Chapter 2: Fast Friends

Good To Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Ojisan. Did he come here? While I was gone?"

The man studied her for a moment before answering. "Once or twice."

"Was he alone?"

Ojisan sighed. "Eunhye-chan--"

"Did he come here with a Japanese girl?" The man did not have to answer. She could tell by the sympathy in his eyes that she should not have asked. "It's okay, Ojisan. I already accepted it." She bowed to him before leaving.

"Eunhye-chan," he called. "You'll meet someone better. Remember, you'll always deserve better."

At the same time, Wonwoo came out of the restroom and they walked back together to their table.

"Are you close with the owner, Noona?"

Eunhye tried to ignore the nagging feeling when Wonwoo called her that for the first time. She nodded and explained that she had been going there since her sophomore year. They arrived at their table just as their order came. 

"Wow."

Eunhye could not help but feel proud when she saw Wonwoo's appreciative reaction when he saw the food. This restaurant had a special place in her heart long before she brought Mark there and for a moment, she felt that again. The okonomiyaki was placed right in front of her and it was her turn to clap like a seal. It made her forget that she was still trying to decide what to feel that Mark brought his girl in the place she thought was special between the two of them.

"It's moving," Wonwoo said, seeing the second serving of okonomiyaki, this one with the bonito flakes. "Is that still alive? Daebak."

She could not help but find his reaction cute. "It's just too thin so the steam makes it look like it's writhing."

Wonwoo poked some with his chopsticks and made the same "wow" expression he had earlier.

"It's preserved fish though," Eunhye said. "So I can't eat that." She pointed to the plate in front of her. "If you're going to have a taste, eat this one."

"The lemon-glazed scallops isn't here," Mingyu noted. He turned to call the waiter's attention but found the owner of the restaurant approaching with the plate of the scallops recipe. Mingyu's eyes brightened when it was placed on their table.

"Please enjoy the food," Ojisan said. "We'll serve the dessert later."

"We didn't order dessert, though," Wonwoo said.

"It's on the house," the man replied with a smile at Eunhye. "To welcome Eunhye-chan back from Japan."

Eunhye made a small dance, shooting finger hearts at Ojisan. "Arigatou gozaimasu, Ojisan." (Arigatou gozaimasu - Thanks a lot)

He patted Eunhye on the shoulder and said the next thing in Japanese. "The two of you look better together than the previous one."

"Ojisan, we just met."

"If it connects, don't let it go."

What he was saying was making her blush so she shooed him away, saying they needed to eat the food now while still hot. The man walked away laughing,

"What did he say?" Hani asked.

"Nothing," she said, taking her phone out. "Just eat."

"Thanks for the food," Wonwoo muttered while splitting his chopsticks. He scanned the table, searching for which food he would try first. The okonomiyaki looked inviting and he made for it, only to be stopped by Mingyu. "What?"

Mingyu gestured at Eunhye, who was taking a photo of the food. She adjusted the angle, moving the plates closer together and tried again. Satisfied, she laid back on her chair, smiling to herself. She felt eyes on her so she turned to Wonwoo.

"Sorry, go ahead," she said. "For okonomiyaki, it's always the first bite that's the best."

Wonwoo took one slice and tried it. Eunhye saw his face light up when he had a taste and she smiled proudly.

"Daebak," he said, scrunching his face, unable to find words to describe it. "So this is what it tastes like."

"This is the best one I've had so far," Eunhye boasted. "And I've been to lots. Even those in Japan never tasted this good."

Wonwoo gave her a thumbs up, his mouth full because he took another bite. And another. He was enjoying the food so much that Eunhye felt proud as if she was the one who made it. She wondered if this was what Ojisan felt when he saw her taste the food there for the first time, because they became friends instantly.

Hani was tempted to give Mingyu another nudge when she found Eunhye watching Wonwoo eat with a fond look in her eyes. It was not just that she wanted Eunhye to meet someone new after that guy broke her heart. Hani had been reminded of Eunhye the first time she met Wonwoo, while her friend had been in Japan. At first she thought that it was because she missed her bestfriend a lot, but then soon even the smallest details and mannerisms Wonwoo had was close to Eunhye's. She swore she would make the two meet one day. Even though Eunhye was always shy at first, getting close to her was not that hard, which she thought was perfect for Wonwoo, who seemed to be the same.

"How I missed this place," Eunhye muttered after a sip of the ramen. "Please have some ramen," she told Wonwoo.

Wonwoo did and he made the same expression he did when he first had the okonomiyaki. "Wow. This is just perfect for my style," he exclaimed, giving Eunhye a thumb up. "You know how to choose, huh."

"She has a good taste for everything," Hani agreed. "Except for men."

"Just eat, Hani," Eunhye said, rolling her eyes.

They had a hearty meal. She was thankful that Mingyu was there, because he led most of the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter