A Union of Families

Replay (PM 01:27)

Fast forward to the following week : SeulHyuck Big Wedding Day

 

 

A Korean wedding is symbolic of more than just the union of two people. The marriage represents two families coming together as one. As a result, parents from both families take active participation in many aspects of the wedding. Parents wear special attire, give and receive special gifts, and provide many blessings to the bride and groom throughout the festivities. 

 

 

 

Usually for a traditional Korean wedding, the bride and groom will wear specific colors. The bride will typically wear red, and the groom will wear blue to symbolize the Confucian idea of yin and yang. A yin color (blue) is meant to bring healing and relaxation, and a yang color (red) provides enthusiasm and active energy. Together, the energy is balanced.

 

 

 

Seulgi had red dots the size of coins painted on her cheeks to ward off evil spirits.

한복 Hanbok : Korean traditional clothes[dress] | bride's headpiece (worn at  a Korean traditional wed… | Traditional outfits, Korean traditional, Korean  wedding dress

 

The bride and groom’s mothers wore specific colors to symbolize their familial relationship with the bride and groom. Haechan’s mother wore a light green hanbok specifically designed for the wedding ceremony. Seulgi’s mother wore pink.. Some wedding guests may also choose to wear a hanbok. However, because this event is a mixture of modern and traditional. The wedding guests were allowed to wear non-traditional, modern attire to the event as well. 

KOREAN-WEDDING-BLOG-1365x2048.jpg

 

At the beginning of the marriage ceremony, Kang Seulgi the bride and Lee Haechan the groom had to wash their hands. This act is symbolic of the purification of their bodies for the marriage ritual ahead. Seulgi and Haechan then each drink wine from a halved gourd made by the mother of the bride. When the wine is finished, the gourd is then put together and placed on the ceremony table. The gourd split into equal halves symbolizes two becoming one.

 

 

 

Traditionally, a live wild goose would be given as a gift from the groom to his new mother-in-law on the wedding day, at the beginning of festivities. Wild geese mate for life, and the gift is symbolic of his good intentions to fulfill the duties of marriage. More generally, wild geese represent harmony and love between a husband and wife. But today, a wooden goose or duck is more common as a gift, and often displayed in the bride and groom’s new home as a symbol of their commitment to each other. 

 

 

 

Pyebaek Ceremony 

At around 01:27pm, Haechan and Seulgi were officially pronounced Husband and Wife. After the official marriage ceremony, Seulgi and Haechan, along with their families, took part of a smaller ceremony called the Pyebaek ceremony. This ceremony is traditionally limited to family only.  However, modern couples may choose to include a larger group of guests. Which Seulgi and Haechan did.

 

 

And with that, SeuHyuck couple held their Pyebaek ceremony during cocktail hour so guests could view the festivities and learn more about the Korean culture while sipping on cocktails. 

 

 

 

 

Korean wedding dates and chestnuts

During the Pyebaek ceremony, Seulgi gave Haechan's parents, her new in-laws, Korean dates (jujubes), and chestnuts as a gift. The dates and chestnuts are symbolic of the couple’s future children and the Seulgi's goodwill to create a family with Haechan.

 

 

Later in the ceremony, Seulgi’s in-laws toss the dates and chestnuts at the bride while she attempts to catch them in the skirt of her hanbok. The caught number signifies the number of children the couple will be blessed with. But because Seulgi is already pregnant with a baby in her womb. This act was only done due to tradition and culture. It didn't have to be taken seriously. 

Korean fruit & nut wedding custom

 

 

After the ceremony, SeulHyuck couple changed to a much comfortable garment for the wedding meal. A light pastel blue hanbok that their parents had tailored for them. They look really amazing and lovely.

ff5f25dd5d7c324c645f4af89a2051a6dbb0db41.jpg

At the wedding Banquet, the menu were Japchae, Bulgogi, Hongeohoe, Dak-nalgae and many more. Seulgi and Haechan parents really outdone themselves for this wedding. The HS127 Squad and the other guests get to indulge on the spectacular spread of food prepared. 

 

 

Halfway throughout the banquet, Haechan stood up and wanted to make a toast for their wedding. He raised his glass and clink them to garner attention from everyone. Immediately, everyone turned to face him. He also asked Seulgi to stand and accompany him for the toast.

 

 

"Hi everyone.. I'm Lee Donghyuck and this is my wife Kang Seulgi.. Thank you once again for coming to our wedding and i will like to make a toast to everyone that had made this event possible."

 

 

"I know our wedding isn't like the previous wedding of my NCT Hyungs. It's kind of traditional and slightly old fashion but all of this would not had happened without the help of our parents. Gomawoyo Eomma, Appa, Eommonim.. Abonim.." as he raised his glass to show appreciation to them.

 

 

"Many things had happened before this day could actually come. Literally, Blood.. Sweat.. and unmeasurable amount of Tears were shed."

 

 

"Seulgi.. I wouldn't trade anything in the world to only be married to you.."

 

 

 

"Thank you for all that you have done and sacrifice for me. Thank you for believing in our love. I love you so much Kang Seulgi.. I promise, i really swear to love you and only you with all my life and till death do us apart." It sounds almost like a vow but this was more than just a vow. Its deeper than that. Sincerely conveyed with tears running down Haechan's cheeks.

haechan imagine | Tumblr

 

"Arayo.. But Haechannie you need to love our lil nugget too. Don't forget him." answered Seulgi showing her tum-tum.

 

 

 

"Yes our lil nugget too no less.." said Haechan.

 

 

 

"Okay my turn kekeke.." 

 

 

 

"Donghyuck and I had known each since we were trainees. He was way younger than me of course. When i first saw him. He was just a little boy. Who is passionate about singing, also very goofy and annoying."

 

"I thought, i will always want to look after him. We became colleagues under the same label then to becoming each other siblings and bestfriends. Haechannie is very annoying but he had always cared for his love ones."

 

 

"I would also like to thank Heart Signal for channeling our friendship to a romantic relationship and now we are officially Husband and Wife. I really love Haechannie and i'm thankful to have him as my soulmate."

 

 

"Hyuck ah, let's enjoy each other company and go to our favourite beach, record each other do weird and crazy stuff. I promised to always feed you good food so you won't be cranky. Haechannie sometimes will cook some good food for me whenever i'm not well or like when i'm on my period. I will crave for something spicy. He will cook it for me. Hahaha TMI but yeah.."

 

 

"Sometimes when we stroll around the supermarket or go to cafes for our dates, driving until midnight and watched some movies until we fall asleep. Haechannie is very sweet and romantic. He always makes the date fun. So i have more happy memories with him then the bad ones."

 

 

"I'm very grateful to have him as my husband. I hope Donghyuck, you can continue to make me happy and laugh at your jokes and antics till death do us apart."

 

 

 

"Saranghae.." ended Seulgi.

 

 

 

 

Their mothers were in tears hearing those words from their children. Not just them, everyone else in the wedding hall pretty much felt touched by their words. 

 

 

 

"TO SEULHYUCK AND HAPPINESS IN FUTURE!!! YEOREOBUN WIYAYOOO!!"

Good Day Drinking GIF by BuBu - Find & Share on GIPHY

Soju Korean GIFs | TenorTop 30 Hite Jinro GIFs | Find the best GIF on Gfycat