To The Market

Wishing Upon A Flower

Sunshine Girl by FT Island


Chapter 20 – To The Market

Hyomi entered the kitchen and all her oppas turned to her. Suho gave her a warm smile while the others just stared at her. She’s not surprised because only Suho knows about the reason besides Jongup and Ah Neul. She lowered her head as she approached them.

“O-Oppas, so-sorry.” She stuttered and with that one word, they softened. A round of sighs were heard inside the kitchen until Luhan approached Hyomi.

“Do you think we can get mad at you?” He said and Hyomi looked up, blinking.

“Y-Yes? I mean, I know I’m wrong so I’ll not be surprised if you’re mad.” Hyomi said. The others let out a soft chuckle.

“You know what? You think more mature than we do. Are you even our dongsaeng?” Kris said ruffling her hair leaving Hyomi confused.

“What?” She asked.

“You’re right. We should’ve fixed it a long time ago but we’re too prideful that no one dared to put an end to the useless fight. Right, Lay hyung?” Jongdae said and that’s when Hyomi gazed at Lay who sighed and looked away.

“I’ll try.” He said. A small smile crept to Hyomi’s lips as she hugged Lay who was taken aback.

“Why you! You’re so lucky you got hugged by her!” Tao said and everyone laughed. Lay just smiled as he patted Hyomi at the back.

“Thanks.” He said softly, enough for Hyomi to hear. She looked up at him and smiled.

“Ok! THAT’S ENOUGH!” Chanyeol said pulling Hyomi away from Lay. “That’s getting too long already. I’m getting jealous.” He said and they laughed.

“Thank you oppas.” Hyomi said and they smlied at her while Baekhyun sighed. Now, he’s so uneasy but for Hyomi, for his friends and for the sake of this vacation, he should forget about his fear and enjoy the four days.

Hyomi’s POV

We happily worked at the kitchen. We took out some pans out the cupboard and some started washing it while some gathered by the counter to think of what to cook.

“How's Kimchi Stew? And some jjajangmyun?” Kyungsoo oppa suggested.

“Uhm,”

“How about BAP? We should consider what their preference is.” Minseok oppa said and the others stiffened for a moment.

“I’ll ask them.” Ah Neul said standing up.

“Thanks Ah Neul.” Minseok oppa said. Ah Neul nodded and walked up.

“Hyomi,” Luhan oppa said as we waited for Ah Neul to come back.

“Uhm?” I asked.

“That white-masked boy, does he hold something against you?” He asked making me surprised. I just shrugged.

“We just don’t get along well. Our attitudes, uhm, it clashes?” I said and let out a soft chuckle. “But it’s nothing. I’m used to it.” I said but he pouted.

“If that guy does anything to you, tell me, ok?” He said and I nodded.

“I’m sure he wouldn’t.” I said and I didn’t even know why I said that.

“How could you say so?” Baekhyun oppa said approaching us after finishing what he was doing.

“Just because? I don’t know. I’m sure they’re not bad guys even though that guy’s attitude is rough.” I said and they laughed.

“Right. What are we going to do with you two?” Kris oppa said as he pointed at me and Baekhyun oppa. Sht. I almost forgot.

“They should continue pretending then.” Kai oppa said. My shoulders deflated.

“Can’t we tell them?” I asked and they looked at each other.

“We did it so they would distant themselves with you, not just the other students in school who looks as if they want to straggle you.” Kyungsoo oppa said as he plopped a grape in his mouth.

“But they’re not doing anything. Jongup’s also my bestfriend. I don’t think they’ll hurt me.” I said. It fell silent before Suho oppa spoke.

“Let’s decide when the day’s over. We should know them a little more.” He said and I nodded smiling. That’s better than not at all. Everybody agreed except for one person. Baekhyun oppa. I looked at him and he was avoiding my gaze. Here we go again. Until now he won’t tell me why and I don’t think that what Kyungsoo oppa said is also his reason.

“Baekhyun oppa?” I said and he sighed.

“Fine. As if I could say no?” He said and I faintly smiled. I went to him and hugged him. Upon my embrace, I felt his body ease down.

“Komawo.” I said and I felt him hugging me back. We pulled back when we heard someone enter the kitchen. I was surprised to see the red-masked boy and Jongup with Ah Neul. I slightly bowed to their leader since I’m sure he’s my senior and I’m not close to him yet.

“We would like to help.” He said making me smile. EXO oppas looked at each other and I looked at them with pleading look.

“Step one?” I mouthed to them and they smiled.

“Sure.” Suho oppa said. The leader’s eyes broke into a small eyesmile as he nodded and I felt happy. We’ll do it step by step and this is just step one. We were quite many in the kitchen but the area accomodated all of us and the more we are, the more ideas of what to eat were suggested.

Later after, the yellow and blue-masked boy came in the kitchen. They made a short bow.

“We would like to help.” The yellow-masked boy said. Jongup and their leader turned to them surprised but the EXO oppas welcomed them. Lay oppa don’t hold something strong against them maybe that’s why it was fine. They were also asked for some suggestions until we were decided. Kimchi stew, bulggogi, and jjajangmyun since many wants to eat some.

We checked the refrigirator and the cupboards for the ingredients but it was empty, like what I thought.

“Ok. Some would have to buy the ingredients.” Minseok oppa said.

“I’ll do it!” I said raising my hand. “I know the way around so I should do it.” I said.

“I’ll just come with her.” Ah Neul said and small smile crept up to my lips. 

"Someone should come with you two." Kyungsoo oppa said.

"We'll decide about it after listing the ingredients." Suho oppa said. Everyone agreed and started listing the ingredients down a paper.

“Minseok oppa,” I said with my low voice as I leaned near to him while the other guys were busy listing the ingredients down.

“Uh?” He asked.

“Can I ask Kai oppa to come with us?” I said and he gave me a queer look.

“Why him?” He asked.

“Just so?” I said and he shrugged.

“Ok. If you say so.” He said and went near Kai oppa. I had a small smile plastered on my face as I approached Jongup.

“Jongup,” I said. He turned to me.

“What? Your boyfriend might—“

“Can you come with us in the market?” I asked and his eyes widened.

“Why me?” He asked.

“Just say yes.” I said and he gave me a skeptical look.

“Tell me why first.” He said. I groaned as I leaned to his ear.

“A sorry gift?” I stepped back and he raised an eyebrow at me. “Stop asking so much, ok? If you don’t want then I’ll ask Baekhyun oppa to come with us.” I said as I stepped away but he held my wrist, pulling a grin on my face. “So it’s a yes?” I said and he nodded. I smiled and nodded.

We waited for them to finish listing all the ingredients on the paper before we left. I told them I’m dragging Jongup with us so that Kai wouldn’t be left out.

“Be back fast ok?! We’re hungry!” Tao oppa shouted.

“Neh oppa!” I shouted and we walked out the gates. As soon as we stepped out Ah Neul eyed me.

“What’s this?” She whispered to me. I smiled back shrugging.

“The market’s this way. Let’s go?” I said and they nodded. We walked with Kai and Jongup trailing behind us.

“Your going to get it Hyomi.” She whispered to me.

“I’m just trying to help. Aish. Kai oppa’s a nice person. You’ll get a long well.” I said patting her on the shoulder. She sighed. She doesn't have much of choice, anyway.

Soon, we reached the market full of people shopping as well. I turned around to Jongup and Kai oppa.

“Kai oppa,” I said and he shifted his gaze to me. “Let’s split up to two groups so we could finish fast.” I said and he looked at me surprised.

“And I’m going with?” Kai asked. I smiled and turned to Ah Neul.

“I hope it’s ok if you’re going with Ah Neul?” I said.

“Hyomi,” Ah Neul who's beside me said. “Kai-ssi might not feel comfortable neither will I. Let’s just go together.” Ah Neul said and I pouted.

“It’s ok.” Kai said walking beside Ah Neul.

“Chincha?! GOMAWO! We’ll go now!” I said grabbing Jongup’s arm and ran away.

“HYOMI!” I heard Ah Neul shout but I just ignored her and smiled in content.

Ah Neul’s POV

“HYOMI!” I shouted but she didn’t look back. I bit my lower lip as I felt my cheeks burn from embarrassment.

“Let’s go before the guys at home die from hunger.” Kai said as he started walking. I puffed my cheeks as I followed behind him. Hyomi, I swear, you’re gonna get it. I was looking down all the while and was surprised when suddenly, I bumped into someone. I looked up to find Kai looking down at me.

“Are you ok?” He asked.

“S-Sorry. I wasn’t looking.” I said and he nodded and looked at the kimchi stall.

“We need kimchi, right?” He asked and I nodded. “Are you scared of me?” He chuckled and I felt my cheeks turn warmer.

“H-Huh? Of course not. I’m not just used but yeah, don’t mind me.” I said biting my lower lip and he shrugged.

“Should we get this?” He asked looking at the variety of kimchi.

“Oh, young man and lady, that one is good!” The ahjumma said and we looked at her. “Do you want to taste it?” She asked and we smiled.

“We would love to ahjumma!” I smiled. She smiled back and got some from the container and shove some in my mouth before she did to Kai. Omo. This is sure delicious. I turned to Kai just in time when he also did.

“Mada!” We both said.

“We’ll take some, ahjumma.” Kai said and I nodded in agreement. The ahjumma smiled as she got our order. After, she punched some numbers on the calculator before she turned to us.

“Here. It’s two thousand won but I’ll make it one thousand won since you two made me happy.” She said and our eyes widened.

“Made you happy? Why, ahjumma?” I asked out of curiosity.

“I remember my love life with you two.” She said making me choke on my own spit.

“B-Bwoh?” I said. I turned to Kai and he was as surprised as I am but he was just looking away and I think he’s blushing? I don’t know. “We’re not lovers, ahjumma. We’re barely friends?” I said but it went out like a question.

“Ah, ye, ahjumma. We’re just like that.” Kai said. The ahjumma smiled making me freak inside.

“It doesn’t matter. You two look good together. So here’s your kimchi. Enjoy!” She said and Kai handed her the payment. We bowed to her before we left for another stall. I stared to distance while walking. I felt so embarrassed a while ago. I hope what that ahjumma said is true. Omo. What did I just say? Pabo.

“What are the other things we need?” Kai asked snapping me out of my thoughts.

“I don’t know.” I replied and he stopped looking at me making me blink at him in surprise.

“You don’t have the list?” He asked and I shook my head.

“It’s with Hyomi.” And that brought me back to relality. That girl! “Wait. I’ll give her a call.” I said as I grabbed my phone and called her.

Hyo Mi’s POV

I walked away with Jongup and as soon as we got far, I slowed my pace. I looked around. It’s been a while since I went here. I usually go here with friends whenever we decide to have a picnic and cook food for ourselves and well, for school activities concerning food.

“What did you just do?” Jongup asked and I turned to him. I smirked.

“Are you naïve?” I asked and his eye narrowed to me. “Aish.” I shook my head as I looked at some stalls.

“Wait. Ah Neul, he likes Kai?” He asked and I nodded.

“Exactly!” I replied and he made sounds as if he couldn’t believe it. “Why? Are you jealous?” I asked and he frantically shook his head.

“I don’t like her more than friends.” He said making me chuckle.

“Then who?” I asked in a teasing manner.

“Why would you want to know?” He asked.

“Because I’m your best friend?” I said shrugging.

“It doesn’t matter. Why’d you drag me with you anyway?” He asked.

“Because I want to spend time with you.” I said as I continued to walk. When I felt no presence beside me, I turned and found Jongup a meter behind me. I raised an eyebrow at him. “What are you doing there?” I asked. He snapped out of his trance and ran to my side.

“What do you mean by that?” He asked.

“Mean what?” I asked.

“What you said.” He said.

“Oh. Aren’t you mad with me? I just want to make it up to you since when we’re together with the other oppas, we would most likely be guarded but it’s not like we’ll do something you know.” I said then shrugged.

“That’s so far from what you said Yoo Hyomi.” He said bluntly.

“I mean it! We’re supposed to come together with your friends but we ended up going with EXO oppas as well. Well, you know the bonding thing within bestfriends? I think it’ll be a little hard with oppas around. Well Baekhyun oppa’s there.” I said and he slowly nodded.

“You should’ve said so.” He said and I chuckled.

“Why? What did you think? As in romantic way?” I teased as I laughed. We're bestfriends afterall.

“No!” He said. I just laughed.

“Of course I know. We’re bestfriends, afterall. Let’s go. We need to hurry and go back.” I said as he grabbed his arm and pull him to a stall.

Jongup’s POV

I followed her to where she’s going and somehow, I felt happy because at least, she wanted to spend time with me. It’ll be better if we could go with the other guys but I like it this way too. Honestly speaking, I thought she meant it in the romantic way and when she said no, I felt kind of disappointed for some reason that I don’t want to awknowledge already. It’s not important anyway.

“Jongup, let’s go eat there. They sell delicious ddukbokki.” She said as she walked to a food stall. “Try it,” she said sticking a ddukbokki on a stick and feeding me it. It was awkward but I still opened my mouth and ate it. It was sure delicious. “How’s it?” She asked wriggling her eyebrows.

“It’s good.” I said smiling. She smiled back and ordered two for the two of us paying what she fed to me too.

“Let’s take a little break.” She said as she walked out the market and we sat by the fountain. “How’s it so far?” She asked.

“It’s fun. This place is sure beautiful.” I said and she smiled.

“I’m so sorry for disappointing you Jongup.” She said.

“It’s ok. Our groups are getting along somehow anyway.” I said and she smiled.

“I hope everything would be ok by the time this vacation ends.” She said and I nodded.

“I hope so I could also freely go out with you.” I said and she softly hit me on the shoulder.

“What do you mean by that?” She asked.

“What do you think do I mean?” I said and her eyes furrowed. I laughed as I flick her forehead. “It’s not important so stop thinking about it.” She rubbed the part I flicked and glared at me. I grinned at her. “Are you done? We should get going.” I said and she nodded.

“Wait. I’ll call Ah Neul and check if they’re done.” She said and I just nodded. I waited for her to finish the call before we continued buying the ingredients. “They’re almost done. Let’s buy the remaining ingredients and we’ll meet them where we separated a while ago.” She said.

We continued to buy the ingredients. Times like these already make me happy. Just spending time with your bestfriend who doesn’t treat you like a kingka when others think you’re an eyecandy is one of my happiest moments. I hope I could finally be with her without this mask though because I want to hear from her that she's happy to have a friend like me.

We met with Kai and Ah Neul a few minutes later and we went back to the house with hungry people whining what took us long. Well, we had so much fun together that we can’t help it.


Sorry for the boring chapter! I'll update later if I can!

Oh! Thank you for the continuous support! ILOVEYOU!