Chapter 61: Proper Brewing

Good To Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It had been three years since she last saw Baek Seungheon but he almost looked exactly the same. Well, his skin was more tanned than before but that was surely because of the time he spent in the sea. He still had that warm eyes and even warmer smile. For a second, she forgot she was angry at Wonwoo and felt genuine longing for a really good friend.

Well, they had been more than friends, but...

"How amazing is this?" he said, beaming down at her, seeming to be feeling the same thing she was. "I was just thinking about you and suddenly you're here."

"You were thinking about me?"

He chuckled nervously, scratching his hair. "Uh, you remember Minseok-hyung's cafe, right?"

"Funny you should mention that."

"Well, he offered me to own half of it," he went on. "So we're sort of, business partners now. I'm actually on my way there now. Do you have time? At least let me show you around."

"Uh..."

He read her face and his smile grew wider. "You don't have plans, huh?" When she could not find any reason to say no, Seungheon put an arm around her and dragged her around the corner with him. When they turned, they came face to face with a younger guy wearing the cafe's apron. "Wonwoo? Is it your break time already?"

Wonwoo stood there for a moment, his eyes shifting from his boss, to Eunhye, to his boss's arm around her shoulder. He opened his mouth and closed it again, not finding words appropriate to say. His confused face turned sour.

"Did you change shifts without telling me again?" Seungheon said suspiciously.

He shook his head. "No, Hyung. I was just on my way back. I had to run after a customer."

Seungheon looked around. "Why? Did they forget to pay?"

"They left something in the store," Wonwoo lied. His eyes bore into Eunhye, who refused to meet his eyes. "Looks like they didn't need it."

His boss nodded knowingly and told him to get back to the store, as well. They came to the coffee shop and Seungheon opened the door for them, finally letting go of her, only to push her to the counter.

"Ah, guys, this is Eunhye," Seunghoon introduced her to as if he just remembered to do it. "She and I used to work here together before. She was my supervisor. These are the current crew we have. This is Younghoon, that's Minkyung. You've met Wonwoo. I think Rowoon's around here, somewhere."

"He went on his lunch break," Younghoon told him. His eyes fell on Wonwoo's cold expression and did not know what else to say.

"Our darling Eunhye here created the system we currently follow," Seungheon told his crew proudly, oblivious to the awkward tension in the air. He pointed to the whole counter and gestured to the organized system that made it easier for them to move around. "This used to be a mess back then. And also the training protocol since Minseok-hyung was bad at it. She was the one who trained me."

There was a clang when one of the pastry forks fell and Seungheon stopped talking.

"Sorry," Wonwoo muttered, not sounding sorry at all as he picked it up.

"Ah!" Seungheon seemed to remember something. He put a hand on Eunhye's shoulder. "You're here. This is perfect."

"It is?" she echoed. Contrary to what he said, she felt like she stepped on a landmine.

"I planned to add Turkish coffee to the menu," Seungheon told her. "Hopefully by next week. I actually had you in mind since it's your favorite brew. Remember when we stayed up right here way past midnight and we--"

"Yeah, yeah," she stopped him before he said something else.

There was a rhythmic pounding sound as Wonwoo cleaned a portafilter rather passionately, throwing the used grounds in the trash.

"Did you have coffee yet?" Seungheon asked. Then he shrugged. "Even if you did, it won't really matter with you, though, right? Let me brew you one cup, okay? At least let's catch up a little before I let you go. It's been, what? Three, four years?"

"S-sure." With all five of them in the counter area, it felt crowded and she wanted to get out of there.

"On the house," he assured her. "Turkish coffee. Your favorite."

"Hyung," Wonwoo said, interrupting them. "Didn't you say Eunhye-ssi trained you?"

"Yeah," he answered. He put his arm around Eunhye again looking like a proud father. "She was the one who got me to love coffee."

"If she's so good, why don't we let her brew her own coffee?"

Seungheon's smile went away at Wonwoo's tone. He used to be the most courteous one amont them. "Ya," he said quietly. "What's with you?"

"He's right," Eunhye said, shrugging Seungheon's arm off her as naturally as she could. She turned to Seungheon and smiled sweetly. "I missed this bar. Can I work on it? It'll be just like old times. Maybe I could teach some of your crew here how to BREW COFFEE. Jeon Wonwoo-ssi?"

"You will?" Seungheon asked, surprised, and she nodded at him with a smile. He did not remembering mentioning Wonwoo's full name. He looked cautiously at Wonwoo who was wiping his hand on a dishcloth, worried the guy would be rude again. He actually liked Wonwoo, who reminded him of Eunhye for some reason he could not quite place, who knew how to talk to customers properly, which was why he was shocked by his tone earlier. "You said last night you wanted to try doing it, right?"

"You're here, hyung?" someone said.

They all turned to Rowoon, who came back from his lunch break. His eyes fell on Eunhye, whom he was sure was a customer before he went on his break, and was now behind the counter, standing next to their boss. Was she their boss's girlfriend? He was suddenly thankful that he left the bar in Wonwoo's hands.

"Gyungie-ya," Wonwoo said. "Rowoon's back. You can take your break now."

The only female crew immediately bowed to their boss and hurried out of there so she could breathe. The situation was getting more frustrating by the moment, and she felt like she had something to do with it. Younghoon followed her, declaring he had to clear some tables and left Rowoon behind the cash register.

"Uh, then who's going to look after the bar?" Rowoon asked, clueless.

"I'll take care of it," Seungheon said, going to the work area. "We still have an hour before peak time, anyway. Gyung should be back by then. Hye-ah. Can I leave Wonwoo in your hands?"

Eunhye dramatically stretched her hands, clucking her joints as if she was going into a sparring session. She beamed at Seungheon. "No problem, Oppa. I don't think he had proper training."

"Oh, I had really good training," Wonwoo told her, an evil grin forming on his face. "REALLY good."

Blood rushed to Eunhye's cheeks at what he was implying. Without any idea about what was going on, Seungheon walked back to her.

"Ya, go easy on him," he requested. "He's kind of new, and I can't really lose another crew, right now."

"Oppa," she said, loud enough for Wonwoo to hear. "That's why your crew's just flirting behind the counter. You go easy on them. If you were going to serve Turkish brew for free without teaching them how to properly do it, you shouldn't call that cheesecake a special edition."

He scratched his head. "I was actually trying a new recipe for the pastry."

"No wonder it tasted familiar," she muttered. She turned to Wonwoo. "Ready?"

"Always am," he snapped.

Seungheon felt uneasy but left Wonwoo with Eunhye as they made their way to the extended part of the counter, obscured from the customers by the huge refrigerator and pastry display rack. He went to the work area just as a couple of customers came and ordered something and he became busy. They were a high school girls and they smiled brightly at Rowoon while choosing among the menu. Their cafe had been known to have good looking baristas and so female students came flocking.

"Don't mention anything about Turkish brew for now, please," Seungheon whispered to the giant. Seungheon took out the cheesecake that Eunhye pointed to him and put it in the fridge. He also took down the Special Edition sign.

"How do you know Seungheon-hyung again?" Wonwoo asked Eunhye quietly, watching her wipe the metal Cezve first.

She did not answer and looked behind Wonwoo. "Oppa," she called. "Is it okay if I make more than one cup? Should I make you some, too?" 

Seungheon gave her a thumb up and she turned her attention back to the metal pot. As if she still worked there, she easily found the espresso cups and got them ready in no time. She also took the packed coffee beans and measured them on the scale before pouring it on the grinder. 

Eunhye rolled her eyes when she saw the grinder. She pushed the setting labeled "Ultra Fine" instead of the numbered setting, which Wonwoo used. She looked past Wonwoo again to the guy busy preparing coffee at the bar. "Oppa, leave instructions in writing instead of leaving them to fend for themselves next time. Or just buy Turkish GROUNDS instead of making them use the grinder. What if they met a customer like me?"

Seungheon cackled in laughter and said he wished none of them did.

"Make sure to ask your customer if they want their coffee with sugar," she said to Wonwoo in a business tone, the moment the grinder did all its work. It had been a long time she had use

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter