Chapter 69: First Love

Good To Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


No matter how much Eunhye told herself that nothing changed, the moment she went to Zico's apartment, it did not feel the same. She hesitated in front of the door, her hand automatically reaching out to enter the four digits that were very familiar but she stopped halfway. For five years that Zico lived there, it was her birthdate which unlocked it. He had originally set it as 1111 but his mom nagged him for it and changed it for him. This was the first time after she learned about Zico's feelings that she was going into his place, and she wondered if the story behind the passcode was true.

Should she press the doorbell?

She never had to before. Even when Zico was dating, she came and went as she pleased. There would be times she did it on purpose, hoping she would find Seolhyun there and it would get him in trouble, especially since she was against their relationship. Back then, she strongly believed Jieun should be the one on Zico's side. Now, she started to doubt if that was the real reason she did not like Zico's ex. Even though the two of them already talked about it, and settled where they stood with each other's feelings, she was starting to doubt hers.

Making her mind up, she put the lock combination in. It did not take.

Zico had changed the code.

She pressed the doorbell, instead. A minute later, Zico came to the door. "You're here."

Eunhye held out the take out bags she brought with him. "I brought dumplings."

He just opened the door wider and went inside his apartment without any words of invitation, which would have been more awkward if she thought about it. Eunhye took a deep breath before letting herself in, the place that used to be her second home now feeling foreign. Even though she tried not to, in her mind played a lot of memories they had spent there.

When she first spent a night with Mark in his place after their one year anniversary, she ran to Zico's. She felt weird about the intimacy (or more likely, lack thereof) that she had with Mark and made a mistake of thinking Zico would be able to explain to her why she felt that way even though she loved the guy. He had told her she was holding onto her dark past too much and should be fair to Mark. He kicked her out, saying it would be very wrong for Mark to wake up without her beside him, even though he never really approved of her then boyfriend. How much did that hurt her best friend, knowing she had spent the night with someone else?

She felt him flick her forehead as if he had been listening in to her thoughts, not giving mercy and hitting her like he would hit their male friends. "Ya. Stop being weird."

They went inside his room where his personal computer was. She saw his neatly arranged bed, and her thoughts went once more to that night. Why did she even think about sleeping over Zico's after giving herself to Mark? Back then, she was scared of having too many lustful thoughts and wanted to be with someone she did not have to be romantically involved with.

"Wanna try it one time?" Zico asked, sitting on it and tapping the area beside him. "I bet I'll be better at it than Wonwoo."

Eunhye grabbed a nearby manhwa volume and threw it at her friend. 

"You were staring at my bed," he laughed, putting the manhwa back where it was on the desk. He looked up at her as she stood there without saying anything for a long time.

"Jiho, I'm sorry."

He rolled his eyes. Here comes the drama again, he thought. "Sorry for what?"

"For everything," she answered, her voice cracking. "For not knowing, and for the hurt that has caused you. I got too comfortable and did not even stop to think what my actions could have done to you. It must have been very difficult for you whenever I slept over."

"Yeah, it was," he agreed. "You never make the bed and you always raid my fridge. That's why I stopped stocking ice creams"

Eunhye laughed, despite herself. "And for making you clean up my mess every time. You were right, I only came to you when things went bad. I'm the worst friend ever."

"Ya. Why are you getting so serious all of a sudden?" Zico got up and wrapped his arms around her, burying her face in his chest so she could hide her tears--like the hundred times he did when he saw her crying. "Please don't change anything. I'm still your friend."

"I'm still sorry."

"I'm not," he told her. "And I don't regret falling in love with you back then, because that was probably what you needed at the time. It worked for the best, right? I don't feel that way towards you anymore, and now you have Wonwoo."

"But you don't have anyone."

"Uh, ouch?"

"You lost Jieun because of me."

"I lost Jieun because of me," he corrected. "I was the coward who was too scared to acknowledge how I felt for her. If anything, all you ever told me was to pursue her and I didn't listen."

"Yeah, because you're stupid."

Zico laughed again. He pulled away and laughed some more as she wiped her tears. "Why are you like this? Is it that time of the month?"

She nodded. Her friend knew her too well. "Sorry."

He offered his fist for a bump. "We're family. Stop feeling so sorry. I might get into trouble, one day, too and I will need you there for me."

Eunhye hugged his waist. "I'll be there when that time comes. I love you, Jiho-ya."

"I know." He also knew what kind of love it was and he smiled. This time, that was all Zico felt, too, and it was much better. "What do you say we get started so we can finish early?"

"I'm hungry," Eunhye muttered. "Let's eat the dumplings, first."

That was exactly what they did. They ended up ordering ddeokbokki, as well, and soon Eunhye felt stupid for being such a drama queen. Zico was the same. She should not have doubted herself. Respecting Zico's sacrifice was the least she could do.

"Did I make your feelings for Wonwoo waver, though?" Zico's voice brought her to the present. She glared at him but he just laughed at her. "I was just curious."

"No," she replied. "But I doubted the Seolhyun thing. I don't know why I really hated her, even though before you dated her, I thought she was okay."

"You were jealous," Zico answered, fully confident. He saw her reaching for the last dumpling but expertly flicked her chopsticks with his and got it for himself. "Because you're selfish and want everything for yourself. It was even worse with Chanyeol. You say you don't care if he dated, but you're extra grumpy whenever he could not make it because he was with a girlfriend. I always have to take the brunt for it. I'm not your punching bag, you know."

"He has even worse taste than you," Eunhye said defensively. "Especially that foreign model who was obviously just dating him so she could show him off to her model friends. What was her name again?"

"I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter