A Father's Insticts

Wishing Upon A Flower

Like A Soap by TVXQ


Chapter 69 – A Father’s Insticts

Hyomi’s POV

It’s the second day of our stay and I stayed in my room, playing with my cellphone but my mind was surely somewhere else. It’s filled with all the happenings last night. His words replayed in my mind like a broken CD. Unconsciously, I touched my lips.

No one had ever kissed me on the lips besides Sehun and it brings feelings I couldn’t explain. I felt my heart beat so fast just thinking of it, and I know it’s all wrong.

“Why did you have to do that?!” I said to no one in particular when there was a sudden knock on my door, surprising me.

“It’s open!” I said and the door opened, with Sehun sticking his head in. He grinned before fully opening the door. I can’t help but smile.  

“Lunch’s ready,” he said as he walked towards me.

“Oh,” I said as I stood up from the bed slipping to my house slippers.

“Are you okay?” He asked and I looked back at him and faked a laugh.

“Of course. Why wouldn’t I be?” I said and he shrugged.

“Just that… Ah, forget about it. Let’s go? Appa’s joining us,” he smiled and I nodded. We both left the room after and headed to the dining area.

As we entered the dining area, it was only aunt and uncle there. No Daehyun. Not that I really mind because I think seeing him right now wouldn’t be the right choice. I bowed to them who returned it with a warm smile. Sehun pulled a chair out for me and I thanked him before sitting down. He then sat beside me and opposite aunt who sat beside uncle.

“Let’s wait for him. I’m sure he’s going down in a minute,” aunt said and I felt my stomach do some flip-flop. He’s joining us. Eotteokhe?

Suddenly, we heard soft footsteps and we all looked up to see him enter the dining area. Our eyes met for a second before I looked away.

“Come and join us, Daehyun,” uncle said and I glanced back and forth them. I’m sure uncle is trying to fill up the times he wasn’t able to be a father to Daehyun but I wonder if Daehyun even acknowledge it because of his anger and everything. But I believe that somehow he would be able to forgive uncle. For the time I’ve known Daehyun, I know he doesn’t hold grudges for too long especially if that person had been a really important person to him.

Without any words, he sat opposite me and beside auntie. I continued to gaze at the porcelain plate in front of me. I don’t know what would happen once I look up and stare back at his eyes.

“Let’s start,” uncle said smiling. It was touching how he tried to get up from bed just to join us for lunch. He’s a father after all. He would do anything just to spend time with his family.

Like he said, we began eating.

The first few minutes were awfully quiet although I could feel someone gazing at me. I tried refraining myself from looking up but I did and he was staring right back at me.

Just be you, just be you. I told myself before raising an eyebrow at him and he smirked going back to eating. Ok, so what was that?

“So I heard,” uncle said and we turned to him. “How are you two doing together?” He said with his teasing smile I haven’t seen for a long time. He often teases us back then but that was when we were younger and things are different now. “I’m right, ain’t I?” A blush crept up my cheeks as I shyly smiled. It was awkward, really, to have this topic besides with my friends and best friends.

“We’re doing fine,” Sehun replied.

“That’s good. Are you going to get married soon?” He said and I know it was just a joke but my eyes really widened at that and my stomach suddenly got filled with so many butterflies.

“Yeobo, they’re still young for that, you know,” aunt said and I sighed in relief. I turned in front forgetting that Daehyun sat there and saw him just eating but I didn’t fail to notice his knuckles that already turned white. Was he really serious last night?

“I’m just joking, okay,” uncle said and chuckled.

“Don’t worry dad. We would come to that,” Sehun said and after, we heard a utensil dropping and we all turned to see Daehyun picking up his spoon on the floor.

“Sorry,” he said.

“It’s okay. Wait, I’ll get you another one,” aunt said as she stood up.

“How about you, Daehyun?” Uncle asked and my heart stopped beating for a second as I looked at him. His gaze focused on his food for a while before he shrugged.

“Nothing…yet,” he said and I’m even surprised he replied.

“Aigoo. What do you mean by that?” Uncle said. He shrugged.

“We’re going to get there…somehow in a way or another,” he said and just then, aunt came back, and gave him the clean spoon. I turned to Sehun who twitched and I started to get a hint that they know something I don’t.

Daehyun’s POV

“How about we go out today? Go shopping?” Sehun’s dad said enthusiastically.

“But…” His wife started but he gave her an assuring smile.

“I’ll be fine,” he said.

What is he really trying to do? If he’s trying to please me, it won’t that be as easy as buying me things he would’ve done as father.  

“So how’s that?” He said turning to us.

“Are you sure you’re going to be fine, dad?” Sehun asked worriedly and he nodded, smiling. If things didn’t get ugly before, I would’ve been the one asking the same words when he gets sick but I couldn’t even force the words out.

“I want to spend time with all of you,” he said and I cringe.

Time—We’re fighting for it.

I turned to Hyomi and found her eating though it was obvious that she was thinking so deep right now and I have a clue what it is.

“So, we’ll be heading out an hour after we eat, ok?” He said sounding to excited, something I haven’t heard for a long time.

“I—“ I began but got cut off.

“Neh, uncle,” Hyomi said, smiling. So she has been listening. I was surprised when she looked at me with a stern look.

“What?” I mouthed and she rolled her eyes.

Same old, same old. But I like this better. I really thought she would ignore me after what I did last night.

With that, a smirk drew to my lips before I continued eating and get ready.

Two hours later, we came to a place where every side were filled with brand stores. We stepped out of the car that was so quiet all throughout the car ride but Sehun and Hyomi’s interactions are just so hard to take that I looked out the window almost all the time although Sehun’s dad kept on talking to me.

“Where do you guys want to go first?” He asked smiling at us. I just looked away not really interested on buying anything.

“How about we try to go in…that store?” Sehun said as he nodded to a building where on top the glass door, ‘Dolce & Gabbana’ had a big sign.

I cringe. I know that brand sells really expensive clothes. I’m not stupid, okay. Besides, Himchan hyung kept on wearing clothes that are branded and this one brand is just one of them.

“Ok then, let’s go,” he smiled and I just followed them, not really caring to buy anything, although I’ve got to admit that many outfits caught my attention.

We entered store by store but I didn’t show any interest on anything until this one outfit really caught my attention that before I knew it, I was standing in front of it, admiring it. It was a grey v-neck with a grey jacket over paired with greyish-greenish jeans

“You like it?” My heart jumped in surprise as I shook my head and turned around to live. “I think you do fit it. Why not try it, Daehyun?” I gulped.

“It’s okay. I don’t like it nor do I hate it,” I said as I started walking away.  As I walked away, from the corner of my eyes, I saw Hyomi with a disappointed expression and I just tried to ignore it.

After many stores, we sure have availed so many things already but I assure you that I haven’t bought anything yet. We entered a female brand and I’m pretty sure it’s Hyomi’s turn to buy something. Sehun kept on putting clothes in front of her, looking if it looks good on her and I watch at the side line. She kept smiling and laughing as Sehun gives her clothes.

“Why, I’m sure it would look good on you,” Sehun teased.

“Yeah, right,” Hyomi replied sarcastically. I bit my lip, turning away. I just roamed the store when an outfit caught my eye. I turned around to see if anyone was looking before walking to it. A small smile formed on my lips as I imagined how it would perfectly look good on her. I checked the price and grunted a little. Why do all things here should be expensive? I turned to walk away, giving it one last look.

We left the store after Hyomi had finally bought something as well as Mrs. Oh.

“Should we go eat already? It’s about dinner,” Mrs. Oh proposed as she checked her watch. I looked up to the sky and saw it with the hue of orange, purple and blue, with the sun setting at the distance.

“Kids?” Sehun’s dad said and I just shrugged while Sehun and Hyomi nodded.

We then left and rode into the car as they talked about this restaurant that sells really delicious food but I’m sure this one is another place where we would waste money.

Hyomi’s POV

It had been hours that we were out. We arrived at this high-class restaurant and was accommodated immediately. I guess uncle and aunt it known here as the manager greeted them warmly.

“Table for five please,” Mrs. Oh said and the manager nodded, leading us to a table.

I looked around, amazed. The place was lit by big chandeliers and every table was designed prettily. I felt someone push my mouth close and I looked up seeing Sehun with a smirk. I frowned, punching him softly on the arm while he laughed. We sat at a round table with Sehun and Daehyun sitting at either side of me. It was awkward but I hope I could finish the dinner without any problems.

Menus were given out to us as we looked through it. Sehun pointed at some delicacies to me that he had tasted before and said that tasted really good. I can’t help but glance at Daehyun who just flipped through the menu before setting it down.

“Have you picked anything?” Uncle asked and he just shrugged. I bit my lower lip, thinking if I should just pick for him but thinking that I don’t know much about the food here either, I just sighed.

In the end, it was uncle who just ordered him food.

“Have you guys had fun?” Unlce asked and I nodded, smiling.

“Thank you, uncle, auntie,” I said and they smiled.

“Fun my ,” I heard Daehyun mutter and I kick him under the table. “Ow, what the?!”

“Shut up,” I muttered to him with a soft voice.

“Are you okay?” Mrs. Oh asked and he just nodded still rubbing the part I kicked. Did I really kick him that hard?

The food arrived a few minutes later and we started eating. We talked about random things but mostly, it was about how we’ve been doing in Seoul and I could see how uncle tried to talk to Daehyun and get him to say something but Daehyun rarely replies. It would either be a one word or a nod or a shake of the head.

“Loyal, eh?” Uncle laughed and I blushed. He just asked me if I had any boyfriend while Sehun had left.

“How about you? Do you like anyone?” He asked as he looked at Daehyun and my heart jumped. We looked at him with uncle and auntie with interest on his answer, me with a straight face on but my heart was racing so fast, and Sehun with an unreadable face.

He stopped eating, as if thinking before he did a sideways glance and I froze on my seat. He didn’t just do that. I looked over at uncle and auntie wondering if they noticed how Daehyun looked at me for a couple of seconds but they seemed not so I sighed in relief.

“Yes but I’d rather it be kept a secret,” he said and uncle and auntie nodded in understanding.

We continued to eat until the dinner finished and we went home. When we arrived home, we all got down the car. It was already late then so we headed to our room to get changed and everything. Upon showering, I grabbed my phone, fidgeting. Should I or should I not?

Could we talk? – Hyomi

I need to do this before it gets more complicated.

No One’s POV

“They’ve grown so much, huh?” Mrs. Oh said as she assisted Sehun and Daehyun’s dad to the bed. He softly smiled, nodding.

“Yes. It’s been so long since I’ve seen Daehyun. He changed a lot,” he said but the tone of his voice was a little bit sad.

“Everything’s going to be fine, yeobo. He just needs time,” Mrs. Oh said.

“I hope so,” he replied.

“Aren’t our son and Hyomi look so cute? I’m really excited for them to get married,” Mrs. Oh said enthuastically while he stiffened a little, remembering things that went unnoticed by her but definitely not by him as he is the father after all.

“How did it get this complicated?” He thought before giving his other half a small smile.


HI! Sorry for the really late update!!! School had been busy lately and I've been going home really tired because of the practices and everything but since it's finally done and it's our sembreak already, I could update more often. :)

How's this chapter? I'm really sorry if it looks rushed. I'll try to update as fast I can.