What if

Our World (Sequel to I'm Different)

Minji’s POV

I raced back to the ward, but stopped at the doors of the ICU. I did not dare to take another step. I did not want to move. I did not want anyone to tell me that my Seungho is gone. I did not want to face reality.

“What are you waiting for? Go in!” Haneul said, pushing me.

“I’m scared.” I cried.

“You’re scared? He is even more scared than you are now. He is alone inside. His heart stopped, but he is not dead. He needs you. He needs you to be there to guide him back. If you are going to stay out here just because you’re scared, what rights do you have to call yourself his wife? How are you going to answer to Minki when she ask where her Deedee is? Are you going to tell her that because of your own fear, you let Seungho slip away?” She asked.

I shook my head.

“Then go in! Go in and grab him back!” She pushed me.

I in a deep breath before running to Seungho’s room.

‘Wait for me, baby. You’re not allowed to die without my permission.’

“Minji!” A voice called out as soon as I neared Seungho’s room.

“Mommy!!” Minki called out, running towards me.

“Hey, sweetheart. It’s okay.” I hugged her tightly.

“Deedee~ Deedee~” She cried.

“Shhh~ Deedee will be okay.” I hushed her.

“The doctor…” I cut him off before he could finish.

“What are you doing here, Junhyung? Get lost.” I glared at him.

“I… Hyung…” He muttered.

“Get lost. You’re not welcomed here.” I said, carrying Minki in my arms as I headed towards the room.

“I just want to know if hyung is okay.” Junhyung said.

“You care? I thought you hated him so much you wanted him dead?” I asked.

“Minji, please~” He pleaded, tears swimming in his eyes.

“Go away.” I said.

“PLEASE! LET ME STAY! I JUST WANT TO KNOW IF HYUNG IS OKAY! THAT’S ALL! I BEG YOU! PLEASE!!!” He cried.

I looked away.

“Junhyung ahjusshi~” Minki pouted.

“Shh~” I hugged Minki, letting her bury her face in my chest.

“Minji, please!” He knelt down.

To say I was not shocked by his actions would be a lie. I never expected Junhyung to actually kneel down for this.

“Get up. Stay, but I don’t want to see your face.” I said.

“Thank you, Minji. Thank you. I.. I’ll just be behind. I wouldn’t appear in front of you.” He said.

I had a strong urge to run into the room to hold Seungho’s hand tightly so he would know that I am here, but I did not want to interfere with the doctor’s work. I could only wait outside with Minki. The curtains were drew, therefore we could not even look inside.

“How is he!?” I asked when I saw a nurse run out.

“The doctor is still trying to revive him. Don’t worry. We’ll do our best.” She said before running off.

“What the is this, Seungho? I left you for a while to go get some air and this is what you give me? I’ve been awake for four days and all I ask for is a little bit of time to relax. Why are you doing this to me? Is this your way of repaying me!? What kind of stupid husband are you!?” I cried into my palms.

Minki hugged my arm, patting my back lightly. I pulled her into my embrace, crying hard.

“Mommy, don’t cwry~” Minki pouted, wiping my tears away with her palms.

“Sweetheart, but Mommy is scared.” I said.

“Minki is here.” She said. Her words made me cry even harder.

 “HYUNG!! HYUNG!!!” I turned to find Mir yelling and the rest of MBLAQ running towards us.

Did Junhyung call them?

“How is hyung? Minji, how is hyung?” Mir asked worriedly.

“I don’t know.” I choked out.

He was trying hard to hold back his tears but he lost it when Minki hugged him.

“He’ll be okay. Hyung always escapes death.” G.O said, squeezing my arm lightly.

I nodded, not knowing of a better response.

‘Please stop torturing me like this, Seungho ah~ We’re all here for you. Please be okay.’

The doctor came out shortly after, looking as if he had went to battle.

“Please tell me he is okay.” I pleaded.

He sighed and nodded.

“Oh my gosh, thank you so much.” I cried into my palms.

“Thank him, because he is stubborn enough to not let himself die. But we need to operate on him. We need to clear the blood clot in his brain, or else it would be dangerous for him. The reason why his heart stopped was because his brain couldn’t send the signal to his body to pump blood and oxygen. Fortunately, the man who was outside here just now alerted the nurses when he realize a change in his heartbeat, or else…” He bit his lower lip.

“What man?” Joon asked.

I turned to look over to where Junhyung supposedly was, but he was not there anymore.

“So, what now? I thought you said it was too dangerous to operate on him and that the blood clot would clear on its own?” I said.

“It does not seems like the case. It’s either we take the risk or this.” He said, looking at Seungho.

I looked at the boys, and then Minki who was holding tightly onto my hand. I squatted down to her level.

“Sweetheart.” I called out.

She looked confused. I felt so bad for putting her in this situation. She is three, she should be playing with toys and drawing on the walls instead of being here in the hospital having to witness her father go through all these.

She hugged me tightly, not saying anything.

“We have to make a choice. Every minute we waste, the chance of losing him gets higher.” The doctor said.

I looked at the boys. I did not know what to do.

“Do it. Seungho would want to take the risk. He is not someone who would sit there and wait for a miracle to happen. He would make the miracle happen.” G.O said.

“But what if…” I cried.

“There are a lot of ‘what ifs’ in life, Minji. But if we don’t take the step, it’ll always remain as a ‘what if’. Are you willing to watch Seungho stay in a comatose state forever?” He asked.

“It’s easy for you to say! He is my husband! What am I going to do if he dies!?” I yelled.

“He is my brother, my best friend and MBLAQ’s leader! Do you think I feel good making this risky decision!? But if we don’t give it a try, it’ll really be hopeless for hyung! He’ll be lying there for the rest of his life! How different is it from being dead!?” He shouted back.

“Minji, please. Be strong. Do you remember what hyung always say? ‘The outcome doesn’t matter, but what matters is that you dare take that step and give it a try.’” He said.

“But what if he dies? What if he dies!?” I cried.

“What if he lives? What if he wakes up? Have you thought about it?” He asked.

I looked away, and it was only then I realize Minki was not around me anymore.

“Where’s Minki?” I asked, my blood running cold.