Important

Our World (Sequel to I'm Different)

Junhyung’s POV

I squeezed my eyes shut as I felt him glide the tip of the blade around my tongue, as though trying to draw some patterns on it. I clenched my fists tight as I endured the slow pain.

 “Any last words, son?” He asked as he pressed the blade down onto my tongue. I could taste a faint metallic taste of blood.

I shook my head.

“Then, forever hold your peace.” He smirked.

“It’ll be quick.” He whispered into my ear as he pieced the blade deeper into my tongue.

The tears I tried to control spilled as the pain overtook my emotions. I could hear Ryu yelling and screaming. I wanted to tell him to stop because it was okay, but how do I say it anymore?

Haneul, I love you. Would you still be able to hear me even if I am unable to say it in words again?

I was snapped out of my thoughts by a loud crashing sound. He must have gotten a shock too because in one swift movement, the blade he was holding sliced my tongue open. Blood from the wound filled every corner of my mouth in a scary speed. I was literally swallowing my own blood.

“You’re under arrested.” I heard a voice say.

The entire place was filled with armed police officers. A gun was pointed to the head of the boss. He glared hard at me, as though knowing it was my doing that the police are here.

“I’M GONNA KILL YOU!” He shouted as he raised the blade in his hand, lunging towards me but fell flat on the ground, groaning in pain when he got shot.

“BABY BOY!!!” A familiar voice yelled. Jace.

“IDIOT! IDIOT! IDIOT!” He slapped my chest like a girl, and then pulled me into his embrace.

I had lots to tell him. I want to explain everything to him, I wanted to tell him all that he demanded to know, but I could not. The blood from the wound was starting to choke me.

/FLASHBACK

“What’s up, baby boy?” Jace answered when I called him.

“Hey, Jace.” I greeted.

“Yea~ What’s up?” He asked.

“Can I ask a favour from you?” I asked.

“You paid me no visit when you came back. All you did was drop me a three word SMS and now you’re asking for a favour?” He asked.

“It’s important, Jace. Please.” I pleaded.

“What is it?” He asked, sounding serious.

“I… I have to go back to that club tonight.” I said.

“What club?” He asked.

I explained to him how I met Ryu and how I was going to get Ryu out of this crap.

“Baby boy, I don’t know if you realize but this is a one way ticket straight into the arms of death.” He said.

“That’s why I am asking for your help.” I said.

“How do you want me to help you?” He asked.

“If I don’t call you by 12AM, would you come and get me?” I asked.

“Baby boy, I think you are a little confused here. I am not a police officer. How am I going to get you? Go in with both hands empty and demand for your return?” He asked.

“Is that a no?” I asked.

“Do you think I’ll let you die?” He asked.

I remained silent.

“I cannot do this alone, neither can you.” He said.

“Then what?” I asked.

“The only people who can help you now is the police.” He said.

I froze. By contacting the police would mean everything I did would be exposed.

“I know what you’re afraid of.” He said.

“I’m not afraid of being exposed. I have to face it someday anyway. We can’t hide forever. So why not let that day be today? But Beast… and Haneul..” I muttered

I cannot imagine the impact on them if everything would be exposed.

“I am not a police officer, but I have close connections with them. I’ll help you if you let me. It’ll be a win-win situation.” He said.

“I’ll do anything.” I said.

“For once, you’re not dead stubborn on your suicide mission. I’m glad. I’ll call you in awhile.” He said.

After I ended the call with Jace, I sat alone in my car, picturing all the negative impact that would hit both Beast and Haneul. I am ready to accept the consequences of my actions, but I am not ready to let them share the consequences with me.

“I thought you wouldn’t answer.” Jace said as I answered the call.

“Why wouldn’t I?” I asked.

***
I arrived at the police station. Jace was waiting for me outside.

“Come.” He said, holding my hand and leading me inside like I was a little boy.

His friend came shortly after. He looked no older than Jace or me. They both shared a similar boyish smile. We may be of almost the same generation, but look at what other people are doing with their lives, and then there is me, always screwing up.

“Hi.” He greeted me.

I smiled and bowed slightly.

“He is… a little scared and sensitive. Can I stay here with him?” Jace asked.

“Sure.” His friend said as he sat across Jace and I.

“No worries.” Jace whispered to me as he held onto my hand tightly.

“Tell me everything.” His friend said.

I begin to tell him how I met Ryu, how I started drugs, how I quit but how I got hooked onto it again. I mentioned to him Ryu’s boss and everything else I knew about him. I also told him what I was planning to do.

He did not have a pleasant look after I was done. He went back out, and then returned shortly with a few other people. I tensed at the sight of them. Were they going to arrest me?

“What’s going on?” Jace asked, shielding me protectively.

“Relax, Jace. If you want your friend to be safe tonight, you got to let us plan together, no?” His friend said.

 “I’m going to make a deal with you. Help us get that guy, and we’ll give you all the support you need.” He said.

I bit my lower lip, not knowing that to say. He gestured everyone including Jace out of the room. He sat on the table, looking at me.

“I know your ultimate worry isn’t death.” He said.

I nodded.

“In addition to support, I’ll pretend I heard nothing you said.” He said.

My eyes widened.

“It’s illegal, but screw the rules.” He winked at me.

“Why?” I asked.

“What why? Why am I letting you go? Because sometimes, to get the lion, we got to give up the rabbits. We can’t have both.” He said.

“So you’re indirectly saying that I am not as important as he that’s why you can afford to give me up?” I asked.

He laughed and squeezed my shoulder.

“Yea. That’s right. But it is also because of all the good words Jace put in for you. Jace isn’t someone to praise others, but he spoke so highly of you, and seeing you for myself, I can confirmed his words are true. We, police, isn’t just about wanting to arrest people. We have feelings too. I don’t want to ruin you. You have repented, so why make a big fuss out of it? We all have pasts, don’t we?” He said.

I looked down.

“But I cannot guarantee if you take drugs again I will let you off.” He said.

“I’ll never.” I muttered.

I told them what I was planning to do, and I hear out theirs too. In the end, we agreed on a final plan to lure the boss out using both Ryu and myself. Turned out that Ryu’s boss was someone they have been plotting to arrest for a long time but he always manages to escape.

“Even if I am going to die, don’t bother saving me. You have to arrest him.” I said.

“We’ll not let you die, and we’ll arrest him too.” His friend assured me.

I smiled and nodded.

“You okay?” Jace asked when we were alone.

“Yea. Why not?” I asked.

Does… Haneul know?” He asked.

I shrugged my shoulders.

“What does that mean?” He asked.

“I did mention to her, but she was asleep.” I said.

“Haneul is going to be so mad. She’s going to kill both of us.” He muttered.

“Haneul wouldn’t kill us. She’ll make us kill ourselves.” I said.

He stared at me for a second, and then burst into laughter.

“I KNOW, RIGHT! THAT GIRL!” He laughed.

***
“Be safe. If they don’t charge in at the verge of your death, I’ll grab their gun and go in on my own.” Jace said.

“Don’t do that!” I laughed.

“Be safe, baby boy. You cannot let me face Haneul alone.” He hugged me.

“I wouldn’t.” I said.

“Junhyung,” His friend called out just as I was about to leave.

“Hmm?” I responded.

“In this situation, you are the rabbit and he is the lion. You may not seem like an important character here. But out of this situation, to your wife, your kids, your friends, you’re the lion. You’re important. Whatever that may happen later on, don’t let yourself die. Don’t give up on your life for we will not give up on yours.” He said.

I nodded.

/END OF FLASHBACK

“You’ll be okay. You have to be okay. You still have to protect me from Haneul, remember? I risked my friendship with her for you. You cannot just let me be.” He said as he patted my back.

He did not bother even though he had my blood all over him. He kept holding onto me until the medics came.

When I opened my eyes again, I saw Haneul standing against the wall, arms crossed, looking at me angrily. Jace was kneeling next to her with both his arms raised up in the air.

“He… is awake.” Jace said softly.

“I can see that.” Haneul said.

“Call the… doctor?” Jace asked.

Haneul slammed onto the emergency button roughly, startling both Jace and I.

The nurse rushed in, and then ran out again when she saw that I was awake. The doctor came in and checked on me. He said that apart from a broken leg, a deep cut on my tongue in which he had stitched up and physical cuts and bruises, I was pretty much okay. I wanted to ask about Ryu, but I could not speak because my tongue felt sore. I could only hum in response.

After the doctor left, Jace and I exchanged glances. He looked at me pitifully. Guessing from the tiredness on his face, I believe he has been in that position for a really long time. I turn to look at Haneul who did not bother to hide the fact she was angry. I knew I was in deep trouble this time because all the other times I did stuff like that, she would get mad at me but not instantly. She would always shower me with love before yelling at me, but this time was different.

She walked closer to me. I pouted at her, trying to look as cute and pitiful as possible although I know this is absolutely the wrong time to be doing something like that. She sat down beside me, pushed my fringe out of my face and cupped one side of my cheek.

“So, do you want to kill yourself directly or do you want to give me an explanation and then proceed on to killing yourself?” She asked as she pulled out a pocketknife and pressed it against my palm. 

***
Uh oh, angry Haneul is angry ><

tumblrlyj47cmhma1qhcimi.gif