Their Past

Wishing Upon A Flower

Born To Beat - BTOB


Chapter 4 – Their Past

Daehyun’s POV

It was a Saturday afternoon. We gathered in a part of an abandoned building which we, somehow, claimed ours after we found it few years ago and we basically cleaned and decorated it until it looked like a decent place. Everyone was doing their own thing; Yongguk hyung watching a movie, Himchan hyung pestering Youngjae who was doing his homework, Jongup doing work out and Zelo playing with his game console, while I sat quietly on the couch beside Yongguk hyung.

The thoughts of the dim-wit girl keep on appearing in my mind and it makes me smirk everytime I remember her image wishing on a wish flower almost a week ago. I don’t know why I can’t get it out of my system.  It was just so amusing, at least for me. I then remembered the times when we meet eyes. The feeling I get, it’s something…unexplainable. I snapped out from my thoughts when Yongguk hyung raised an eyebrow at me and spoke.

“What are you chuckling about? You’re like an idiot.” He said. I just shook my head and smirked.

“Nothing.” I replied. I’m not a man who talks and says a lot of words that’s why I usually reply like this and they’re used to it.

“Maybe he’s in his own little world again.” Himchan hyung commented and I rolled my eyes.

“Guys,” Jongup said making us turn to him. “Don’t you think we could use Baekhyun’s girlfriend, oh I mean, ex-girlfriend to pester them?” Jongup grinned and I raised an eyebrow at him. All our attention had turned to him with what he said.

“Are you crazy? We can’t pick on a fight. You even said that.” Youngjae said.

“We’re not going to fight them,” He said quoting ‘fight’.  “We’re just going to tease them. They should learn their lesson about playing with girls’ heart.” Jongup reasoned out.

“Are you concerned about the girl or it’s because you like her?” Youngjae smirked. My eyes furrowed at Jongup with what Youngjae said. He doesn’t even know how that girl is a dimwit for crying out loud.

“And so what? You jealous?” Jongup said that made me laugh. They turned to me. “What’s funny?” Jongup said.

“What you said.” I said trying to hold back my laughter.

“It’s not funny.” Jongup stated. Yongguk hyung turned to me with speculating eyes.

“What?” I said still laughing.

“You have something to share?” He said and that made me stop. He knows me too well.

“Yeah! Nothing’s funny with what Jonguppie said. I bet there’s something else.” Zelo said.

“Should I tell them?” I thought as they looked at me, waiting for an answer.

“Nothing. It’s just funny how Jongup fell in love like that.” I lied.

“Like that? I didn’t even said if I really did fell in love with her. Aish.” Jongup hissed.

“Then what?” I said.

“I…” He paused thinking. “I like to know her more. That’s it for now.” Jongup said and I smirked.

“Yeah, whatever bro.” I said waving him off. Jongup rolled his eyes.

“I’m not done with you Daehyun,” Yongguk hyung said looking at me. I hissed. He’s like that, always. “Going back, aren’t you also going to play with that girl’s heart if ever?” Yongguk hyung said.

“No, not exactly. We’re just going to befriend her.” Jong up said as he sat on the floor beside Zelo. I know its weird how we could jump to another topic to another that fast but that’s just how we are.

“It will lead to that, Jongup. You know that.” Yongguk hyung said.

“It’s not a bad plan.” Himchan said as he sat beside Jongup and slung his arm over his shoulder. “Maybe we could do our payback?”

“We already fought them once. Was that not enough? Also, we should leave that girl alone.” Youngjae said. Himchan hissed.

“That’s not enough. They almost ruined my face.” Himchan said.

“You vain guy.” I threw a pillow at him.

“Waeyo?! It’s true!” He whined.

“We might get expelled if we get into a fight with them again. You know how powerful those guys are.” Zelo said and we fell silent. We get what he meant by that. It’s not being expelled that he’s thinking but what would happen if we were expelled. Not just the scoldings. The thugs.

It’s been some time now. Three years, no, four years? I can’t remember clearly when but I could still remember what happened that day. It was as if we were running for our lives. Actually, we were. It’s also when we met each other.

Flashback

Yongguk hyung, Youngjae and I were in front of a convinience store fooling around when we saw a group of guys being cornered by a gangster group.

“What’s that?” Yongguk asked as he looked closely.

“I think they’re asking them something?” I said.

“Stupid. They’re ganging up against them!” Youngjae said. In our view, we could see a boy who looks so young, a guy who looks around Yongguk hyung’s age and a guy around Youngjae’s age. Our eyes furrowed at them.

“Should we help them?” I asked.

“We’re going to get ourselves in trouble.” Youngjae said.

“But they need our help. Let’s go.” Yongguk hyung said and we didn’t have any choice but to follow. We can’t leave our hyung alone, that’s for sure, and the three boys seemed too helpless. “YAH!” Yongguk hyung hollered. The gangster guys looked around to us. My jaw tightened as my hands trembled.

“Ohh… Look who we have here. Isn’t this Yongguk? The underground rapper?” One guy said as he was about to slung an arm around Yongguk hyung but was pushed away.

“Don’t hold me and what if I am an underground rapper? Any problem with that?” Yongguk hyung said. The guy and his gang smirked.

“You see… You keep on beating our maknae here.” He said putting an arm around a guy. Yongguk hyung smirked.

“Oh. Him. It’s not my fault I’m better than him, right?” Yongguk hyung said. I could remember that guy. He’s indeed not good or at least not as good as Yongguk hyung is.

“Not your fault?” The guy grunted and then advanced towards Yongguk hyung. “Then what you’re getting tonight is not OUR fault.” The guy said and threw a punch at Yongguk hyung and the fight begun.

We didn’t have time to talk with the three boys since the fight begun. They were too strong for us but since we were two times many than them, we somehow had a chance to win. It was already dark that time and the place we were that time is somehow deserted that moment as it always had been. I threw a punch at a guy throwing him on the ground. I turned to Yongguk hyung and found a guy holding a dagger towards him and since it’s his back facing that guy as he helped one of the three boys, he was too oblivious to it. I looked around for something and saw a long block of wood. I got it and hit it on the back of the guy making him fall to the ground.

“RUN!” Youngjae shouted and we did. I let go of the wood and ran. We were running for our lives. We have scratches around our body and bruises on our faces. Our aching body didn’t help. I looked back and they were still running after us with the guy I hit clutching on his back sending me dagger looks. I cursed under my breath and ran faster.

“This way.” Youngjae said turning to an alley. We followed him.

“Here.” One of the three boys said pointing to a door which looked as if it would break any moment. We sneaked in the door and darkness filled us. But it didn’t matter that time. All that matters is that we get ourselves to a safe place. It was quiet, only our heavy breathing was heard. Little after, we heard voices.

“Where did they go?!” A guy shouted.

“Let’s try here!” One guy said. We hoped that it they went away already. We stayed still until we didn’t hear any voices.

“I’ll take a look.” Yongguk hyung said as he walked towards the door but I pulled him back.

“They still might be there.” I said in a low but audible voice.

“Trust me.” He said and I sighed loudly as I let go of him. He peeked out and slowly set foot outside. A minute later, he came back and called us out. “It’s clear. We’re safe.” He said with a faint smile. We were able to breathe normally after as we crawled out our hiding place.

“We*pant*made it. We lost*pant*them.” Youngjae said and stiffled a laugh. We don’t know but we also broke out laughing.

“Thank you. We owe you our lives. I’m Himchan.” Himchan held his hand out.

“Yongguk. It’s nothing.” Yongguk shook his hand. And that’s how our group was formed but it’s also how our lives turned like this.

We had to cover half of our faces not be recognized. We had to transfer school because they found us a few days later. We had to protect our families knowing how bad those gangsters were. They’re one of the most notorious gangs in town.

You could say we lived trying to keep our identities unknown, running for our lives, and living in fear.

End of Flashback

“Ok, fine. Let’s not do it.” Himchan sighed. “For our family, us,”

“And for the girl’s sake.” Youngjae continued. It was quiet after that, with everyone staring blankly at space.

“It’s been sometime that we didn’t talk about them.” Yongguk hyung suddenly said and we nodded.

“We’re just thankful they haven’t reached us yet and I hope they won’t.” Youngjae said. I turned to my wrist watch and then stood up.

“I need to go. I’ll be looked for at home. See you guys in school on Monday.” I said as I walked towards the door pulling my mask up.

“Ok. Bye!” They shouted. I waved at them and walked out.

I got my earphones out and plugged it in my ears. I started to walk to the bus stop with my hands inside my pockets. It took me less than five minutes to reach the bus stop. I waited for a few minutes and my bus came. I got in and sat at the first seat I found that is available.

As the ride went on, I stared out the window until something caught my eye. My eyebrows furrowed.

“Dimwit?” I mumbled. She looked as if she’s being hit on by guys. I turned in front, trying to ignore it but something is telling me to get out of the bus and help her, and so I did. I asked the ahjussi to stop and apologized since it’s not a bus stop for me to tell him to stop. I went down and closed my eyes in frustration. I walked towards her and the groups of boys surrounding her. This girl should thank me after this, she better do.

“What do you kiddos think you’re doing?” I said. I look younger than them when they looked at me and I saw their faces and I was taken aback for a few moments since they were shorter than me, except for the curly haired guy, that's why I thought they're some middle school kid. They looked back at me and smirked. I met eyes with the dimwit again. “Go.” I mouthed but she stood still. I grunted. She’s so stupid!

“How dare you call us kiddos, kiddo?” One of them said as he stepped towards me. “And who are you? Don’t you know us?” He said.

“It doesn’t matter who I am. You’re hitting on a girl plus you’re in a public place yet you’re acting like that.” I said.

“Why? Are you her boyfriend?” They turned to the dimwit. “Is he your boyfriend?” They asked and I rolled my eyes as she just turned to look at me.

“He’s…”

“Just back off, will you?” I said as I grabbed her hand and pull her to my side. They glared at me and one of them held her other wrist.

“You’re not her boyfriend so it’s you who better back off.” He said. I sighed out loud.

“You…do you know who’re you messing with?” I said and they smirked.

“A guy who’s nothing compare to us?” One said and the others started laughing.

“You’re messing with…” I leaned near to his ear and whispered. I moved away after and they stared at me surprised. They bowed.

“Sorry. We’ll be leaving now!” They said and scurried away.

“And they’re not kiddos?” I smirked.

“Uhm…My…” It was then that I noticed that I’m still holding her hand. I let go and walked away. “Wait!” She caught up. I stopped and faced her.

“Don’t go to areas like this ever again, you hear me? This dimwit.” I said, whispering the last two words and walked away.

“Yah! I’m just going to say thank you.” She said and I just put my right hand up and put it down after a second and walked to the nearest bus stop. Unexpectedly, a smile crept up lips. 

You owe me now dimwit.


At last! Sorry it took time for me to update this chapter! I kept on retyping it because I'm not satisfied with what I typed before. I hope this chapter is fine with you though. I hope you will continue to support me. Thank you!

Please comment! It would motivate me more to update. :)

Read, Comment, Subscribe! <3

Thank you for xinfinity @ xdropthebomb for the beautiful poster! It's lovely, isn't it? :)