Hateful

Our World (Sequel to I'm Different)

Junhyung’s POV

“They are not here, Junhyung sshi. We were about to call you to ask if something went wrong. They were supposed to come back to school today, am I right?” The teacher in charge said.

“Yea. But…” I muttered.

“Did something happen?” She asked.

I shook my head and forced a smile.

“Thank you so much.” I said.

“Please do update us when you find them.” She said.

“I will.” I said.

“And I’m so sorry for your loss. That boy, Loki, he is a total sunshine.” She said with an apologetic smile.

“He sure is.” I said as I headed back to the car.

I called Haneul on her phone again, but all that answered me was the voice message.

“Please call me, Haneul ah. Please. Don’t leave me like that. Please.” I repeated my message for her.

I bit onto my lower lip hard to prevent myself from crying. Why do I always cry in a situation like this? No wonder Haneul left. Who would want a man like me? I cannot take care of my kids, neither could I take care of my wife. I am capable of doing nothing well.

I threw my phone aside and continued driving around to look for them. I know it was hopeless because if Haneul wanted to hide from me, she would never let herself be found, but if I give up now, I would really be a goner.

I slammed onto the brake when my phone rang. I answered the call without looking at the caller.

“Haneul! Where are you!?” I yelled.

“Junhyung? I’m Seungho, not Haneul.” Seungho hyung said.

I took a glance at the caller ID. It was indeed Seungho hyung.

“Seungho hyung~” I muttered.

“Where are you? I went to your place but no one is at home. What’s going on?” He asked, sounding worried.

“Nothing is going on.” I tried to lie, but my voice shook.

“Junhyung ah~” He called out in the kind of voice that would crush anyone’s hope of being strong.

“Hyung~ She left.” I broke down.

“What do you mean by left? Where are you?” He asked.

“I’m near home.” I said.

“Come home. I’m waiting for you outside your house.” He said.

“Hyung…” I muttered.

“Come home.” He repeated.

Seungho’s POV

Loki’s death was not something that could be accepted easily. It was like taking away the sun from us, leaving us in the cold and darkness. I am a parent too, and I have almost lost my baby girl before, but I would not dare to say I could totally understand their pain, because I doubt I ever could.

Even during his funeral, both Haneul and Junhyung were oddly calm, shedding no tears at all. But the empty look on their faces explained everything. After the funeral, the both of them never spoke again. They claimed that everything was okay but it does not take a genius to tell that everything was not okay at all.

The ringing of my phone snapped me out of my thoughts. Minji’s name flashed on my screen.

“DEEDEEEEEEEEEE!!” Minki yelled the moment I answered the call.

I could not help but laugh at her cuteness.

“Hey, baby~ Aren’t you supposed to be taking your afternoon nap at this time?” I asked.

“Deedee!!!” She called out again.

“Yes?” I answered.

“I want to tell you something!” She said.

“What is it that you want to tell me?” I asked.

“Something!!” She said.

“What is it?” I asked again, giggling at her cuteness.

“Erm…. It’s something!” She said.

“What is that something, princess?” I asked.

“You have nothing to tell your Deedee. You just don’t want to sleep. Hand me the phone.” I heard Minji say.

“Noooooooooo~!!” Minki whined.

“Minki, be a good girl.” I said.

“No no no!! Something!!” She continued whining.

“Come on, Minki.” Minji said sternly.

“Hmph!” I could picture Minki pouting.

“Good girl. Now, go to bed.” Minji said.

“NO!!!” I heard Minki stomp off.

“How dare you laugh when I am trying to discipline the daughter you spoil so badly?” Minji said.

“I’m sorry.” I apologized.

“Forgiven. Where are you?” She asked.

“I’m outside Junhyung’s house. Did Haneul happen to contact you?” I asked.

“No. I was planning on visiting them later. What’s wrong?” She asked.

“I have no idea. There’s no one at home, and when I called Junhyung, he cried telling me that they left.” I said.

“Left? To where?” She asked.

“That’s the thing. I don’t know. I got him to come back so we could talk face to face.” I said.

“Oh… Then come home first. Don’t sit outside. It’s cold.” She said.

“No. I’ll just wait for him here. In case he comes and I am not here, he might think I am leaving as well. Junhyung is… pretty sensitive in terms of this.” I said.

“I understand.” She said.

“Have you eaten?” I asked.

“Yes.” She laughed.

“Why are you laughing?” I asked.

“It’s just odd to answer a question like this knowing that you are just across the street.” She said as she opened the door and waved at me.

“Go back in, silly. It’s cold.” I said.

“Oh, you know it’s cold too?” She asked in a mocking tone.

Just as I was about to reply her, I heard the sound of a car drive in.

“Go talk to him.” She said.

“Alright. Love you.” I said.

“Love you too.” She smiled and waved to me before ending the call.

“Hyung.” Junhyung called out tiredly as he stepped out of the car.

He looked paler and thinner than when I saw him a few days ago. Does grieve really change one’s appearance as well?

“What happened?” I asked, holding onto him in fear that he might collapse.

“She left.” He smiled.

He opened the door to his house and let me in. It felt cold and empty. On the dining table, I saw food and a crushed piece of note. I read the note and threw it away.

“You don’t need someone who leaves you.” I said through clenched jaws.

I certainly do not mean whatever I just said, but at that point of time, all I felt was anger. Haneul knew how painful it was for Junhyung to cope with his family leaving him, and yet she chose to leave him in the exact same way his family did at a time like this, and to add to that, even taking away Ji Eun and Tae Hyun.

“Hyung~” He called out.

I turned to look at him.

“Why is it that people always leave me? Am I really that hateful?” He asked.

“Junhyung, you know it’s not like that.” I said.

“Tell me the truth, hyung. I am hateful, am I?” He asked.

I shook my head.

“Then why is it that everyone leaves me? I thought I would lead a better life, but everything that has happened, it’s like God is telling me ‘I’m just kidding about giving you a better life.’” He said.

“I don’t seem to be able to bring happiness to anyone. Not my family, not my wife, not my kids. I… I just ruin everything with my existence.” He continued.

“Why take Loki away? Why not me?” He asked, crying.

“Don’t say things like that!” I shouted at him.

“Why can’t I say things like that!? Don’t you agree that it would have been better if I died instead of Loki!?” He yelled back.

“Of course not! Nothing would be better!” I shouted.

“It is my fault. I murdered my own son.” He cried hard.

I hugged him tight, rubbing circles onto his back.

“It was an accident, Junhyung ah~ It’s not your fault.” I said, but I knew he could hear nothing of it.

***
I did not feel comfortable leaving Junhyung alone at home therefore I kind of forced him to live with us for the time being until we find Haneul. I do not know if I was doing more harm than good to him by making him stay with us, but this is the only way I can feel less worried.

“Wakey wakey, Lucky!” Minji squashed my cheeks as she woke me up.

“Ughhhh~ Let me sleep for a while more please~” I groaned.

“You are going to be late for work. Come on! Wake up!” She smacked me.

I pouted my lips at her. She kissed me on my lips and pulled me up.

“Eww you smell bad~” She pinched her nose.

“I thought you liked it?” I laughed.

“Whatever. Go wash up, check on Junhyung, feed Minki and come down for breakfast.” She ordered.

“Yes, Mrs Yang~” I .

She stuck out her tongue at me.

“I’ll go check on Junhyung instead. Just go wash up and feed your princess!” She said before heading out.

“Then who’s going to feed me!?” I yelled.

“ME!” She yelled back.

After I washed up, I went to Minki’s room. She was already awake and playing with her toes.

“Hey baby girl~” I picked her up and cradled her in my arms.

“Deedee!” She slapped my cheek with her palm.

“Good morning to you too~” I said.

She chuckled and snuggled her face into my chest.

“Is my princess ready for milk?” I asked.

She pulled down the neck of my shirt and grabbed my chest with her hand.

“Naughty girl! You know that is not what I mean. Don’t tease me like that!” I pouted at her.

She was a laughing mess, extremely proud of her prank on me.

“MINJI AH!!!! YOUR DAUGHTER IS BULLYING ME!!!!!!!!” I yelled as I made my way down.

“Minji!!!” I yelled out again while Minki kept laughing.

“Seungho!” Minji ran in from outside, looking worried.

“What’s wrong?” I asked, sensing the urgency in her voice.

“Junhyung’s gone.” She said.

***
For those who did not read 'Crazy', Minji is Seungho's wife and Minki is their daughter :)