Chapter 23: Emergency Room

Good To Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Eunhye-sunbae's in the Emergency Room," Soonyoung said, checking his phone to check his facts. "In the ******** Hospital. That's bad. But that means we don't have to-- Wonwoo-ya! Where are you going?"

Wonwoo ran to the closest exit of the campus, flagging a taxi right away and telling the driver the name of the hospital. It was a close one so he got there in five minutes but there were a lot of people so he had a hard time finding her.

"Wonwoo?" Sana was standing in front of a vending machine, looking for something to drink when she found her classmate rrushing past her.

"Did you see Eunhye?" he asked, panting. "Where is she?"

She was the one who announced what happened to their TA in their class Katalk room and their class rep, Kim Hanbin, replied that they just cancel the class and he would inform the teachers about it. 

"She's still in the ER."

When Wonwoo got there, he found her lying on the bed, unconscious, a nurse taking a sample of her blood. He recognized the other person standing on the other side of the bed.

"What happened?" Wonwoo asked Mark.

"Sana said she fainted," Mark answered. "I don't know what happened either. We just got here so they're still going to run some tests."

"We'll get back to you once we have the results," the nurse said. She was about to leave with Eunhye's blood sample when Wonwoo stopped her.

"Excuse me," he said. He scratched the back of his head, wondering how he would ask his question. "Will that test show if she's...pregnant?"

"If you're suspecting pregnancy, we can put in a request," the nurse said, nodding.

"Thank you."

"Are you the guardian?"

Wonwoo nodded. "Yes."

She handed him a form. "Please fill this up and hand it to someone at the Nurse's station. Make sure to let them know it's for Jung Eunhye."

"I understand," he said taking it, although he had no idea why he would need to emphasize who they were for. When the nurse was gone, Wonwoo stared at the paper. He had no idea what to put there other than her name, and probably the seafood allergy. The forms were taken away from him, though.

"Give me that." Mark took it and went to the small desk beside the ER bed. He filled every single box, including a long list of allergies Wonwoo had never heard of. He even checked the box where it asked if she had records in that hospital before. "Here," he said, handing it back to Wonwoo after he was done writing. "Just jot down your name as the guardian, I didn't know how to spell it. They said to give it to them."

Standing straight and biting his lower lip, Wonwoo accepted the paper and walked over to the nurse's station. He went back right away, checking on Eunhye's temperature. She was cold.

The nurse came back with an IV drip, explaining they she showed signs of dehydration. Wonwoo figured she had been throwing up again because he made sure he finished her food the other night. She kept complaining that he nagged her even though it was not in the position to but she listened to him anyway.

"Why did you ask for a pregnancy test?" Mark said after several minutes, breaking the silence.

Wonwoo was about to say something but Eunhye suddenly moved. "Why is everything so loud?" She opened her eyes. "Wonwoo?"

Wonwoo's face softened, although he was still worried because her voice sounded weak. He did not like to see her like this. "Hi."

Eunhye looked around and felt the blood drain on her face. At least what's left of them anyway. "Where am I?" Wonwoo told her the name of the hospital. "WHAT? Why?!"

"I brought you here," Mark said, stepping into her view. "It was the closest one. You fainted, Hye."

She rolled her eyes, wincing at the sight of the IV drip. She did not really mind the needle, she had so many before, but that meant she would need to finish the whole drip before she could be sent home. Besides, she should be in any other hospital but this.

"I hope he's not here," she muttered.

"Eunhye," Mark called, snapping her attention back to him. "Why did he ask for a pregnancy test?"

"Who?" she asked, puzzled.

"Me," Wonwoo answered.

"YOU WHAT?!" Eunhye could not help but raise her voice. "Why would you do that?"

"What do you mean why?" he asked as if she asked him why the sky was blue. "You never tell me anything. It's been over a month since we--" Wonwoo was not able to finish what he was about to say when a fist connected with his face.

"Oppa!" Sana came running, dropping the coffee she brought with her, pulling Mark away from Wonwoo. 

"Stop it, Mark!" Eunhye said, helplessly trying to get up but the IV tube tugged on her skin. Wonwoo was about to get up from his seat but she grabbed his arm, pulling him towards her. "Wonwoo, don't."

Wonwoo pried her hand off him, determined to get back at Mark. With a wince, Eunhye reached farther with both hands, pulling him back. He saw the blood on the tube and immediately sat back down on her bed, feeling her grip tighten on his arm.

"Go away, Mark," Eunhye said, examining Wonwoo's face. "Just go."

Mark shook Sana off him and walked away. He recognized a tall figure in doctor's clothes on his way out and bowed slightly but walked on even if the doctor was about to talk to him.

"Jung Eunhye?"

"Oh god, it's here," she muttered.

The doctor Mark just bumped into came and threw the curtain separating her from the rest of the ER. Dr. Jung Yunho came with a paper in his hand and fire in his eyes. "Ya. Jung Eunhye. Can you explain this pregnancy test?"

"Oppa that's...." she tried to look for the right words. Wonwoo tensed up and she squeezed his hand again, realized she was still holding it and finally let go, slightly pushing him off her bed. "T-That was a prank someone else asked for. I-It's gonna come out negative anyway. I have my period right now."

The surprise on Wonwoo's face was too obvious, Eunhye almost burst out laughing. However, the sight of her older brother slightly crumpling her lab results held her sense of humor in place.

"That would explain the anemia," Jung Yunho said. "But not the request. Is that why Mark walked away without saying hello? Did you want a different result?"

"We're not together anymore."

"Oh." Her brother's expression changed from angry to confused then sad. He thought his sister was happy with the guy. He was all she ever talked about whenever they met. He handed her the results. "Anemia. But then that's most likely because it's your cycle. I'll need you to take those meds and come back here a week after you cycle's over. I'll set you up an appointment with Yoojin-sunbae. I told you to sleep properly. Are you still gaming?"

"I'll create games for a living," she replied.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter