Chapter 13: Good night, Sunbae

Good To Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"But you said you'd be sleeping over." Woo Zico whined with his whole body as he walked Eunhye and Wonwoo out of the apartment building. He turned to Wonwoo. "You. You're also welcome to stay. You live far away, you don't have a class tomorrow anyway."

Eunhye pried Zico's hand off Wonwoo's arm, snickering at her friend. She knew he was just asking them to stay because of what they had watched. He would be left alone in his house.

"It was your idea that we watch a horror movie," she reminded him. "You even brought other people into our date night."

"So sleep over," Zico repeated. 

"You're just scared," Eunhye said, not hiding her grin. She patted his face like she would when talking to a kid. "Those are not real, okay? Ghosts don't look like that in real life. If you see one, just flash them your tattoo."

"You have a tattoo?" Wonwoo asked, surprised. He wondered where and how had she seen them.

"It's all over his chest and arms," she explained. "He has to cover them with makeup every day to go to school." She turned to her friend. "We'll go now. If you're really scared, just call me. I won't answer anyway."

Zico cracked up and dropped the facade. He was not scared and just wanted to bug Eunhye about staying over. He pushed Eunhye towards Wonwoo and put his hands inside his pockets. "Take care of her, man."

"Thanks again, Sunbae," Wonwoo said as Zico walked back to the main entrance of the building.

They slowly walked to the bus stop. Eunhye felt as if Wonwoo wanted to ask her questions and she, herself, felt the urge to tell him about her friendship with the boys, but then she argued with herself that she did not need to explain anything to him. She honestly planned to sleep over, because her head had been occupied with this hoobae lately and she wanted to talk to Zico about it, or at least get some advice by pretending it was something else without having to tell him the whole story. But she was worried how it would look like to Wonwoo, who had every reason to think she slept around.

Wonwoo volunteered to wait for her bus before crossing the street for him to wait for his. It was late in the evening and the times between the buses were longer so they sat there waiting.

"So I ruined your date night, huh?"

Eunhye snorted. "Kinda. I was planning on jumping on Zico in a ghost costume in the middle of the night."

"You do sleep over his place, then?"

So the interrogation started, huh? "Sometimes," she answered honestly. "If not his place, it's Chanyeol's and he lives with his parents. Ever since middle school, we take turns, just to hang out."

"Did you ever sleep there with just the two of you?"

"Just ask what you really want to, Wonwoo. Stop beating around the bush."

Wonwoo sighed and looked away. He did not know how to phrase the words and was afraid what her answer might be. He also did not want to offend her about his pressing questions.

"Yes, I do stay over even if its just me and Zico," she said anyway. "But I sleep on the bed and he stays on the couch. Sometimes I sleep on the couch. We did sleep on the same bed, but that was way back in middle school and it was on a tatami mat. We were fourteen."

"You didn't have to explain," Wonwoo told her, although he appreciated that she cleared things out. It turned out that he was not wrong about her.

She stared at the distance, hoping the bus would come. "I know. I just don't want you to think or talk bad about me behind my back."

He looked surprised as if the idea never entered his head. "I would never do that."

Eunhye shrugged. "It wouldn't be the first time."

A bus came to a stop in front of them and Eunhye got up.

"Do you want me to take you home?" he asked.

She shook her head and smiled weakly. For both of their sakes, they should just stay away from each other. "Good night, Wonwoo."


**********


Eunhye should have known not to fall under Jeon Wonwoo's trap. Ever since she told him she forgave him about the drunk texts he sent her, he talked to her even more. 

It had been harder for her to keep him off her mind. He would sometimes send weird texts to her which she never replied to, although she found some of them funny. She would not admit it to him straight up, but their sense of humor matched. There would also be times he would send her quotes from some books he read, and she would recognize some of them. More and more, she had been looking forward to seeing him and she hated herself for it.

Their classes had been normal and he had always been asking stupid things to get her attention, but recently, he openly stayed around after dismissal with the most absurd excuses. It came up to the point that Eunhye, herself, left the tech lab as soon as the bell rang, faster than the students, just so she could avoid talking to him alone. It was easy to ignore his texts but when he talked to her out in public, she could not just not answer.

"Sunbae," Soonyoung approached her, after getting a push from Wonwoo after one afternoon class they had. It was the two weeks after the drunk texts incident. "Do you wanna come with us to Karaoke?"

She smiled brightly at the kid, whose eyes disappeared as he shyly smiled at their TA. "Today?" Soonyoung nodded. "Too bad, I already made plans with some of my friends. Maybe next time."

"You said that last time," Wonwoo interrupted. "Sunbae," he added at the last minute.

"Maybe if you give me a year notice, I can make time," she snapped at him. When she turned back to Soonyoung, her smile was back again. "I'm really sorry."

"Hanbin said you came with them last week," Wonwoo argued. 

That was because you weren't there, she wanted to say. "I was free, then." Her phone rang, and she had never been more happy to see Zico's name pop up on the screen. She answered it, using it as an excuse to ignore Wonwoo as she made her way out the door. "Hi, babe."

"Eww," the guy said on the other line upon hearing her sweet voice. She did not need to see his face to know what he looked like at the time. "Chanyeol got us a reservation in the study cafe. He's there already. I'm in the parking lot. Is your class over?"

"Yep, on my way."

Wonwoo and Soonyoung watched their sunbae disappear down the hall. When Soonyoung saw the look on his friends face, he patted Wonwoo on the shoulder.

"Out of your league, man."

**********


Wonwoo and Soonyoung almost did not make it to the last bus running to their neighborhood. They made a good decision to move closer to the university. They did not have to worry about curfew anymore. They made some good excuse with Seun

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter