Angel

Our World (Sequel to I'm Different)

Ryu’s POV

/FLASHBACK/

“Ryu!” I woke up when I heard someone call my name.

The police officer gestured me forward. Were they going to charge me officially now?

“Y..yes?” I stammered.

“Your lawyer is here.” He said as he removed my handcuff.

“MY LAWYER!?” My eyes widened.

How in the world could I afford a lawyer when I could not even pay for my own lodging? And even if I had any extra money, I would put it into my brother’s medical expenses.

“Are you not coming?” He asked when he saw that I did not move.

“I.. I..” I stuttered, not knowing what to do.

He tapped his foot impatiently, an indication that if I did not follow him, he would bash me up. I followed him out into a room where a man dressed in a suit, looking no older than 30 sat.

“You’re Ryu?” He asked.

I nodded timidly.

“Hi. You can call me Lee. I will be the lawyer for your case, but first, let’s get your bailed out.” He said.

“Bailed.. out? I.. I… I cannot afford..” I muttered.

He flashed me a smile and squeezed my shoulder reassuringly.

“Who said anything about getting money from you?” He asked.

“Can he go now?” Lee asked the police officer.

“Yes. Make sure he is back in court for trial.” The police officer said after Lee signed on the paper.

“Did they ill-treat you when you were here?” He asked me.

I shook my head.

“Good.” He smiled, and then put his arm around me as we headed outside.

“It’s sunny, isn’t it?” He chuckled when I winced at the blinding sunlight.

“Yea.” I mumbled.

“No worries. My car is just over there.” He pointed.

“Come on, get in.” He held the door opened for me.

“Who are you?” I asked.

“I told you, I’m Lee.” He smiled.

“I know. But, I didn’t hire you. I mean, look at me, how can I afford to hire you? Are you here for the wrong person? There may be more than one Ryu here.” I said.

He laughed and crossed his arms.

“You’re Yong Junhyung’s Ryu, right? Ah, wait. That sounds so wrong. I’m sorry.” He laughed.

“You’re Yong Junhyung’s friend, Ryu, right?” He corrected himself.

I nodded.

“There we have it, the correct Ryu. Now, get in. Haneul gets impatient easily.” He winked at me as he shoved me into the car.

“Who’s Haneul?” I asked.

“The person who hired me and paid for you to be bailed out. Yong Junhyung’s wife.” He said as he drove.

“Hyung’s… wife?” I asked.

He nodded.

“Where’s hyung?” I asked.

“In the hospital.” He answered.

“Can I go see him?” I asked.

“Yes, but later on. Haneul wants me to bring you to her.” He said.

Why am I feeling scared even before seeing her? I could tell that she is one fierce soul by the fact she flushed down the heroin without even thinking twice, but now that I am going to meet her, I am freaking out.

“You look nervous. Relax! Haneul’s a very nice girl.” He laughed.

“Re..really?” I asked.

“Yea. But well.. She can be a little bit violent and harsh when she’s angry. But she’s nice if you don’t offend her.” He said.

“We’re here.” He announced.

“Oh. Okay.” I said.

I look out of the window. Why were we in a bookstore? But it has a nice name for a bookstore thou; Skye~

“Go on in. She’s inside.” He said.

“You.. you’re not coming?” I asked.

“I’m a lawyer, boy. Not a babysitter.” He laughed.

“Sorry.” I muttered.

“Just teasing you. Go on in~” He smiled.

I nodded and got out of the car. I stood outside nervously. Just as I was about to push open the door, I heard a feminine voice coming from inside.

“So I’ll leave it to you, okay? Please make sure it’s done prettily.” She said.

“Sure. Let me know after you’ve decided on the colour and design. We can start immediately.” A male voice said.

“Thank you very much.” She said.

Then, the door opened, revealing a few men and a female. The men smiled at me as they made their way out.

“Be careful on your way back.” She said.

“Erm…” I mumbled after they left, leaving me and the female in front of me.

“You’re Ryu?” She asked.

I nodded.

“Come in.” She said, her expression very different from just now. She was warm and friendly before, but now she is just cold and expressionless.

“O..okay.” I mumbled as I stepped into the bookstore.

Stuffs were being packed up in boxes, looking as thou they were about to close this place down. But why close such a pretty place down?

“Want a drink?” She asked.

I shook my head.

“Have you eaten?” She asked.

I shook my head.

“Good. Because you wouldn’t want to have eaten anything after I do this to you.” She said as she walked closer towards me.

“Do...” I had no chance to finish my sentence for I was flipped over her shoulder and slammed down onto the wooden floor.

I stared at her in shock. Did this lady in front of me just flipped me over her shoulder? Where in the world did she get the strength to do that? And, how is it that she is so quick I had no idea it was coming?

“This is just the beginning, Ryu. Are you up for more? I am sure you are. You had all the nerves in the world to come destroy my family. You’ll pay for it now.” She said.

She grabbed me by my collar and swing her fist into my cheek. I winced when her diamond ring cut my cheek. I made a mental note never to buy a diamond ring for my future wife even if I could afford it, or if we happen to get into a fight, I will make her take it off first.

“You almost ruined Junhyung, idiot. I don’t understand why are you so important to him but now I just want to kill you. Do you have any idea what you did!?” She shouted into my face.

She pinned me down onto the floor by sitting one leg on my chest.

“Do you know how happy we were before you introduced that bloody drug to him!?” She screamed as she slapped me.

“You ruined him. My family was already broken, you had to smash the broken pieces even further. Do you feel good about it, huh!? Do you!?” She pulled me up and kicked me in my stomach, sending me flying against the door.

I could open the door and run out, but why didn’t I? I felt like I deserve all these from her. Indeed, I ruined Hyung’s family.

“Come here.” She said.

I could have not moved an inch, but I went over to her instead. Ryu, what’s wrong with you? Or rather, this person in front of me has the ability to summon people like magic.

“Just a bit more.” She said as she gave me a roundhouse kick.

I fell onto the couch, coughing blood out.

“GET UP!” She yelled.

I scrambled to my feet, standing up straight immediately. Is she an army commander or something? I made a mental note to ask hyung about it if I ever walk out alive.

“Why aren’t you fighting back? Is it because I am a woman? You don’t hit woman? What bull. You got the cheek to take drugs and destroy families, don’t you dare sprout such gentlemanly words.” She said.

“It’s not.. like that.” I muttered.

“Then what?” She asked.

“I… I deserve this.” I said.

“I’m so glad you know.” She smiled.

Just as I looked up, I was greeted by her shoe. She kicked me square in my face, sending me falling backwards flat onto the ground. I tried to say something but I out even before I could open my mouth.

When I opened my eyes again, I was still in that position, but I had a pillow under my head and a blanket over me. I groaned when I tried to sit up. I had no idea where exactly was aching because my whole body felt like I was thrown into a dryer and then spun around for an hour before being pulled out. Then again, indeed, what happened to me was almost like that.

I looked around to find myself alone in the bookstore. Did she leave me here? I saw a cup of something on the table and a plate of cookies, with also a piece of folded note under the plate. The note wrote an address and the ward number. It was the hospital I assume hyung is in.

I sat down and took a sip from the cup. It was iced chocolate. The fact it was still iced and not diluted, I guess she did not leave too long ago. The cookies were still warm. Why did she bash me up and then dress my wounds and give me food? So confusing, this girl.

/END OF FLASHBACK/

Hyung was a laughing mess after I finished speaking.

“Is it very funny?” I asked, confused.

He nodded, still laughing and smacking me.

“Ahh ahh~ Pain~” He pouted as he held onto his mouth.

“Hyung, stop laughing.” I said, not feeling amused at all.

“Alright, alright. Sorry.” He apologized, but was still giggling.

“Did she beat you up badly?” He asked, looking at me.

I nodded.

“But that’s Haneul for you. Now that she’s done with the beating, she’ll love you.” He said.

My eyes widened. I cannot imagine her showering me with love. Now when I see her, all I see his her feet coming closer to my face.

“Don’t look so shocked! Haneul is really very nice when she is nice.” He said.

“Of course you say that. She’s your wife.” I muttered.

“It’s true, Ryu. You’ll see for yourself. She bailed you out and hired you a lawyer, didn’t she?” He asked.

“Isn’t you who asked…?” I asked.

“Me? I was planning to, but Ryu, please understand that the past two days was torturous for me. I was in physical and mental pain.” He said.

“I’m sorry, hyung.” I lowered my head.

“It’s not your fault. It’s mine.” He ruffled my hair.

I smiled slightly at him.

“So, now you’re out on bail? There’s no.. verdict yet?” He asked.

I shook my head.

“But I’ll accept anything that comes my way. Just that, my brother…” I mumbled.

“Don’t worry about your brother, Ryu.” He said.

I nodded.

“Ryu, thank you for protecting me and my family.” He said.

“It’s nothing, hyung.” I smiled.

“What do you mean by nothing? It’s a lot, Ryu. If not for me, you wouldn’t…” He bit his lower lip.

“Hyung, I’ll be honest. I sold myself to him to get money for my brother, I only added another request when I found out about what noona did.” I said.

“Ahhh~ So it’s like an add-on? Buy one get one free?” He teased.

“Ahh hyung!” I punched his arm lightly.

We were playing with each other when the door opened, revealing Haneul. I automatically stood up when she looked at me. Hyung laughed and pulled me to sit down.

“Lionny, you’re scaring him.” He said.

“Am I?” She asked, glaring at me.

I shook my head frantically.

“Come here.” She said to me.

“Huh?” I muttered, looking at her, and then hyung.

‘Go.’ Hyung mouthed.

I followed Haneul out. I walked behind her until she stopped and turned to face me with arms crossed.

“I spoke to your lawyer.” She said.

I kept quiet, waiting for her to continue.

“It would be impossible to escape jail term, but we’ll plead for a lighter sentence.” She said.

I nodded.

“Do you have a place to stay now?” She asked.

I shook my head.

“I knew it.” She muttered as she pulled out a pair of keys from her pocket.

“These are the keys to the bookstore. You may stay there for now. There’s a couch you can sleep on, there is also a kitchen where you can cook. You may read the books if you wish.” She said.

“Why?” I asked.

“Why? Why what? Why you should sleep on the couch? Or why you should cook in the kitchen? Or why you should read the books? What why?” She asked.

“Why… so nice to me?” I asked.

“Aren’t you Junhyung’s friend? Or is it his one-sided thinking that you guys were friends?” She asked.

I shook my head.

“Shaking of head means no. No to what? No, you’re not Junhyung’s friend, or no, it is not his one-sided thinking?” She asked.

“No, it is not his one-sided thinking.” I said quietly.

“Exactly. Junhyung wouldn’t be pleased to know his friend is sleeping under the bridge. And as you can see, he is not in any condition to go look for you and bring you home now. So as his wife, I’m just doing what he would do on his behalf.” She said.

“And the lawyer?” I asked.

“Same reason.” She said.

“How can I ever repay…” I muttered.

“Repay? Repay by living well and being nice to that idiot.” She said as she turned to walk off.

“Noona!” I called out.

“What?” She asked, turning back.

“Tha… thank you.” I said.

“You’re welcome. I stocked up the fridge, so eat till your heart’s content.” She smiled.

SHE SMILED!

Junhyung’s POV

I was discharged from the hospital a few days later. I heard from Haneul that Ryu is staying at the bookstore now. We have also decided on the design of how the new place would be. Constructions would start very soon. Haneul wanted to delay it for a little while, but I had no idea why.

“You okay?” Haneul asked me as we stood in front of the court.

I nodded.

She held onto my hand and smiled.

“Whatever the verdict is, Junroro, it’s the best outcome amongst the worst.” She said.

I kissed her on her cheek before we went inside. We were there for Ryu. The verdict would be announced today. Although we had already expected something, it was tough not to feel nervous. Haneul and I held onto each other’s hands tightly as the judge announced.

Ryu would be sentenced to a year in prison for selling and taking heroin. It was a considerably light sentence. Jace’s police friend put in a good word for him as well. But why does it still feel so sad?

“Hyung, it’s fine. It’s a very light sentence, isn’t it?” Ryu smiled.

“But..” I muttered, staring at his cuffed hands.

“Hyung, please smile.” He said, trying to be cute.

I sighed and nodded.

“If you behave well inside, you might get out faster than you expect.” Haneul said.

“Thank you, noona. I don’t know how to repay you for this.” Ryu said.

“I told you before, didn’t I?” She said.

He smiled and nodded.

“But I have one request.” He said.

“What is it?” Haneul’s lawyer friend asked.

“I would like to see my brother. Just once.” Ryu pleaded.

The lawyer looked a little troubled.

“Please. Do this for him.” Haneul said.

“I’ll… try.” He said as he headed away.

We waited patiently in the holding room until the lawyer came back with the police officers.

“Let’s go.” He said.

“Where?” Ryu asked.

“To see your brother, didn’t you ask for it?” The lawyer smiled, and Ryu burst into tears.

***
“Not this level.” Haneul said when Ryu wanted to press the number on the lift.

“Huh?” Ryu looked at us, confused.

I was confused too. How did Haneul know better which level Ryu’s brother was in? Haneul pressed onto the highest level, and then smiled like nothing happened.

When we stepped out of the lift, the entire level looked very different. It was like a private hospital more than a public one. The ambience and everything else had a different feel to it.

“My brother.. is not here.” Ryu said.

“He was not here. But now he is.” Haneul smiled.

We followed Haneul as she led us to a room at the corner. It was a private room with private nurses who greeted us when we stepped in.

“How is he today?” Haneul asked one of the nurses.

“Good. Energetic, to be exact.” The nurse said.

Haneul smiled and gestured Ryu and I over.

“How…?” Ryu muttered when he saw his brother in the room, poking on an iPad.

I was surprised too. I saw Ryu’s brother once. He was so sickly he could not even speak properly. But now he is playing on an iPad?

“Hooking him up on the same machine and same medication wouldn’t change a thing, Ryu. I’ve gotten other doctors to check on your brother. He is on a new medication now, and with exercise, fresh air and some fun, I’m sure he’ll be out even before you.” Haneul said.

Ryu fell to his knees and started crying.

“Do you know how long has it been since I saw my brother smile!?” He cried so hard we were confused as to what to do.

“Stop crying already. Do you want your brother to see you like that?” Haneul asked as she wiped Ryu’s tears.

“Come on. Your brother has been asking for you.” She said, pulling him into the room.

Ryu’s brother’s eyes widened when he saw Ryu. He dropped the iPad and almost fell out of bed if not for Ryu who ran towards him to hold him.

“HYUNG!!!!!!!!” He cried and hugged Ryu tightly.

After their mini reunion, they finally realized we were still there.

“Junnie hyung, Haneul noona, annyeong.” Ryu’s brother greeted.

“Hey, Kyu, how are you?” I asked.

“I’m good.” He smiled.

“Really?” Ryu asked, pinching his brother’s cheek.

We talked to them for awhile before heading out, leaving the both of them to bond. We watch from outside as Ryu told his brother everything, and then they hugged and cried in each other’s arms.

“Let’s sit down. Are you not tired?” Haneul asked, looking at my cast.

I let her help me to sit down, and then I turned to her, holding onto her hand tightly.

“You never told me about this.” I said.

“Do you not approve?” She asked.

“This is exactly what I have been wanting to do, Lionny.” I said.

The moment I saw Ryu’s brother, I was suspecting that perhaps he has been on the wrong medication for a long time. How is it that with medication and treatment, he does not get better but instead get worse? There was definitely something wrong. I wanted to do something, but I got tangled in that crap on the way.

“Yea, I know. I did it for you.” She smiled.

“Is this also why you delayed the construction? You paid for this first?” I asked.

She shrugged her shoulders.

“How much is the deposit? I’ll pay for it.” I said.

“Of course you’re paying.” She said.

“Of course I am.” I laughed, snuggling my face into her neck.

“Did I marry an angel or something? Hmm?” I asked.

“Go away, it’s ticklish.” She laughed, pushing me away, but I continued to snuggle my face into her neck, causing laughter from her.

Haneul ah, I am not the angel. You are. 

***
tumblrm67nbnehk11r7mqq6.gifJunhyung after listening to Ryu telling him what Haneul did to him

tumblrmj4zzmsrkn1s263ju.gifRyu when Haneul came in

tumblrmdp7ij682l1rsvy3b.gifRyu: Hyung, please smile.

tumblrmk2qhoa44u1qf7iqf.gifHaneul: Do you not approve?

***
Yes, Ilhoon is Ryu :)

tumblrmg0p183aeu1ruj1zj.gif