Chapter 43: Teacher

Good To Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eunhye tried to call Wonwoo but his phone was turned off. She looked for him in all the places she thought he might be but she did not find him anywhere. She even dared go to their apartment but Mingyu told her he was not home yet.

"He's probably in an internet cafe somewhere," Seokmin offered. He also tried calling Wonwoo but it went straight to voicemail. "He'll be home soon."

"I already looked," she said. That was the first thing that came to her mind. She had tried all known computer shops in their neighborhood as well as the ones near their campus but she could not find him.

"It's already late, Noona," Mingyu said, seeing that it was almost midnight. "Let me walk you home instead."

"That's fine. I'll go," she said, walking away. Mingyu caught up with her though.

"At least let me walk you until the intersection," he insisted. "I'll let you know once he's back. You shouldn't be out this late."

If Wonwoo found out that Mingyu let Eunhye go alone, he would not hear the end of it from his hyung. He could probably answer that it was Wonwoo's job to take her home in the first place but Mingyu did not feel comfortable letting her go. 

"Just how big is this fight?" he asked while they walked out of the apartment building. "I never saw you go after Mark-hyung before. It was always the other way around. Wonwoo doesn't usually do this when he's mad, either."

"Huge."

"I'm sure you'll get through to him," Mingyu said. "Wonwoo-hyung wouldn't jump into a relationship if he was not serious about it."

She sighed. "Well, this is a serious matter, too, so who knows?"

And Mingyu was not right about her not going after Mark. She never told anyone but she had a hard time getting Mark to open up to her, even though she let him into her life easily. It took her a few months into their relationship for her to read Mark. She had been seeing Wonwoo for just five weeks, and just like her, he had been good at putting up a wall. She did not know how to read him at all.

They came to the intersection too soon. She said she was fine going alone but now she felt lonely, and depressing thoughts start to knock on the door to her mind. She tried her best to push them away. "Please let me know once he's home."

Mingyu nodded, waving her goodbye. Then he remembered something. "And Noona."

Eunhye stopped before crossing the street. "What?"

"Can you tell Hani to return my calls?"

Her face softened. She was too caught up in her own drama that she did not notice that Mingyu stopped coming over. What a bad friend she was. "I will."

"Thanks. Be careful. Please text me when you get home."


**********


Eunhye had left Wonwoo at least a dozen voicemails, begging him to call her. She waited all night for him to return them, or text her but he never did. The only person who texted her that night was Mingyu, giving her a report every thirty minutes that he still had not come home. By two in the morning, she realized she was not going to get any reply from him. Even Mingyu had fallen asleep and was not reading her texts.

She had feared this. She ran in her head that scene with Lee Junki for the upteenth time that night, wondering how it must have sounded to Wonwoo. It was definitely not what actually happened, but it seemed like she lost the chance to tell him that.

Eunhye could still remember the very first time she met Lee Junki on her final year in high school.

It was the semester after summer break, just when all the seniors were juggling between cram school, school and studying, hoping to get grades high enough to make it to the college universities they want to. Or that their parents want them to. She knew her father wanted her to get into Seoul University, just like Yunho, but Eunhye had made clear with her decision last school year when she changed her major from Liberal Arts to Applied Science instead of Natural Science, which her father had wanted. She was going to be a computer programmer and she was hoping to get to MIT. Or any other college in the US. One year in the Liberal Arts, two private academies, and her self-study made her confident with her English.

In Liberal Arts, she had been running for the first place, along with her best friend, Hani. In the Science department, however, after she switched majors, she was considered a normal student. Her rank never went lower than 10th place but her father was not taking that. Either she graduated on the top rank or she was going to study in Seoul. Her grades were enough to get her to the school they wanted her to go to, but that was just not her.

She thought it would be the end of it when she learned that their computer teacher got married and moved to Singapore. They would have the substitute teacher take over until he proved to be capable enough, or they found an actual one to take the job.

Mr. Lee Junki introduced himself in a confident way, flashing his blinding a smile and immediately taking over the hearts female population of the class. He was so cool that even the boys thought he was okay. Classes turned out to be more fun that the ones they had before, and Miss Kang was already their favorite teacher.

He once found Eunhye during their supposed Yaja hour in one of the computer labs, practicing a programming language she had been learning on her own. Back then, there were already a lot of information about it on the internet but she wanted to learn more and it was not enough. Lee Junki saw it and was impressed at her passion about programming.

"Python?" he said, lightly placing a hand on her shoulder.

She jumped and took out the earphones that was connected to her ipod. They were not supposed to leave the classroom but she had managed to escape and study something she actually liked.

"We don't have that in the syllabus yet," he noted, standing straight up. "You've done your homework."

"Sorry, Saem. I'll go back to the classroom again."

He laughed. It sounded like bells and her heart fluttered. She did not like him at first, especially since all the girls swooned at the sight of him. Eunhye's eyesight was bad but she never sat in the front rows, prefering to sit closer to Woo Zico and far from the teachers. However, there was only the two of them and she could finally see why they were attracted to him.

"And do what?" the teacher asked. "You're already ahead of your classmates in all the subjects. Unlike most of them, you take time to actually understand the concepts and theories behind the lessons instead of just memorizing them."

She blinked, surprised the teacher knew about that. He had been their teacher for roughly two weeks. "I hate memorizing."

"But you memorized those codes already," he said, pointing to the computer screen. "And you learned something on your own without relying on your teachers. I would guess you've been through all your textbooks before spring semester ended."

Eunhye laughed awkwardly. He was right. She was a bit obsessive when she studied and she ended up finishing their textbooks. "I had to catch up with the rest of them. I used to be in Arts."

"To learn English?"

It was amazing how he was getting things right about her and she did not even pay him that much attention aside from criticize the way he did his tie. Seriously, why did he need to wear a tie every day when all the other teachers just wear casual clothes? "Probably."

Mr. Lee nodded as if he knew what she was talking about. "Well, I was just wondering why you were not in class. It looks like you're even learning more than those kids there so you're not doing anything wrong so don't look so guilty. I'll leave you to it."

"Saem," she said when he was about to leave the room. "You recognized python by just looking. I know you're just substituting for Kang-saem but you seem to know more about this than her."

Scratching the back of his head, he took a step forward. "Well, I am a Computer Programming major. Why? Do you want me to teach you?"

That was then that she decided he was her new favorite teacher. Back then, Lee Junki looked like the best person to help her learn what she needed to. He taught her that and more.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter