Chapter 68: Like the First Date

Good To Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Wonwoo woke up when he felt Eunhye stir. He opened his eyes and found her turning her body so she was facing him, but went right back to sleep. Unlike him, she was fully dressed and he guessed she got up some time during the night. His hand automatically reached out and smoothed the crease on her forehead, caressing her cheek.

He would never get tired of waking up and seeing her beside him. She looked so beautiful, especially when her eyes and cheeks were a bit puffy from sleep. He thought back to what Seungheon said about the darkness that she hid inside her. Wonwoo knew what that was about, and he was glad that Eunhye shared it with him. At first, he thought it was a bit unfair that she had all those past experiences with relationships, while all Wonwoo had was a one-sided first love back in high school, but realized that everything must have happened for a reason. It also nagged at him that Seungheon thought she never loved him, because that same fear recently came to Wonwoo. Eunhye never told him she loved him, and even though Wonwoo promised himself he would never force her to say it, he was still expectant.

She must have felt his eyes on her because she opened hers and looked at him. She closed them right back and snuggled closer, burying her face against his chest.

"Stop staring," she murmured. She was sure her face was bloated after the late night ramyeon. She woke up around two in the morning because of her growling stomach and fixed herself some. Wonwoo slept like a log so she let him ate alone.

Wonwoo wrapped his arms around Eunhye tighter and kissed the top of her head.

"Eunhye."

"Hmm?"

"I love you," he murmured.

"Movie date later?"

There it was again. The lack of response. But then he remembered the plans they had for that day and he chuckled, a silly smile creeping up his face. Finally it would just be the two of them. "Do you want to get ready and go to my place?"

"Let's just meet up at the mall," she replied.

It had been a while since they had an actual date and she wanted to dress up for the occasion. It was probably the hardcore otaku in her again or she had been influenced by the shoujo manga's she had been reading recently, but she wanted to feel that moment when they met outside like it was the first time they were going on a date.

"You're imagining something again," Wonwoo noted, seeing the look on her face. "Are you going to come an hour late, run towards me and say, 'Sorry to keep you waiting,' or something like that?"

She cackled in laughter because that was exactly what she had in mind.

"Ya. Let's not waste time like that, okay?" he said, although he was laughing with her. Wonwoo would not admit it to anyone but his dating experiences were all from watching anime like that, which was why that picture came to mind when he saw the smirk on her face. He suddenly wanted to be surprised with how she would dress up for this movie date. "Fine. Let's meet at the mall."


*****


It was the first time Eunhye spent almost an hour stressing over which dress to wear. She thought about asking him about what color he would wear so she could somehow match with him but she thought that would ruin it. She even raided Sunmi's closet and borrowed a blouse from her because she was not confident about any of her pieces.

Eunhye hated being late. She hated it more if she knew someone was waiting for her somewhere, which was why despite her fantasies about a shoujo-manga style date, she came ten minutes early to where she and Wonwoo agreed to meet. She thought it was better that she wait for him instead of the other way around.

But when she got there, she saw Wonwoo standing by the door just outside the branch of Starbucks, waiting. He stood there without a care that almost all the girls were looking at him. His short sleeved cerulean button down over his white shirt tucked in his faded jeans could have been an every day look but he still stood out with his broad shoulders and toned arms. She watched him look up from his phone and glance around absentmindedly. When their eyes met, he did a double take.

For a quick moment, she considered pretending to be someone else and run, go home and change into a plain black t-shirt and skinny jeans, instead of the light purple floral blouse Sunmi insisted she wore, tucked inside a short white skater skirt. Her feet felt because it had been a while since she went out of the house wearing sandals instead of her usual sneakers. Should she have kept her hair down? Should she have set her loose braid on the right side instead of the left? Her make up was light but she suddenly felt every particle of the beauty products on her face.

Pocketing his phone, Wonwoo walked over to her with a smile on his face.

"I almost did not recognize you," he told her.

Her cheeks turned pink and it had nothing to do with the cheek tint she put on. "Shut up," she said shyly, one hand clutching harder around the strap of her small shoulder bag. "Why are you here already?"

"Because I know you'll come early."

Wonwoo lifted his hand so he could tuck a loose lock behind her ear. Not able to contain the affection bubbling in his chest, he pulled her into a brief hug before pushing her at arm's length to get another look at her while his hand rested on her shoulder.

"You look nice," he said, another silly smile on the corner of his mouth. "I get now why you wanted to meet here."

Eunhye groaned in embarrassment. She was sure she should have gone with something she was used to wearing. Her clothes were comfortable enough, and it was not that she was not confident about how she looked. She was just not used to showing Wonwoo this side of her. The feminine side.

Taking her hand in his, he went inside the cafe to get their coffee before heading to the movies. She did not need to tell him what she wanted to drink. He ordered two grande iced americanos, one with the extra shot of espresso.

They went to the board where it showed which movies were showing that day and her eyes fell on one particular movie she had been waiting for. She really wanted to see it but felt that she might need to watch it alone when it was available because it might be too boring for a movie date. When she turned to Wonwoo, she saw him squinting at the titles. There were three other movies in lineup and he was checking them out.

"What is 'Dunkirk'?" he muttered to himself, pulling his phone up to search for it. It was the only English movie that was up.

"During World War II, some soldiers tried to evacuate towards the town Dunkirk after some battle with the German forces."

"Wow. That's almost exactly how it's said in the internet." Wonwoo looked at the movie banner and then to her and saw the hopeful look in her eyes. He dropped his gaze to his phone again and read the reviews. A war movie. It was something Wonwoo would watch when he was alone but not on a date night because most girls would find it boring.

"It's a story about an evacuation," she went on. "And inspired by real time events during the World War II."

He was still reading his phone so she turned her attention back to the titles, trying to hide her disappointment. She should not blame him. It might be boring and it was in English. Eunhye would be the only one having fun if they went to watch it. Worse, he might ask her to explain things. The other titles made her frown.

"This looks good," Wonwoo said after a few more moments. He placed a hand on her shoulder to get her attention. "I read the synopsis. I like it already. Should we watch it?"

Her face lit up when he said that and she nodded. She tried not to skip on their way to the snack bar. They had to wait for a while because the schedule they chose was not until thirty minutes and decided to get their food a little later. Wonwoo found a table and they sat there, sipping on their iced americanos.

"Are you sure you're okay with that movie?" she asked, worried he was just catering to her. "We can still change it if you wanted to see something else."

His hand reached over and he played with hers, making her heart skip a beat. They did not usually do these things in public. Eunhye, herself, had been trying to hold herself back from linking their arms together, thinking he would be uncomfortable. Whenever she saw girls checking him out, she wanted to yell at them that this guy was hers.

"I actually like these kinds of movies," he said, looking at her in the eyes to show he meant it. "I was just surprised you would like them, too. Given your taste in manhwas, I thought you'd go for the romantic comedy."

"I told you I like English movies," Eunhye reminded him. "And it has history with it. I like that."

Wonwoo ducked his head to one side, still amazed by this new discovery. He never thought he would find someone who got along with him like that. "How come we match so well?"

Eunhye bit her lip as blood rushed yet again to her cheeks. Given how long they had been dating and the things they had gone through, she should be used to this by now, but she was not. Expressing feelings were never her thing, let alone putting them into words just like he was doing. If she was handed a pen and paper and was told to write down how she felt, she knew she would do well but she could never say them out loud without cringing or getting emotional.

She heard him groan. "You're so cute right now, I want to kiss you."

"Stop."

"Then stop being cute."

"I'm not!" She let go of his hand so she could cover her face. "When is that movie starting?!"

Chuckling at her reaction, he took his phone out and took a picture. There was a sound of an artificial shutter and she glared at him.

"What?" he asked when she looked at him accusingly.

He showed the picture to her. It focused on the movie tickets that he held out in front of him with Eunhye as the background, covering her face with both hands. Her heart fluttered at the moment it captured. She watched Wonwoo set it as his wallpaper, replacing the giant cat photo.

"How many stolen photos do you have of me?" she asked, curious. She would sometimes hear that shutter sound while sleeping a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter