Chapter 16: Zero

Good To Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They rode the bus in silence for about fifteen minutes, until Wonwoo leaned in and pressed the button. She almost thought he was up to no good again and tried to avoid him. She looked around, and recognized the place to be near the Han River. They got off there, and Wonwoo led her to a burger stand.

"I'm getting a cheeseburger," he said. "You?"

She shook her head. "I'm not eating."

"Two cheeseburgers please," he told the person behind the stand anyway. After paying for them, he turned to her. "They make the best ones."

"You sound like Zico," she muttered.

After a few minutes, the guy handed Wonwoo two huge cheeseburgers and two tall cups of Cola. Eunhye winced, thinking about the amount of sugar on there. He had it To-Go, and he told her to go on as he carried all the food. It was a school night, and there were a few people in the area at the time. Wonwoo chose a spot close to the bridge. Eunhye remained standing, taking in the night view.

He handed her one of the drinks. "Zero."

Confused, she turned to him with a questioning look.

"Mingyu said you only drink Zero." He pushed the drink in her hand. He took his outer shirt off and spread it on the grass. "Sit down."

"There's a park closer to our neighborhood," she said, again letting herself do what Wonwoo told her to. "Why did you have to drag me all the way here?"

"They don't have that burger joint."

It felt good to feel the soft night air on her face after being stuck in an airconditioned room all day long, and it was thoughtful of him to bring her there, she would give him that. She sat down a good foot away from him, using the food as an excuse, putting it in between them. She sipped on the Coke, tasting the familiar bland beverage. Touched by the gesture, a small smile came to her face and she looked away to hide it.

"Wow." Wonwoo took a bite out of his burger and made the most satisfied look. He picked the other burger, and offered it to her. "I'll eat all of this if you don't."

"Eat all of it, then," she said. She thought he was going to give up feeding her when he put the untouched burger back in the paper bag. He took another huge bite out of his, but then offered it to her as well. Appalled at being offered a bitten-off burger, she shook her head.

"At least one bite," he insisted. "C'mon."

That sentence usually worked the other way around, when asking for someone else's food, not when offering one's own. He folded the foil and exposed the burger more, offering a side he did not bite on. Giving up and counting the other times he manipulated her into doing something he wanted, she took a small bite. It was actually good.

"See?"

"I can't eat all of that," she said, pointing to the burger. "Just give that to your roommates or something."

"I have five other people I share the house with," he answered. "If I bring one, the other four will get mad." He took the burger out again and handed it to her. "I'll eat all of them, don't worry."

Eunhye hated leaving food behind, though, so she cut the burger in half. When she took another bite, she realized her last meal was lunch and that was nine hours ago. They ate quietly for some time, with Wonwoo occassionally humming a song as he flipped through his phone, watching gameplays. She made sure none of the dressing or the cheese would get smeared on her face, in case Wonwoo did something that would give her another heart attack. Without knowing it, she picked up the other half of the burger and was eating it.

While Wonwoo was absorbed with his phone, watching yet another game video, Eunhye looked around. If it was over a year ago, she would be with someone else around these places. There was a spot not far away from where she sat now, where she remembered telling Mark about her plans on going through with the exchange-student program. He had supported her, then, telling her it would be a good experience for her. Looking back, she wondered if he really rooted for her, or he already started seeing someone else then. What would she have done if he told her not to leave? Back in the TA room, she, too, had a lot to tell Mark. However, she did not see any point in talking when she had decided not to go back to how they were. They would not be able to, anyway. Not now.

"You could have let him explain, you know."

She was suprised when Wonwoo broke the silence. It was also not the first time that she wondered if he had telepathic abilities.

"That would answer a lot of questions on your head," he went on. "It's better than guessing."

Eunhye stared at the river. "It won't change anything anyway."

"How do you know?"

Because I might have found someone else, she thought. "I just do."

"What if you just misunderstood the situation?"

She had already asked herself that question multiple times every time Mark's number came up on her caller ID.

"Maybe I did," she said, sighing loudly. Trying to distract herself, she chewed on the left over ice cubes on her drink. "Maybe one day, I'll hear him out. But not yet." 

She almost expected him to say something but he waited for her to talk more. There were so much stuff she could not to talk to her other friends about. Even though her friends were trustworthy ones, there were things she would like to keep to herself. She could already see both Hani's and Chanyeol's reaction if she told them what she really felt. With Wonwoo, though, she was not sure what he would say or if he would even care. For some reason, though, she felt like she could talk to him.

"While we were apart actually made me realize I needed time for myself," she began. "Back then we did almost everything together. We had a lot of common interests which was how we actually found each other."

He was pulling at the grass and throwing them at the wind, so she got distracted for a bit. "Go on," he urged when he realized she stopped talking. He opened the lid to his drained cup and chewed on some ice cubes.

"But I was bad at communicating," she went on. "I'm not sure how much of it you heard back there. But I was pretty bad at keeping in touch while I was in Japan. Days would go by and I would realize I hadn't called him yet. I would be so wrapped up with the schoolwork that I would go on for hours without looking at my phone. He rarely complained, though, so I thought it was okay. I guess, he was busier than me."

"Did you meet anyone? In Japan?"

"You mean like he did?" she asked. "No. I never gave a thought about dating even if I met some good people. I had him. At least I thought I did."

"You realize that's just one side of the story, right?"

For someone four years younger than her, he sounded like the more mature person in the conversation. If she looked at it, she sounded like a whining kid. It was almost as if he was taking Mark's side, but she knew what he was saying was right. Both Chanyeol and Hani had told her not to talk to Mark ever again, which was the exact opposite of what Wonwoo was suggesting.

"There's someone else in the picture now," Wonwoo went on. The last statement made her wonder who he was talking about. "I'm not really friends with her, but Sana isn't a bad person."

"I didn't say she was." The younger girl might even be the bigger victim than her. "And I'm totally fine if they go out."

He gave her a sideway glance. "Yeah, right." He started packing their garbage up.

"I'm serious," she said, again looking at a distan

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter