Strong

Our World (Sequel to I'm Different)

Minji’s POV

“You shouldn’t be drinking.” I said to Haneul as I took a big gulp of my beer.

She smiled and shook her head, and then drank one shot in front of me, overturning the empty can over my head.

“Just for today, I’m blind.” I said.

“Sometimes, it’s not that bad being blind. Many things might turn out different if you just keep quiet about it.” She said.

“Haneul~” I held onto her arm.

She smiled at me, then patted me on my head.

“How’s Seungho?” She asked.

I shrugged my shoulders. I really did not know.

“He broke a lot of bones. Has internal and external bleeding. He slipped into a coma. It’s horrible.” I said.

“He’ll be fine. Seungho… is a good man.” She said.

“And the good man is always the first to die, while the villain lives.” I said angrily.

“That’s fairytale.” She said.

“Don’t deny it. In the living world, it’s like that too.” I said.

“Are you implying that Junhyung should be the one in that state instead of Seungho?” She asked.

“I would be lying if I said no.” I said without thinking.

I thought she would get angry, but instead she just smiled.

“I didn’t mean it.” I said softly.

“It’s okay. You’re not wrong.” She said.

“I’m scared. What if he dies?” I asked.

“Seungho is a responsible person.” She said.

I looked at her, but she was not looking at me.

“MInji ah~ I’m sorry I called.” She said.

“I’m glad you called. I cannot imagine the shock we would get if you didn’t. The whole situation.. It was just.. scary.” I said as I recalled what happened.

“Scary or not, he is still my husband.” She said.

I was amazed at how she still could refer to him as her husband.

“I know what you’re thinking. But Minji, if you were in my position, could you let Seungho go that easily? We ain’t puppy love anymore. And to say that it is entirely his fault that he became like that today would be pushing of responsibility, because it, we all know I have my fault in this situation.” She said.

“Well, but he has more fault.” I said.

She smiled and looked at me tiredly.

“One percent fault or ninety percent fault, a fault is still a fault. It doesn’t matter how much. And he is the man I love, Minji~ I swore in front of everyone to stay by him, love and protect him.” She said.

“You’re taking that marriage vow too seriously.” I blabbered.

“I BEG YOUR PARDON!?” She yelled.

“NO!! I MEAN!!! UGHHH!!! It’s your fault! You made me drink alcohol and therefore cause me to speak nonsense!” I pouted.

“See how alcohol can force the truth out of one? Seungho will be so sad aiee~” She teased.

“Hur~~ Please don’t tell him I said that! I didn’t mean it! Please!!” I begged.

And for some odd reason, I started crying.

“I want Seungho now. I miss him so much. That idiot!!” I cried.

She let me lie on her lap while I cried.

“I’m sorry for what Junhyung did.” She said.

“Why are you apologizing on his behalf!?” I screamed.

“Because he is my husband. We’re responsible for each other.” She said.

I sat up and wiped my tears.

“Honestly, I’m not even angry at him. I mean, I was. But it’s over. The anger is gone. I just want things to go back to how it was. That’s all I ask for.” I said.

“It wouldn’t.” She said as she opened another can of beer.

“It would.” I muttered under my breath.

We sat in silence, staring up at the night sky and drinking.

/FLASHBACK

“Lucky~ Your phone~” I groaned, pushing him.

I hated it when he did not turn his phone on to silent when we slept.

“Huh? Oh. Sorry, sorry. Go back to sleep. Shh~” He said, patting my chest lightly as he reached for his phone.

“Hello~” I heard him say in a husky voice.

“Hello?” He called out again, sounding slightly annoyed this time.

“Hello? Haneul? Is everything okay?” He said, sounding more awake this time.

I opened my eyes at the sound of his anxious voice.

“What’s wrong?” I asked, sitting up.

“I don’t know. Haneul called. I heard shouting, like they were arguing or something.” He said, the phone still at his ear.

“Let me hear it.” I said, taking the phone from him.

“Haneul? Hello? Are you okay?” I called out.

I winced when Haneul’s scream hurt my ear, it was so loud Seungho could hear it too, and then the line went dead abruptly. We stared at each other in shock.

“Do you think… we should go over?” I asked.

“Yea. I think it’ll be good to check.” He said, getting out of bed.

“How about Minki?” I asked.

He sighed and then went to check on the sleeping girl. He looked at the time. It was 2.30AM.

“I don’t think she would be awake any time sooner. Or else, why not I go over and check?” He said.

I shook my head. I had a bad feeling. I did not want him over there by himself.

“But Minki…” He muttered.

“I don’t feel good letting you go over yourself. Please.” I pleaded.

He nodded.

We made sure Minki was very asleep before heading over to Haneul and Junhyung’s place. We knew things were bad when we heard Haneul screaming, but never did we expect things to turn out this bad.

/END OF FLASHBACK

I turned to look at Haneul. I could not read her expression. She kept drinking and drinking. I wanted to stop her, but I did not have the heart to.

“What are you going to do after you are discharged?” I asked.

She shrugged her shoulders.

“Leave. Perhaps.” She said.

“And Junhyung..?” I asked.

“There’s nothing I can do with Junhyung. He got to save himself. If he does not want to help himself, no one can.” She said.

“But…” I bit my lower lip, not knowing what to say.

“I guess we need some time away from each other to really think about things. I don’t know where I am going or how long would it be, but I just know I need to leave.” She said.

I nodded.

“Leaving for awhile is good.” I said.

She said nothing.

“Will you take the kids?” I asked.

“Maybe, maybe not. Depends on where I am going. I wouldn’t take them if they don’t want to come. They are innocent. They love Junhyung and Junhyung love them. Perhaps they could help him in a way or another.” She said.

“You love Junhyung too.” I said.

“I sure do. Honestly, nothing he do can change my love for him, but now it’s really a matter of being able to face him or not. At this point of time, I can’t.” She said.

“You will stay in touch with us?” I asked.

She smiled and nodded.

“Promise?” I asked.

“Yes.” She said.

“Say ‘I promise’.” I insisted.

“I promise.” She said.

“You got to take good care of yourself.” I said.

“You too. You need to be strong for Seungho and Minki.” She said.

“I don’t understand why is it that we always have to be the strong ones.” I grumbled.

“What do we do when we have husbands who need our support?” She said.

“Support them.” I mumbled.

“Exactly.” She said.

“Can I ask you something?” I asked.

“Ask.” She said.

“Are you really okay?” I asked.

“I would be lying if I say my heart doesn’t hurt at what he did to me, but I’ll be fine. I’ll recover. Give me some time and I’ll be Haneul again.” She said.

“Let’s hope Jace is right then.” I said.

“What did Jace say?” She asked.

“He said ‘Haneul is the kind of girl who would bawl her eyes out at a sad movie and repeatedly whine about it but would only cry once and then pull herself together in a real situation. She is strong mentally but soft physically.’ That’s what he said.” I said.

She smiled and shook her head.

“As you can see most of my friends are guys. Back in my country, my closest friend was Jace, who is a guy. When I came to Korea, no one was willing to befriend me except for Junhyung, and because of Junhyung I got to know the rest of Beast and MBLAQ, they are guys too. I can’t be whining to them and crying over little things, right? I guess I started being strong mentally there. And then when Junhyung and I got together, I realize he was actually just a cotton ball, despite his badass presence. He was insecure and fragile. I was sort of the closest to him. If I don’t pull myself together and be strong, who is going to be there for him when he breaks down?” She said.

“But we exist for each other. Junhyung and I.” She continued.

“I envy you.” I chuckled.

“Why?” She asked.

“I wish I could be Seungho’s pillar of strength like how you are Junhyung’s pillar of strength.” I said.

“Trust me, without you, Seungho wouldn’t be able to stand.” She said.

I laughed out.

“If he hears this, he’ll flip.” I said.

“It’ll be good if he could flip again.” She said.

“Yea. It’ll be good.” I smiled.

“You’re Seungho’s strength, Minji. You have no idea how strong you are.” She said.

“Sometimes I want to be weak too.” I said.

“But the feeling of being someone’s pillar of strength, it’s so amazing.” She said.

I nodded, agreeing with her.

I cannot deny that I love it when Seungho comes to me, asking if I could hold him till he sleeps or let him cry on my lap. It is not that I enjoy seeing him sad, but the fact that he comes to me when he is hurting or having a hard time and that he lets me see his vulnerable side, I feel important to him.

“Can I ask you another question?” I asked.

“You have a lot of questions tonight, don’t you? Is this what alcohol is doing to you?” She asked.

I pouted at her.

“Alright, alright. Ask.” She said.

“Where did you disappear to when I was bashing Junhyung up?” I asked.

I saw her shoulders tensed and her expression changed slightly.

“I… I went to get clothes to change.” She said, sounding unusually calm.

She was lying. When I found her, she was still covered in my coat.

“Oh.” I said, not wanting to expose her.

“Yea.” She murmured.

We continued to drink like there is no tomorrow.

“Haneul ah~ You have to come back, alright?” I said.

She smiled, not giving me a definite answer. I did not ask for one too.

We were getting lightheaded and starting to laugh at nothing. It felt nice to get drunk once in a while, to escape reality. It was only when my phone rang did I snap out of my drunk self.

“Hey~~” I answered.

I dropped my can of beer on the grass as I listen to what the caller said.

“I… I’m coming. Now.” I mumbled.

“What?” Haneul asked, her cheeks so red as if someone slapped her three hundred times.

“The nurse said… His heart… It stopped.” I said.

“Who’s heart?” She asked, eyes wide.

“Seungho… My.. My Seungho..” I mumbled.

My head started throbbing in pain. I had no idea if it was the alcohol or shock. 

***
Let's remember Seungho as the happy hyung who played a huge part in Junhyung's life :')

tumblrmbmbrlzccc1r5wu9a.gif