I Like You

Wishing Upon A Flower

Falling U by T-Ara


Chapter 64 – I Like You

Hyomi’s POV

“Don’t you know what time it is already? We just met a while ago,” I said and he looked down, sighing.

“Sorry,” he said and I bit my lower lip. I’m pretty sure something is wrong. Hearing him say sorry to me is out of the usual. I looked at him before I finally gave in. This is what I hate about myself. I easily give in when it comes to people I know although I’m not close to them, like this guy before me.

“Okay, wait for me here,” I said and ran up back to my room as quietly as I can and changed to a different set of clothes that could keep me warm before walking down again. “Where do you want to go?” I asked as soon as I got to the gates and closed it.

“Anywhere,” he said.

“Okay. You owe me one,” I said and he just nodded. “Let’s just go to the park,” I said and he nodded again before we started to walk there.

It was a quiet walk. I don’t know what to do but to stare ahead. When we reached the park, we settled on the bench that had a good view of the playground, and he leaned his head back, closing his eyes. I looked at him doing that. I shook my head and looked away. Stop staring at him, pabo!

“Is anything wrong?” I asked to break the awkward silence.

“Everything,” he said in a soft voice and I gave him a look as if I didn’t get what he was saying, but in fact, I really don’t. How could everything go wrong?

“What everything?” I asked getting more confused all of a sudden.

“Everything’s wrong. I don’t know,” he said shaking his head. He covered his face with the palms of his hands. It was quiet for a while as I didn’t know what to do or say.

He looked so vulnerable right now, for the first time in front of me. I don’t know how to react as I know teasing him or bringing up our so called battle isn’t the right choice to do now. I’m also not good with jokes so it wasn’t an option also. Eotteokhe? Why am I even the one he called outside when he have friends who could help him more than I could? I don't even know if I can help him.

“Y-You can tell me what’s going on in your mind. I may not be a good adviser but I could be a good listener,” I said, stammering with my words. I side-glanced and saw him smile a little.

“You being here is enough,” he said making my heart beat so fast. What is he saying now? I playfully pushed him on his arm.

“You’re talking rubbish,” I said trying to remove the tensed air. He shook his head with a soft chuckle before it turned quiet again.

“You know what,” he said and I turned to him, waiting for him to talk again. “I admire you for loving your parents so much.”

“Eh? Of course. Why? Don’t you?” I asked a little baffled. As far as I know, he loves his mother so much that he would do anything for her.

“I do… My mom,” he said glancing my way. Feeling uncomfortable, I stick my lower lip out looking at the flicking light of the streetlamp.

“Then?”

“Don’t you wonder?”

“Wonder about what?” I asked and there was silence for a few seconds before he stared at a far distance.

“My father. Didn’t you notice I never brought up about it? Even my friends didn’t?” He said and that’s when I realized he was right. It’s not that I never wondered about his father. I did but I thought he was just working abroad or somewhere in the country that he couldn’t stay with them.

“Isn’t he just working somewhere away?” I asked. He looked at me with a raised eyebrow. “What? I’m wrong?”

“Yes,” he said and I puffed my cheeks.

“Ok. You never said anything so of course I don’t know,” I said sarcastically, propping my elbows on my lap and resting my chin on the palms of my hands. I heard him chuckle a bit. “Are you implying that you’re gonna tell me something about your father?” I asked surprised.

“Uhm… Are you interested?” He said looking at me and I shrugged.

“Sure. That’s what I’m here for, right? To listen to you and try...to help you?” I said and he groaned.

“Yeah, right,” he said leaning on the backrest.

“Aigoo. Never knew you were like this, huh, Mr. Arrogant?” I said and he looked away, clearing his throat.

“You want to hear it or not?” He asked and I nodded.

“Go,” I said urging him to talk. I looked over at him and he took a deep breath, as if he was looking for courage. My eyes softened. Maybe this was something he didn’t want to talk about but then, he was forced to talk now. “If you don’t like…”

“It was when I was young,” he began cutting me midsentence. I nodded as I let him talk. “…I woke up seeing my dad putting his things in his car.” I gulped. Now I feel as if I’m getting why he was like this. Why he had a sudden change of attitude. I decided to just listen and give comments after.

He continued with his story and every now and then, I would turn to look at him and notice how he stammers with his words and how he tried to say it without looking affected when in fact, he is, a lot. He was obviously on the verge of tears but he held it in, like how he is, a shell hard to break. I was actually shocked when he said his dad left them for another woman. I was agape. I didn’t think a guy would leave someone like his mother. She’s nice, kind, beautiful, and all. A girl who everyone would want to have, but I guess things aren’t just like that always.

“And now, he made my mother cry again,” he said.

“What? How?” I asked, a little confused once again. If his dad already left them, how come he made his mom cry again?

“That,” he began and I waited for him to continue but he never continued.

A comfortable silence surrounded us. I looked at him and he had worry lines visible on his forehead. I thought of how to comfort him as I’m no expert when it comes to people I’m not really close with. I ended up rubbing and patting his back. I looked far away biting my lower lip. I felt him gaze at me and I stopped, pulling my hand back to my lap looking down.

“Sorry, I don’t know other ways to comfort you, if that’s what you even need,” I whispered. There was no answer from him although from the side of my eyes, I saw him slightly smile. A smile I have been seeing these days when before, he wouldn’t even flash a small smile. Suddenly, there was a weight on my shoulder that startled me. My shoulder and back tensed and I froze. I gulped, glancing at him whose head rested on my shoulder.

I tried to move as it made me feel so nervous and the same time uncomfortable. My heart was beating on a different pattern, on a pattern I’ve felt long before…when he was around. I know also for the fact that it didn’t feel good but there was a tingling feeling into it that didn’t want to leave me. I bit my lower lip as my other hand clench. I’m not mad at him right now but to myself for allowing these feelings enter me.

“Sorry if I’m making you uncomfortable but can we stay like this for a while?” He said and reluctantly nodded.

“Sure, if this could comfort you,” I said. There was silence once again and I tried glancing at him but it was hard to even move a muscle afraid that he might get disturbed. Wait. Why would he even get disturbed?

"Maybe he has a reason. Did he tell you anything?" I said.

"No. During our vacation in Busan, I went to our old house, the reason why also I joined you in the restaurant only. He left a letter at our old house telling me everything but he didn't write the reason besides what I understood," he said. So that's why his eyes looked different that night. I could still remember how his eyes looked smaller than it was that time, he cried. I couldn't blame him though. 

"What about it?" I asked.

"He loves her more than us," he said and I could feel the anger in his voice as it became strong and serious. I kept quiet thinking of what he said. I need to select my words carefully as to not hurt him.

"Maybe he just said that but wasn't really the truth," I said.

"I don't know and I don't want to think about it. It's useless anyway. Not like something would change," he said and I pouted.

"Of course there will be," I said.

"What would that be?"

"You could at least fix your relationship. Its the least that could change. You could hear each others side and forgive him."

"I already did forgive him."

"Are you sure?" He fell silent. "You will never know until you try talk to him."

"I don't know. I couldn't even imagine meeting him after so many years," he said. 

"At least give him a chance," I said and he shrugged. "Did he try to connect to you?" He shrugged again. "If he did, then don't waste it. You are lucky that he is still alive. Life is short. You don't know when they will be taken away from you," I said and my voice getting softer as I said, "...like my parents." I looked down and he shifted from his position and I felt him gaze at me.

"Sorry," he said before we both fell silent.

After much silence and I got to get over our little conversation a while ago, I decided to ask something I’ve been thinking to ask since the time he messaged me.

“Why am I the one who you want to come with you? Won’t it be more comfortable if it’ll be your friends? The BAP guys? Aren’t you uncomfortable telling it to me, your…enemy?” I said and waited for an answer but he only moved a little on his position, probably feeling discomfort on his posture. A minute, I guess, passed but I received no answer. Slowly, I turned my head to look at him and found his eyes closed. Is he sleeping?

“Hey,” I said trying to wake him up but he just groaned. “Yah, you can’t sleep here,” I said. He didn’t reply and I my lips, looking around.

The branches and leaves and the grass swayed as the wind blew. The sidewalk and the playground were surrounded by snow. It was getting colder and colder as the night deepens but it’s as if he didn’t care. I puffed my cheeks and sighed. I suddenly felt him shaking a little and I got worried he might get sick as he wore only a few layers of clothing compared to me. Slowly and carefully, I took my jacket off and put it over him. I heaved a sigh of relief when he didn’t wake up from my movements.

It was silent besides the constant sound of the crickets and the sound of our breathing and besides that, everything was still. The flickering light a while ago had already lost its brightness and was off. Slowly, I felt my heart beat go back to its normal pace. I guess I was getting comfortable as the seconds, minutes go by.

I pondered about the things he had said and was saddened by the fact that his dad left them. I never thought anyone could actually do that especially to a lady like her mom and him. I’ve not known him that long enough but I could safely say that he was a good child and a son who could make their parents proud. He has excellent talent in singing and later  I knew, he has also talent in drawing as what Dong Geun oppa said during our walk. I felt bad knowing he had changed a lot after his dad left them for a woman unknown to them, or to him, at least.

A sly smile drew on my lips after thinking about our hang-out a while ago or yesterday as I think it’s already past midnight by now. It was fun, actually, though I thought it would be awkward having him around but I guess I got used to his presence since I meet him often and had done a couple of hang-outs and vacations with him.

I began to wonder now if we’re still in that situation. Is he still mad at me. No, wait. Let me rephrase that. Does he still hate me? I don’t even know why in the first place he hated me and maybe that’s why I hated him too. I recalled our first meeting, it was at Jongup’s working place. That wasn’t the first time I saw him nor was it the second time I did but it was my first meeting and it wasn’t a pleasant one. Maybe that took part of why I hated him and began calling him Mr. Arrogant.

It made me laugh when I remembered how childish we turn to be whenever we bicker about petty things. I went through my memory lane when he mumbled something and I peeked at him.

“What?” I asked. Is he talking in his sleep?

“I like you.”

Did I just hear that right?


HI! Sorry for this short chapter but I'll sure update again, if not today, tomorrow. I'm happy so I'll be updating around two chapters or three chapters before the weekend ends. :)

I hope you like this chapter. I enjoyed typing this for some reason so I hope you too enjoyed it. :)

Thank you!