A Song

Wishing Upon A Flower

Only One by BoA


Chapter 55 – A Song

Baekhyun’s POV

“Hyomi-ah, hurry up or we’ll be late!” I called as I wore my shoes by the door.

“Sorry. I’m coming,” she said before I heard footsteps running down the stairs. I combed my fridge with my fingers before she finally appeared. She wore her shoes before we were finally out the door.

“What took you so long?” I asked as tucked my hands in my jacket’s pockets. It was sure getting colder and colder as days went by but still, it’s not raining snow.

“Uhm…” I heard her mumble so I turned to her and noticed the dark circles around her eyes which, I’m sure, weren’t there the day before. Did she stay up so late last night or maybe she didn’t sleep?

“What’s up with panda eyes? Trying Tao’s charm?” I asked with slight teasing. But she didn’t show any reaction of irritation as she just yawned and shook her head. Maybe she’s really tired but why?

“I kind of stayed late last night. Insomnia, I guess,” she muttered. I knocked her head and she turned to me, rubbing the part I knocked. “Yah! What’s that for?” She whined.

“Stop joking around ok? When did you ever get insomnia? As far as I could remember, it’s only Luhan hyung who experience insomnia out of us, including you,” I snickered and she scoffed.

“Right,” she said still rubbing the part I knocked on before she smooth out her hair. We continued to walk to the bus stop and came in time when our bus came. We got in and park ourselves at the second to the last row where it’s the only available seats.

It was unusually quiet as she kept on yawning and it got me really curious. Honestly, I’ve been noticing how Sehun and Hyomi treated each other yesterday and this morning made me assume my thoughts are right as Sehun didn’t come to go to school with us when he usual do. Of course, what else could be happening than them fighting? The first fight so far since they got together. I didn’t want to snoop on her privacy so I just chose to keep quiet for a while. But when I know it’s getting too long, I’m afraid I would’ve to step out and help them fix everything.

I knew it. This dongsaeng of mine knows nothing and having her first ever quarrel with her very first boyfriend seemed to affect her more than I think she would. Not like I’m experienced. I just read and watched a couple of romance stories and dramas to know about this kind of things.

Kai’s POV

I walked through the corridors to my room on the next corner when I saw a very familiar figure standing in front of her locker, unlocking it. Our small time together yesterday suddenly came to my mind and my heart made a jump, unexpectedly. I shrugged it off thinking that I should at least say hi but wouldn’t it look as if I’m trying to get her attention or that I…like her? But didn’t she say, maybe not directly, that it’s difficult for both of us to be seen talking together? But yet, it’s not like we’re not friends, right?

I sighed making a decision of just walking by her and wait if she would notice me and at least say a hi or give me a smile but before I could ever take my third step, Kyungsoo hyung came, creeping behind her, before he covered her eyes. I cringed. When did they get this close? Urgh. Whatever. It’s not like I’m in the position to get mad.

I stood there, watching as Ahneul jumped a little from surprise before she reached for hyung’s hand while hyung asked her who he was but I doubt Ahneul won’t be able to recognize him. It took around ten seconds before he finally removed his hands and Ahneul snickered at him. I suddenly felt hurt not because I see them this close but more on how she conversed with him freely unlike when we talked yesterday. With a heavy heart, I turned around although I know I’ll be going the wrong way but was surprised to bump into someone.

“Sorry,” I slightly bowed and stepped aside to continue walking when that person who I didn’t even bother looking at held my shoulder, stopping me. I looked up and was surprised. It was Suho hyung.

“Are you okay?” He asked and I slightly nodded, trying to stop myself to glance back. “Oh, isn’t that Kyungsoo?” He said and I pretended as if I didn’t know he was there and also turned back.

“Kyungsoo!” Both of them turned and Suho hyung approached them leaving me reluctant on whether to follow him or not. It was not until Ahneul and Kyungsoo hyung noticed me that I decided to approach them. While Ahneul politely greeted him with a bow that Suho hyung stopped and told her that she didn’t need to, I stood there, awkward.

