Chapter 60: Turkish

Good To Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eunhye realized she came too early to the coffee shop when she did not recognize any of the people behind the counter. There was not much that changed since she last worked there and the smell of coffee made her nostalgic. However, she was reminded that she had not been there for a long time because none of the people she worked with all moved on from the shop like she did. 

She remembered talking to a petite girl with chic eyes but killer smile, whom she liked at first glance. If she was not mistaken, that girl's name was Soyeon. This time, a tall girl with long hair dyed blue stood behind the cash register and smiled brightly at her when she walked over. Eunhye looked behind her over at the bar and found a tanned guy probably taller than Mingyu was working on the espresso machine. As usual, Minseok considered looks when hiring people. Unlike them, she was just too good with the coffee machine which was why she was accepted.

Eunhye squinted at the menu, too lazy to get her glasses from her small backpack. She would be ordering the most basic stuff anyway. She was just battling whether she would get a double shot espresso or an Americano with the extra shot. She pursed her lips and her eyes fell on the Cezve, a metal coffee pot that was used for a certain type of brewing. She remembered Wonwoo saying the Turkish brew was not official yet until the next week but she could already order it.

"Is the Turkish brew available?" she asked. The girl's name tag read "Minkyung" but she could be wrong.

Minkyung smiled. "It's not on the official menu yet," she answered, pointing to the one written overhead. Their boss already warned them that some customers actually ask for that kind of brew, especially those who had knowledge about coffee types. "But we can prepare it for you for free if you purchase any of our special edition cakes."

Eunhye beamed. She searched the display and opted for a slice of a special berry cheesecake. When she handed her the card, the girl asked to confirm if she would get the Turkish brew. "Yes, please. It's been a while since I had real coffee. Oh, and please don't add any sugar."

Minkyung said she would deliver it in person once it was ready and asked Eunhye to take a seat. She went to the farthest side of the cafe, which had been her favorite place back when she worked there. She recognized a table set for two, although the chairs were replaced by two small couches. She placed her stuff on one of the seats and took out her computer. She sat with her back to the counter on purpose so she could focus on her work instead of the people in the counter. If she was going to wait for Wonwoo, she better make use of her time.


*************


"Is your brother okay?" Wonwoo asked Younghoon when they met in the changing room.

"Yeah," Younghoon answered. "He got mixed up in a fight he was trying to break up in the internet cafe he was at. He just had the best of luck because the police came just when he decided to interfere."

"Did he get hurt?" Wonwoo had a younger brother as well and he knew how worried Younghoon might have been.

Younghoon shook his head. "Not really. If only I could buy him his own computer, he wouldn't be there."

Wonwoo felt humbled. The guy was a year younger than him but bore more responsibilities than Wonwoo. He was thankful he had both parents who still supported him and his brother. He made a mental note to call Jeon Bohyuk when his shift ended, just to check on his brother. He patted Younghoon's shoulder in a sympathetic way before going out of the room.

"Yow," Rowoon greeted when Wonwoo joined them on the counter. He could finally take his break now that someone was taking over the bar. Rowoon finished up with the last of the orders before leaving.

"There's one order for Turkish brew," Minkyung told them.

"What?" Rowoon asked, panicking. "I thought that's not on the official menu yet?"

"But Seungheon-oppa said we could prepare it for free for now," Minkyung argued, pointing to the computer she was working on. "As long as they buy any of the two of the special edition cakes."

"That's okay, I can do it," Wonwoo said, assuring Rowoon. "He showed us how to prepare it last night. It's not that hard."

"Are you sure?" Rowoon asked. He glanced at the direction the customer went to, but his view was obstructed. "I haven't even had that coffee."

"I did," Wonwoo answered. Part of their training was to taste each of their shop's brew, to make sure they experience it themselves. It also helped them memorize their menu faster. "Don't worry. I'm sure Hyung left instructions somewhere in cases like these."

Younghoon joined them and patted Minkyung's shoulder. "You can take your break."

She shook her head. "That's fine. I ate earlier before I came here. Let Rowoon-oppa go first."

"Thanks, darling," Rowoon said, playfully pinching Minkyung's cheeks but she swatted his hands away.

Wonwoo stared at the new grinding machine and realized he had been too fascinated about the actual stuff when Seungheon was showing it to them to remember how he actually operated it. He said the grounds should be extra fine, so the maximum setting would do, right?


***********


Eunhye mentally kicked herself for forgetting to transfer a copy of an Excel file she worked on the previous night, from her home computer to her laptop. She checked her Yoda looking flash drive but it was not there. She even checked her email to see if she had magically sent it to herself but she was out of luck.

Her phone made a ping and a message from Chanyeol came in. She glanced at her flashdrive and snickered.

ParkYoda: hye
Eunhye: yo
ParkYoda: did u fight with jiho?
Eunhye: ??
ParkYoda: i asked him to check that cafe wonwoo works at
ParkYoda: he said no
Eunhye: what does that have to do with me?
ParkYoda: he said he won't go if you'd be there

She sighed. Eunhye realized she had stopped talking to Chanyeol as well even though it was Zico she fought with. She had wondered if he knew about what Zico felt about her and she became angry at him for no reason. She did not even remember telling Chanyeol that Wonwoo would be working in a cafe, let alone which one, but he figured the two of them might have been in contact with each other.

"Ah, gym," she remembered, muttering to herself.

"Your cake and coffee, ma'am."

Eunhye was brought to the present by a gentle voice. She looked up to see the same girl who took her order. Now that she had her glasses on, she was sure the name tag indeed read Minkyung.

"Thanks."

"In case you would like anything else, here's the menu." The girl placed a paper placemat on her table before putting the mug in. She bowed slightly and left.

Eunhye studied the menu and smiled. She remembered going to a Japanese Restaurant with one of her coworkers before and seeing they printed their menu on the paper placemat which saved them having to keep reusing the same copies, as well as make it convenient for their customers. She suggested they do it, as well, but Minseok had been too busy to take the plan into action. Four years later, there it was.

For over a year, she worked closing shift on the same coffee shop. She even stayed late with a coworker, studying and trying all different sorts of brewing, while the guy baked. She saw on the coffee menu that one of the brews that she created was still there and considered calling Minseok to ask for copyrights, or some credit, at least.

She took a small slice of the cheesecake to see what was so special about it. She checked the menu given and it was not there. She guessed it was one of those trial and error ones and she mentally applauded her sunbae for taking these kind of risks. It was just like a regular cheesecake for her

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter