Chapter 38: Excuses

Good To Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

To Eunhye's surprise, they did as much attention as she imagined. No one questioned them when they sat next to each other at the dining table. Not even when Wonwoo filled her bowl with ramyeon first before filling his own. She was more surprised when she saw Irene laugh at what Chanyeol was saying at the other end of the table.

"Are you jealous?" Wonwoo asked her after seeing where her eyes were.

She shook her head. "I just wonder why he didn't try talking to her like that yesterday," she said. It had been a while since her best friend had a serious relationship which was why she agreed to Sunmi's idea to get him and Irene meet. It was a waste now that they will be leaving in about an hour.

"I still don't believe it, though."

"Don't believe what?"

"That he doesn't love you like that," he said, lowering his voice so only she would hear. "I've known you for half a semester. You knew each other for almost two decades. I would not blame him, if he did, though."

"Ahw," she mused. "Maybe in twenty years you won't like me anymore."

He pinched her nose. "I doubt that."

She swatted his hand away and tried to reach for the egg rolls that was in front of Chanyeol. "Yeol. The egg rolls, please."

"Oh," he said and passed the plate to Wonwoo, who was closer to him. "How nice of you to finally look outside your love bubble and notice our existence."

Sunmi smacked his arm. "There's more in the pan, hun."

Wonwoo picked a roll and put it on her bowl. "Another one?" he guessed, seeing she was still eyeing the rolls with a hungry look on her face. She nodded with a smile, so he added one and placed the plate back on the table.

"Any plans for today, Hye?" Sunmi asked.

Scrunching her nose, Eunhye shook her head. "Not really. I want to stay in my room and sleep for the rest of the day."

"Lie to my face," Sunmi snapped, making Eunhye choke on the egg roll. "You'll just play on your computer all day."

"I've been meaning to return your hard drive, Noona," Wonwoo said, placing a glass of water in front of her, gently massaging her back. "But I left it at the dorm. Wanna come over and get it?"

"Just bring it to class," she said, finding the suggestion absurd.

"I'm having trouble installing one of the games, too," Wonwoo insisted. "Can you help me? After that, I'll return your hard drive."

"You need help installing?"

Wonwoo turned to Sunmi, asking for help.

"Aegyo," Sunmi mouthed, winking. Sunmi knew her friend hated it and it always worked as the best blackmail.

"Should I do aegyo?" he asked. "I'm bad at it, though."

Eunhye stopped him before he did anything that would embarrass both of them. "Fine. I'll stop by."

"Huh," Sunmi sat back on her chair, crossing her arms in front of her chest. She narrowed her eyes at the two of them but did not say anything else.

After an hour, they were leaving the house and Eunhye could not help but feel regretful. It was such a beautiful place to be caught in a drama she created all on her own. She could have enjoyed it better if she was not hiding Wonwoo.

"Do you want shotgun?" Sunmi asked her as they walked together towards Chanyeol's car.

"Nah," Eunhye answered with a scrunch of her nose. "I'm fine in the back."

"Were you and Wonwoo in a fight yesterday?"

"Not really a fight," she admitted. "But we're good now."

"Yeah, you look too good together," Sunmi noted. The two of them were the first ones to arrive in the car and they climbed in. After settling down, Sunmi turned again. "Did anything eventful happen last night?"

At her friends words, memories of the previous night came flooding in her head, and her tongue was caught in . "We, uh..."

"You what?" Sunmi watched Eunhye bite her lower lip, so she understood and shrieked. "So is today, like your first day, or something?"

Eunhye counted her fingers, earning an accusing look from her friend. "Probably eighteenth?"

Sunmi hit her arm really hard. "B*tch." Her long flowing hair fell to her face and she pushed it back with a hand and she sat back on her seat. "I knew something was going on. That's almost three weeks, Hye. You kept that from us?"

"I thought I could keep it for longer," she admitted. "You guys kept teasing me, I didn't know how to put it in words."

The door next to Eunhye opened and Wonwoo climbed in. The two girls fell silent, trying to hide their smiles. Wonwoo looked at them back and forth, puzzled. He felt the stub of his chin, wondering if he left a portion unshaved. "Do I have something on my face?" he asked.

"Yes," Sunmi said, trying hard not to giggle as Wonwoo used his phone as a mirror to check himself out. "Love."

It was Eunhye's turn to hit her friend's arm this time. "Shut up."

Sunmi finally let her laughter out. She patted Eunhye's face affectionately like she always liked to do, reminding her that she was the youngest out of the three of them. "You're two are so cute." 

She fumbled on her phone and showed them a photo of Eunhye sleeping on Wonwoo's shoulder. In the picture, Eunhye looked tired but comfortable while leaning against Wonwoo, who was gazing at her affectionately. It was taken when they were on their way there. 

"I might use this as a wallpaper."

"Ya! Delete that," Eunhye demanded. It was not the most flattering photo she had.

"Can you send that to me, Noona?" Wonwoo asked, also taking his phone out. "Thanks," he said after five seconds.

Eunhye sat back on the carseat, zipping her jacket up to cover her face and refused to talk to them. She hated taking photos of herself, let alone stolen ones.

"Ah, cute," Wonwoo muttered beside her.

Hani climbed into the car next, slumping down beside Eunhye and looking like she was ready to punch someone. Eunhye ped her jacket to take a look and try to guess what could be wrong. Basing on the pimple on Hani's forehead, it was her time of the month, which meant she would be in a bad mood. Poor Mingyu, was all she could think of. She and Sunmi exchanged glances and both silently decided to tell her the new updates at a later time.

The ride back was almost the same as the previous trip. It was quiet, except for Sunmi's music. Hani was not sleeping, but was not talking to anyone either, and Mingyu, just like Eunhye and Wonwoo, was stuck on his phone, but later fell asleep with his head against the window. 

Eunhye was done watching a gameplay video and was about to log into a game when she felt Wonwoo's head on her shoulder. She tried to shrug him off but he just held her arm down and set his head further up to the crook of her neck. Giving up, she sat straighter so he would not need to bend his neck too much. Her eyes caught Chanyeol's in the rearview mirror.

"Ahw," he mouthed. She aimed a fist at him and he set his eyes  back on the road, clearing his throat.

"Is my head heavy?" Wonwoo asked, lifting his head slightly so he would not put all the weight on her. He was actually starting to get dizzy from watching videos on his phone in a moving car.

She pushed his head back. "It's fine. Go to sleep. I'll wake you up when we get there."

Smiling, Wonwoo leaned back his head, reaching under their bags to intertwine their fingers. Eunhye hesitated at first but soon relaxed because his hand felt good.

 

*******

 

"Do I really need to come up?" she asked Wonwoo as Chanyeol pulled up in front of Mingyu's and Wonwoo's apartment building. Seeing the huge apartment building, she realized she had been conned to do Wonwoo'

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter