Cross your mind

Our World (Sequel to I'm Different)

Haneul’s POV

I slammed the cup down when I found out that I had run out of tea. I lazily stood up and stretched my aching body before dragging myself out of the room. I took a peak into Ji Eun and Tae Hyun’s rooms, smiling to myself at their sleeping faces. So peaceful. I glanced at the clock on my way downstairs. It was close to 2AM. Junhyung is still not back yet.

I contemplated with myself if I should give him a call, but decided that I should not. The last time I called to ask what time he was coming back, he grumbled something under his breath and then hung up. I was furious, but my anger left as soon as it came. He has not been in a good mood. Perhaps something cropped up at work and he just did not want to bring it home, so instead he tied himself to the studio.

I looked over when I heard the door open. Junhyung stepped in with a frown on his face. He tossed his bag onto the sofa, removed his shoes with one hand while holding onto the wall for support with another, then threw his shoes at a corner.

“Where the hell are the damn slippers?” I heard him grumble.

“Over there.” I said, pointing to the rack.

I laughed when I saw him jump. Angry face and bunny slippers actually make a cute match.

“Why are you awake?” He asked, dragging his feet towards me, the bunny ears flapping as he walked.

“Working.” I said, giggling at the bunnies.

“What so funny!?” He raised his voice.

“Shhh~ The kids are asleep. And, that’s funny.” I said, pointing to his feet.

“Aish~” I heard him mutter under his breath, and then he started laughing helplessly.

“It’s your fault I look so stupid.” He said.

“If it makes you feel better that it’s my fault, then so be it.” I said.

He smiled weakly at me and collapsed onto the chair. I have the urge to ask what was going on with him, but I know better.

“Eaten?” I asked.

He nodded.

“Hungry?” I asked.

He nodded, and then shook his head.

“Want supper?” I asked.

He looked up at me, his eyes sparkled a little.

“So?” I asked.

“What’s for supper?” He asked.

“Anything you desire.” I said.

“Aglio Olio and… egg rolls?” He said cheekily.

“So heavy? Are you sure you ate dinner?” I laughed.

“Are you going to give it to me or not?” He asked with a pout.

“Your wish is my command. Go freshen up.” I kissed him on his cheek.

After forty-five minutes or so, he was still not down. I put the food on the plates and washed up everything before heading upstairs. I did not want to yell for him as I did not want to risk waking the kids.

“Junhyung?” I called out as soon as I stepped into our room.

“Junhyung?” I called out again when there was no answer.

The toilet door was opened and the vapour on the mirror and glass door told me he had just showered. But where was he?

“Junhyung?” I called out again softly as I checked Ji Eun and Tae Hyun’s rooms.

Was he already downstairs but I just did not realize it? I stopped when I heard sounds coming from Loki’s room. None of us went inside his room ever since a while ago. I could not bear to step into his room for his presence still lingers strongly in. All of us had reasons to not go in, but one thing that stays is same is that we did not want to be reminded that Loki is gone. None of us has accepted it yet, or at least, I know I have not, and really only God knows when I would. Perhaps, never.

I pushed open the door nevertheless.

“Junhyung?” I called out when I heard rough shuffling, as thou I scared him with my sudden presence.

“Did I scare you?” I asked as I the lights.

True enough, he was there, looking at me with wide eyes.

“Sorry. I was looking for you.” I said.

“It’s.. it’s.. okay.” He stuttered.

“What’s going on? What were you doing here in the dark?” I asked.

“I.. just..” He muttered

 “Supper’s ready.” I said.

“Okay.” He replied.

We stared at each other, surrounded by an awkward silence, for a few seconds.

“Not hungry anymore?” I asked.

“No. I mean, no, I am still hungry. I er.. yea.” He got up clumsily before pushing me gently out of the room, and then closed the door behind us.

“So hungry.” He chuckled.

I smiled slightly, not wanting to press further despite his weird behavior. Perhaps he just misses his son and wanted to spend some time with him, in the dark, or what.

“Will you be back for dinner tomorrow?” I asked.

“I don’t know.” He said with a frown.

“Okay. But the kids miss you.” I said softly.

He said nothing, except continue to eat.

I stared at him eat, and cannot help but wonder to myself if we were all running away from the problem we thought we solved? We are not the same anymore, and we will never be, would we?

Jace said that Loki died for a reason. But what? Was it this?

“What?” He asked, looking up, snapping me out of my thoughts.

“What?” I asked, surprised.

“Why are you looking at me like that?” He asked, his cheeks stuffed with pasta.

“I miss looking at you, that’s why.” I said.

“Oh.” He responded, before looking back down, continuing to stuff his cheeks.

“Do you miss me? While you were away working in the studio or wherever you went, have I ever crossed your mind? Was there a time where you thought to yourself that you needed to come home and see me or the kids?” I asked.

He looked up, staring at me as thou I just asked him to give me an in-depth explanation as to why are planets round and not square or triangle.