Chapter 40: Destroyer

Good To Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Before going in her Tech Lab class that day, Eunhye put on her usual poker face. Her eyes immediately fell on one student who sat at the very front row, right across her own work station. Wonwoo had the same face on. This was their routine now whenever they had a class. Making it official made both of them sort of feel guilty. This time, though, she felt another pair of knowing eyes on her.

"Good morning, Sunbae," Soonyoung greeted, his smile brighter than usual. His eyes reminded her of a clock striking 10:10.

"Morning," she replied . 

She allowed them a few minutes to settle down before explaining to them what their activity for the day would be. The class was already used to her pace by now and it was almost immediately that they started working on the activity. 

"Sunbae," Wonwoo called her attention some time later. "This formula does not bring the output."

Eunhye did not bother to leave her seat. He made it sound like it was the formula's fault that he was getting an error. Wonwoo's face was serious but she had a feeling he did not actually have a question. "Which formula?"

"The one in number 16."

There was no way he was that far through the activity. Even Soonyoung lifted his head to give Wonwoo a shocked look. Rolling her eyes, Eunhye got up and went over to check his computer. "Show me."

"Show you what?"

She flicked his ear. There would be times like this that Wonwoo would do something just to get her to go to him. "Run the script."

"Oh, that," he muttered and went to do exactly that. It ran into an error just like he said. 

She went back to his codes and scanned them, ignoring how Wonwoo rested his chin on his hand to shamelessly stare at her. She found some of the code sequences were interchanged. "Your work on step 13 have some problems. Go through it again please. And the period is 3 hours long, you don't have to rush it. Show off." She mouthed that last part, and he just chuckled, subtly brushing hands with her when he took control over the mouse.

There was a knock on the door, and she immediately stepped away from Wonwoo's work station--a reflex reaction. Mark Tuan was there at the door which she usually leave open when she had classes. She almost had a sense of deja vu, but he was not alone.

Wonwoo watched Eunhye's face go white as a sheet of paper. He looked at the door and saw her ex standing there along with a tall man with sharp eyes, wearing a suit. He turned his eyes back to his girlfriend, wondering why she would react like that after all these days. Was she that guilty that they were now dating?

"Good morning, guys," Mark said to the class before turning back to Eunhye. "I was just showing Prof. Lee around. Am I interrupting anything?"

She just stared at him.

"We're just starting an activity, Sunbaenim," Wonwoo answered for her. "Nothing major."

Mark turned to the man he called Prof. Lee, gesturing to the whole class. "This is class 2-1. They are in prep for the Computer Programming major. Guys, this is Professor Lee Junki. He will be joining the faculty next week."

The man nodded, slightly entering the room so he could take a quick look. His eyes then fell on the TA who seemed to have lost her tongue. Recognition spread across his face.

"Sunbae?" Mark called, trying to get her attention. Seeing she was not reacting to anything, he excused himself from the professor and went over to her. "What's wrong, Hye?"

When Mark put a hand on Eunhye's arm to get her to look at him, Wonwoo stood up from his seat, subtly pulling her behind him.

"What is he doing here?" she breathed, barely audible.

Shock registered on Mark's face. "What are you talking about? Why are you acting like that?"

Wonwoo cleared his throat. "Sunbae, we're in a class," he said quietly.

"Exactly," Mark answered. "Look at her. She's--"

"Sorry," Eunhye said, stepping away from both of them. "I-I need to..." Without finishing her sentence, she left the room, exiting through the other door.

"Ya, Jung Eunhye!" Mark and Wonwoo said after her at the same time.

"-Sunbae," Wonwoo added a second too late.

"Can you take care of your class?" Mark asked him. "I have to take care of--" He turned to the door where he left their new teacher but he was not there.

********


"Stop."

Eunhye kept walking fast. She never thought she would hear that voice again. The last time she heard about him, he went to serve in the military and she hoped he would get lost in the 38th Parallel or something. She felt someone pull on her arm and she was forced to turn. She kept her eyes on the ground, refusing to look at the man.

"Get your hands off her."

She looked up to see her friend, Park Chanyeol, walking over with long strides. When he got to her side, he jerked her away from the new professor, using his whole body as a shield between them.

"Don't you ever touch her again," he warned. "Ever."

Lee Junki stood to his full height as well, surprised that his old student now towered over him. His eyes went back and forth between the two of them. "I did not know you two go here. I'll be one of your teachers starting next week."

"Does the Board know what you did?" Chanyeol asked, not fazed. "Why would they let you--"

"Yeol." Eunhye tugged on Chanyeol's shirt. "Don't. Let's just go."


***********


"Should we just go?" Momo asked, saving her work. 

It had been over three hours and their TA had not returned yet. Most of them had been done with their work but still unsure whether they could leave or not. Naturally, the room was filled with student chatter.

"Her phone's turned off," Wonwoo muttered, feeling the need to punch something. "Yeah, guys, just go ahead. She usually let us leave as soon as we're done anyway."

"If she give us a pop quiz next meeting, we're blaming you," Hanbin said, patting him on the shoulder before picking his stuff up and leaving the class first.

"Dude?" Soonyoung said. He was also done with his work. "You should go look for her. She did not look good earlier. Is she sick, or something?"

"I honestly don't know." 

He looked around and found just three or four students still working on theirs. In his hurry, he went over each of them and helped them out so they could all go. When it was just him and Soonyoung, he opened Eunhye's pedestal where he knew she kept her keys. Aside from the keys, he found her dead phone. It probably turned off eventually after all the calls he had tried.

"I'll go first, okay," Soonyoung told him, seeing the look on his face. "If I see her, I'll let you know."

"Thanks, man." 


**********


"How can they let him join the faculty?" Chanyeol said, hands balled into a fist. He completely abandoned his class, gave them some sort of Take-Home activity and ran when he read the email about the new teacher. Glad that he brought his car with him, he got Eunhye in and drove away from there so they would never even bump into the man again. He was not sure how far he should go but when he saw the sea, he pulled over. "He should never be allowed near students after what he did to you."

"Stop it."

"Shouldn't that be in his records?" her friend went on. He ran another angry hand through his hair, his forehead creasing so much he looked like he was ready to murder someone. "Does going to Military Service magically erase your criminal record?"

"We lost, remember? There's no criminal record."

"Was that because he was given the Presidential award?" Chanyeol was mostly talking to himself now. "Who cares if he prevented a cyber attack? He's still a douchebag who takes advantage of--"

"Chanyeol, please, stop!" Eunhye covered her ears. "I don't want to hear about any of it anymore."

"Hye, we have to do something. If he becomes a teacher, you'll see him again. You had a panic attack earlier. Imagine just

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter