Winter Ball: A Disaster

Wishing Upon A Flower

 

First Snow First Kiss by Yoseob ft. Drama (I found a hard time picking a song for this chapter :)))

 


Chapter 57 – Winter Ball: A Disaster

The following week came and passed. The finals were also done and everybody was given the next whole day before the ball at night to prepare and get ready. Hyomi was hesitating to wear the dress she had picked out from her old wardrobe. It’s not that she haven’t worn it, actually, she has, on her last birthday with her parents but it will be the first for her to wear it in front of the people who’ll be going to the ball except for Baekhyun who was present during that time.

She was actually more than surprised to see that it was still looking new. Even though she had just worn it once, since it has been kept in the closet for too long, it should’ve been a little worn out. It was a dress picked by her mother that is why it was so special to her and another reason why she was hesitating to wear it. Suddenly, she heard a knock on her door and in came her aunt holding a box.

“I was looking around the mall last time and thought this fits you. I just hope I picked the right size,” she said chuckling, handing Hyomi the box. She was yet again surprised.

“Auntie, you shouldn’t have bothered to,” Hyomi said as she didn’t expect to receive a dress on the day of the ball itself.

“Why not? It’s your first winter ball here in Seoul,” she said in this tone of hers that was saying that she knows best. But it didn’t bother Hyomi. She was more than thankful.

She took the box with both hands before putting it down on her bed. She lifted the cover and there, a light blue dress lies. Her eyes glistened as she took it out, admiring it. It was beautiful but then, here comes her pessimistic side telling her that it wouldn’t look good on her. With a sigh, she put it down and smiled to her aunt.

“Thank you aunt,” she said. She was debating whether to say what she thought.

“Why? Don’t you like it?” Her aunt said.

“No, it’s not that,” she said flailing her arms around. “I like it but it might not fit me,” she said, sadness obvious to her voice.

“Aigoo. What are you saying? When they see you in this, I’m sure every one of them would adore you and remember dear that you look pretty in anything, like how unnie is,” her aunt said, smiling, remembering Hyomi’s mom who resembles her, a lot.

“Really, auntie?” Hyomi asked looking at the dress again and running her hand on it. Its soft fabric was so nice under her touch.

“Really. So, I’ll leave you to change. It’s on you if you’ll wear it or not. Call me if you need help,” she said and Hyomi nodded, with a smile before hugging her auntie.

“Thank you auntie,” she said and her aunt smiled, patting her back before they both let go.

“It’s nothing,” she said. “I’ll go now,” she said and left.

Once again, she looked at the dresses that were now laid out for her to choose. She stuck her lower lip out thinking before nodding and smiling. She grabbed one of the dresses and took one more look at the other dress before keeping it in her closet.

“Hwaiting!” She said, energizing herself before changing to the dress and calling her aunt for help for the make-up and hair.

On the other hand, Sehun was also getting ready. He fixed his tie to its place before checking himself at the body-length mirror. He fixed his hair in no particular way until he was contented on how it looked. He smiled to himself before grabbing his wallet, keys, and lastly his stylish jacket.

The other EXO members were doing the same. Baekhyun was in his room making final touches to his hair that looked so handsome on him before smiling.

“Looking so handsome like always,” Baekhyun said to himself before getting the things he needed and headed out to the living room to wait for Hyomi who was also almost done. Baekhyun had told Sehun to just wait in the venue through message.

“But why?!” He replied.

“Just because,” Baekhyun said. He didn’t receive a reply later so he assumed that Sehun had finally given in and just listened. Baekhyun thought that it was better for Sehun to see Hyomi there just because he thought there’s more effect to it; Hyomi walking in the large doors of the venue which is a hall in a five star hotel. It’s just like walking to the aisle for a wedding.

“Are you ready, Baekhyun?” Her mom called from the second floor.

“Neh. I’m already down here,” Baekhyun said. Just then, as he turned to the staircase, his eyes widened to see Hyomi in a simple light blue dress but looked dazzling in it.

“If I wasn’t your cousin, I would definitely ask you out, dongsaeng,” he joked. Hyomi smacked him by the arm.

“These heels though are killing me,” she said struggling to walk steady on the heels. She never liked heels. Never.

“I’m sure you could get through the night,” Baekhyun smiled and Hyomi smiled back, appreciating his words of encouragement.

“Ok. Enough of that kids. I’ll drive you to the venue already,” Mrs. Byun said. She specially took the afternoon day-off just so she could assist Baekhyun and Hyomi for the ball.

Baekhyun held his arm out for Hyomi to take and with a chuckle Hyomi hooked her arm to him before they walked out the door to the car.

“I hope you don’t mind Sehun not picking you up,” Baekhyun said as they both sat inside the car.

“It’s okay. He’s probably busy too,” Hyomi said though she hoped Sehun would be there with her to the venue.

“Good. I don’t want to be left out, you know,” Baekhyun said and checked for Hyomi’s reaction who just stuck her tongue out.

“You might as well get yourself a girlfriend, oppa,” Hyomi said but quickly take her words back. “But if you did you’ll spend more time with her right?” Hyomi said and Baekhyun nodded.

“Of course,” he said.

“Then nevermind,” Hyomi said and they both laughed, as well as Mrs. Byun who listened to them from the front seat.

BAP was also getting ready and were on their way to the venue. Wearing tuxedos, except for Zelo who wore something more of his age, and sporting a neat hairstyle, they all went off to the reception except for one. Daehyun.

He lazily played basketball at their area’s park. It was just two hours to the ball but he was there, sweating and playing by himself. Getting tired after an hour of playing, he breathes hard as he caught the ball after whooping it one more time to the basket and checked his wrist watch for the time.

“Two more hours,” he said to himself before wiping his sweat. He was still debating with himself whether to go or not because for one, he doesn’t have anything to wear and two, he doesn’t know how he’ll act when he sees Hyomi all lovey-dovey with her boyfriend dancing on the dance floor. The latter actually affected him more.

Walking back to his house, he checked his phone and saw the messages of the other boys asking if he was ready and what time he was coming. When he was supposed to reply them with ‘I might not be able to come’, his mom called him. He looked up to see his mom by the door.

“Aigoo, this kid, why didn’t you tell me?” His mom said as he reached their front porch.

“About what?” He asked as he went in their front yard.

“The ball! You didn’t tell me you’ll be coming. I should’ve bought you something to wear,” his mom said.

“What? No. I’ll not be coming,” he said surprised.

“But why? Your friend went by and left me a paper bag. I don’t know what it is but he said that he’ll be expecting you later,” his mom said and without other questions did he go in followed by his mom. “Here,” his mom said getting the paper bag and handing it to him. He got it and looked inside.

His eyes squinted at the clothes. He was surprised to see the clothes he had looked at a few days ago. Lying on top of it was a folded paper. He didn’t bother to read it first and said to his mom that he’ll just be in his room. He ran up to his room and locked the door as soon as he got in. He sat on his bed and brought the paper out. He unfolded it and began reading it.

Yah, babo-ya, don’t even think of not going, aratji? If I don’t see you, you’ll get it. Don’t worry about the money. Just pay me with you attending and doing what’s supposed to do. – Visual hyung

A smile reached his lips.

“Himchan hyung, you’re really a silly hyung,” he thought before he put the note aside and looked in the paper bag again. Bringing it out and touching it felt nice to him. He checked his wrist watch and was surprised as he saw that he only have an hour and a half to get ready. Even though he appreciates what Himchan just did although he doesn’t know how on earth Himchan knew he liked those pair for clothes, he was still thinking whether to go or not.

Sighing, he nods his head, finally coming up with a decision.

Luhan’s POV

We were all inside the venue, except for one person who had been missing since ten minutes after he came, and was just waiting for Baekhyun and Hyomi to come. We were all settled around a round table designed to match the theme. I checked my watched and saw that it was just half an hour before the event starts.

“What’s taking them long?” Sehun said and I laughed. He sure looks too eager to see her.

“Yah, Hun, have you found the guy you’re looking for?” I asked. He turned to me and as if he was thinking, he just stared at me before shaking his head.

“I haven’t,” he said.

“Are you even looking for him?” I asked.

“Of course I am,” he said.

“Then isn’t it a bit too long. If you hired a good investigator then that would be most likely be fast,” I said.

“We have found some information but we’re still confirming it,” he said and I nodded.

“Have you seen the guy already? You know the one you think is the guy you’re looking for?” I asked and he shook his head.

“No, not yet,” he said before sipping on his drink. “Let’s just have fun for tonight, hyung,” Sehun said and I rolled my eyes.

“Fine,” I said.

“Damn. Is that her?” Chanyeol said and we all diverted to the door and my eyes rounded.

Hyomi had just entered with her arms hooked with Baekhyun’s and she really looked shy as she just stared down. I looked at Sehun who in no surprise was gone and when I turned to look at Hyomi again, there he was, standing timid as if his knees were going jelly.

I laughed and Kris, who sat next to me rolled his eyes, laughing with me as well.

“Love struck,” he said. I laughed at his comment watching the lover boy took his girlfriend’s hand and head our way.

As soon as they reached our table, we greeted them and Sehun offered his seat to her so she sat between Sehun and I.

“You look dazzling in that dress, Hyomi,” I said, smiling.

“Thanks,” Hyomi said, blushing. I chuckled at her cuteness. I noticed her looking around the hall and I knew she was looking for her best friend.

“Notice someone missing around the table?” I asked and she turned to me confused before looking around the table.

“Who…” She said and a smile spread across her lips maybe upon realizing who was missing.

“Most likely,” I said, shrugging and she smiled, nodding.

Himchan’s POV

We had settled on our table and were almost complete if not for Daehyun. There are just minutes before the event starts. Really, if he doesn’t come, I swear I’ll ask him to pay for those clothes. We were all looking at the door as if waiting for someone very special to come. But actually, we are.

“Where’s she?” I heard Jongup said.

Where is she, I also had that in mind. I actually searched for her first before searching for Daehyun as soon as I came but she was nowhere in sight. I actually don’t know whether she’ll come. I asked her to be my date but she said that she already have so better luck next time although I wonder who is the lucky guy who asked her first. Wait. Is there even next time? I’ll be graduating for goodness sake.

“Whoah,” I heard Jongup and Zelo said and I snapped out of my trance and noticed Hyomi entering the hall with Baekhyun.

“She…looks beautiful,” Jongup said eyes twinkling.

“Noona neomu yeppeo,” Zelo said. I looked at them and stifled a laugh at their reactions. But after a few seconds I noticed their face fell. I looked back at Hyomi and saw her walking with Sehun to their table. I felt bad for them but as if I could do anything than to join their league of no-dates.

“There are other girls, dongsaengs,” I said patting Zelo who sat nearest to me.

“But there’s no other girl like her,” Jongup muttered, sighing. I shook my head. I can’t blame them though. Who wouldn’t fall for a girl like her? She almost has everything.

The event started but Daehyun hadn’t come yet and I swear when I see him, he’ll feel my wrath.

Hyomi’s POV

The event started but I didn’t see Ah Neul neither Kai around. Don’t tell me they’re already dating though I have nothing against it. But it’s cute. I’ll surely treat Ahneul when she gets together with Kai tonight. The host said a few words before he officially started the event. Students started dancing on the dance floor depending on the song playing. Some went to get food and so on. I just sat on my seat listening and sometimes joining EXO oppas’ conversation. They didn’t dance when it’s a dance that requires a partner but when it’s an upbeat song, they join in the dance floor and dance.

Suddenly after around three songs, the first slow song for the night played and some had stepped out the dance floor while others got their partners and danced. I smiled seeing the smile on the girls’ faces. Suddenly I heard some shuffling sounds beside me and when I looked up, I saw Sehun, hands reached out.

“May I have this dance?” He asked and I smiled nodding. I took his hand and the other oppas on the table hollered making me blush. I don’t know whether I should be embarrassed or not. Once we were in the dance floor, he took my hand and placed it on his shoulder while he placed his hands on my waist.

“Hyomi,” he said and I looked up at him.

“Uhm?” I asked.

“When did you start liking me?” He asked.

“W-What?” I asked surprised.

“I’m just curious. Because if you ask me,” he said looking at my eyes. “I’ve liked you for so long,” he said.

“Really? When?” I asked curious.

“A very long time ago. Let me think. Uhm… Since I met you?” He said and my eyes widened.

“Are you serious? You even looked as if you hated me,” I said remembering the time when we first met and didn’t get along fast.

“It’s because… Why again?” he asked and I laughed.

“I don’t know. I just remember that I was teasing you with Baekhyun oppa with a bug and you tripped, injuring yourself,” I said and laughed at the memory.

“You were so mean back then,” he said pouting.

“Yah. It’s not my fault I didn’t know you hate bugs ok?” I said. His pout turned into a smile.

“I know. Ok. That’s the past,” he said. I nodded. “My question is still left unanswered,” He said and I puffed my cheeks.

“I really don’t know,” I said.

“Hey. Not fair!” He said.

“Ok ok. Wait. Maybe the same as you but I didn’t realize it ‘til you left the first time you came,” I said. He nodded like how I did when he told me.

“But did you realize I liked you back then? You know…that…kiss?” He said and I could imagine myself blushing remembering the memory.

It was the day he’ll be leaving. It wasn’t even a day after my parents were buried so basically, it was one of my worst but then he came, saying he needs to go. I wanted to cry so much that time but held myself back as I didn’t want him to disobey his parents just because of me.

Hugging him, I didn’t know my tears had fallen, disobeying me. Although my tears did fall, he wiped it and told me he’ll be coming back but this sentence came next unattended.

“But if you want, I could always ask my parents to bring you with us. I know they wouldn’t mind since your parents and my parents are friends. Also, they treat you as their daughter as well,” he said filling my eyes with tears again.

I declined that offer because I didn’t want to be a burden to them so I sent him away like that but I didn’t expect for him to leave a lingering feelings on my lips, a feeling I was so familiar until now.

And that’s how I had my first kiss and our first kiss basically.

“I don’t know… I thought you were just… Hey. Why enter that topic?” I said as I didn’t know what else to say next. He chuckled.

“Araso,” he said and just like that, he came up with another question. “So… Did you like any other guys while I was gone?” He asked and I thought for a while when Daehyun’s face appeared. Sht. What was that? “Hyomi?”

“Of course none. Besides, it was just a few months and I transferred here immediately after you left,” I said.

“Right. Just wondering though since there are so many other handsome hyungs and…BAP,” he said. I looked at his expression and chuckled as it turned sour in the mention of BAP.

“Yah. Are you still mad at them?” I asked.

“No. It’s just that…they’re so close to you. I know the hyungs won’t hit on you even though you guys are so close but with BAP, I don’t know them that well,” he said.

“Then trust me. They’re just my friends, best friends,” I said.

“Best friends… Have you heard of the saying a guy and a girl can never be best friends because it’s either one of them or both of them will fall in love with each other?” He said.

“Like us?” I said as I remembered how we became best friends although each of us knew we meant more than that but didn’t want to say it before.

“Uhm… Yeah, like that,” he said.

“If you’re worrying about that, I doubt since those guys are too in love with their passion and if ever they like me, I couldn’t return it because you know who I love, right?” I said, looking at his eyes.

“Ok. Ok. Sorry if you think I’m doubting you but you know I love you so much, right?” He said and I nodded, smiling.

“Yeah. I understand,” I said.

“You never know how long I’ve been trying to confess to you but didn’t get the courage to until your birthday this year,” he said and I smiled.

“Yeah. Ok. Got it,” I said, chuckling.  

Just then, the song changed and as soon as it did someone patted his shoulder and we stopped to see Suho oppa.

“May I have the next dance?” He asked and Sehun smiled, nodding. Although it was really tiring to dance in high heels, I still appreciate them asking me to dance.

“So, how’s it going? I knew something was up just a week ago. Is it already ok?” He asked and I nodded, smiling.

“Yeah. It was just some misunderstanding,” I said and he nodded not asking any more about it. That was also something I like about him. He doesn’t meddle in others business as long as he knows it’s already ok. We just chatted after that about random things.

He told me he was happy to have me in their group and I said I was also happy to having met them. He told me about how Sehun talks about me almost every time when he’s with them and how they actually got pissed at me because I always get most of his time although he was there with them. We danced for the full song until it changed and a person stood beside us.

“May I have this dance?” It was Yongguk oppa, smiling. I chuckled. It was cute and I don’t even know why. Suho smiled and handed my hand to him.

We started swaying to the song and was quiet for most of the time. Maybe it’s because neither of us knows what to say. I tried looking around to see if Ahneul was already there and I was right. There she was. Entering the hall in a white dress that looked elegant on her, hair tied up beautifully, her face looked flushed from my distance. I wonder what happened. Just then, Kai came, wearing a tuxedo like the other EXO oppas, his hair messily styled but even so, it looked so good in him. I wonder what’s up with them.

“How are you doing?” Yongguk oppa asked breaking the ice.

“I’m doing good. How about you, oppa?” I asked.

“Same although I missed those days when you hang out with us but I understand,” he smiled.

“Sorry. I’ll surely make some time to hang-out with you guys,” I said.

“I’ll wait for that,” he said. I smiled, nodding. Just then, this question I’ve been wanting to ask appear in my mind again and I kept on glancing at him, thinking whether I should ask or not. “Say it,” he said, looking at me, chuckling. I pinked. So he noticed.

“I just wonder. What is the reason why you guys got mad at me?” I asked, hoping to receive an honest answer although I’m not forcing him to tell me if he really can’t,

“That…” He said as if thinking whether or not he should say it. “I’m really sure if I could tell it but I just want you to know that I wasn’t mad at you that time. It’s just that them…yeah… I’m sure they’ll tell you at the right time so don’t worry,” he smiled and I just resided with that. I know asking for more might just irritate him. I nodded and smiled.

We danced more before we both decided to go back and sit to eat. While lining up, I was slightly pushed and I turned to see the queenkas.

“Having fun, ?” One of them said. I just didn’t answer and continued forward to get food. “So you dare ignore me now, huh? Do you think we’ll be afraid just because Daehyun oppa said so?” She retorted.

“What did you say?” I asked, surprised.

“So you don’t know?” She smirked. “Well, he just said that if he finds out that we’re the one who hurt you, he’ll never forgive us,” she said, grimacing. I gulped. He did that? What got into him that he did that? I heaved in before I turned to get food again.

“Yah, we’re not done yet,” she said yanking my arm.

“I don’t have time,” I said pulling my arm away. When I thought they had let me go, I tripped and the food spilled on the floor. My ankle twisted and I could feel the pain struck me. They all laughed at me and I felt so embarrassed so I scrambled up to my feet before running out, enduring the pain I felt.

I heard my name being called but I didn’t bother and just ran. I bit my lip to the point that I’m already hurting so much. I then felt something wet drop on my hand and that’s when I realized that I was already crying. I stopped to remove my heels before deciding to just walk since I think, I’ve gone too far. I don’t even know where I am already.

Suddenly, I felt a hand on my shoulder and I froze. Please. I’ve had enough in the ball, please.

“Dimwit,” the voice said making me whip to look around and there stood Daehyun on a simple yet gorgeous outfit. 


HI! So I'm back! How's this chapter? Is it ugly? lame? not worth reading? I really tried thinking of how to make the ball interesting. Sorry if the main wasn't able to dance all of them. What about some other time? Teehee. Please wait for my next update! What do you think would happen with their meeting? :)