Chapter 50

The Boy Next Door

 

Chapter 50 – Complications

 

 

“You want to see me?” he asked as he walked in closing the door behind him.

 

“Can we talk?”

 

“Uhm, sure” TOP has his perplexed look on his face as he sat beside Dara, his other leg dangling on the floor. He had never seen Dara this serious before, well in the ‘talking’ manner of course.

 

Dara inhaled and exhaled. She didn’t know what to tell. Moreover to where will she starts. Her brain is fumbling inside, looking for information or should she say questions to ask to him. She wanted to ask him about the Minkyung girl but didn’t push it on. She will never know how to handle his answers on that part. So where should she start really? Is it safe to ask about their …

 

“Darabbit, are you okay?” TOP worriedly asked and held her right hand firmly.

 

She looked up at him with the same confused look she wore in the morning and shook/nod her head. She opened but close it back again as she felt the trembling in her lower lip.

 

“Please tell me. You’re making me worry” he probed. “Something happened?”

 

Silence.

 

“Did you know the stalker already?” he asked her again.

 

There goes silence again.

 

“Darabbit, if you want to talk to me you need to open your mouth and start to converse.”

 

“I’m sorry” she broke off and started sobbing. She didn’t like how emotional she gets whenever it is about her and her loved one involved in the issue. It’s not like her to cry just then and there. She is known for being a good fighter and a high-spirited girl. She won’t breakdown like this. Hell would know she looked pathetic now but she doesn’t care.

 

“What do we need to talk baby?” TOP held both of her hand and ran his thumbs on her knuckles.

 

“I don’t know where to start … I don’t know what to do” she said, her hands trembling.

 

“Hey, it’s okay babe. Why are you trembling?”

 

“I’m really tired now and my brain can’t function well” she continued and looked down, focusing on the bed. “I don’t know what to ask to you but … “she looked up at him with her hurtful eyes, “there’s one topic I am sure to bring up.” Her voice was too low and breathy that you can’t hear it well.

 

“What is it baby?” Another simple question yet so difficult to utter for her. He wiped the tears rolling down on her cheeks and cupped both her cheeks. His look was almost pleading, “Please just tell me. I don’t know what happened but seeing you like this breaks my heart.”

 

Any people that could hear them would say that TOP is about to cry and kill someone at the same time. He didn’t know how to react from her sudden breakdown. He wanted to know if something bad happened to her a while ago so that he could kill that bastard.

 

He didn’t understand a thing. For him, it was all of a sudden because early in the morning they were all cuddling and kissing, talking of sweet nothings but now, he can’t describe their situation. Maybe just the random talk or is it the talk that would make his knuckles turn white and break things all the way? If he’s choosing right now, he would willingly choose the former.

 

Dara sniffed and yanked her hands from his grip and wiped her nose and face. TOP was taken aback by that little gesture from her. She looked up at him, staring straightly and deeply into his eyes that screams bravery and said, “Explain. Lee Minkyung”

 

“I don’t understand … how … why …” great shock descended on his body and soul as he heard her spitting those words.

 

“Just explain it to me.” Pathetic Dara was nowhere to be found but instead, seating in front of him is another girl with the middle name of ‘Brave’.

 

There was silence enveloping the two. She was waiting. He was thinking.

 

Before explaining it to her, he cleared his throat and shifted his position closer to her.

 

“Dara, she’s my ex-girlfriend” he said and in a cautious move he held her right hand, interlacing both their hands.

 

“She is your girlfriend … until now” Dara said in a monotone voice. She changed 180 degrees in a quick span of time.

 

“What?” his eyebrows scrunched up together.

 

“Yes or no?” her voice wavered. Her emotions started to beat the crap out of her again and she hates it.

 

“Whaaat?!” TOP asked again, not hearing clearly the question. But when it registered in his mind he shouted that made Dara flinched, “NOOOO!!!”

 

“Please don’t shout” she backed away from him to the headboard of her bed.

 

“I’m sorry baby. I didn’t mean to scare you” TOP coed and crawled to her. “Why did you think of that? Everybody knows that you are my girlfriend, my lover, my only one and my life” he softly said and tucked the stray hair on her ear.

 

“But I’m not your number one” she smiled bitterly and looked down, hiding away the tears that are threatening to fall any second from now.

 

“Baby, look at me” he held her chin and let her face him “Why are you being like this all of a sudden? Of course you are my number one.” TOP leaned in and aimed her lips but she tilted her head on the side making him kiss her left cheeks.

 

Dara’s trembling hand made its way to her aching chest. “Please don’t lie, Seunghyun.”

 

He closed his eyes and sighed. Frustration is killing him up. He ran his finger to his hair and sighed again.

 

In almost a whisper he asked, “Where is my Dara? What did you do to her?” Hurt was visible in his eyes.

 

“She’s somewhere safe” Dara answered and stared at his eyes. Seeing him hurt makes her chest constrict more. She shouldn’t have looked at his eyes, now she regrets.

 

“Do you doubt me Dara?” he asked as his voice croaked.

 

was aching and her lips were trembling. “Not until she came to me at the café” she said.

 

“She came back?”

 

She shrugged. She didn’t know what he meant by that.

 

“What did she tell you?”

 

“Nothing important” Dara shrugged again, trying to be nonchalant. “She just said that she’s the one and she is your lover” she stopped and continued after a few seconds “What else? Hmm.”

 

She was pretending that everything will be alright and that it was just their usual talk, nothing more, nothing less. But it didn’t work out well. Her acting is lame and TOP can see it.

 

“Dara, please don’t act like it is nothing. You are tired and worn out and I am exhausted from this. Let’s get this talk done.”

 

“Oh!” she snapped her finger. TOP just stared at her, oblivious on her acting. “She told me she will get you back and be your …”she started to choked on her own saliva “… your girlfriend … again.” She closed her eyes and that hot new tears rolled again on her cheek.

 

He couldn’t take it anymore. He can’t just sit there and watch her crying her eyes out. He quickly closed their gap and yanked her to his chest, entrapping her with his arms. Her arms stayed limply on her sides, doesn’t know what to do.

 

She started coughing and she backed away from him, pounding her chest with her fist. She laughed bitterly and said “You know what? The moment she warned me a while ago, I know she can steal you away from me anytime soon. Her sacrifices won’t be that difficult. She’s pretty, attractive and y. What’s there to ask for?” She slump her shoulder in defeat.

 

“Are you giving up Darabbit?” TOP asked, his voice tired and his eyes were not leaving hers. “After all the misfortunes and accidents?”

 

Dara smiled “I’m not giving up Seunghyun; I’m just accepting the fact.”

 

“What’s there to ask for, Dara?” he copied the line she utter few seconds ago and forced a smile for her. “There’s still something to ask for. She’s not Sandara Park. She’s not my roommate. She doesn’t know how to fight. She can’t disguise herself well with a nerdy glasses and a messy bun hair. She’s not allergic to smoke and dust. She can’t be naughty and nice at the same time. She’s not my life. She’s not my everything. She’s not Sandara Park. She can’t be you and she’s not the one I can see my future with.”

 

“You see, there’s still more to ask for Darabbit.”

 

“But she will do everything just to be that girl. She said that she will sacrifice everything just to get you back.”

 

“She can’t be my Sandara Park” he shook his head.

 

“But she can be your Lee Minkyung” she smiled a smile that is near to surrendering.

 

“Why do you keep on pushing me to her?” TOP asked hurtfully “Don’t you love me anymore?”

 

“Because you haven’t broken up with her Seunghyun, that’s why. You didn’t make it clear to her that you are over. She stills assume things are still the same, like you are just having a cool-off. And I still love you … with all my heart.” There, there, everything is done. She said it what Minkyung said.

 

“I’ll talk to her” he said and fished his phone out of her pocket.

 

“Can you just … talk to her … when I’m not here?” she requested.

 

TOP abruptly looked up at her. “Why, where are you going?” His eyes rounded and panic rises in his body.

 

“I’m just going somewhere this afternoon; you know to think things over. But I promise I’ll be back this evening” she smiled reassuringly at him.

 

As her words sink in, he started to calm down. The panic ebbs away from his body. TOP tossed his phone on the bedside table. He’s staring her every features, not leaving anything away. Dara did the same. For some minute, they were quiet and lost in their own bubble.

 

“Why do you think of it that way Darabbit?” he asked suddenly.

 

“Maybe because my brain is still not cured; maybe that special amnesia have a bad side effect and that is scrambling all the living crap in my brain” she giggled.

 

“It’s not funny” he sternly said and she stopped.

 

“Just suggesting the mere possibility” she retorted and shrugged.

 

“Still” he insisted.

 

“You know the other reason too Seunghyun? It’s because my brain can’t function well that it thinks of something weird but almost near to the truth. I’m also tired from the crap that I have this creepy stalker and then there’s that psychotic girl who added up my frustration.” She waved her hands in the air.

 

Dara stood up and grab her purse. TOP observed her every move, from the bathroom to the mirror to the closet back to the bathroom and finally to the mirror.

 

“Where are you going?”

 

“To somewhere” she answered and put on her sneakers.

 

“You’re not eating?”

 

“No” she shook her head and headed to the door. He jumped out of bed and followed her suit.

 

Before Dara could make a step down, he grabbed her arm and spun her around. “Seunghyun …”

 

“Dara, answer me. Just yes or no; we didn’t broke up, do we?” The million dollar question that’s been bugging his mind after their little confrontation was now unleashed and his scared with her answer.

 

Dara was balancing the pros and cons. They didn’t break up, do they? They were just talking but added with a little drama, right? So, what are they?

 

“No” she replied and as soon as TOP heard it, his sigh of relief was very audible. “But we’re in the middle of it Seunghyun, almost giving up and still fighting greatly, I hate to admit it but yes, we are in the dangerous place.”

 

He was glued on his place. His heart was beating abnormally. We are in the dangerous place, it keeps on replaying back in his mind. No, he needs to fight, she needs to fight. He watched her back as she started walking down.

 

“Laters” Dara strutted down the staircase and without glancing back, waved at him.

 

 

________

 

 

Dara collected her apartment key from the owner who was shocked when she saw her. She needed space, both of them were. As soon as she was inside her crib, she slid down on her door and cried her eyes out. Her once controlled tears came out selfishly from her eyes like there’s no tomorrow.

 

She pounded her chest hard, particularly to the part where her heart is located. She sobbed uncontrollably. No one will tell her to stop. She’s alone and she’s free to cry.

 

She wanted to call Jiyong but decided not to. He’s not part of their problem, so better not drag another person in the issue.

 

She loves him, that’s for sure. But everything in life is full of doubts. Moreover, she’s also human and so she has needs for answers to her confusing questions. She doesn’t know who to believe when it’s clear that it is Seunghyun. She wanted to meet up the girl but afraid to because the next thing she’ll know, he is already stolen.

 

Her phone started ringing, echoing inside her apartment. She got it out and was welcome with an unknown number. Before she put it on her ear, she wiped her scalding tears and sniffed one more time.

 

Then, “hello?”

 

Well, Hi there Sandara Park.”

 

“Who’s this?”

 

It was nice seeing you in that state. I wonder if you’ll be mine anytime soon and if not, I’ll steal you away from him. Easy peasy.” A male voice laughed heartily at the other end of the phone.

 

From the statement, she knows he’s the stalker, the one and only creepy stalker.

 

“Whoever you are, just stalk all you want. That’s the least I could take care of.” Then she hung up. She disassembled her phone and separated the battery. It’s the better choice not to be disturbed by anyone.

 

CREEPY stalker!

 

CRAZY ex-girlfriend!

 

Ice cream and doughnuts are the best solution for her. She wanted to stuff with lots and lots of ice cream to cease her tears and watch a comedy movie flick. There are many things to do in her apartment but all she could do is cry.

 

She stood up and went to her bedroom. She took off her pants and slid off her jacket and blouse. With her sneakers and undies, she jumped on her bed.

 

SNAP!

 

SNAP!

 

“y !” He put his camera in his bag and chuckled. “Let’s move on to the next step” he smirked and walked down from the rooftop of the building across her apartment.

 

“Let’s get you into a scandal Sandara Park” he punched the ground floor button of the elevator. When he was already outside, he crossed to building 1 and entered inside. (A/N: Remember in chapter 2 that there are 3 building apartments and Dara is in building 1 room 6A.)

 

He used the elevator and punched the ‘6’ button. He was all smirks and grins as he was thinking about his plan. The elevator ‘dings’ and he smiled broadly, “Goodbye pretty Dara, hello scandal” he chuckled and walked to room 6A. He fished out two hairpins in his pocket and expertly inserted it to the doorknob.

 

Click!

_________________________________________

Ha! I've updated finally. I intend to write a long chappy since this week is my midterm exams and i need to study .. hard. :) Thanks!