Chapter 24: Claustrophobia

Good To Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eunhye kept tapping on the elevator floor, wishing it to go faster. The awkward silence was so loud she almost screamed. She finally did when the lights suddenly went out and the lift stopped. When she realized she was in an elevator stuck in the air, she found it hard to breathe. Her hand reached for the person on her left, holding tight to Wonwoo's shirt. He turned, realized what was wrong and pulled her to him, burying her head on his chest.

"It's fine," he mused. "You're fine. I'm here."

Eunhye took a deep breath as the emergency light . Wonwoo her hair while he tried to reach for the emergency button. "Sunbae," he called to Mark. "I'm sorry. Can you reach for the emergency button?"

Mark did so, telling the hotel staff that the elevator was stuck. That was all he could do at that moment. That was probably all he could ever do now. She would no longer reach out for him whenever she would get scared. He pressed the button again with more urgency. He wanted to get out of there as soon as possible before he started to break things. "Please hurry, we have a claustrophobic person here."

"Wonwoo?" Eunhye whimpered. "Is it moving now?"

"Shhh," he said. "Just breathe. You're okay." 

Wonwoo hugged her tighter, not knowing what else to do but let her know he was there and that she was not alone. If she had said anything about this, he was willing to walk twenty four flights of stairs with her.

Eunhye welcomed Wonwoo's warmth, thanking heavens she was not alone when this happened. She didn't want him to see her like this but she could not help it. Focusing on his heartbeat, she counted them, trying to match her breathing with his. His hand on her hair helped, too. In a few moments, she felt her chest ease up, just like it did that night when he first walked her home.

Wonwoo felt her relax, and turned her face so he could look at her. The color had returned to her face but her cheeks were wet. "See? We're fine," he assured her, wiping the tears off her face. "They'll fix it." He turned to Mark. "Thanks, sunbae."

"I didn't do it for you."

"Thanks, anyway."

Eunhye buried her face back on Wonwoo's chest, squeezing his hand, feeling the tension. She was fine now but she still could not look at the walls, knowing she was still boxed in. The only comfort she found there was Wonwoo intertwining their fingers. It took another five minutes before the lights turned completely back on and their lift started to move. None of them let go until they were safely out of the elevator.

Two hotel personnel and a manager welcomed them, apologizing for the incident and promising them compensations. They were personally escorted by the manager to their assigned rooms, telling them refreshments would be sent up to their rooms in a bit. Mark said he was okay, entering his room and leaving the door open for Wonwoo.

"We appreciate it," Wonwoo told the manager, still holding Eunhye's hand. "Thank you for addressing the problem."

"We apologize again, sir. Please let us know if ever you need anything else."

Wonwoo entered the room, placing his bag on a corner. "Sunbaenim," he said. "I'll be back. I'll take the keycard with me."

There was no reply. Mark had gone to the bathroom. Wonwoo grabbed the keycard and pulled Eunhye with him to the room right across from theirs.

"How are you feeling?" He asked her, finally letting go, only to make her sit down on the bed.

"A bit nauseous," she answered truthfully, massaging her temple.

"Are you sure you don't want to take that pregnancy test again?"

She chuckled despite herself. "Just drop the baby thing, please. Lest someone else heard you."

Wonwoo dropped his body on the same bed, finally relaxing himself. He had been so worried and was now able to breathe. Seeing her like that made him feel they were one step closer to each other, as she opened up more about herself than she did before. Remembering something, he bit his lips together, trying to control himself. After a moment, he could not help it and grinned stupidly.

"What's that smirk for?" she asked.

He chuckled some more before answering. "You reached for me."

"Huh?"

He started to play with the sheets. "When the lights went out, you looked for me. Me."

Why did he suddenly look like a teenage girl talking to her longtime crush for the first time? Yet she had nothing to say because he was right. At times like those, she now looked for him. When the elevator shook, his name was the first thing that popped in her head and her hand reached out naturally.

"Just imagine how awkward it would be if I reached for Mark," she blurted out, the image suddenly running through her head as she said it. "Stupid elevator."

Wonwoo punched the bed and flicked h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter