Chapter 70: Airplane Mode

Good To Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


Wonwoo hesitated but the tray in his hand seemed to grow heavier by the second. He quietly cleared his throat before placing the coffee cup on Jieun's table. He kept his eyes on the cake as he put it next to the coffee. As soon as he was done, he stood straight up.

"Please enjoy your coffee and double chocolate cake."

"Thanks," she replied, not even bothering to take her eyes off the magazine she was looking at. Even with his glasses on, Wonwoo could not make out what it was about. He thought she was a book person, another thing he liked about her back then, but that could have changed over the years. Her voice was still as soft and reassuring as ever. She did not even seem to have aged. She was still as effortlessly pretty as ever. Obviously with better clothes, now, but that just made her more beautiful.

"Can I help with anything else?" Wonwoo mentally kicked himself. He could have just left. She said, thanks, already.

"No, thank you." She finally looked up at him with a small smile. Their eyes met again, and that was when he saw recognition in her face. "Do I know you from somewhere? You look familiar."

Wonwoo blinked. "Uh, I'm not sure."

"Wait," Jieun stopped him with one word when he started to leave. "You look like someone I know. Hang on."

Biting his lips together, Wonwoo turned back to her, and saw her reading his name tag.

"Wonwoo! Yes!" Her face brightened at remembering him, finally. "You don't recognize me? It's me, Jieun. I used to tutor you English."

He could just smile awkwardly. "Ah. Sorry." He took his glasses off and wiped it with the edge of his shirt. "My bad, Saem. I need to get new glasses, see."

"You almost insulted me by not recognizing me," Jieun teased.

He forced a smile. "My bad."

"How have you been all these years?" she asked. Her eyes traveled from his head to his toe. "You work here, huh?"

Wonwoo nodded. "Just saving up for my own place." He should not have told her that. She would not have cared.

"Really? That's great!" Her happiness at seeing him seemed genuine. But then she had always been sincere, even when she rejected him. "You've always been independent and set your own goals. Are you in college?"

He told her he got in to the university. She congratulated him and wished him for the best for his future. Wonwoo wanted to get out of there. He was the only one feeling awkward and it was souring his mood. It was not like the girl did anything to hurt him directly, but it was still a pain knowing he set his goals with her in mind but he was not significant enough for her .

"Oh, that's where I went," she said when he told her which school it was. 

"I know," Wonwoo muttered. "That was why I went there, actually. I thought I would see you again."

"Well, I got a job abroad right after I graduated, so..."

"So I heard. What brought you back?"

Her eyes shifted a little bit before answering. "Well the company I was working for went down and then I met someone so I decided to move back to Korea."

Wonwoo's eyes fell on her hand. A pretty diamond ring sat on her finger. So when she said she met someone, she meant a guy. It could only be a couple ring, but it could also be an engagement one. He decided not to ask.

"But look at you!" she said excitedly. "You're so different, I almost did not recognize you." Another customer came up to the second floor. "I won't keep you from what you're doing, or I might get you in trouble. It was so great to see you. I hope we can catch up some time."

He just bowed and left.

"Hyung, are you okay?" Younghoon asked when Wonwoo was back. 

"I'm fine," he answered soullessly as he worked on the bar. He took a look at the queue and went to prepare the orders right away.

Wonwoo did not understand why he was in such a bad mood. He already has Eunhye so why was he acting all -hurt about Jieun? He wished he had his phone and call her so he could hear her voice and assure him he was just having lingering memories and that he did not feel anything anymore for his old tutor.

The minutes went by. Even though he was convincing himself he did not care, he was waiting for Jieun to come down from the second floor to leave, or to order something else. He felt like he had been a little too cold to her and that he had to do something about it.

"Hey, you can take your break," Gongchan told Wonwoo. "I will have to get off soon."

Thanking him, Wonwoo went straight to the locker room and took out his phone. First he checked if he had messages, and found none from Eunhye. He started to call her but remembered she would be working on her thesis-slash-game with Zico so she might be busy. He decided to text her instead, asking if he could call her.

Five minutes went by but she still had not read the message. He hit the call button. On the other line came a robotic message telling him to leave a message. He tried two more times but still got routed to voicemail.

Ticked off, but also understanding that she had her deadlines, Wonwoo decided he would just go to her place later that night.


***'


Eunhye started to doubt if what she was doing in her life was right. When she had been planning on submitting her game, she was full of confidence that she was going to pull it off alone. But now, even with Zico's help, it was still very difficult.

For the first time after all the times they had worked together in a group work, the two of them matched well. He seemed to be able to put into drawing what she had in mind, and most of the time it was even better. It felt like they had taken a step further into their friendship, but it might also be because they were now in Zico's turf. He had originally been an art major in high school and would have stayed that way, if only she did not drag him to Applied Sciences.

"Can I go crazy with the monsters?" Zico asked her after they finished rendering the last Hero avatar.

"Yeah, but just pay more attention to the bosses."

"That goes without saying." He stretched his back and took out a sketchbook. "Those were already done. I just need a few more for the side monsters and then we'll work on the effects."

He showed Eunhye some of the ideas he had and they talked about it some more. As he worked on the minor details, she worked on using his graphics on her codes and getting them to move.

Out of habit and because they were short on time, she put her phone on Airplane mode. They ordered dinner in and worked simultaneously. She had no idea how he got on the side monster graphics done so fast but soon, they were working on the effects.

"I think I'll change the fire color to a more greenish one," he muttered after she demonstrated a skill. "Isn't he the one who can control plants?"

"Oohh," she said, impressed by his memory. Zico was never really good at video games and usually only played the same characters because he was too lazy to learn others. Chanyeol was the same, but that was because the guy always felt attached to his mains. "You sound like you're going to be a good gamer now."

"After this, I don't think I'll ever play a video game again."

She burst out laughing. Her work was indeed ambitious and it was not like she would be able to release it. However, this would be a good item to add to her portfolio so she could apply for a job at her dream company. Or maybe even sell it.

"Ya. It's three thirty," Zico told her. "Are

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter