Chapter 44: Cold Eyes

Good To Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eunhye dreamed she was in the Han River. It was dark and suffocating. The lack of air made feel dry. She knew how to swim but her legs and hands were not working. Drowning was the worst way to die. She should have jumped off a building instead of the bridge. Even to her death, she was stupid.

This was what you wanted. You wanted to be gone. They don't need you anymore. There's nothing else you can do. It's over.

No, you can't. You'll hurt them again. Yunho. Chanyeol Zico Hani Sunmi Baekhyun Sehun Dean Yukwon Hyoseob Dongwook Mark. Wonwoo.

When she thought about him, she looked up. There he was, standing on the bridge, looking down at her.

Help. I forgot how to swim.

"I get it now," he said. And then he walked away, out of her sight. Out of her life.

No. Don't turn away like he did. Wonwoo!

She tried to reach out but her arms would not cooperate. She was drowning again. Was she too late? How long had she been in the water anyway? Did Wonwoo know how to swim? What if he jumped in to save her and she just ended up drowning him with her? She should let him walk away while he still could, right?

But why did her heart hurt?

"Eunhye, wake up."

Hani? Hani knew how to swim. She should be able to help her so she could run after Wonwoo and tell him what happened. 

Hani, I can't move.

"Jung Eunhye, please!" Hani's voice was frantic. Why? Was it too late for her to save Eunhye? "Wake up!"

Eunhye opened her eyes, feeling like she ran a triathlon, which was weird because she never liked sports. She had been drowning.

"You scared me there. Geez." Hani saw she was awake and pulled her into a hug. She wiped the cold sweat off Eunhye's forehead and studied her. "What were you dreaming about?"

"Hangang."

"Oh my god," she cried. She knew Eunhye never dreamed about that again since she heard about Lee Junki getting the Hero's award. "This is about that trash, again, isn't it? What did he tell you this time?"

She shook her head. "No. It's not him. Yeah, maybe it's him. I don't know."

Hani was panicking and she knew it. Her hands were fidgeting around her, and she thought about her phone, but then remembered she left it in her room the moment she heard Eunhye screaming. Eunhye reached for her hand.

"Don't worry. I'm okay," she assured her. "It's just that Wonwoo heard us talking, and he must have overheard the part about... the baby."

"Sh*t."

Eunhye covered her face with her hand, running them against her cheeks to get herself to wake up. "He walked away and I could not find him anywhere last night. He would not return my calls. He read my texts but he never replied." He blocked my number.

"Do you want me to tell him what happened?" she offered. "I'm sure you can't get yourself to talk about it."

"No. It has to be me. I have to tell him about it. I promised him I'd tell him when I'm ready. I'm far from that but I can't lose him, Hani. Not like this."

"Oh, babe," Hani said, wiping a tear off her own eye before pulling Eunhye into another hug. "Let me know if you need me to be there. I'll come running."

"I know. I'll talk to him later at school."


*****


"Are you sure there's nothing that can change your mind?" Myungsoo asked her when she told him she was resigning as TA next semester.

The two of them were at the cafeteria, having lunch before their graduate class, which happened to be Professor Lee's. Eunhye considered ditching but then that meant that fifty percent of the population of their class would be missing.

"I need time for myself," she answered honestly. 

He sighed. "This is why I don't want to date while in school."

"It's not about that."

Myungsoo snorted quite loudly. "Let me guess, you're in a fight, aren't you?" Eunhye just rolled her eyes in response. "Otherwise, he'd either be here or you'd be wherever he is."

That was true. More of her friends knew about her newly found love and they had been leaving her alone, which was in contrast to what she expected. It did not mean that they did not notice her absence. There was no one to pick on anymore.

"And that drama with Professor Lee," Myungsoo went on. "You always look like he stole your rights to a program or something."

Eunhye choked on the cucumber juice she was drinking. "What made you say that?"

He shrugged. "I don't know. I think that would get you to be as mad as you seem to be. I know how attached you are to your programs. If Wonwoo made you pick between him and your game, which one would you choose?"

She got up, taking her half finished meal with her. "I'm not going to class," she announced. After that little confrontation with Professor Lee, she had not talked to him again. She had no desire to. "Please tell him I'm sick."

"In the head, obviously," he muttered, picking his own tray and stacking it on top of hers. He saw Eunhye stop at the huge door of the cafeteria.

She was on her way out when she came face to face with Wonwoo. She had not seen him at all since he walked out on her and her heart clenched at the mere sight of him. His eyes were cold as he just gave her a quick glance and walked past her. She grabbed his arm, forcing him to face her. Eunhye did not care that he was with his classmates or that the other people in the cafeteria could see and talk about a TA and her student dating. The thought of him breaking up with her scared her more than other people knowing about their relationship. She needed to talk to him.

Wonwoo's eyes went even colder when he looked from her face to her hand on his arm. A corner of his mouth curled up in a smirk. He did not need to say anything to her because she could tell by the way he looked at her how disgusted he was. She dropped her hand. At that, Wonwoo went on his way, not even turning to look at her once.

"Uh," Myungsoo cleared his throat. "I'm heading to class. Are you really not going?"

As if she did not hear him, Eunhye's feet started to move and she ran. She could not see where she was going and she did not really care where her feet took her. She just had to get away from all of it.

That look in his eyes were the ones she had feared she would see once he knew the truth. She could not tell him because she was afraid he would judge her like all those other people who knew before him. How could he not? He got her to bed the very first day they met. Wonwoo, of all people, saw what kind of a girl she was. And he was right.


*************


Chanyeol walked down the hall towards Cyber Lab 17. He had to complain to Eunhye about the extra loads he would be getting now that she was going to resign. They both major on Game Design and Programming so they would need all the time they could get for their final project, which turned out to be individual work instead of the initial instructions of it being a group thing. That part, he agreed to. He knew full well why she needed it to be an individual project.

He was surprised to see Kim Myungsoo, on her work station that morning. It had been over a week since he saw Eunhye outside of class, and it was because he was letting her live her lovelife.

"Where is she?" Chanyeol mouthed, standing by the doorway and gettin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter