The Moment Where It's Only You and I

Wishing Upon A Flower

Step By Me by F(x)


Chapter 68 – The Moment Where It’s Only You and I

Hyomi’s POV

I was too stunned to move. I opened my mouth to say something but closed it again. What am I supposed to say after what I’ve learned? Did I even hear it right? Finally, after a minute of silence as we just stared at each other’s eyes, I afforded to say his name.

“Daehyun,” I stammered and before I could say something more, he looked away and left, running down the stairs.

My feet stayed rooted on the ground as I watched him ran down. Am I supposed to follow? To ask him if he’s alright? To know if something is wrong? Am I even in that position to ask why he was there in uncle’s room and if I actually heard it right? I felt unease as I’m sure Daehyun don’t know anything about this place. Not saying I know so many things neither but I’m sure that I somehow know the way around the village.

I turn to Sehun’s room to tell him I’ll just go out but when I knocked on his door, no one answered. I pressed my ear to his door and heard the water still running. I suppose he’s still taking a bath. I looked sideways, still baffled of what to do.

“You should follow him. Isn’t he your friend, dear?” My attention diverted to the stairs and I saw Sehun’s mom with a small smile, walking up. Slowly, I nodded.

“But, Sehun… He might…”

“You know he wouldn’t,” she said and I bit my lower lip thinking. “Go. He might lose his way back here,” she said with an assuring smile and I nodded smiling back.

“Thank you auntie,” I said bowing before running down the stairs.

Daehyun’s POV

As I stepped out the house, I felt the cold wind brush against my skin and I cursed. Why did I even run outside the house when I could just go to my room? I turned to the door and groaned. It’ll be pathetic if I go back in.

With a sigh, I walked out the gates and looked at my sides, thinking which way to go. I ended up walking to my right. The pavement is covered with snow and you need to be careful not to slip. I looked up at the sky and sighed. I’m still angry but who am I to continue shout at him? I’m just his son…Wait. I’m no one.

I pushed my hair back, releasing another breath that created some smoke to appear. My heart jumped as I heard my name being called followed by fast footsteps. . She can’t see me like this. I picked up my speed when suddenly, I heard a squeal and I turned, seeing Hyomi on the ground, flinching.

I tried to hide my laughter but still ended up laughing. She glared at me and I stopped, or at least, strained myself to laugh more. She tried standing up but struggled as she kept on slipping again and wincing in pain. I walked towards her and held a hand out. She looked at it before glaring at me again and looking away, helping herself up.

“Fine. Stand up yourself. Let’s see if you can,” I rolled my eyes although I know those words were just meant to . I hated how she looks hurt.

“Yeah, I can!” She boasted and I smirked, crossing my arms over my chest, watching her. She propped both her hands on the floor and tried pushing herself up but failed. She tried it again and was somewhat successful but then slipped again.

“You obviously can,” I said sarcastically and she glared at me.

“I wouldn’t be slipping if you didn’t run away,” she muttered in a low voice but was still audible for me. I bent to be eye-level to her and raised an eyebrow.

“I didn’t ask you to follow me,” I said and she threw another glare at me.

“Whatever, just leave, urgh. I shouldn’t really have followed you,” she said trying to stand up again. I shook my head, standing up, brushing my hand on my pants before I held my hand out again.

“Palli,” I said but still, she didn’t take it so I took her hand and pulled her up but because of the slippery floor and the force I put on pulling her up that was unexpectedly strong, we stumbled and ended up in an awkward position.

We stayed on that position—her on my embrace—catching our breaths from that heart-accelerating moment. If I wasn’t able to maintain our balance, we would be both ending up on the floor with a more awkward position and worst, both of us might get hurt. I tilted my head a little to her and our faces were almost touching. I could feel my heart race more and I gulped.

“A-Are you ok?” I asked and as if she went back to reality, she pulled back and nodded.

“T-Thanks,” she said and I nodded.

I tuck my hands inside my pockets since I’m already freezing. We awkwardly stood there in silence before I cleared my throat.

“You should go back. It’s cold here,” I said. She shook her head.

“I can’t,” she said and I felt a fluttering feeling inside me.

“Why?” I asked.

“Just because,” she said as she looked at me.

“Yeah, right,” I said.

“Do you even know your way around here?” She said as she peered behind my back. “Do you know where that is going?” She said.

“Why, do you?” I said in a teasing tone. She thought before nodding.

“Yeah, somehow, I know,” she said before her dry lips and looking behind me again.

“Still, you’re not sure,” I said, smirking. Her eyes twitched, her lips slowly turning to a pout.

“Are we going to argue about this kind of things, for the nth time?” She said and I shrugged.

“Maybe? It’s fun,” I grinned. She rolled her eyes.

“Why did you even ran outside?” She said and my grip on my pocket tightened.

“It’s nothing. I just want to…see what this place has. I’m sure ours is better,” I said, shrugging. Slowly, she nodded but in a doubtful manner.

“If you say so. Then I’ll come with you,” she said as she started walking. I watched her as she walked past me and then turn. “Are you just going to stand there and freeze or what?” She asked and I hid the smile that drew on my lips as I followed her. Does this mean, she care? Maybe, maybe not but I want to think it was the first one and let this moment last.

Hyomi’s POV

I could still feel my heart accelerating from the contact we had a while ago and from the almost slipping incident again. I was thankful, of course, that he was able to maintain both our balance. We walked silently beside each other and I blew in the air creating a small smoke. I rubbed my hands together and breathe on it when I noticed Daehyun shivering beside me. I looked at him and saw him wearing only two layers of clothing.

He turned to me and raised an eyebrow.

“What?” He asked and I shook my head, looking ahead again.

I can’t help but to think of how Daehyun feel cold right now. I turned to the jacket I wore above another jacket and layers of clothes. The only thing that holds me back from giving him my jacket is not the coldness but how he might be misunderstanding it. But, he isn’t like that, right? There’s no time for that. It’s either I let him freeze or I let him use my jacket. The end.

I removed my jacket and hand it to him. He looked at my outstretched arm and the jacket before he turned to me.

“Wha—“

“Wear it. You look like you’re gonna pass out any moment from the coldness,” I said but he pushed it back to me.

“It’s okay. You might be the one freezing,” he said and I rolled my eyes. I put it over his shoulder and crossed my arms over my chest. I felt him gaze at me and a small smile slowly drew to my lips.

“I’m not that bad, you know,” I muttered. I heard him softly chuckle.

“Thanks,” he said, softly. I just nodded as we continued to walk. I saw him wear it and I was relieved it was big enough to fit him.

“If you don’t mind,” I said to break the silence.

“What?” He asked.

“May I know why you ran out?” I asked peeking at his face. I saw his eyes twitched. He his lips, his look kept on going back to the floor and up. “If you don’t want to say it, then it’s fine. I’m not going to force it out from you,” I said. I’ve grown to have that attitude because I’m sure most of us don’t like getting forced to say or do something.

“Sorry,” he said and I slightly smiled, assuring him.

“It’s okay. I understand. Just want to let you know that…” I paused and shrugged, “I’m just here.”

“I know,” he said and my eyes flickered to him.

“How so? I didn’t know we’re that close,” I teased nudging him.

“Maybe because you are here, right now, with me in the cold? Isn’t that enough?” He said raising an eyebrow at me. Well, he has a point.

“Uhm…”

“May I ask you something?”

“Sure, go ahead.”

“Why’d you follow me out?” My walking slowed down as I thought about his question. Why did I follow him out anyway?

“Because…”

“Because?”

“Because I’m sure you don’t know your way around here,” I smugly said although I know it wasn’t why though it wasn’t a lie either. I just really don’t why myself.

“Yeah, right. You think I’ll believe that?”

“Yes? Because you should and for the fact that you asked,” I said.

“Why would I?”

“Because that’s the truth,” I said and I was surprised when he stepped in front of me and looked deeply into my eyes.

“Then tell me, looking straight at my eyes, that that’s true,” he said. I felt uncomfortable under his gaze but somehow, I also didn’t want to lose so I looked straight back at him, refraining myself to twitch and look away.

“That’s the truth. I just worry you might get lost.” Damn. Did I just say I worry? He smirked, nodding.

“I see. You worry,” he said. I bit my lower lip.

“Whatever. It’s just that auntie told me to follow you in case you get lost,” I said, trying to cover up with what I said.

“Yeah, if you say so.” I knew he wouldn’t believe me anymore. “Thank you, I guess, for worrying,” he said and I looked at him and he was looking straight me, smiling. I shrugged.

“I said I wasn’t worrying, okay? Besides, what are friends for?” I said and I don’t know but I see disappointment cross his face before he nodded with that smirk of his and took the space beside me again as we continued to walk.

It felt more comfortable after. I just enjoyed the sceneries, mostly new to us. I’m not even sure how long we’ve been walking. I looked at my watched and found that it was already eight in the evening. I wasn’t sure what time I headed out so I don’t know how long we’ve been outside.

“Do you want to go back already?” He asked, startling me.

“If you want to.”

“I’m asking you.”

“If you are ready to go back then let’s go back.”

“Then are you willing to stay longer?” He said looking at me. Without thinking that much, I nodded. On a normal day, I would’ve declined that or maybe, I’m not here by his side because that is us—we usually don’t care about each other.

“Just to be sure you won’t get lost,” I grinned and he scoffed. He walked fast and I caught up with him. “Just kidding, yah, wait up.” He mumbled something but I wasn’t able to catch it. “Did you say something?”

“Nothing,” he said. “Let’s go sit.” I followed him to the same park I went with Sehun a while ago. He brushed the snow off the stone bench before he sat down and I followed, sitting next to him.

We were just both quiet as I watch some passer-by and him…I’m not sure. I looked at him and his face looked troubled although I know he was trying to hide it. He’s Daehyun after all. His look kept on darting on different places and his hand, although he tries to make it still, he keeps on fidgeting. Now I know how he is when he is troubled.

I kept on thinking whether if it was better that I let the silence surround us or should I talk to him, to stall him, to get him away from the thoughts that seemed to bother him so much.

I sighed. I hate myself when I’m like this. I kept on thinking so much that I ended up just getting confused of what to do. I puffed my cheeks and swung my feet back and forth. Should I talk to him? Suddenly, I felt a cold hand touch me but as seconds passed, it turned warm. I looked down and saw him holding my hand. I don’t know why but I held him back, squeezing his hand a little, as if assuring him I’m just here.

“Did…you hear it?” He asked, his voice shaky and I looked at him and felt guilt. But I didn’t intentionally listen to them, right? Or did I? I was just surprised, okay, that I heard him shouting but then, isn’t that listening too? Aish!

“I guess… I’m sorry,” I said as I looked down on my lap.

“Then you know it already?” He said and right then, I could feel his gaze on me.

“I’m not sure if I heard it right,” I said as I looked at him.

“Why? What did you think you heard?” He asked and I could hear from the tone of his voice and the way he gazed at me that he was curious, that he wanted to know.

“That…he called you his son,” I said, hesitating because I know it was such a sensitive topic.

“Then you heard it right,” he said before he looked in front again. I bit my lower lip. If that’s so, then he’s Sehun’s older brother? “And yes. Believe it or not, I’m Sehun’s older brother, step brother to be exact,” he said and even though he sounded calm, I know he just forced himself to call himself as his older brother. He’d known he was an only child all these years anyway and I understand. How, don’t ask me. Maybe because of countless dramas I’ve watched or stories I’ve heard.

“Then uncle’s…” He nodded. “I see,” I said my lips again. “He’s the one you’re telling me about?” He nodded again. “Then are you mad at him?” He nodded again and that’s when I decided I’ve asked enough and just nodded. I don’t even know why I asked that when I know for the fact that he was mad.

“What should I do?” He asked and I could feel his hold on me tighten until his hand intertwined with mine. I should pry my hand off but I couldn’t bring myself to do it. For what reason, again, I don’t know. I’m just sure I want to assure him that I’m still listening and that he has someone at this moment to hold onto to.

“What do your heart tells you?” I asked.

“I’m not sure,” he said.

“What did you feel that moment when you saw him? When he called you his son?” I asked.

“I...don’t know,” he said.

“I’m really not sure, Dae, if what I’ll be saying will help you though I know I might be crossing the line I shouldn’t but I’m somehow sure you missed him and when he calls you his son. I know you’re mad for what he did but everyone creates mistakes and maybe he has a reason why he did it. You should hear his side first. If you’ll be able to have a proper talk with him, I’m sure it’ll help,” I said. Then I remembered how we fixed if not everything the misunderstanding between us. “Like how we made up with each other.”

He was quiet for most of the time and I didn’t want to disturb him because he might be thinking deep about what to do.

“Hyomi,” he said and I turned to him. His eyes intently but softly looked at me. I looked back at him and noticed how he would be liked more by girls without his mask and when they see this soft side of him.

Daehyun’s POV

Calling her name, I softly gazed at her, wondering if I should or not say what I’ve been wanting to say to her. But doing so might destroy a relationship and I’m not that bad to do that. I'll still be ask her though not directly and from then, I'll decide.  

“I could be selfish at times too, right?” I asked and her eyebrows furrowed as if in deep thought.

“Depends? I don’t know. Why?” She asked.

“Because…” I paused and searched her eyes. She was just looking at me and I guess she’s gotten comfortable over time and I’m happy for that. I looked down at our hands, thinking of what I’m about to do over and over. I looked back at her and her eyes still showed she was waiting. I pursed my lips and softly smiled. “…of what I’m about to do,” I said and as if my feelings got the best of me, I leaned in and for the first time, I’ve felt how her soft lips felt on mine and how it felt nice to know she somehow had been mine for some hours and how it felt as if she reciprocate how I felt.

Hyomi’s POV

The walk home was awkward especially after that. I don’t know if I should be mad or if I should just understand him. My feelings got more complicated but in some way clear. It’s confusing, I know but that’s how I felt. Just to make things clear, we didn’t do a deep kiss. I didn’t kiss back as well but neither did I pull away.

When we finally reached the gate, I stopped to open it but before we could enter, he talked in a soft voice.

“I’m sorry if you got offended but I just want you to know but after this night, even though I know the truth, I’m going to try my best because now I’m sure,” he said and in a faint voice, he continued, “I never want to let go.”


 

Oh-oh. :))

So what do you think of this chapter? :) I hope you are satisfied, somehow, with this. So I guess starting now, the story would have more rivalry than before, or let's say, the rivalry would be more obvious. I promise you. Hyomi would eventually understand herself. Kekeke~

That's it for now.

Thank you for all the comments and hi to all the old and new subscribers! I love you! :)

Annyeong~! :)