First day

Our World (Sequel to I'm Different)

Haneul’s POV

“LET ME OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!” He screamed, banging onto the door.

He has been doing that for the past half an hour. I covered my ears and squeezed my eyes shut. I had to bit my lower lip hard to prevent myself from giving in to his pleads. As much as I wanted to open the door and let him have his way, I could not allow myself to do it.

I know I should not be taking matters into my own hand but I could not bear to send him into rehab. He is not that much of an extreme case yet, and if this goes out into the public, it would really be the end of him. I spent my night researching online on how to withdraw from heroin, and I decided to try it.

It is said that most people who are withdrawing from heroin would have a stronger craving for more. If I could just keep him in for three days, I would almost have succeeded by half already as the yearning for it would gradually start to subside.

I jumped when I heard him scream and throw something against the wall.

“WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS TO ME!? WHY ARE YOU TRYING TO TAKE AWAY MY ONLY FORM OF HAPPINESS!?” He shouted as he threw something against the door.

I could hear it smash into pieces. Perhaps it was a photo frame or something like that.

I stayed outside for the next few hours, listening to him scream until his voice turn hoarse and cursed at everything while destroying our whole room. I wish I could go in and hug him, try calm him down or let him take out his anger on me, but all I could do was sit outside and cry. 

I had no idea how long had passed but I must have fallen asleep because I was shocked awake by a loud sound. It sounded like someone collapsing. Afraid that Junhyung might have collapsed inside, I hurried to open the door.

Our room was a mess. He had broken everything that could be broke. It looked the aftermath of a hurricane. But that was the least of my concern now.

“JUNHYUNG!!!” I shouted when I did not see him in the room. The windows were not broken, so it was impossible that he jumped out.

I stepped pass the mess and headed towards the toilet. I looked away when I saw him on the floor, lying in his own vomit and blood. He had cuts all over his arms and knees. I expected him to be unwell since it is part of the withdrawal symptoms, but I never expected to see him like that.

“Ha..neul…” He called out weakly, coughing.

“Come. Let’s get you cleaned.” I said, helping him up.

He shook his head and crawled towards the toilet bowl, his face resting against the seat.

“Just let me… stay here.” He said with much difficulty. He had to take a deep breath after a few words before he could continue.

“I cannot stop vomiting. I.. I am sick of having… to rush back. I am… so tired.” He closed his eyes, hitting his chest with his fist, perhaps to ease the nausea.

It’s okay. If you don’t have enough energy to come to the toilet, I’ll bring the toilet to you. I said it just now that I would be with you, didn’t I?” I said, pulling him up.

I let him sit against the wall before I remove his clothes and shower him. I cleaned his cuts before dressing him and helping him to bed.

“Just close your eyes and rest while I go get you some food, okay?” I said to him.

He nodded and snuggled his face into the pillow.

“Here.” I said, putting the Donald Duck soft toy in his hand.

“Where’s Daisy?” He asked with a weak chuckle.

“I don’t know. I have to find her.” I said.

"Okay~" He said softly.

"The first day is always the worst, but you're doing very well. You're not alone. We're in this together." I said, smoothing his hair.

He stared at me, and smiled weakly.

“I’ll be quick. If you need to vomit, the trash bin is here. If you could not reach it on time, just puke on the floor. It’s okay.” I said.

I kissed him on his cheek before heading out. I shut the door and stood outside, staring at the doorknob.

It is not that I do not trust you, Junhyung ah~ It is for your own good.

I locked the door from outside and headed downstairs.