Piano

Wishing Upon A Flower

Fixed Star by Infinite


Chapter 23 – Piano

All throughout the day, the EXO guys were playing at the backyard and stopped after getting tired. BAP on the other hand stayed in their rooms since they couldn’t swim for they couldn’t remove their masks. They were having fun though with the board games Zelo had borrowed from Hyomi who was still being teased and asked by Ah Neul.

“Are you two together? Tell me! Is that why you don’t like anyone from school? It’s because you have him?” Ah Neul teased as they prepared for dinner. Hyomi chose to ignore her and walk away, approaching Kai so Ah Neul wouldn’t be teasing her anymore.

“What are you doing?” Kai asked as he was leaning on the counter not doing anything since nothing was tasked for him to do than to wait for anyone asking for help.

“Nothing. Ah Neul’s teasing me so I thought of approaching you.” Hyomi smiled and Kai raised an eyebrow at her.

“And why me?” He asked. She looked back at Ah Neul who kept herself busy before grinning to Kai.

“Secret. Oppa, could you help me with this then?” Hyomi said carrying plates to be set on the table. Kai just shrugged.

“You’re weird today, Hyomi. Give me that.” Kai said grabbing the plates from Hyomi who just chuckled.

They finished preparing dinner and this time, BAP occupied the dining table since EXO insisted that they have used it already and they would just eat at the backyard. BAP felt uneasy about it but after all the EXO guys went out, with Hyomi and Ah Neul, they looked at each other and shrugged.

“They’re man of words right?” Zelo said as he sat down and before removing his mask, he turned around to check before complete taking it off. “This looks delicious.” He muttered to himself before eating. The other five guys just shrugged and joined Zelo, removing their masks, and eating.

The EXO and Hyomi and Ah Neul ate at the backyard, or shall we say the pool area. There was a covered part there where there was a table though it was not enough for them. Some just sat on the floor and the stairs that led inside. Tao curiously peeked in wondering what BAP looks like but Kris caught him, dragging him back to the table holding his ear.

“A-a, hyung!” Tao struggled. He was pushed back to his seat and he pouted. “I was just curious!” He said.

“But we promised them!” Kris retorted making Tao pout.

“Let’s just respect them as much as how they respect us.” Jongdae said. Tao sighed and nodded.

“Fine.” He said and continued eating. Hyomi smiled to herself hearing those words from her oppas. She looked up the sky and smiled.

“Omma, appa, I’m so lucky I have these oppas with me. Is this the answer to my wish?” She thought. Ah Neul nudged her, snapping her back to reality.

“What are you thinking about?” She asked. Hyomi smiled and shook her head.

“Nothing. I’m just happy right now.” Hyomi said and continued eating. Ah Neul smiled.

“Yeah, I didn’t know this will be this fun.” She muttered to herself.

They finished dinner and the boys did a game to determine who would wash the dishes. The BAP joined in as well, creating a small tension in the air as Himchan and Lay met eyes. They stood far away from each other as much as possible to prevent themselves from fighting. The game ended with Himchan and Lay cleaning the dishes.

To say the truth, it was planned. Suho had spoken to Yongguk and Yongguk relayed it to the other members while Suho relayed it to his team.

“Good luck!” The others cheered them on, leaving them at the kitchen while the others watched them from the living room.

“I hope they don’t fight.” Zelo peered.

“I think they’re mature enough.” Youngjae assured him.

Himchan and Lay stared at the dishes at the sink, Himchan biting her lower lip while Lay clenching his fist tight.

“Those guys, I’m sure they planned this.” Himchan muttered to himself. Lay heard it but just kept quiet and walked towards the sink.

“Let’s just get this done.” He said, opening the faucet. Himchan took a deep breath before standing beside him in front of the sink. “Let’s just divide the work, should we?” Lay asked, his eyes fixed on the plates.

“S-Sure. That’ll be the best.” Himchan said. Lay nodded and they started sorting the dishes. After, they started washing it in silence.

Hyomi, Ah Neul, BAP and EXO kept an eye on them and they think they were doing well. Somehow, the remaining members of both teams weren’t that uncomfortable with each other though there were times BAP would be quiet. EXO is many, ok? They outnumber the other team. Hyomi and Daehyun though, well, they just don’t talk to each other though they usual met eyes but ends up with one looking away or both them.

“At least they’re not fighting.” Kris remarked. The others nodded, agreeing.

“Let’s plan our outing tomorrow.” Luhan proposed. BAP looked at each other since they don’t have any clue about it.

“We’re planning on going to a beach tomorrow.” Suho said making Zelo grow giddy. He’s the maknae, right?

“That’ll be fun.” Yongguk said.

“What time should we leave tomorrow?” Kyungsoo asked.

“It’ll be better if we leave early so we could enjoy longer.” Chanyeol said.

“Seven?” Baekhyun said.

“Is it ok with everyone?” Kris asked. It was quiet for a while before they nodded. Daehyun though was quiet althroughout.

“What beach are we going?” Tao asked.

“Haeundae beach.” Hyomi smiled. Daehyun shot Hyomi a look but she wasn’t able to notice it since she was busy talking with the other people. Daehyun didn’t like that place, not because of the beach but because it reminds him of his dad.

They continued to plan about their outing and went back to their rooms to prepare and since they have to leave early, they decided to take a rest already. Daehyun was considering of not going since he wouldn’t just enjoy it. He entered his room with Youngjae and he just sat on his bed motionless while Youngjae started fixing his things.

“Aren’t you going to fix your things to?” He asked.

“I don’t want to go.” Daehyun said bluntly.

“Why?” Youngjae asked.

“Because it reminds me of bad memories.” He said looking away.

“Hyung, you promise us!” Youngjae said facing him.

“But it’s hard. If you’re on my feet—“

“Maybe hyung but the fact still remains that you promised us. You told us you would let go. Himchan hyung stuck to his words. You, aren’t you going to be a man and keep your promise?” Youngjae said. Daehyun looked down.

Youngjae’s right but the pain hinders him. He wants to keep his promise but his heart is full of anger, he might just not be able to stop himself from crying when he gets to that place after a decade.

“We’re here, hyung. We would help you, so fix your things and come with us already.” Youngjae said. Daehyun sighed and nodded.

“Ok. For the sake of our friendship—“ Youngjae shook his head.

“No hyung. It’s for the sake of your heart’s freedom.” Youngjae smiled returning to what he was doing. Daehyun bit his lower lip and heaved a sigh.

Hyomi’s POV

Me and Ah Neul was already lying on my bed after fixing our things. It was already ten in the evening. The lights were off but the TV was on. We weren’t watching though. We were chatting about random things.

“You and Daehyun should bond tomorrow.” Ah Neul said making me smack her softly.

“No.” I said sternly and she snickered.

“Why? Himchan-ssi and Lay-ssi’s also doing the same.” Ah Neul said.

“It’s different, Ah Neul. Himchan sunbaenim and Lay oppa is like that because they had a fight over something but Daehyun and I, we just don’t click.” I said and she smirked.

“You just say that.” Ah Neul said as she the bed to face me. “Believe me, you would bring your owrds back in the future.” She smirked before closing her eyes.

“What are you saying?” I said but she didn’t reply anymore. Wow. Such a fast sleeper. I just gigled to myself turning the TV off. I sighed as I lie back down and stare at the ceiling.

When was the last time I slept on this bed? A month ago? Two months ago? I can’t even remember but the memories created here are clear to me. How my friends comes over and have an overnight, how my mom sings me a lullaby to sleep when I was still young, how my mom and dad join me to sleep whenever I can’t. I closed my eyes and let tears to escape from my eyes.

I kept on crying while biting my lower lip as I reminisced the days I’ve spent with my parents and friends in this house. I missed it and I hope I could turn back the time but it was impossible. I sighed as I checked the time on my phone which lied on my side. It’s already twelve in the midnight but I can’t go to sleep. I slowly got up from bed, careful not to wake Ah Neul up. I wore my slippers and sneaked out the room. I closed the door as quiet as I can before walking up to the third floor where one of my favorite rooms is at.

I opened the door to the music room. I turned the lights on before closing the door. I turned around to the grand piano that still looked new but I wonder if it sounds the same since it’s been a long time since I last played it. If I had something to be show-off, it’ll be my piano skills. I’m not the best but I could play the piano swiftly. I sat in front of it and opened the cover to the keys. I run my hands through it, making sure not to press any of the keys first. With the people I am with right now, only Baekhyun oppa knows I play the piano. Actually, only a few knows I know how to play; my parents, Baekhyun oppa, and Sehun.

The memory of when my dad would join me in playing while my mom stand by the piano and sing. It was on eof the happiest moments of my life. I didn’t know this is the feeling of longing for something, for someone. I didn’t know it hurts this much. I regret the years I’ve became distant from my parents when they were still alive and how stubborn I get sometimes. I regret the words I thought of when they scold me for my wrong doings but it was too late for it. I breathe in before pressing a key. It was still the same, luckily.

I pressed the key one after another until I played one of my favorite piano pieces—Reminiscence Keep Us Together by Yiruma. As I played it, tears fell slowly, like how the speed of the melody of the song echoed in the room.

Daehyun’s POV

Youngjae slept at the bed while I slept at the pull-out bed. I was stirring around since I couldn’t sleep at all. I don’t know why but the memories I’m trying to forget keep on coming back. I want to get mad. I want to get angry at Hyomi for bringing us here. But even how mad I am with her, I couldn’t blame her. She don’t know a thing about my life like how I don’t know anything from her either. Name, that’s what we know about each other, nothing more, nothing less.

I sat up, frustrated. I messed my hair as I leaned on the bed of Youngjae. I felt him move so I quickly got up. I looked back at him and he was sleeping peacefully. I sighed as I wore my slippers and went out our room. I want some fresh air so might as well go to the roof top.

I walked upstairs to the third floor. The stairs to the rooftop was at the end of the hallway so I passed by some rooms and when I passed by the music room, I was stunned to hear a piano piece being played.

“Wait, don’t tell me there’s a ghost here?” I thought, shuddering from the thought. “What the heck are you thinking about Daehyun?!” I leaned on the door, getting to hear the music clearer.

The song piece was beautiful. I’ve never heard of it but I’m sure that this person is playing it with passion. I wonder who is it though. I tried peeking in, making sure to open the door quietly. My eyes widened when I saw Hyomi, her eyes was closed, crying. I bit my lower lip. She knows how to play the piano? To mention that she plays like a pro! But the question is, why is she crying?

Because I liked the piano piece, I stayed longer, the door opened slightly. I don’t know but I stared at her while she was playing. I just hope she won’t notice it because she might think about weird stuff. Nah, forget about it.

I was so immersed with her playing the piano that I didn’t even notice she was done playing it until she turned to my direction.

“Mr.—“ I closed the door and ran up to the rooftop. I felt my heart beat race. I looked back to check if she was following me but luckily, she isn’t. I felt my heart beat and it was beating crazily, either because I was stunned or because…she might have seen my face. You’re right. I’m not wearing my mask right now.

Did she see my face? Sht. I hope she didn’t. She might use it against me, if she’s that kind of girl. Darn. Daehyun, why did you leave your room not wearing your mask anyway?! Stupid.


How is this chapter? Please tell me what you think! THANK YOU!

     

*Sorry for grammatical errors and typos* :)