“Why are you so tensed?” Kyungsoo hyung asked giving me tap on the shoulder surprising me. “Are you alright?” He asked. My eyes glanced towards Ahneul even though I tried not to before diverting my attention back to them and convinced them with a nod.

“I’m fine. What made you think I’m not?” I said.

“Oh, if you say so,” Kyungsoo hyung said before he turned to Ahneul.

“So I need to go. See you around?” He said and Ahneul smiled, nodding.

“Neh,” she replied and Kyungsoo hyung ruffled her hair making my stomach violently turn before Suho hyung tapped me and told me to go to my class already. I nodded as both of them walked away and before I followed them, I made sure I looked at Ahneul who stared back at me for a few seconds before she slightly bowed and walked away, hugging her books to her chest.

With a feeling unknown to me, I sighed and walked to my room before the school bell rang.

Ahneul’s POV

I felt my heart beating fast as our eyes met so I decided to take my leave. I don’t know how long I could stand there just looking at his eyes. I couldn’t even feel easy whenever I’m with him like yesterday although somehow, I got to adjust to him. I looked around, pushing my eyeglasses up to check if anyone caught our little interaction there and sighed in relief to see that no one noticed.

I walked back to my room and saw Hyomi with her head down on her desk while Jongup lurked around her, as if he wouldn’t stop unless he gets what he wants. I rolled my eyes before I walked over to my seat and heard Jongup whining.

“Did you two fought? What happened?” He kept on asking. I purposely dropped my books on my desk to get his attention. Both of them shot up to look at me and I grinned at Hyomi who looks so sleepy while I raised an eyebrow at Jongup. I noticed how Hyomi looked so tired and I wondered if it’s because she couldn’t sleep thinking about Sehun and their some sort of quarrel, last night.

“What do you think are you doing?” I said, giving Jongup a pointed look. He furrowed his eyebrows at me before he ignored me and turned to Hyomi again. I sighed and decided to whisper in his ears. “Stop it, okay? Hyomi looks so tired. If you don’t want your little secret to be known by her—“

“Ok, fine. Pft,” he said going to his seat but his eyes never left Hyomi’s back watching her intently with worry and concern in his eyes.

Hyomi’s POV

I kept myself awake through the class although I can’t seem to understand anything the teacher kept on saying. I kept on yawning and just taking down notes. I rub my eyes once in a while to keep me awake and was relieved when class ended and we’re off to break. I stretched before I gathered my things and kept it away.

I sighed remembering that Sehun and I haven’t been talking to each other since noon yesterday and that maybe is a sign that we also won’t be eating together this break. I got up from my seat and walked to the door, forgetting that Ahneul and Jongup were there. I turned back and slightly bowed to them before I walked off. I’m really not in the mood right now. My body feels so weak that I just want to lie on my bed. My eyes are also on the verge of closing as it felt so sore. I glanced up the stairs that leads to the next floor until an idea popped in my mind.

“Maybe I could take a nap in that dance room,” I thought to myself before I hurriedly went off there, being careful for others not to see me.

As soon as I got there, I walked to one of the doors that have a sign of ‘Dance Rehearsal Room’. I carefully pushed the door open before a small smile drew on my lips. No one’s here. Thank goodness. I walked to my usual spot and sat there, leaning on wall while hugging my knees.

“Finally,” I said as I sighed as my body relaxed a bit. I rested my head on my knees and let out a loud sigh. Even though I felt peace in that abandoned dance rehearsal room as well as scared, I can’t help but to think about what I did wrong to make Sehun treat me like that.

I kept on formulating different reasons in my head but it made no sense as I’m sure I didn’t do anything like it. It was not until I remembered the day I went out with BAP without saying it to Baekhyun oppa nor him.

“Could it be… No… It’s impossible… But what if…” I messed my hair in frustration until I heard a cracking sound. I shuddered in fear that there might be some ghost but shrugged it off as it was still so early for it. I looked around but found no one. I then heard another noise and turned to the door within the room which I didn’t bother before.

“It couldn’t possibly be a ghost right?” I muttered, shuddering with the thought.

“I-Is someone there?” I asked as I slowly walked to the door.

As I was just an arm away from the door, it suddenly opened making me stumble backwards and drop on the floor with a thud. I winced in pain only to hear coughs. I turned up to be surprise on who the guest was.

“W-What are you doing here?”

Sehun’s POV

I had walked to Hyomi’s classroom right after the bell for the break rang and we were let out. I didn’t know it was that hard to not talk to her for twenty-four hours straight. I also talked to Kai in our chill time yesterday and he told me that I should just tell her so everything would be okay. Also, he pointed out to me that I wasn’t even sure why she was with a guy I couldn’t make out who although the back view looked pretty familiar. I sighed when almost everyone was out except for some students. Luckily, Ahneul was just heading out.

“Ahneul,” I called and she looked up, surprised.

“Oh, Sehun-ssi, are you looking for Hyomi?” She said and I nodded. “She already left as soon as we were dismissed and that was like ten minutes ago,” she said.

“Oh, do you know where she went?” I asked and she shook her head with an apologetic smile.

“Sorry but she didn’t say a word,” she said and I nodded, muttering a thanks before leaving.

I thought of the possible places where she could’ve gone to and knowing her, she would prefer quiet places. I bit my lower lip as I wondered around until it came to my mind the rooftop. I dashed there and opened the door but no one was there. I sighed and left. The next place I went is the library. I looked all around the library but still, I found no sign of her. I decided to send a text to Kai to ask if Hyomi’s at the cafeteria but I received a ‘no’ as an answer. It made me grow more frustrated but can’t do anything.

“Where are you?” I mumbled to myself as I didn’t stop looking around. My cell phone vibrated again and I saw a text from Kai.

Try messaging or calling her – Kai

Right. How could I even forget that? I replied a ‘thanks’ before dialing Hyomi’s number. It only rang until the voicemail answered it. Darn. Is she that mad at me? I tried messaging her but received no reply. The bell rang and I cussed as I didn’t even know where Hyomi is. With a heavy heart, I went back to my classroom and class started but my mind wandered off.

Daehyun’s POV

Having been slept late last night because of some school works, I couldn’t afford to attend the first few classes and just decided to go to a place I usually spend time sleeping whenever I felt like doing so and if I want to have some peace and think by myself. Pushing the door open, I placed my bag down and leaned on the wall. I closed my eyes and let myself relax before I had drifted to sleep.

I was disturbed when I heard footsteps nearing the door. I was surprised as I didn’t know there are other people going here. Afraid that that person might catch me, I quickly ran to the door across the room which used to be a changing room.

I pressed my ear against the door as I listened to the person who had just entered my peaceful place. I heard some shuffling on the floor before it turned silent. Curious, I quietly opened the door just enough for me to peek out. I saw a girl with her head leaning on her knees. I squint my eyes only to notice that it was not just any other girl. It was Hyomi.

“What’s she doing here?” I wondered and continued to watch her. She didn’t move for a few minutes until she raised her head up, surprising me that I closed the door and to my luck, I hit the rack making some sounds and right then, dust flew around, making me sneeze and cough.

“I-Is someone there?” I heard her say but I just waved all the dust that was scattered around. As I couldn’t take the dust anymore, I pushed the door open and started coughing. “W-What are you doing here?”

I opened one eye while the other was just half-opened and coughed for a few more before I dusted myself and my bag.

“What are YOU doing here?” I asked as if it was mine. Well, for how many years, I haven’t seen anyone going in and out here, not until now.

“I didn’t know you’re here,” I heard her whisper.

“Then now you know?” I said and she rolled her eyes.

“I’ve no time for bickering right now,” she said before walking away, back to her position a while ago. It was quiet for a while until I decided to sit a meter away from her. I peeked to see her but leaned back when I saw her turn my direction. I cleared my throat to break the ice.

“When did you learn about this place?” I asked, curiously.

“On my first month stay here. I don’t know the exact date but it was when the oppas thought I was missing,” she muttered in a low voice. “You? Have you been going here for a long time?” I didn’t expect her to continue the conversation but somehow, I felt relieved.

“Quite. Around one year ago,” I answered as I date back to the time when things seemed to not work within the group because of the fights with EXO, the same time when I found this place. She nodded before it kept quiet again. She just stared blankly into distance and it made me bothered as she usually isn’t like this. “So what’s up? Why did you go here for?” I asked.

“Peace,” was simply her answer. Peace. That was also my reason why I go to this place. It was on the last floor and it was rare to see anyone going here.

“Why are you not with your boyfriend?” I asked and I noticed her stiffen. I cringed. Did they fight? Why hadn’t I noticed it yesterday morning? Wait. Right. He probably saw us last weekend. But, didn’t he recognize me? She didn’t answer and I didn’t bother to ask her more. It was quiet between both of us until she ducked her head on her arms.

“You’re good at singing right? Can you sing at least one song right now?” I was taken aback as I didn’t know she would be able to swallow her pride and ask something from me.

“Are you sure of that? You do know that we’re on a game right now, right?” I said and bit my lower lip as I know I’m just trying to lose my chance to somehow impress her.

“Yeah but it’s ok if you won’t,” she said in an almost whisper.

I hesitated, taking glances at her and saw how stressed she looked. Maybe problems had been stacking up and she already don’t know what way to go or what to do. I sighed. I haven’t sang for anyone for some time already but just once, just today.

“Okay. Just today since you look so down,” I said. I peeked to see her reaction but she just nodded and muttered a ‘thanks’. I quickly thought of a song. With her state right now, I think a little lively song would do. Clearing my throat and taking a glance at her, I started singing.

She said nothing all throughout and I just stared at the wall opposite from us as I sang. I sometimes peek to see what she was doing but still, she only had her head down on her arms. As I got to the of the song, I felt a weight on my shoulder. My heart and stomach did a little flip-flop at the sudden contact. My voice slowly became low until I reached the last line, staring at her. I blinked a couple of times.

Dugeun. Dugeun.

I could already hear my heart beat for some unknown reasons. My stomach already had butterflies in it and I couldn’t figure out how to stop it. Some stray hairs fell sideways, covering some part of her face. Reluctantly, I brought my hand up to her hair and tucked it behind her ear. As I stared at her, I couldn’t stop thinking of what Yongguk hyung kept on reminding me, making me feel stupid that moment.

I feel mad about myself why I even let my feelings grow and why I even acknowledged it. I should’ve just shrugged it off like how I did before and ignore her. It’s not like it’s a big difference if I did, right? We never got along the very first time so it most likely wouldn’t matter.

I hate how I’m staring at her this moment. I want to stop myself thinking how pretty she looks at this distance but can’t. She looked so peaceful although the dark circles were showy since she’d also most probably slept too late last night.

I gulped as different thoughts went through my mind. I should stop this. I know I should. She has a boyfriend and this, I don’t think it’s appropriate. I bit my lower lip as I wished the bell would ring and hopefully, it would also wake her up. Time went by and I sighed in relief as the bell rang and she woke up.

“S-Sorry,” she muttered. I shrugged, reaching for my bag and standing up.

“You owe another,” I said before walking off ignoring her questions.

I stopped as I reached the stairs and felt my chest where my heart seemed to pound hard on to. I closed my eyes for a while before taking one glance back to the door and walking down.


Hi! Sorry because my update was delayed for two hours! :c It's already 2:10AM here and I really tried my best to update today. I hope this chapter didn't let you down. There might be many typos or errors here and there. I wasn't able to read through it before posting it up. Hope you understand but I'll edit it as soon as I have time.

To those who leaves comments, I LOVE YOU SO MUCH! You make me want to update more! :)

To those who have not yet commented, feel free to comment! I'll appreciate it a lot! :)

Thank you!