Chapter 54: Chill Camp

Good To Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wonwoo walked into the coffee shop nervous and excited at the same time. He was finally doing something for himself so he could put his plan into motion. It was convenient to stay with five other guys who needed a place for a low cost so they decided to live together. Wonwoo did not really see the need for his own room until he got sick one time and Eunhye came over. Thanks to that app they created and sold, he already had a few good zeroes in his bank account, making his goal easier to achieve.

"Uh, we're not open yet," the guy behind the counter said. Wonwoo remembered seeing him the day he first came in for that weird "interview" with the store owner. 

"Hi," he said when he walked over to the counter. "I'm Jeon Wonwoo. I was supposed to receive training today."

"Oh, hi," the guy answered. "Uh, well, the boss isn't here yet so you can just wait for him. I'm Younghoon, by the way."

Wonwoo bowed slightly and took a seat on one of the empty chairs. He was told to come early morning before the store opened and so he did. After a few minutes, the door opened again and a tanned guy who was as tall as Wonwoo, if not taller, came in. He waved at Younghoon behind the counter and turned his eyes on Wonwoo.

"Are you Jeon Wonwoo?" the guy asked.

Wonwoo got up and bowed to the newcomer who seemed to be the "boss" Younghoon mentioned. He was actually expecting a middle-aged man, but the guy was maybe five to seven years older than him. The guy held his hand out for a shake and Wonwoo took it. The grip was a bit too strong, but he doubted the guy was even aware of it, because his smile was the friendliest one Wonwoo had ever seen.

"Hi, I'm Seungheon," he said. "Baek Seungheon."

"Nice to meet you, Seungheon-sajangnim."

Seungheon laughed, revealing slight wrinkles in his eyes and dimples on both cheeks that could rival, his roommate, Seungcheol's. "No need to call me that. You can call me Hyung just like everyone. Minseok is the CEO, not me."

"Okay, sir," Wonwoo said awkwardly. The guy eyes him. "Hyung."

The older guy chuckled and turned to Younghoon, who was currently wiping an espresso machine three times as huge as the one in Eunhye's kitchen counter. "Is Rowoon here yet?"

"Minkyung is switching for him instead," Younghoon said.

"Wow," Seungheon said sarcastically. "You guys switch shifts without letting me know?"

"We told you, Oppa." There was a girl with blue hair came out from the back carrying a mop. "Two days ago. You even scolded him for making me do the Opening shift."

Seungheon's mouth fell open. "Ah, right. Sorry. I forgot." He clapped his hand once. "So, Wonwoo. Come here, let me show you around the place first and then we'll get to the coffee stuff later."

Seungheon introduced Wonwoo to the place, showing him the storage and where the garbage went. There was an organized system in the kitchen and Seungheon assured him that it would make it easy for Wonwoo to manage the bar even if he was left alone. The guy also asked him what he knew about coffee and Wonwoo was finally able to put Eunhye's teachings to good use. It also helped that he himself, was a coffee enthusiast, so he was interested in learning how to make it.

For his first lesson, he was taught how to roast coffee through a machine and brew through hand dripping. He thought it was something easy but there were actual techniques that would make a normal cup to a special one. He stayed an hour during the opening as well so he could observe it, much to Seungheon's liking.

"I will have to go to the university now," Wonwoo told Seungheon after deciding he observed enough for a day. "I will have to move my classes all in the morning so I could work starting 3 PM."

"Thanks again for today," Seungheon said, patting him on the back. "And for doing your own research. Teaching you was a breeze. I'm thinking we could give you the license in just four days instead of training for the whole week."

"Well, my girlfriend breathes coffee," Wonwoo admitted, scratching the back of his head, sort of pressured by the compliment. "She made sure I know my coffee before coming here."

"I see, no wonder you knew a lot about the machines already."

He knew the bus would be passing at the stop in a few minutes so he bade his new boss (who refused to be called boss) goodbye and went his way. He could not wait to show off to Eunhye what he learned that day.


*********


Eunhye had been looking forward to the summer break because she would finally be free from the workloads always dumped on her. She would have the time to work on her game project which was slowly starting to take form. She took two classes during the summer semester which was all scheduled late in the afternoon so she would have plenty of time to sleep in or work on her project.

However, she hated it because Wonwoo was busy. He decided to take only a couple of courses during the semester, enough so he could have more free time for the fall semester and more hours in his part time job.

She stopped herself whenever she felt like coming over to his workplace. She did not want to be clingy and overly suspicious. Even though he said it was okay for her to come, she thought it would not be good for her to distract him while he worked.

It had been two weeks since he got his barista license and she could not forget the boyish grin on his face when he told her about it. She felt proud for him and promised to come one time so she could visit him. She found out there was a girl working in the same coffee shop that she had not met yet. When she asked Wonwoo how she looked like, he just shrugged and gave her the most basic descriptions ("Uh, she has a nose, two eyes, a mouth and I think she did have two ears, although most of the time they're covered by her hair...") which did not help at all. None of them had the SNS account for her to cyberstalk this coworker of his. Although she learned the girl worked the opening shift, and Wonwoo was one of the closers, she decided not to go there and trigger her overactive imagination.

"So which one is it going to be?" Hyoseob's voice pulled her back to the present. "The mountains or a camping ground near the beach?"

"Two votes for the mountains," she said.

Zico gave her an annoyed look. "It's summer."

"So?" Eunhye asked. "It's cool to camp in the mountains."

"The climbing trip will be very hot and tiring," her best friend argued. "And why is it two votes?"

"Because Wonwoo will surely vote the same thing I do," she replied with full confidence, crossing her arms in front of her.

"I vote beach," Zico told Hyoseob. He turned to Dean, who was lighting a cigarette. "You?"

"I'll go anywhere," he answered, disinterested. "But Jiho has a point. Come to think of it, I choose the beach."

All of them turned to Dongwook. "I hate bugs," he said. "So beach for me, too."

Zico clapped twice. "So it's decided. We're camping by the beach."

"Hang on," Eunhye stopped him. "Hyoseob didn't cast his vote yet."

They all looked towards Hyoseob who was taking note of their "meeting." Pressured, he shrugged. After a couple of seconds, he took Eunhye's hand. "Sorry, Eunhye-ya. I hate bugs, too."

Eunhye pouted but admitted defeat. "I'm not wearing a bikini, though."

"Ew!" Dongwook pretended to gag.

"Gross!" Zico yelled.

"Don't even put that image in my mind." Hyoseob dramatically held his temples and acted as if his head was hurting. "Oh no! It's stuck! Get it out of my head! Get it out! Ya. Let's do the mountains."

Eunhye just laughed at them. "I already set my mind to go to the beach." Hyoseob was pretending to get his eyes out of their sockets. "Stop that. Or I'll do it for you for real."

"We're going there by lunch time," Zico said. "We should decide who's riding with who. Yeol agreed to lend me his Benz."

Eunhye got up, interested at this new development. Chanyeol did not really let anyone else behind the wheel, let alone lend it to someone, especially Zico, who had the worst sense of direction. "He did?"

Zico wiggled his eyesbrows at her. "I lent him mine."

That made more sense but she set her mind about whose car they were riding. "Your sense of direction is worse than mine," she told Zico. "So we'll go with Dean."


*******


"Do we really have to go?" Wonwoo asked, not

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter