Helping you to help myself

Our World (Sequel to I'm Different)

Haneul’s POV

“Junroro~” I called out even before I opened my eyes.

I felt the side of our bed where he was supposed to be lying, but he was not there.

“Junroro?” I called out as I sat up to find myself in the room.

“Went to work already?” I muttered to myself as I went to wash up.

On the way to the toilet, I took a glance at the time. It was almost 10.30AM. Of course he would be at work. But why did he not wake me up? Did he have something to eat before going to work? Before heading downstairs, I went to check on the kids. They were still fast asleep.

I was surprised by a table of food when I arrived at the dining hall.

 ‘Eat well. Love you ^^ XOXO Junhyung’; The note he left on the table wrote.

“What time did you exactly wake up to prepare?” I spoke to myself as I smiled at the breakfast.

I heat up the food just in time for Ji Eun and Tae Hyun to wake up.

“Umma~” Ji Eun called out sleepily as she lied on the floor in the middle of the living room.

“What’s with lying there, little girl?” I laughed.

“Sleepy~” She hugged her knees and closed her eyes.

“Sleepy? Then why don’t you sleep in? Hmm?” I asked as I carried her up in my arms.

“I’m hungry~” She pouted.

“Appa cooked us breakfast.” I said, gesturing to the table of food.

“Really?” Her eyes brightened. See, Junhyung, the effect you have on your kids~

She struggled down from my arms and ran to the dining table. Tae Hyun was already there, digging into the food with his fingers.

“Hyunie! How many times do I have to say no using of hands at the dining table!?” I yelled at him.

“Appa uses his hands sometimes too.” He pouted. Sometimes, bad effects too, Junhyung ah~

“That’s why he gets yelled at by me too.” I said.

“But it’s nicer when you eat chicken wings and burgers with your hands! You said it!” He said.

“What are you eating now?” I asked.

“Noodles.” He said softly.

“Exactly! Did I teach you to eat noodles with your hands?” I asked.

“Why are you yelling at me the moment I wake up?” He pouted excessively. He sure knows how to pick up tactics from Junhyung to soften my heart.

“You’re not a caveman.” Ji Eun said before I could say anything.

She pulled the noodles away from Tae Hyun’s hands, wiped his hands for him with a piece of tissue and handed him a pair of chopsticks.

“I really wanted to use the chopsticks, Umma. I just could not find it!” He said.

“Full of excuses. Just like your Appa~” I said as I settled down with them.

“I’m Appa’s son~” He said in a singing voice.

I could picture Junhyung’s grin if he would hear this. How his eyes would disappear with his smile, how all his smiling wrinkles would appear, and how he would go ‘aww~’.

“Umma!” I snapped out of my thoughts when Ji Eun shouted for me.

“Huh?” I looked at her blankly.

“For you~” She smiled as she stuffed a spoonful of noodles into my mouth.

I ruffled her hair and continued breakfast with them. After breakfast, I allowed them to run over to Minji’s place to play with Minki.

“What time do you want them back?” Minji asked when she called me.

“Keep them there as long as possible. Thank you very much.” I said.

“How smart of you to leave your kids here.” She said in a mocking voice.

“I know you love them.” I chuckled.

“I sure do. They keep Minki so entertained I can have time for myself.” She said.

“Exactly. It’s a win-win situation for both you and I. I have my ‘me’ time, so do you. All you got to do is to feed them.” I said.

“What can I say? I’m speechless. You said it all. Even if I am in a disadvantage position, you still manage to make it sound like I am on the winning end.” She said.

“I’m not like that!” I laughed.

“Now I know why Seungho said to never get into an argument with you. We’ll never win even if all the good points are on our side.” She said.

“Come on! I’m a fair person! Gosh~ I was giving you the reasons, not demanding anything from you. Okay, send them back if they are bothering you.” I said.

“Now you use guilt!” She exclaimed, which caused me to laugh.

“Aww~ Then what do you want from me hmm?” I asked.

“Impart me some skills so I can torture Seungho with it.” She said.

“You are the biggest threat of his life, just in case you did not know.” I said.

“What is that supposed to mean!?” She asked.

“That means you need not have whatever ‘skills’ you call it. You already have that panda in your palms, clenched tightly. Whether he gets air or not depends on how tightly you squeeze. He is at your mercy.” I said.

“Hello?” I called out when there was nothing but quietness on the other line.

“Hi~” A male voice called out. Seungho.

I screamed out in shock.

“MINJI! YOU BETRAYED ME!!!” I yelled.

“I didn’t!!! You know my habit of using loud speaker! He ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!” She screamed.

I could hear giggles and screaming from the other end.

“I’m at your mercy! I am! I AM!!” I heard Minji shout.

“AHHH!! HANEUL!!! HELP!!!” She screamed.

“Save yourself. Don’t hurt her too much, Seungho. And don’t kiss in front of the kids.” I said.

“TELL THAT TO JUNHYUNG AND YOURSELF!” He yelled back.

I ended the call.

I walked around the house, doing almost nothing but enjoy the quietness. I glanced at the time, it was almost 5PM. How time flies when you are doing nothing~

“Hello?” The voice I miss so much answered.

“Hey, angel~” I said.

“Hey~ How are you?” Junhyung chuckled.

“I’m good. The house is so quiet ahh~” I said.

“You threw the kids away?” He asked.

“Yea. I threw them to Minji.” I said.

“Cheeky girl~” He laughed.

“You busying yourself in the recording room again?” I asked.

“How did you know?” He asked.

“Of course I do. It’s almost dark. How long have you not seen the sunlight?” I asked.

“I’ll never see the light until I get home.” He said.

“Why?” I asked.

“Because there’s no light where you aren’t around.” He said.

“Cheesiness overload!!” I squealed.

“But you like it, don’t you?” He laughed.

“I do.” I said.

“Did you like breakfast?” He asked.

“It was awesome.” I said, and went on to tell him about Tae Hyun. He kept going ‘aww’ on the other line.

“What do you want for dinner?” I asked.

“Dinner? I.. erm.. I got something on. Remember what I told you last night?” He asked.

“I’ll be lying if I said I do.” I said.

“I knew it. You were asleep.” He said.

“Sorry. I was really tired.” I said.

“It’s fine.” He said.

“So, no dinner for you? How about supper?” I asked.

“Supper sounds good. Are you not going to ask about where I am going?” He asked.

“Well, should I?” I asked.

“Erm…” He muttered.

“I trust you, darling. But wherever you may be, just be safe.” I said.

“Alright.” He said in a soft voice.

“If it gets late and you get tired, call me and I’ll pick you up, okay?” I said.

“I have my car.” He said.

“The car can be collected another day, but I wouldn’t be able to find another Junroro if I lose you.” I said.

He was quiet.

“You know I love you, right?” He said finally.

“I know. And you know I love you too right? You’re our world, Junhyung. Ours being mine, Ji Eun, Tae Hyun and … Loki.” I said.

I heard him sniffing on the other line.

“Are you crying?” I asked.

“Mmm~” He hummed.

“Then come home and cry. I’ll hug you.” I said.

“Okay.” He said softly.

“Don’t cry. I’m sure you don’t want someone to walk in and choke on their drink, right? The almighty rapper of Beast is crying.” I said.

“Almighty or not, still human.” He said.

“That’s true.” I said.

“So if I come home tonight you’ll let me cry in your arms?” He asked.

“Any time.” I laughed.

“And wait, you said if? You did not intend to come home?” I asked.

“Are you kidding me? Not come home? That’s where my world is.” He said.

I laughed and gave him a phone kiss.

“I thought you said those were gross?” He asked.

“I’ll do anything to put a smile on your face, you know it, don’t you? Gross or not.” I said.

“You’re the cheesy one.” He said.

“Anything you say.” I chuckled.

“I love you.” He said.

“Me too. I’ll see you tonight.” I said.

He kissed the phone before ending the call.

Why do I feel uneasy about his attitude?

Junhyung’s POV

I got out of my car and stared at the entrance of the club I swore never to enter again. I could turn and leave, but would I be able to live with myself if I did that? If I went in and do not make it out alive, how am I going to face Haneul when we finally meet again?

Just as I was about to flip the coin to decide, I heard a familiar voice.

“RYU!!!” I shouted.

The boy looked surprised when he saw me, but started running when I approached him. All the soccer sessions with J and Shin back in rehab improved my stamina by a lot.

“Run into the wall if you can.” I said when he reached a dead end.

He leaned against the wall, panting hard.

“I’m sorry, hyung. I didn’t mean to get you into trouble, hyung. I’m very sorry!” He started crying.

“Who said anything about blaming you?” I asked.

“But…” He muttered.

I walked towards him. He tried to fight me, but fortunately I had anticipated it. All the surprise attacks Shin and J gave me when they were bullying me kind of prepared me for such.

“Let me go!!” He yelled when I pinned him against the wall.

“I want to help you, Ryu.” I said.

“You can’t help me! Just let me be! I cannot afford to not be around! Do you really think I enjoy this life!? Taking drugs, selling drugs to people, ruining lives just to save my own. Do you think I like it this way!?” He yelled.

“If I can quit, you can too!” I yelled.

“I don’t have a choice, hyung! You know why I am doing this!” He kicked me on my knee, causing me to fall back.

He took the opportunity to run away.

“THINK ABOUT YOUR BROTHER, FOR GOODNESS SAKE! DO YOU THINK HE’LL BE HAPPY TO KNOW THAT YOU’RE SUPPORTING HIS MEDICAL EXPENSES BY RISKING YOUR OWN LIFE LIKE THIS!?” I shouted.

He stopped and turned to look at me.

“I don’t have a choice, hyung.” He cried.

“You have a choice, idiot. You just got to want to make that choice.” I said.

I went over to him and pulled him into my embrace.

“It’s too late, hyung. If you came a month earlier, maybe I would still stand a chance. But it’s too late now, hyung.” He cried into my chest.

“Why is it too late?” I asked.

“My brother’s condition got worse. I needed a huge amount of money for his operation. I didn’t have any! So I..” He muttered.

“What did you do?” I asked.

“I… I sold myself.. to them.” He said with lowered head.

My blood ran cold.

“I’m under their mercy now, hyung. I know you care. Thank you very much and I am so sorry for what I did to you, hyung. I’m sorry I ruined your career and family. I didn’t mean to do that. I swear even if they would to give me all the money in the world I still would never hurt you. We don’t know each other for long and all I brought to you was this crap but you still care for me so much. I don’t deserve any of your goodness.” He cried.

“Listen, Ryu. We’re in-charge of our lives. We’re under the mercy of no one. I’ll get you out of this. You just owe them money, don’t you? I’ll pay to get you out. Whatever the amount is, I’ll pay.” I said.

“Why are you doing this!? Why are you so nice!? I don’t want to be indebted to you anymore! You are not supposed to treat someone who ruined your life so kindly! Are you stupid or what!?” He yelled at me.

He pushed me to the ground and punched me on my face.

“I’m not kind. I’ll be honest. I wouldn’t be doing this for you if you did not remind me so much of my own brother. I’ve not been able to be a good brother to him. I have no idea if he had any sort of troubles when we were living apart from each other, therefore I was not able to help him. I’m not doing this for you, I’m doing this for myself. I want to feel like a useful hyung again. I’m just using you.” I said.

He stared at me, looking confused.

“Help me feel useful again, would you?” I said.

He got off me and pulled me up.

“It’s not just about money here, hyung. You cannot let them find you. They’ll kill you.” He said.

“Kill me? Why?” I asked.

“Remember the drugs you hid?” He asked.

I nodded.

“It’s gone.” I said.

“GONE!?” My eyes widened.

“Yes. It’s gone. And hello there~” A voice said.

I turned back and before I could say anything, I felt something hard hit me on my head, and then I out. 

***
If you still cannot remember Ryu, go read Chapter 18 :)