Chapter 58: Guild

Good To Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


"I'll just drive Zico-hyung to his apartment," Wonwoo told her when he pulled up outside her apartment building.

"That's fine," Zico said from the back seat. "I have to drive back to Chanyeol's anyway."

"But your head," Wonwoo protested. "It's okay, Hyung. I kinda like this car, and I'm sure I won't get to drive this again. Let me drive you to your place and then drive this back to Chanyeol-hyung's."

"He said it's okay," Eunhye argued. "Come on, let's go up."

"Noona," Wonwoo squeezed her hand. "I can't let him drive in that condition. Besides, Chanyeol-hyung asked me to drive the car back to his place."

She glared at Zico and released her seat belt. 

"Fine. Drive safe," she said. Wonwoo nodded and started to climb down to help her. "You don't need to come down. Just open the trunk for me."

He did as she told him to and she was soon waving at him as he backed the car out of the alley and out onto the street. She stood there for a few more moments before heading to their apartment. When she got there, she found Hani in the living room, watching a soccer match on TV with a roller on her bangs and a bowl of popcorn on her lap.

"You're back," Hani noted. "How was it?"

She left the camping bag on the cabinet by the entrance and collapsed on the couch, exhausted. "We went to the beach. Played a couple of games. We drank and then went to sleep in the tents."

"I thought Wonwoo went with you?"

"He did," she answered, taking a handful of the popcorn and stuffing her face with it. "But Jiho was drunk last night and has a terrible hangover, so Wonwoo drove him back to his apartment." Eunhye sighed. "Then he's gonna drive the car to Chanyeol's."

Hani blinked. "You used Yeol's Benz?"

"I know, right?" she laughed. "I need to know what Jiho blackmailed him with." Her smile went away when she realized she would never know because she would never talk to Zico again.

"That's new," her friend commented. "And it's good to finally see your best friends AND your boyfriend getting along well. Do I get credit for introducing you to your perfect match?"

She eyed Hani. "But you lost yours."

Hani's eyes went back to the TV screen.

"You still didn't tell me why you broke up," Eunhye reasoned out. "He's not talking, either."

It had been over a month since her friends broke up and Mingyu had not been the same since then. Another thing why she kept finding excuses to go to Wonwoo's apartment despite his protests that his housemates were taking most of her attention, was because she wanted to check on Mingyu. He had always been outgoing but recently, he had been holed up in his room, sleeping.

Just when she thought Hani was not going to say anything, she spoke.

"I tried," she said. "I really did."

"Tried what?" Eunhye was about to retreat to her room and play a game while waiting for Wonwoo to call her but she sat right back down.

"I tried for it to be something more," Hani answered. "There would be times that I would feel like I like him the same way. He made me so happy. He's perfect. We fit together."

"So what's wrong?"

"Me." Hani looked at Eunhye with tears in her eyes. "I don't love him like that. I never did, and I just could not take it anymore. It's not fair to him."

She pulled Hani into a hug, gently caressing her head. Two days ago, she would not know what Hani met but after her recent discovery, she had a really good idea what her friend was feeling at the time. It was not like one could just tell her heart to fall for someone when there was nothing there.

 


*********

 

"Thank God."

Chanyeol's sigh of relief was evident when Wonwoo got out of the car and handed him the keys to it with a heavy heart. They opened the trunk and Wonwoo took his bag.

"How did it go?" Chanyeol asked, inspecting the front tires.

"It was fun," Wonwoo answered. For him it was because he was not the one who got punched in the face. "Why didn't you come?"

"I had to help my sister out," the older guy said. "She and her husband moved to their new place. I'm actually heading out in a bit. I would drive you, but it's not on the way."

"It's okay, I'll take the bus."

"Do you wanna come inside, first?" Chanyeol asked. "I kind of regret not going so I wanna hear how it went."

Wonwoo followed Chanyeol to a neat house, where they were greeted by a black poodle by the door. Chanyeol picked the dog up and carried it with him as he showed Wonwoo around. If he was not mistaken, this was Chanyeol's parents place. Chanyeol said his parents were out and he was alone which was why he asked Wonwoo to come in.

Chanyeol was just making some coffee and he poured Wonwoo a cup as well. They walked into his room where he showed rows of volumes of "One Piece" as well as some collector's items of the same Anime. Compared to Eunhye's assorted collections, Chanyeol seemed to be a One Piece mania.

"You play?" Wonwoo asked, spying an electronic keyboard in one side. After that, he saw the guitars and a drumset backed into a corner.

"Dad's a music teacher," he answered. Chanyeol seemed to remember something and smiled widely. "Do you want to see her old pictures?"

"You have them?" Wonwoo's eyes brightened as well.

Chanyeol hurried out of his own bedroom and went to the living room where a shelf full of albums were neatly stacked. They were arranged by year and labeled according to events. Yoora-School 94-96. Family-Vacation 00-02.. Chanyeol-School 98-00. Wonwoo was awfully reminded of someone when he saw that. Chanyeol saw his face and snorted.

"Yeah," Chanyeol said, scratching the back of his head. "That had been touched by Eunhye's hands. She has this obsession with arranging things by order and she offered to do it for Mom. My sister used to babysit her so she was here often when we were kids."

"She even arranges her paper bills by serial number," he muttered. Eunhye had said it calmed her when she did that. Wonwoo could see her doing that and he could not help but chuckle. "It does make it easier to find what you're looking for, huh?"

Chanyeol did not have trouble finding which albums to take out. It was labelled as one of their family vacation in Jeju Island. Chanyeol pointed out photos with him and his family, looking like she belonged there.

"Their parents were usually overseas during the holidays," Chanyeol explained. "Both of them were doctors, and they would go to places where medical care was scarce, because they liked to help people. This was from when he and Yunho-hyung went with us during summer."

Chanyeol showed him more photos from other albums all throughout the years. He could finally see what she meant when she said Chanyeol and Zico had been family to her. Her older brother would be on some of the pictures, but their was huge so he was not really around her much. Wonwoo noted that Eunhye had big smiles back then. Then he showed Wonwoo photos from when they were in grade school. On the photos, she looked energetic, positive and sociable, very unlike the girl he was dating. She was always surrounded by other kids and it seemed like she radiated confidence.

Wonwoo was lucky to be able to see those smiles sometimes when they were alone. No kidding, she had a lot of photos in the Park family that she looked like she was just another daughter of that household.

"That's her dad," Chanyeol said when he noticed Wonwoo stopped turning the pages on one album. The man in the photo looked like Eunhye. It was easy to tell this was her father. "Dr. Jung Jiwon."

"She never talks about him," Wonwoo admitted.

"Well..." Chanyeol scratched the back of his head. He wondered how much Wonwoo knew about Eunhye's family history, and whether he should fill him in. He decided Eunhye would do it herself, so he stuck to what he was sure Wonwoo already knew. "They stopped communicating after she moved out. You know... After they..."

Wonwoo nodded understandingly, feeling as if someone punched him in the chest when the truth sank in. Unlike Wonwoo, Eunhye held grudges. And hers last for years. It would not surprise him if the biggest grudge she would hold was against her father. He hoped it was something she could share with him and he was a little hurt that she never said anything about it. However, he could also see why she would have difficulty sharing it. It meant going through memory lane again and sh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter