Expectation

Our World (Sequel to I'm Different)

Junhyung’s POV

When I opened my eyes again, my body was aching and I felt weak all over.

“You’re up? You’re not going to die on me? Then I’m leaving.” I heard a voice say.

“Huh?” I managed to choke out.

The bully stared at me with his arms across his chest.

“Where.. am I?” I managed to choke out from my dry throat.

“Where do you think you are?” He asked as he poured me a cup of water.

He slammed the cup down beside me. I looked at him, and then forced myself to sit up.

“Aish~ Why are you so troublesome?” He grumbled as he helped me up.

“Thank you.” I muttered.

I looked around as I sipped on the water. I was in the infirmary of the rehab, again.

“You’re good alone? I’m leaving.” He said.

“You’re leaving?” I asked.

“Duh~ Do you think I enjoy being here?” He asked.

“No. But… thank you.” I said.

“Get it clear, I didn’t save you because I like you or anything. I just don’t wish to be blamed for your death. Not like you have no idea how burdensome being in a situation like that with a celebrity is. Even if I didn’t mean for you to die, it will be perceived as if I caused your death. Celebrities like you just have the privilege to be innocent, no?” He said.

“It’s not like that…” I said.

“Whatever. I don’t care.” He said before going out.

I sighed and lied back down. Just as I was about to fall asleep, the door opened again.

“How are you feeling?” The in-charge asked.

“I’m good.” I said.

“Junhyung, I know you want to save him, but running in like that…” He frowned.

“I’m sorry for my reckless actions.” I said.

“I’m just glad both of you are okay.” He said.

“Did he… carry me out?” I asked.

“He did. Halfway thou. The firemen came and got the both of you out. ” He said.

“What exactly happened?” I asked.

“Short circuit. It’s my fault. I did not pay enough attention to the electrical stuff. I could have got all of you killed.” He said, his head lowered.

“It’s an accident.” I assured him.

He smiled slightly.

“Besides, we’re all alive and well now, right?” I asked.

“Yea.” He said.

“So, are the both of you friends now?” He asked.

I shook my head.

“He doesn’t like me.” I said.

“J is not a bad person. He just has major trouble expressing himself.” He said.

“J?” I asked.

“His name is J.” He said.

“Oh.” I nodded.

“Anyway, I managed to get whatever I could out of your room. We’ll be moving you guys to the other side first thing in the morning. You may want to rest here for tonight.” He said.

“Thanks.” I smiled.

“The doctor said that your back is not in a serious condition. No broken bones but there are still a few deep cuts. You passed out from inhaling too much smoke. Your cuts will hurt a little but they’ll heal. Don’t stress them too much for now.” He said.

“I got it.” I said.

“Rest well and I’ll see you tomorrow, okay?” He said.

“You too.” I said.

Just as he was about to go out, I remembered my duckies.

“WAIT!!” I yelled.

I winced when I felt the sudden pain in my back when I sat up.

“What is it? Be careful. Your stitches will tear!” He said, helping me lie down.

“The box… The box I handed to you just now. Where is it?” I asked.

“It’s in my office. It’s very safe. I’ll pass it to you tomorrow.” He said.

“Can I have it now, please?” I pleaded.

“Okay. I’ll go get it for you. Just don’t move, alright?” He said.

“Here you go.” He said, handing me the box when he came back.

“Thank you so much.” I said, hugging the box close to my chest.

“Can you sleep now?” He asked, smiling slightly.

I nodded and smiled back.

Haneul, do you know what happened? Are you worried? If you are, don’t be. Because I am fine. A little scratch on my back is nothing. However, I really wished you were here. I wished you would appear out of a sudden to ask if I was okay, and then get angry and start cursing at everything and everyone. I miss you, Haneul ah~ I really do. Do you miss me?

***
Perhaps a part of me did expect Haneul to surprisingly appear when I got hurt. She always did. She always appeared in times like that, looking at me worriedly and then say ‘why do you always land yourself in such a state?’, and then we will talk and be okay after that. But it has been a week since the incident and she did not appear. Is it really the end for us this time?

The more I thought about it, the sadder I got. I was in a depressed state and I just did not want to do anything. At first I thought I could endure it, get well and then go look for her to ask for forgiveness, but now I am certain I really miss her and it is killing me.

“Yong Junhyung~” A voice called out from behind as I was eating.

It was not J. It was someone else. I pretended to not hear him and continue to eat because I was really not in the mood for things like that.

“Yah~ Are you pretending not to hear me!?” He yelled, smacking the back of my head hard, causing the spoon to hit my upper lip.

Calm down, Junhyung. You came a long way. Don’t lose it now.

I grabbed my plate and stood up, walking off.

“You’re getting daring now, huh?” He yelled, grabbing me by the back of my shirt and then pinning me against the wall.

“What do you want!?” I yelled, frustrated.

“I’m talking to you, and you have the cheek to ignore me?” He asked.

“I’m really not in the mood for this today!” I yelled.

“And just who said you have the rights to choose when you get bullied?” He said into my ear.

I was pushed into the arms of the gang. They forced me onto the floor before throwing punches and kicks at me. I could not fight back, therefore I could only shield myself with my arms. A part of me wish they would hit me to death, because I was really tired of all these.

“WHAT ARE YOU ALL DOING!?” I heard a voice yell, and then the punches and kicks stopped.

I hugged myself tightly.

“We’re just teaching him a lesson.” The one who provoked me first said.

“It’s enough then. Leave him alone.” J said.

 “But…” The others protested.

“Come on, let’s go play soccer or something. Isn’t that more fun than hitting someone who doesn’t fight back? Not challenging at all.” He said, gesturing the gang to leave.

Our eyes met when he turned back as they were leaving. He rolled his eyes at me and went to join the others. Was J trying to help me?

After that day, I refused to leave my room. Partly because I did not want to be the target of their bully at this point of time, but mainly because I missed Haneul so much I could feel myself falling apart. I had no motivation whatsoever to go on.

“What’s wrong with you, Junhyung?” The in-charge asked as he came into my room.

I lied down onto bed and covered the blanket over my head.

“You have not been eating or doing anything. You got to tell me what’s wrong before I can help you.” He said.

“You can’t help me.” I said.

“Well, I can hear you out.” He said.

“You cannot bring her back to me so please just leave me alone!!!” I yelled.

“I… I’m sorry.” I apologized quickly for my outburst.

“I’m just very tired. I.. I’ll be okay. Just leave me alone for awhile. I’ll be fine.” I said.

“If you want to talk… you know where to find me.” He said.

I nodded. I closed my eyes and tried to sleep the depression away, but it does not work like that, I realize.

***
I walked out of my room after three days of staying in.

“Junhyung!” I heard the in-charge call my name.

“You’re finally out. Are you feeling better?” He asked.

I nodded, lying.

“Good. Do you want to go grab a bite and then join us?” He asked.

“Join what?” I asked.

“Oh, we’re having the usual confession session.” He said.

“Sure.” I said.

I went to wash up before going to the room. When I stepped in, everyone looked at me as thou disgusted. But I did not care. Not like it was going to bother me ever again.

“Now that we have full attendance, shall we start?” The in-charge said.

Everyone echoed a bored sounding ‘yes’.

“Everything said here would remain here and here only. So feel free to speak your mind.” He said.

One of them from the gang raised his hand.

“I think Yong Junhyung is a freak.” He said, smirking at me.

“That’s… not a very nice thing to say.” The in-charge muttered.

I smiled at him.

“But he’s right, you know.” I said.

They stared at me, eyes widened.

“You’re right. I am a freak. Do you want to know how freakish I am?” I asked.

He kept quiet, so did everyone else.

“Erm… Junhyung~” The in-charge looked at me.

“It’s a confession session, right? I’ll tell you everything, since I believe everyone is very curious. Freakish point number one; I have a period. Yes. I bleed down there. Every month. Like a girl.” I said, smiling.

Their jaws dropped dramatically, including the in-charge’s.

I have nothing to lose. Not anymore.