Practice

Wishing Upon A Flower

In The Cloud by Son Dongwoon 

 


 

Chapter 14 – Practice

Days went by. It’s already Friday meaning EXO and BAP had less than two days to practice since the competition’s on Sunday night. The competition had been the talk of the campus especially the two kingka groups are on it like every year and it has been a like it every competition.  

Every break time, EXO would be in the rehearsal room, dragging Hyomi with them so basically, she eats lunch in the rehearsal room while watching her oppas sweat but she would always insist for them to take at least a twenty-minute break to eat. They always give in to Hyomi but usually, they would only take a rest for ten minutes and continue practicing. They are given an hour for lunch that’s why they’re using it all up. They couldn’t waste time, that’s what on their system. 

The BAP would also be practicing at their hiding place every break and like EXO, they rarely take rest. If ever they would just drink water then resume again. That’s how determined they are. Last year EXO won and they didn’t want to lose the next time around. EXO won two years in a row while they have none and it frustrates them.

The day went by fast until it was dismissal time. Jongup, as usual, came with Hyomi. Even if he’s tired and busy, he didn’t want to leave Hyomi. There were people secretly watching them, some annoyed and irritated, some with mixed emotions, while some with a smile. Daehyun and Hyomi would still often fight over the littliest things whenever he goes call Jongup for practice. He actually don’t know why Yongguk asked him to call Jongup every dismissal time but for some reason, he liked it just because he loves teasing Hyomi though in the end, he’s the one who usually loses.

“Are you sure you’re still going to go with me? I could go by myself. Don’t worry.” Hyomi said and Jongup shook his head with a small smile.

“No. I promised to take you everyday unless I’m not in school so as long as I’m here, no.” He said then smiled. Hyomi was touched but she felt as if she’s tiring Jongup more but even how much she tries to talk to Jongup, he wouldn’t just listen. She just nodded and they went to the lockers and she quickly placed her things in.

Hyomi’s POV

“Oh, right. I almost forgot. How did you know my locker code?” I asked, my eyebrows furrowed towards him as I locked my locker.

“Honestly, I once peeked when you were entering your code.” Jongup said and I softly smack him on the shoulder.

“Don’t ever open my locker, got it?” I said and he shrugged. “YAH!” I said and he laughed. Just then, here comes Mr. Arrogant.

“What’s this Dimwit kid whining about?” He said and I could see in his eyes that he was having fun, he always does, especially when he gets to tease me.

“Yah! Don’t act as if I can’t—“ I stopped when he leaned in, our faces a few inches.

“What?” He asked and I stepped back hitting the lockers. He rolled his eyes as he moved away and turned to Jongup who was quietly laughing to himself. “Yah, hurry. We need to practice already.” He said.

“Ah, yeah. Wait. Hyomi-ah, let’s go.” Jongup said as he grabbed my arm and pull me back to the classroom.

“Y-yah. Wait!” I said as I ran.

“Childish.” I heard Daehyun scoff and I looked back to him, glaring. He quickly got his things but I made sure to give him some encouragement before he left.

“Ah, good luck! Hwaiting!” I said as Jongup got his things. His eyes smiled again as he nodded.

“Yeah, I’ll get a price when we win, ok?” He said and before I could say something, he ran away, meeting Mr. Arrogant by the door. I sighed. Ohmy. Remembering it again. I owe him too. Ah Neul too. Now, he’s asking for a price when they win. What am I going to do?!

I was snapped out of my thoughts when Minseok and Tao oppa came and we left. Since this week started, they usually practice outside the school so they would drop me off the bus stop first before they leave whenever I can’t come with them.

Today, I decided to come with them and wait until they finish since there aren’t school tomorrow and I’m so happy for it. We walked to the dance studio they practice at and I was in awe since it was the first time I came with them, thus it’s the first time I saw their big dance studio. I think this is the biggest among all the rooms in this building. We all dropped our things on the floor at one corner. I stayed on the couch and waited as they changed to their training clothes.

I looked around. One wall has a been covered with mirror, at the wall opposite to the couch where I sat is a big flat screen TV, complete with a dvd player and sound whoopers. At a corner, there was a desktop computer with its monitor big and flat. This place looked like it causes thousands of won.

“We rent this place for one hundred thousand won everyday and on weekends, around two hundred or three hundred thousand won.” Suho oppa said smiling as he sat beside me.

“Oh?! Are you serious? It’s so expensive.” I said and he chuckled.

“We’re many so it’s not that quite of a problem.” He said and I nodded. Indeed, they were many but it’s still a big amount of money. “So, how’s the week?” He asked and I shrugged.

“Normal? I mean, the normal day I have in the school. Not the normal, uhm, something.” I said as I don’t know how to put it in words. He chuckled.

“I understand. Somebody’s still bullying you?” He asked and I looked down. Out of all the oppas, I’m sure Suho oppa is someone trustworthy but I’m not saying the others aren’t but what I’m trying to say is that, lying to him is a no-no because he’s so smart to fool. “There is, right?” He said worriedly and I sighed.

“But it’s ok. It’s nothing serious.” I said but in fact it was something serious. Honestly, I kept receiving threat letters but I just throw it.

“We know you don’t want to be a burden but we’re the one insisting to know so you shouldn’t think like that.” He said and I released a small smile.

“I’m ok, oppa, don’t worry. I’m a strong girl. I can defend for myself.” I said as I forced on my most convincing smile. I know he didn’t believe me but still he just nodded and smiled. He patted my shoulder as he stood up.

“Remember we’re always here, ok?” He said and I nodded. He said something that I wasn’t able to get but he already walked away so I just ignored it thinking maybe it’s not relevant. They started stretching and I just watched them from the side. They all look tired but with determination.

“Hyomi-ah! Watch us, eo?” The oppas said and I nodded, smiling.

“EXO hwaiting!” I shouted as I pumped my fist up. They smiled.

“Ok! One, two, three, go!” Kris oppa counted and they started dancing to the music.

The powerful song fits the steps just right. Their strong movements, the crisp of each steps plus the catchy rhythm of the song would surely make them win. Adding their determination and the fun you feel when you watch them is another factor. I can’t help but scream their group name and cheer for them.

“Hyomi-ah, saranghae!” I was startled when Luhan oppa shouted.

“I love you my face!” Baekhyun oppa shouted. I can’t help but chuckle.

“Nado, Luhan oppa!” I shouted and the members went ‘oos’.

“Oh yeah!” Luhan oppa shouted.

“What about us?” The others said. I chuckled. These guys can be so childish but being childish sometimes would be fine, right? I decided to play along with them.

“Saranghaeyo EXO oppas!” I shouted and they smiled.

“One, two, three” Suho oppa started counting and I wondered why but when they shouted all together, a smile crept on my lips.

“We Are One! We Are EXO!” They shouted as they did their final pose.

“WAH! JJANG!” I shouted as I clapped loud. They panted. I handed them bottles of water and they thanked me. It was fun watching them, having fun, being themselves. I hope I could smile and have fun like this too.

Daehyun’s POV

We entered our hang-out place in the abandoned building and changed to our training clothes immediately. It was four in the afternoon and we would be working our butts until ten or twelve midnight. We stretched as soon as everyone was ready. We felt more comfortable being able to take our mask off.

“Guys, remember, we need to win. We’ve been losing for two straight years. We can’t lose another time around.” Yongguk hyung said as he stood next to the music player.

“Neh!” We said.

“Good! So let’s go!” Yongguk hyung shouted and played the music. We stayed on our positions and when the music started playing, we started moving to the beat, to what we’ve been working on for the past few weeks.

“We need to win. We need to.” I heard Jongup said as he danced beside me. I turned to him a little but Yongguk hyung caught me.

“Daehyun-ah, focus!” He shouted and I apologized.

Our dance lasted for five minutes and for the final step, Jongup did back flips while Zelo made a quick split and put himself on his feet again while we did our final pose. We were sweating, panting. Our heavy breaths proved how we’ve been using up all our energy to the first round of practice. But we couldn’t stop. We need to polish our steps. We barely have two days left and we need to perfect this.

“Daehyun, don’t let yourself be out of focus. You might do the wrong step.” Yongguk hyung said.

“Hyung’s thinking of someone that is why.” Jongup sang.

“Yah! You punk! You were mumbling to yourself that’s why I looked at you!” I retorted.

“This two. Stop playing around.” Himchan hyung said.

“It’s not my fault.” I said.

“It’s not my fault too!” Jongup said.

“Yah! You two are so noisy!” Youngjae said shutting up us both. Jongup stuck his tongue out on me.

“Hyung’s thinking of Hyomi.” He sang in to me and I glared at him.

“Stop it. I’m not interested with that dimwit.” I said.

“Oh, you’re not lying? Because your actions say otherwise.” He smirked. I was about to say something when Yongguk hyung shouted, resuming practice.

“I’ll get back to you.” I said and he just smirked.

We started dancing again for an hour straight. We would only stop when someone makes a mistake and we repeat that part again until everyone gets it right. It was tiring. It was hard. But something’s telling me I should win because it’s not just the trophy and money I would win that day. I may sound weird already but that’s just how I feel that’s why I put more effort.

They say, training is not called training until your clothes are drenched in sweat and I think, we’re not just drenched with sweat, we look as if we just took a bath. After an hour and a half, Yongguk hyung allowed us to take a rest for twenty minutes then we will continue again for another hour or two. I got my towel and dried myself. I also changed my shirt since it was so wet already. I was changing when Himchan hyung stood beside me, drinking water.

“Why?” I asked.

“You and Jongup are so secretive these days.” He said and I shook my head as I walked to my bag.

“No, we’re not.” I said, trying to avoid the topic.

“Yea right. But Hyomi, you two seem to be close already.” Himchan hyung said and I made a disgusted face.

“No way, we’re not close.” I said shuddering with the thought.

“But you love teasing her?” Yongguk hyung suddenly came and soon, they were all around me.

“What’s this? An interview?” I tried joking around but they have smirks on their faces. “Don’t start with that again guys. I don’t give a damn to her. We’re not friends. We are enemies.” I said.

“Why are you calling her dimwit then?” Zelo asked that surprised me.

“Y-You know?” I asked.

“In fact, all of us know.” Youngjae said.

“Wait. Are you guys spying on me?” I said.

“We don’t need to spy on you. We have been hearing you all day saying dimwit, dimwit, dimwit, dimwit.” Youngjae said.

“It’s too obvious hyung!” Zelo said in a teasing voice.

“Oh please. It’s not what you guys think. When I tell you why, would you guys stop teasing me?” I said and they thought.

“It’ll be no fun if we agree.” Jongup said and I glared at him. “But I’m curious though.” He smiled.

“Ok. We’ll listen.” Himchan hyung said. I sighed. I didn’t think of this as a big deal, or do I? I don’t know but I just want them to stop teasing me. I then began telling them and they were sure paying attention on every word I said. I feel like laughing but of course I can’t.

“So that’s how it is?” Youngjae said.

“Oh, you shouldn’t have called her that just because,” Zelo stopped as I looked at him and smiled. “Nothing.”

“That’ll be unfair on her part, Daehyun. It’s not her fault if she believes on those things.” Himchan hyung said and I scoffed.

“I won’t say for you to move on but don’t get your anger out on her.” Yongguk hyung said and that slapped me hard on the face.

“You don’t know why she wished as well. What if she went through the same thing you did that’s why she thought of wishing?” Youngjae said and all they’re saying made me feel bad. But Jongup was quiet. Not saying a word since I finished talking.

“Aren’t you going to say something? I give you the chance now. Let’s get this done.” I said sounding annoyed but the truth is, I’m curious to what Jongup’s thinking. He looked at me and opened his mouth to talk but he closed it again. “What?” I asked. He shrugged.

“Nothing. I just thought about the wish flower.” He said.

“Let’s get back to practice now. Just know to limit yourself, Jung Daehyun and consider what we said. Saying sorry would also be fine.” Yongguk hyung said as he stood up and walked to the music player again.

The others followed him, leaving me on the couch. I sighed loudly. Why did I even say that to them? I should’ve just lied but they know me too well for me to lie. Urgh. I’m so confused now. Yoo Hyomi, why did you even enter our lives?! You’re making me go crazy!