Risk

Our World (Sequel to I'm Different)

Minji’s POV

“Minki!!” I yelled, looking around.

The boys were a little startled, but then Mir smiled and pointed into the room.

“She’s here.” She said.

I watch as Minki lean against the bed, patting Seungho’s chest lightly. She was looking at her father with those eyes that would melt any man’s heart.

“Sweetheart~” I called out as I entered the room.

She turned to me and smiled.

“Deedee is sweeping~” She said.

“Sleeping.” I corrected her.

“Sweeeeping~” She tried.

I laughed at her mispronunciation. I helped her sit on the bed next to Seungho, where she rested her cheek onto Seungho’s chest, her palm caressing Seungho’s cheek lightly.

“Should we take the risk, darling?” I asked her.

She looked at me with her big eyes.

I turned to look at the boys who were teary.

“Get the doctor, please?” I said.

“I’ll go.” Joon volunteered.

The doctor came and did the necessary checks. He also told us how the entire operation process would be and approximately how long it would take. He warned us of risks that might happen during the surgery as well.

“Can I… have a few moments with him?” I asked.

“Sure. I’ll go get the operating theater ready, and then the nurses will come and take him there.” He said.

“Thanks.” I said.

I let the boys speak to their hyung first, while I headed outside. I searched the corridors for Junhyung. I am sure he is still lingering around somewhere. He was just doing what I told him to do; get out of my sight.

I smiled to myself when I caught sight of his shadow. He was hiding in one of the gap, but that stupid man must have never thought that the light above his head would cast a shadow so obvious.

“Seungho will be going for the operation.” I said, pretending to be on the phone so as not to expose him.

“It’s risky but I think Seungho would want to take the risk. Like G.O said, he would not want to sit around for a miracle to happen. He would make the miracle happen. I trust that he would be strong.” I said.

I heard him try to hold back his tears.

“Seungho is strong. I trust him. What we can do now is just be here for him.” I said.

I saw him squat down, burying his face into his knees as he tried to muffle his sobs. For some odd reason, I kind of wish Haneul was here to hold him.

***
“Hey, Lucky~” I said, holding his hand tightly, pushing his hair to the side.

“Just because I worried you so much in the past you have to pay me back in this way now, hmm?” I said.

“Whatever it is, we’ll talk about it when you wake up. You got to be strong, darling. You have all of us here supporting you. Don’t you dare give up, I’m warning you.” I continued.

“My strong baby, you’re so brave. You’re a wonderful friend, husband and father. I love you, my dear. Please be strong. Minki, the boys and me, we’re all waiting for you. Minki misses you a lot, do you know? She’s been such a good girl I think we should give her a present.” I said.

A knock on the door distracted me.

“We have to go.” The nurse said.

“Give me three minutes.” I said.

I grabbed a marker from the side and turned his hand over so his palm would be facing me. ‘Be strong. I love you.’; I wrote.

I folded his fingers in and gave him a kiss on his forehead.

“I’ll see you later.” I whispered.

I let the nurses take him.

“DEEDEE!!!” Minki yelled, breaking free from my grip out of a sudden.

“Sweetheart!” I yelled after her.

She ran so quickly even the boys had difficulties catching up. She stopped in front of the nurses, blocking their way.

“Minki dear, be a good girl.” I tried to coax her.

She ignored me and tried to climb onto the bed where Seungho was.

“Deedee!! Deedee!!!” She cried.

“Shhh~ Shh~” Cheondong hushed her, carrying her up.

She struggled hard, trying to break free from his arms. She kept crying and pointing at Seungho.

“I think… she wants to perhaps say something to Seungho. Let her be near him.” A soft voice said.

We turned to find Junhyung there, but he was avoiding our gaze.

Cheondong did as he was told and true enough, Minki snuggled close to Seungho, cupped his cheeks and gave him a kiss on his lips.

“I love you, Deedee~” She said with accurate pronunciation.

She then obediently let Cheondong carry her off the bed.

‘Be strong.’ I muttered as they pushed him into the operating theater.

The surgery was a major one and it took many hours. No one was willing to leave. We took turns to nap and watch over Minki. While we made the benches outside the operating theater our temporary home, I noticed Junhyung standing at a corner. He never sat down or moved from where he was standing. It has been eight hours and he was still there.

“Sit down.” I said to him when I woke up to find everyone asleep.

He did not respond to me, perhaps unsure if I was talking to him or not.

“Yong Junhyung, sit down.” I said.

He looked at me, and then hurried to try hide himself.

“Why the hell are you trying to hide? No matter where you hide, I can still see you. So it’s either you get out, or you sit down.” I said, frustrated.

“Sorry.” He muttered.

“Sit down. How long have you been standing? He wouldn’t be out so soon.” I said.

He shook his head.

“Then get out.” I said out of anger.

I did not mean to say that. I felt bad when he turned his back and headed out. I saw him lean against the wall outside, trying to take peeks inside.

“Idiot~” I grumbled under my breath, but I was not sure if I was referring to him or myself. Myself, perhaps.

Junhyung’s POV

I had no idea how long I stood, but I could not bear to move away. I needed to know if he was okay. I was afraid that if I left and come back, something would happen and I would not know. My heart was not at peace. I landed the hyung who love and care for me so much into this state today. I do not blame Minji’s hostility towards me. I deserve it, don’t I? And honestly, I was quite glad that she was being like that.

My heart ached as I looked at the sad faces of the MBLAQ boys. My own selfishness and narrow-mindedness caused this to happen. What I am feeling now is more than just simply guilt. I had no idea how to describe the uneasiness in my heart. How can I make things better? Or rather, would things ever become better?

Even if I could face Seungho again, could I ever face Haneul? Also, Ji Eun, Tae Hyun and Loki, do I still have the rights to be their father after doing such horrible things to their mother. Loki would be so upset with me. Jace and Haneul’s parents, I swore to take good care of her but look what I done. And lastly, Beast, how am I going to face them? What am I going to say?

And even if they could all forgive me, could I forgive myself? I doubt.

I was snapped out of my thoughts when I heard noises inside.

“How is he?” I heard Minji asked the doctor.

I opened the door slightly so I could hear.

“The surgery was successful, but tonight is critical. If he doesn’t wake up, then…” His voice trails off.

“So the battle is not over yet, I guess?” Minji said with a slight smile.

“I’m afraid so.” The doctor said.

“Thank you.” She said.

“He’s strong. As a doctor, I can only say lets hope for the best, but as a person, I want to say this man is very strong, there is a high chance he would wake up. Stay with him. He needs it.” He said.

They thanked the doctor, and then let him leave. I stopped the doctor when he stepped out.

“Is he really okay? Does he need anything? Blood? Organs? Whatever I can donate, I am willing to donate to him if it means he would be okay. Can brain be donated? Like take half of mine to replace with whichever part of his that is injured?” I asked.

“Come to think of it, no. Don’t take my brain. I’m stupid. Hyung is smart. I don’t want him to become stupid like me. What else can I do? Huh?” I asked again.

He laughed and shook his head.

“Firstly, there’s no such thing as a live donor brain transplant. That’s only for the liver, and his liver is doing fine. Don’t worry for now. Unless he does not wake up tonight, then start to worry.” He said, patting me on my back for leaving.

“Please be okay, Seungho hyung.” I muttered as I watch them push him back up to the ICU.

I took a step to follow them, and it was only now I realize how painful and weak my legs were. But what is this pain as compared to those I inflicted on people’s life?