Chapter 9: Fake Smiles

Good To Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Hye."

"What are you--"

"Oppa, you're here." Sana came out the same door as she did. "We're done so we can go now."

Eunhye's face hardened. Mark had been forcing her to listen to him when what he was going to say was as bright as day right in front of her. He opened his mouth as if to say something but Eunhye looked away.

"Bye, Sana," she told the younger girl, instead.

"Bye, Sunbae," Sana replied. The smile on her face told Eunhye Sana had no clue about her and Mark. "Thanks for today."

"Noona, you left your keys."

Jeon Wonwoo chose that time to come out of the room and dangle the cyberlab key in front of her face.

"Thanks," she muttered, taking it.

"You do lose stuff a lot." Wonwoo commented. "Are you sure you're not coming, Noona?"

"What's your name again?"

Eunhye realized Mark and Sana had not left yet when Mark stepped in front of Wonwoo and asked him that. She also figured he might have recognized Wonwoo from the photo Hani took and his voice which he heard that night when Wonwoo hit the Answer button by mistake.

Wonwoo seemed to have just realized there was another sunbae and bowed his head slightly. "Jeon Wonwoo, sunbae."

Eunhye read a text from her phone.

Z.I.co: hye, something came up
Z.I.co: need to go home for now
Z.I.co: raincheck?

Finally finding an excuse to escape the scene, she tapped Wonwoo's shoulder. "On second thought, I'm going." She dragged both him and Soonyoung down the hall, away from there.

Eunhye let go of them when they turned the corner on their way out of the building. She did not have any intention of going anywhere near Jeon Wonwoo. It was her lucky day because they bumped into another classmate of hers on their way out.

"Where are you taking these kids to?" Son Hyunwoo, better known as Shownu, asked her, seeing the three of them. "Are you taking lunch money from hoobaes again?"

"Hey, Hyunwoo," she called, separating from the two hoobaes and encircling her arm around his huge one instead. "That project you asked me to help you on..."

The six-foot-tall buff stared at her with a blank face. "Huh?"

"I have a question about it," Eunhye went on, secretly pinching his arm to play along. She turned to Wonwoo. "I have to go somewhere, so please tell Hani I'll come with next time." When you're not there, she almost added. Eunhye put on her friendliest smile and exaggeratedly waved at the two of them before dragging Shownu away from the building.

"Where are you taking me to?" the giant asked.

"Let's go eat lunch. I'm buying."

That easily put a bear smile on his face, his eyes disappearing as Shownu let his only female classmate drag him out of the campus.


*********


When Wonwoo got home from school that day, he found Mingyu preparing his laundry.

"Can you throw in mine, too?" Wonwoo asked, smiling brightly. "Or maybe just a couple of shirts?"

"You wish," Mingyu said, sticking a tongue out.

Wonwoo fished three t-shirts out of his own pile, anyway, and threw it among Mingyu's. The younger guy stood to his full height, towering over his hyung, but Wonwoo stared back at him unfazed. After a moment, Mingyu picked the basket up and went to the laundry room, taking Wonwoo's shirts with him.

"Hey," Wonwoo said, following him to make sure Mingyu did put it in the wash. "What's the deal with that Mark Tuan?"

"You know him?" Mingyu asked as he double checked on the pockets of all his shorts and jeans.

"He's a sunbae," Wonwoo answered, leaning against the doorway while crossing his arms in front of him. "You hung out with them a lot before. I thought he was Eunhye-noona's boyfriend but then I saw him with one of my classmates."

That was not entirely true. Wonwoo knew Eunhye and the guy broke up already but he was curious about what happened. He walked right into a very awkward scene earlier in the day and he saw the hurt look on their TA's face and he did not like it.

"You don't usually care about gossip," Mingyu commented. "Are you interested in Noona?"

Wonwoo snorted. He decided to tell Mingyu about seeing the three of them in the hallway. The younger guy actually stopped what he was doing and was all ears, putting both hands on his waist. "You should have seen his face when I called Eunhye-noona, 'Noona' instead of 'Sunbae'. But Sana was there, so I got confused. I remember seeing them together last year. We all thought they were together."

"Poor Noona," Mingyu muttered. "You're saying all three of them were there at the same place, same time?"

He nodded and saw concern on Mingyu's eyes. "Why? What happened?"

Mingyu was well connected so Wonwoo knew he asked the right person. The younger guy went back to separating the clothes with strong colors. "You see it's kind of my fault."

"That's new," Wonwoo muttered sarcastically.

"You knew Noona went to Japan, right?" Mingyu started. Wonwoo nodded in response. "The day she came back, she told us not to pick her up. She wanted to surprise her boyfriend. Hani and I agreed to meet at the mall, which was close to the airport, planned to watch a movie and all that. I saw Mark-hyung around the cinema so I texted Hani where she was."

Wonwoo narrowed his eyes. If the guy was just going to brag about his dating life, Wonwoo was going to bail.

Fortunately, Mingyu went on without giving him details about his date. "Hani wasn't replying so I asked Eunhye-noona. I thought they were together. I called her and told her Mark-hyung was already waiting, which was also weird because I didn't know he was coming with. But then he's usually where Noona was. They had always been so inseparable, so--"

"Yeah, yeah, then?"

"So Noona said she was already at the mall, too." Mingyu started the machine, leaning on it with his arms crossed in front of him, mirroring Wonwoo. "Then I saw that other girl. Your classmate, was it? The two of them were together. I tried calling Noona to stop her from coming. I didn't want her to see that. But she was already there and she saw them."

"He could have explained if there wasn't anything going on," Wonwoo offered. "It could have been a misunderstanding."

"Hyung," Mingyu said, exasperated, as if he was transported back to that day. "They were kissing. What's there to misunderstand?"

"Oh." 

"If I had gone to Mark-hyung first before calling Noona, she wouldn't have seen that."

Finally getting what he needed, Wonwoo stood straight. "She would have caught on eventually. It's not your fault." He patted Mingyu's shoulder. 

Mingyu looked like he was relieved at his words. "Yeah, but still, it was bad she had to find out that way."

"What did she do when she saw them?"

"She just stood there," Mingyu replied. "She stared at them for like two minutes, before turning away and leaving the mall. I tried to go after her but she was gone."

"She's kinda good at running away," Wonwoo muttered

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter