Kimchi Jjigae

Wishing Upon A Flower

 

Super Hero by Boyfriend


 

Chapter 42 – Kimchi Jjigae

Hyomi’s POV

It’s already dark but here I am, finding my way towards some arrogant man’s house. I don’t even know what got into me that I agreed to come. If only I didn’t owe him from saving me, I wouldn’t even dare to reply. I’m also curious as to how he got my number. Only Jongup as far as I could remember knows my number out of them six. Whatever.

The thing that irritated me the most is that I had to leave Sehun oppa. We were having fun in an arcade when I received the text message, and I was just lucky that it was also getting dark that’s why I had some excuse to leave. I couldn’t possibly tell him I’m going to a guy’s house or else he would force to come with me.

With a sigh, I stopped from my tracks and checked the address on my cell phone. I’ve never tried going around our place yet that’s why I don’t know the way around. I know I’ve been living here for two months but I’m too lazy to look around.

“B28… Where the heck is that?!” I puffed my cheeks as I looked around and my eyes lit up when I found the house I’ve been looking for. I walked over to the gate of a two-story house and stopped right in front of it and did a double take if I came to the right place. “Grey house,” I uttered. I’m pretty sure I’m right. I peeked in the peep hole and found no one when suddenly, an eye appeared making me stumble backwards and because of my clumsiness, I fell and hit my on the cold ground. I flinched. Right then, the gate opened and appeared him laughing and honestly, I was mesmerized by his façade again but seeing how he laughed, it immediately faded.

“So clumsy,” he said, smirking. I glared at him. I stood up and dusted myself.

“Whatever. What do you want?” I asked straight forwardly since I’m slowly becoming impatient, only to him. He shook his head with the same smirk.

“Whoah. You owe me remember?” He said and my eyebrows twitched.

“B-Bwoh?! I didn’t ask you to save me!” I said and bit my lower lip. Ok. Maybe I didn’t ask him but I should be thankful since if it’s not for him, something might’ve happened to me. He smirked.

“You should even be thankful to me. You’re really different,” he said. I just looked away. “Come on in that is if you don’t want to catch a cold,” he said and turned, walking inside. I watched his back glaring but I immediately softened when I noticed how he tried to walk in a stable way. He shouldn’t act like he’s ok even if he doesn’t. Anyway, he asked me to come to help him, right? Since I’m already there and I’m not some ignorant person neither an ungrateful person, I stepped in and closed the gate before following him to the front door.

Once I got in, a very cozy living room welcomed me. I suddenly felt the feeling of a home, something I’ve always felt when I come home in our house in Busan when we were still complete. I got my shoes off and put it aside before taking one more step in. I just stood there looking around. It was furnished with a TV, a couch, and a coffee table in the middle of the first two. At the left, there’s a stair leading to the second floor most likely. Overall, it gave me a very good feeling.

“Are you just going to stand there?” My eyes diverted to him who stood by the entrance to the kitchen. I didn’t reply and he just rolled his eyes.

“What will I do?” I asked. Obviously, I couldn’t just freely move around the house since one, this is not my house and two because it’s my first time there and I don’t ever think there will be a second time. He sighed.

“Go sit there,” he said nodding to the couch. I did like I was told.

“Then?” I asked. Are trying to do a step by step procedure?

“Water, juice, what?” He asked making me smile and let out a chuckle. “What are you laughing at?” He asked leaning on the wall. I shook my head.

“It’s just that you act different right now,” I said. He rolled his eyes.

“Don’t answer then,” he said and sat at the other side of the couch. We were quiet after and the awkwardness is killing me. I don’t know what to say though I wanted to ask how he’s doing. I glanced at him but quickly looked away when he turned my way.

“H-How are you?” I stuttered and I wanted to slap myself for stuttering. What if he thinks I’m scared of him? I hope not. Darn.

“What do you want hear?” He asked looking my way. I looked at him and our eyes locked with each other. It felt as if I’m under a spell that’s hard to get out. I tore my gaze away and looked at my lap.

“What kind of question is that? That’s why I’m asking if you’re alright then you will ask me back,” I said. I was right, right? It’s kind of stupid to ask back the same question when obviously, it’s only you who could answer it.

“Well, when I say I’m good you’ll leave right?” He said and my nose scrunched up. Then if he’s ok, what am I doing here?!

“Why did you ask me to go here when you’re alright?!” I said, almost shouted.

“Then you answered your question,” he said looked in front. I blinked. I was left dazed for a second before I realized what he meant. Maybe I’m not right then, just MAYBE.

“What do you want me to do, then?” I asked, sighing. What did I get myself into?

“Just help me around until my mom comes back,” he said and my eyes turned to him.

“What time is she coming back?” I asked. He looked at the wall clock and I followed his gaze.

“Two hours from now?” He said and nodded. “Yeah, two hours,” he said. I almost gagged since I wasn’t able to ask permission and for sure if ever I would, like what I said a while ago, it’s either Baekhyun oppa won’t allow me or Sehun oppa would come with me which would really be embarrassing. I don’t want what happened the other day with Jongup happen again. I thought for a while. Should I tell Baekhyun oppa or just wait ‘til his mom comes?

Where did I get myself stuck the nth time? Dang.

Daehyun’s POV

I don’t know why I’m praying she won’t leave. Maybe because I want to annoy her or maybe because I…no, that’s impossible. I glanced over at her. It’s taking her time to answer after I told her what time my mom would arrive. I should’ve told her an earlier time so she wouldn’t have to think that deep. I crossed my two fingers and unconsciously, I was tapping my foot on the floor.

“I would need to ask permission first but for sure oppa wouldn’t allow me,” she said and looked at me.

“Who? Your cousin?” I asked and was slowly loosing hope she would stay and I could annoy her. Oh well. That’s me. She nodded.

“Yeah,” she replied. I kept quiet since I don’t know what to do. There was silence for a while until she shrugged. “Oh well. He would understand anyway, I hope,” she said. I bit back my smile. Yes!

“Ok then,” I said keeping how I honestly am happy.

“What do you want me to do now then? Do you like something?” She asked. I thought for a while. My mom would probably back to cook dinner but I also want to taste her cooking so yeah. That’ll be a great idea and then I’ll annoy her telling how bad her cooking is. OH YEAH! You’re so smart!

“I’m hungry,” I said bluntly.

“Hungry?” She said and I nodded.

“I’m hungry so cook me food,” I said and she looked over at the kitchen. I followed her gaze.

“I’m not good at cooking,” she said in a low voice.

“I’ll be good with anything,” I said shrugging. I saw her puffing her cheeks before slowly nodding. She stood up, putting her back pack aside. She walked towards the kitchen but looked back immediately.

“Where’s the ingredients?” She asked.

“There in the cupboard. You could also check the refrigerator,” I replied and she nodded before looking in those things. I watched her move back and forth the cupboard and refrigerator that I hadn’t realized how I was smiling like a fool. I gulped and bit back my smile. What am I even smiling for?

“Is it ok that I cook kimchi jiggae?” she asked looking inside the cupboard.

“Sure, anything that you could cook that is edible,” I teased and she glared at me. I stifled a laugh as I continued to watch her move around the kitchen through the doorway and the open window space.

I could see how she concentrated and how she thought so hard how to cook kimchi jiggae. She looked cute—Wait what?! No. Snap out of it. I just diverted my eyes to other things that are interesting and it happened to be her backpack lying at the other side of the couch where she once sat. I looked back at her and found her busy so I took the chance to rummage inside her bag. Well, I’ll not steal anything. I’m just curious what it contains. Slowly, I sneaked out the living room and walked up to the second floor to my room bringing her bag with me. With a grin, I closed my door and locked it. Uhm, I wonder what this little blue bag have. This better be interesting.

I slowly got her things out and remembered how it was first placed since it was so organized that she would notice with one look if I touched something. It was mainly notebooks and some text books. I knew how she ranked in their level so I opened one of her notebooks and checked if she really is smart. So far, as I flip the pages one by one all I could see is good scores and notes that were cleanly written. I closed the notebook and proceed to the other notebooks.

The next notebooks I looked at were almost the same with the first notebook I’ve seen; clean and the score were something you would want to get. Well, except Math that is. That’s what I’m at least good at. I’m not the best but I could get good scores. I was actually thinking if there will be something interesting dribbled but I guess she was too organized and clean with her notebook for her to have those writings.

I then got one of her books and flipped it in a fast manner. At the last page of the book where it’s just a blank page, things were dribbled making me smile and laugh. She drew different kinds of emoticons and random words. She also wrote some names and I guess, as far as I could remember, this are her friends’ name from Busan. I closed the book and got another book. Like the first one, there were emoticons and random things but the things that caught my attention is my name being written on it. It made my nose scrunch.

“BWOH?! Stupid, arrogant, idiot Daehyun?!” That girl! I tried to stop myself from calling her and ask why the heck she had to write that but thought of a better idea. I got a pen and started dribbling. I grinned while writing but before I could finish what I wrote and drew at the same time, I stopped. I gulped at the thought that came to my mind. I shook the thought away and drew an emoticon before closing it. I felt my racing heart and did an inhale-exhale.

I took another book and flipped it the same way I did with the first two books and it stopped in a specific page. I didn’t get surprised since something was inserted between the two pages. It was a polaroid picture and I think it was taken three years ago. The date is written at the back that’s why.

2009, February

BEST VACATION EVER! With omma and appa~

I softened upon reading it. I looked at it thoroughly and could see how she resembled both her parents equally. Her mom is sure pretty and her dad was also good-looking. I turned to look at her. The smile was something I haven’t seen since I’ve met her. Her laughs and smiles looked so genuine whenever she's around her friends but I’m sure there’s something more genuine than it something that only her parents might be able to draw on her face. I wonder though. Where’s her parents? Why does she live with her cousin?

“Mr. Arrogant, where are you?!” DARN. I put the picture back where it was before and returned all her things that I put out inside like how it was before.

“I’LL BE THERE! FIX THE TABLE FIRST!” I shouted and walked out the room, careful that she wouldn’t see I’ve taken her bag with me. When I came to the last step of the stairs, I peeked behind the wall and saw her grumbling while fixing the table. I sneaked out and placed her bag back down.

“Where did you go?” I immediately faced her. “What’s with the surprise face?” She smirked.

“Bwoh?” I said. She rolled her eyes before nodding to the kitchen.

“Your food is ready,” she said and I nodded, walking towards the dining table.

“Looks good,” I said as I sat down in front of the bowl she had set. She didn’t say anything so I just grabbed my spoon and took a spoonful. Before I ate it though, I looked up and she was staring at me. “What are you looking at?” I asked.

“Just eat,” she said without taking her eyes of off my spoon. I shook my head in amusement and took the first spoon.

My eyes widened. It was sure good. I took another spoon of soup and ate it.

“How’s it?” She asked. The question I’ve been waiting for. I tried to look as if I didn’t like the food but not to the point that I looked as if I’m disgusted. I looked at her and found her pouting.

“I failed again, omma,” she mumbled. I watched how she sighed and softly smiled. “Sorry. I’m not really good at cooking,” she said. What is she trying to do? Make me feel bad? Aish. But it’s not true though. I’m just trying to . Aigoo.

“It’s edible though,” I said trying to make her feel a little better but failed. I just know. She nodded.

“I’ll be in the living room. I hope you don’t mind if I do my home works here?” She said. Sometimes, I come to think that’s she’s a 4D person since sometimes she’s angry then sad then happy and right now, I thought she would get angry.

“Sure but don’t you want to eat?” I asked. “But if you want to starve, it’s ok too.” Damn. Why do you have so say something to get her mad after saying something good?! She snickered.

“No thanks. I’m not hungry,” she said and turned to go to the living room. I just shrugged and continued to eat her delicious cooking. Sht. I hope I didn’t mess something or else, I’ll be yelled by her. I watched as she grabbed her bag and open it. She took out one of her notebooks and I sighed in relief when her face was just calm. I continued eating after.

I glanced at her through the open window space once in a while and found her concentrating. I continued to watch her while eating when I stupidly touched the hot pot just near me on the table. I shrieked and flailed my right hand. I hissed. This is your fault Hyomi. You kept on stealing my attention.

“What happened? Are you ok?” Hyomi asked. She looked in the kitchen and chuckled. I glared at her. “Sorry. I didn’t know you were that stupid,” she said.

“WHAT?! Actually, it’s your fault because you—“ I stopped as I almost spilled out why.

“How is that my fault?” She said crossing her arms over her chest.

“Just because,” I said as I blew on my burn. Suddenly she came over and put her hand out. I looked at her with a ‘what’ look. She looked away.

“Let me see it,” she said. I smirked. She does have a soft spot for me or is she just good because she owes me? I prefer the first one. It doesn’t matter anyway. I put my hand on her hand. I felt uncomfortable when she held my hand and inspected it. “I didn’t know you were clumsy,” she said. I pulled my hand away.

“Why? You’re clumsier, remember? You even fell on the ground a while ago,” I said.

“It’s your fault why I fell,” she snickered. “Where’s your first aid kit?” She asked.

“It’s in the bathroom,” I said. “Why?” I asked. Did I just ask why? That was dumb of me. Aish.

She rolled her eyes and just walked away to the bathroom. It was obvious where the bathroom is since there’s only one door located in the first floor. She came back a little after and pulled a chair so that she would be in front of me. She opened the kit and looked through it before getting the ointment for burn.

“Your hand,” she said.

 I put my hand on the table and she dabbed it with ointment. I felt it cool and the feeling of her dabbing ointment on it made me feel as if she was my mother taking care of me though my mom of course is better. That was a given. I stared at her and later, I was already checking her features. She had a double-eyelid which is so rare for girls in our country. Her nose is perfect in shape. Her eyes were of brown, something like a chocolate. Her lips……..

“Done!” she said and quickly closed the ointment and put it back in the kit. Luckily, I was able to look away before she looked at me. She snickered. I looked at her and she stood up, taking the kit with her. “Not even one thanks,” she mumbled.

“T-Thanks,” I muttered but I’m sure she wasn’t able to hear it.