Being selfish

Our World (Sequel to I'm Different)

Minji’s POV

I rushed to the hospital after receiving Junhyung’s call. I had no idea what condition Seungho was in. Junhyung did not make himself clear, or rather, I did not give him a chance to. The nurse stared at me with wide eyes when I ran in.

“Seungho! How.. how is he?!” I panted.

“Oh! I’m so sorry! I forgot to call you!” She said, bowing to me in apology.

“It’s okay. Just tell me, how is he?” I asked.

“Your friend must have called you. He is fine. He has woken up.” She said, smiling brightly.

“He.. what? He is up? You’re not kidding me? Am I dreaming?” I asked, slapping myself.

“Hey! Don’t do that!” She caught my wrist.

“Why are you behaving like that friend of yours? Tsk~ He’s awake, but still very weak. He needs a lot of rest. Also, he may be a little bit slow in recognizing stuff and talking, but that’s okay. It’ll get better gradually.” She said.

“Can I go in? Please~” I pleaded.

She bit her lower lip. It was way past visiting hours.

“Please!!” I begged.

“Alright. I did not see you.” She said, going back to her table.

“Thank you so much!” I said as I hurried into the room.

I sat down beside him carefully, not wanting to wake him up. I held onto his hand gently and watched him sleep. I could not restrain myself from touching him. I caressed his face and played with his hair and fingers. I miss the warmth in his body so much.

He opened his eyes slowly, and then smiled weakly at me.

“I’m sorry I woke you up. I just…” I bit the inside of my mouth to prevent myself from crying, but it failed.

He raised his hand to touch my cheek, and wiped away my tears with the pad of his thumb.

“Don’t cry~” He said weakly.

“Do you know how worried I was? Do you know… Do you know how scared I was? I.. I thought I was going to lose you. I’ve never felt so scared in my entire life. The past week was like hell for me. I couldn’t do anything. I just thought, what am I going to do if you died? I want to die with you.” I cried.

“Shhh~” He patted my head while I cried into his shoulder.

“Please don’t do this to me anymore. Please don’t scare me like that. Please.” I cried.

He said nothing, but kept on smoothing my hair. After I calmed myself, I sat up and looked at him. He smiled at me, and I smiled back.

“So pretty with that smile.” He said.

“Are you trying to say I am ugly when I don’t smile?” I .

He shook his head.

“Are you hungry?” I asked.

He shook his head.

“What time is it?” He asked.

“4.30AM.” I said.

“You should get some sleep.” He said.

“I’m very awake now.” I said.

“Where’s Minki?” He asked.

“She’s home with the MBLAQ boys. She’s been staying here with me for the past week. She’s so tired.” I said.

“Did you go home?” He asked.

“I did, just now. But then I came back after receiving Junhyung’s call.” I said.

He chuckled as he looked at me from head to toe.

“What?” I asked, looking down at myself.

“Stealing my clothes~” He said.

I was dressed in his tee and boxer. I don’t usually do such things but I missed him so much I just wanted something of his on me.

“Because I missed you!” I covered my face in embarrassment.

“And so do I.” He said, pulling my hand down.

I rested my head against his chest, poking his chin for fun.

“It’s ticklish~” He said.

“Hehe~ Really?” I asked, tickling his chin even more.

“Did you help me shave?” He asked.

“Of course. You know how much I couldn’t stand you unshaved.” I said.

“Have Minki been good?” He asked.

“Surprisingly, yes. Every day she just sits next to you and stare at you. She’s very sad. You need to cheer her up. You know, before they pushed you into the operating theater, she stopped them because she wanted to kiss you on your lips and tell you she loves you.” I said, recalling that moment.

Tears watered his eyes.

“I feel so horrible for making the both of you go through this.” He said.

“Now that you’re up, you got to repay.” I said.

He nodded.

“You wrote this?” He asked, looking at his palm where I wrote.

“I just… wanted to be there with you.. In some way or another. It’s lame. I know but… I was desperate to let you know I was here for you.” I said.

“It’s not lame. Thank you. I may be unconscious, but I can feel. Thank you so much, baby.” He said.

“Just be well, that’s all I ask for.” I said.

We enjoyed the silence together. I was about to drift off into sleep when he spoke.

“You said… Junhyung called.. just now?” He asked.

“Yea. He called me.” I said.

“Where did he go to?” He asked.

“He wasn’t here when I got here. But I don’t care.” I said.

He looked at me, upset.

“I mean.. He landed you in this state, Seungho. I just can’t… forgive him so easily.” I said.

“But I’m worried for him, Minji ah~ He didn’t look okay.” He said.

“I think it’s just guilt eating him alive. He pretty much hides himself from everyone.” I said.

He frowned.

“Would you please give him a call? I’m worried. I’m not asking you to forgive him like instantly, but.. please? Do this for me? He was injured and all just now when he came in. I wanted to hold his hand, but he ran away.” He said.

“I told you, its guilt!” I looked away.

I should not be angry at Seungho, but I was annoyed. And, did Seungho say Junhyung was injured? What happened?

“He’s like my brother, Minji. It’s okay if you don’t want to call him, but can I at least borrow your phone?” He asked.

“I know he is like a real brother to you, but I think he deserves a little bit of punishment. And I don’t think I am wrong for being angry. He almost killed you, and he did that horrible thing to Haneul. And gosh, Seungho, he did drugs too.” I said.

“Understand him.” He said.

“I can’t. I’m sorry.” I said.

“I guess no one could.” He said.

“You know, Seungho. Sometimes I feel that being your friend would be better than being your wife. You seem to care more about them than you care for me.” I said.

“How could you say that…?” He asked, looking sad.

“How could I not? This is not the first time. Things happen, I get so worried, but all you ask if how is this person, how is that person~ You never ever asked ‘Minji, how are you?’. I ing camped outside this room for the past week. I left for awhile to go get a drink with Haneul and what happened? Your heart stopped. Then I had to sign on the agreement to put you through that surgery that may kill you instead, but I had no choice. I couldn’t let you be in a coma forever. Thankfully, you woke up, or else I would never be able to face anyone again. I’m not asking you to have an entire celebration to let the world know about me, but at least, I wished you would asked about me first before you asked about anyone else. A simple ‘are you doing fine?’ would have meant a lot, you know? But nothing. You said nothing. He is important to you, I know. But you’re very important to me too.” I said.

“I…” He muttered.

“But it’s okay. Because I’m your wife, because I love you. It’s fine. I’ll go and look for him now. Get some rest. Who else do you want to look for? Why not just name me everyone and I’ll go make sure they are fine?” I said.

He shook his head.

I should not be saying such things to him now but he was driving me crazy. Of course, I was worried for Junhyung. I said mean things to him and I was afraid given his state of mind he would do something stupid. I got even more worried when Seungho said he was injured. I hated Junhyung for what he did, but I still love him as a friend.

But all I wanted was to spend tonight with Seungho, just the two of us. I did not even call the MBLAQ boys to let them know. I wanted tonight to be just for us. I know I am being selfish by doing this, but I missed him so much. I am so tired I want to drift off into sleep on his chest with him telling me that he would be okay and that I could sleep and wake up to still find him alive. I want him to tell me this is not a dream. But instead…

I headed out of the room, clutching my phone tightly in my hand.

“Please look after him. I need to go get some things done.” I told the nurse.

She nodded.

“If you’re going to look for that friend of yours, please make sure he gets his injuries cleaned up. And he does not look too well.” She said.

“When did he come?” I asked.

“He came the moment you guys left. Then he sat outside until I suggested for him to get a drink because he looked so tired.” She said.

Was he around all along? He was really worried for Seungho, was he?

“But he came back with a lot of injuries. I asked him what happened and he said he fell. But how is it possible to fall like that? He looked more he got knocked over by a lorry. I wanted to dress his wounds, but Seungho woke up, so I called for the doctor. After the doctor checked on Seungho, he did speak to him. But your friend said something weird.” She said.

“What did he say?” I asked.

“He thanked the doctor and asked what could he do to repay him for saving his hyung’s life. He wanted to donate his organs and all. The doctor said he could apply but those lucky patients would need to wait because he was still young and healthy. He has a long life to lead. Then he mumbled that those patients need not wait long, and went inside. He ran out crying after awhile. I could not follow him because I needed to be here. And you came shortly after.” She said.

“Thanks.” I said.

Junhyung did not really think I was serious when I asked him to kill himself, did he? How would I ever want him dead? Junhyung, don’t be silly.