Pause

Wishing Upon A Flower

Someday by Super Junior


Chapter 50 – Pause

Hyomi's POV

“Hyomi!” She beamed and pounced at me and if I hadn’t groan in pain, she would've hugged me tighter. “Sorry,” she said grinning. I saw Daehyun stand up walking towards the door and surprisingly, he had wore back his mask. I really don't get why he doesn't want to make his face known to many. I just didn’t mind him and turned to Ah Neul.

“It’s okay. What brought you here anyway?” I asked.

“Of course to visit you! What kind of question is that?” She said, pouting. I slightly smiled. “Where’s Daehyun by the way?” She asked looking around before she stopped and found Daehyun already out the door. 

“I’ll be back. Just…stay with her until I come back,” he said without looking at us. He left soon after, closing the door behind him. I scoffed at how he just left but just put it aside.

“Uhm, okay,” Ah Neul said although she knows Daehyun couldn’t hear her anymore. “Was he wearing a mask?” She thought loud and I had to laugh at how funny she looked confused pouting her lips. She turned her attention to me again and frowned. “Let me guess,” she said putting a finger out. “The queenkas did this to you, right?” I rolled my eyes. I knew I didn’t need to tell her because she knows me too well not to know who are capable of doing such thing. “Those es. I swear—“

“Don’t. I don’t want you to get involved in this. I’ll fix it since it’s my fault anyway to enter your lives without notice and ruin everything,” I said, my voice going low as I ended.

“Are you crazy? Who told you you’re at fault? From the very start, even before you came, they were the problems we want to get out of our sight, to leave our lives. Stop being little good two shoes, please,” she said. That kept me silent as I just sigh in reply.

“Why aren’t you in school, anyway?” I said, trying to change the topic.

“I can’t and I don’t want to knowing you’re in the hospital right now,” she said sitting on the seat Daehyun had sat on a few minutes ago. “Besides, do you want for your overacting cousin to rush here?” She said quoting the word overacting that made me chuckle. I shook my head.

“That’s the last thing I want, to let them worry,” I said and she slightly smiled.

“Then be happy I’m here,” she said with a smug. I softly hit her with the energy I have on the arm.

“And why should I be happy?” I said.

“Because I skipped school for you. Aish. Does it matter? I’m your best friend after all. I don’t need reasons to be by your side,” she shrugged making me smile.

“Thanks,” I said and she smiled.

“Don’t thank me so much. I didn’t do much anyway,” she said. I didn’t argue anymore and just let a soft chuckle to escape my lips.

We chatted after. I told her what really happened and I swear I saw her eyes throw invisible beams. Ok. I might be overreacting but she really did get mad to the point of slamming her fist on the bedside table. I needed to assure her after that I’m okay and she doesn’t need to worry.

An hour and a half passed before Daehyun came back in a different set of clothes. He carried a plastic in one hand as he entered and close the door.

“Oh, looks like someone brought food,” Ah Neul said eyeing the plastic on his hand. Daehyun placed it on the table before he put out the food containers out. Ah Neul went over to him, asking him if she could have but Daehyun pushed the food away from her.

“Let the sick eat first, okay,” he said. I chuckled at how Ah Neul snickered and went back to sitting. She recovered a little while after Daehyun finished putting foods on a plate. He went over to me and I could see the hesitation on his face. I quietly laugh at how funny he looked looking sidewards.

“I’ll just feed her,” Ah Neul said grabbing the plate away from Daehyun but before she could, Daehyun had pulled it away from her reach. “HEY!”

“Be sure to feed her. Not yourself,” he said. It got me thinking how could they be acting like they’re so close but I chose to keep that to myself as I laughed at both of them.

“Yeah! Fine,” Ah Neul rolled her eyes. Daehyun then gave the plate of food to Ah Neul and like how Ah Neul said, she helped me eat since I really don’t want to be fed when I could, somehow, move my arms. Daehyun stayed on the couch, watching us both.

“Aren’t you going to eat?” I asked. He pointed to his mask immediately and I wanted to make a facepalm. How couldn’t I notice that?

“Until when are you going to keep that? Your friends got rid of them already,” Ah Neul said.

“Until the right time comes,” he shrugged.

“And when’s that?” I asked, curious. He gave me a look as if he was trying to say something that I couldn’t perceive.

“Just don’t mind me,” he said before looking away. I scoffed.

It became quiet after a while. I savored the taste of the food as it really tasted delicious. I haven’t had this meal for a while since auntie and uncle often goes home late and we had to cook the foods ourselves and with Baekhyun’s bad cooking together with my bad skills too, we always end up eating some instant noodles or what’s available.

After the meal, we just chatted with each other although Daehyun kept quiet almost the whole time. They told me to sleep but I refused. My head’s already aching from sleeping and I don’t think I need more of it until later. Ah Neul would often ask Daehyun questions or ask for his opinion on something which he only gives short replies. I didn’t mind though because I was so used to it. I’m even surprised he bothered answering. No offense to that, though.

Time flew so fast that we didn’t notice that it was, if we were in school, time for dismissal. Daehyun took a call a few minutes after three-thirty and returned saying Yongguk oppa would be coming over in a few. Ah Neul, on the other hand, had to leave since she didn’t ask permission in going to the hospital but instead said she’s going to school and second, I told her that she’d been here too long and I think she deserves some rest as well.

We were alone as soon as Ah Neul left and it turned to the usual awkward atmosphere. I wanted to ask him so many questions but I don’t know how. I kept on glancing to him but said nothing. I just sighed. I looked around and saw my phone lying on the same place where Daehyun left it this morning. I tried to get up and walk there but because of the tube connected to me and the pain I felt, I couldn’t. I reluctantly turned to Daehyun and I guess he saw me struggling and stood up, getting the phone and giving it to me.

“Thank you,” I said and he nodded, taking the seat beside me. I then opened my phone and found some messages and most of it was from Baekhyun and Sehun oppa.

I opened one message after the other. Mostly, it was them asking where I am and why I’m absent. I know I had to reply to them but it was rather risky to do so. What would I just tell them? I couldn’t possibly tell them I’m stuck in the hospital bed for the second time. There were missed calls too. Maybe I was too busy talking to Ah Neul to even notice my phone vibrating from the other part of the room. At least I know someone cared.

Daehyun’s POV

After giving her phone, I sat on the seat beside her bed than sitting on the couch where I have been sitting for quite a while. I tried to stop being so curious but I still kept on glancing her way to see her smiling while reading some messages on her phone. Leaning on the chair, I glanced sideways to see who the messages she’s reading were from and regretted later. Of course it had to be messages from Sehun. There are nothing else that could make her smile like that. Rolling my eyes, I looked away not getting interested anymore. After some silence, I coughed to get her attention.

“Are you going to keep on smiling there like an idiot?” I said without looking at her. I felt her look at me before going back to her phone.

“Why are you helping anyway?” She asked, ignoring my asking.

“Do I really have to answer that?” I said and she shrugged, still with her eyes on her phone. “I’m talking to you then you’re doing something else, how nice,” I muttered and I didn’t know if she heard it but she suddenly stopped pressing on her phone before putting it down on the bedside table.

“Sorry,” she said. I just didn’t say anything and waited for her to talk. “You could or could not answer if you want,” she said.

“The answer is actually obvious. It’s because you need help,” I said but at the back of my head, it was different. It goes along the lines of I want to. I couldn’t tell her that because she might think some other things although I hope that she would get the message if ever that happens. That might create some problems though. I still keep in mind what Yongguk hyung said.

“Right. I’m so stupid,” she muttered. I looked at her and she was again looking at her lap. “Aren’t you guys mad at me?” I don’t know whether to answer or not because I myself don’t know the answer.

Am I mad at her? But why? Is it because she lied to me? But she’s not in the first place obliged to tell me. Is it because I like her that I got mad when she got a boyfriend? Should I tell her that I like her that’s why and just let her think what’s the possible reasons that could root from those three words? I pondered on that questions until she called my attention.

“Yah, are you still there?” She asked waving a hand in front of my face.

“Uh, yeah,” I said. She kept quiet, obviously waiting for a reply. “I don’t know. Ask the guys,” I said. That’s the lamest thing I’ve said as a reply to her as far as I could remember. If I’m mad, I should know the answer but I don’t.

“But they won’t talk to me too,” I heard her whisper. I look at her and saw how her face looked so sad.

“I’m sure though that they’ll be talking to you. Just wait,” I blurted out. All I could think of why I said that is that I don’t want to see her sad like that, not any more. I saw her face brightened a bit.

“Thanks,” she said.

“For what?” I asked.

“For everything. Although I don’t understand you at many times, thank you for always helping me when I get in trouble. I might really be a magnet to that,” she said and chuckled at her own statement. I just laughed though I shook my head. It turned quiet after and I curiously looked at her.

“What?” I asked.

“You laughed? You did, right? Or my ears’ playing with me?” She said. I rolled my eyes and decided not to answer. She softly punched me on the arm and I gave her a look. The touch made some tingling feeling inside of me and allowed heat reach my cheeks. “Laugh more. Doesn’t it feel good? To loosen up once in a while?” I thought for a while before shrugging. “Aigoo. Still acting firm. Let’s pause the game for a while, okay?” She said. Since I’m getting uncomfortable, I tried to .

“You giving up now?” I said.

“Yah! I just said pause! Not end!” She said. Removing my mask, I stuck my tongue out. “So you’re sticking your tongue out on me now, huh?” She said.

“Yes, why?” I mocked.

“Hey! You’re going back to teasing ha!”

“And so?” I said and inched a little closer like how I used before.

“Stop it.”

“What if I don’t like?” I inched closer and she leaned back as I did.

“What are you doing?” She asked.

“Doing w—“

“What are you doing Jung Daehyun?” I jerked back and turned to the door to see Yongguk hyung by the doorway.

“Oh, hyung, you’re here,” I said scratching the back of my neck, feeling heat on my cheeks.

“Didn’t I tell you to watch out your actions?” He said.

“We were just...teasing each other. No big deal,” I said and he gave me one firm look before looking at Hyomi.

“How are you feeling?” He asked.

“A lot better. Thank you oppa,” she said and how she said oppa made me jealous. Out of all the guys, besides Zelo who is younger than her and Jongup who is of her age, I’m the only one she don’t call oppa. Why am I even upset over that simple thing?

“Have Daehyun taking care of you?” He asked.

“Yah! Of course I am,” I said. I heard her laugh before she nodded.

“Neh, oppa. Although he becomes cranky at some times, he’d been a great company,” she said. Even though she called me cranky, at least she ended it with a good comment or else.

“That’s good then,” Yongguk hyung said smiling, putting his bag away. “I can’t stay for too long. I’ve bought some fruits though,” he said pulling out some plastic from his bag.

“Oh, thanks oppa,” she said.

“Anytime,” Yongguk hyung said as he peeled an orange for her before handing it to her.

They talked for a while before Yongguk hyung needed to leave. He called me out though for a while and I knew what it’s all about.

“What did I tell you?” He said.

“I know. It’s just that…we were just teasing each other,” I said sounding all defensive but I couldn’t help but to sound like it.

“She has a boyfriend for goodness sake Daehyun. You couldn’t just do that because you wanted to ,” he said. My fist clenched. I decided against my emotions and just kept quiet. I heard him sigh before dismissing the topic. “I’ll be leaving already and again, please consider the risk with what you’re doing. Have you talked to the doctor yet?”

“Yes. He said that she could leave tomorrow,” I said.

“Good but we need to tell Baekhyun something before he gets so worried. You should let her talk to Baekhyun this time. Just tell her that. I’ll go ahead now. I’ll be expecting you tomorrow, ok?” He said and I nodded. He then left after and I went in, seeing her eating the fruits Yongguk hyung brought.

I sat on the same seat and wondered if I should say sorry or not but that’s the best thing to do if I don’t want to bring up some misunderstanding.

“Sorry,” I said.

“It’s okay. Just don’t do it next time. It’s quite, you know,” she said. I nodded, understanding. I saw her reach for the apple on the bedside table and so I got it and brought it to the table to cut it. After, I brought it to her. She smiled.

“Thanks,” she said before eating. “Don’t you want some?” She asked. I just shook my head. “Okay. If you changed your mind just get,” she said. Feeling hunger, I got one slice and ate. I heard her chuckle but just ignored it.

“Yongguk hyung said you should call Baekhyun and tell him why you’re not home,” I said. She nodded with a sigh. She got her phone a little while after and stared at it for some minutes before holding it on her ears.

“Oppa?”

I then decided to transfer to the couch and lean on the couch, closing my eyes. I could feel my body relax a bit from the tiring day although I didn’t actually do much than assist her. I can’t help but to listen to her talking. After a few minutes, I heard her say bye and put the phone on the bedside table. I heard her moving and I peeked through one eye and saw her lying down. I closed my eyes immediately when she turned to me.

“He fell asleep that fast?” She muttered. I heard her sigh afterwards. “Even though I don’t get you, if you’re mad at me or not, if you hate me or not, still, thank you and I hope we could stop the game instead of pausing it.”

With that, I opened my eyes to see her sleeping.

“I also hope I could stop falling for you because that’s, I realized, the only way I could consider you a friend.” I thought before drifting to sleep with her occupying my mind.


 HEY~ Here's the next part of the previous chapter. Sorry if it's getting more boring. I'll try to improve on the following chapters. 

Thank you for reading!

Read, Subscribe, Comment! :)

In for some surprises anyone? :))