Chapter 30: Samgyetang

Good To Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

She always hated having to miss school and she used to go even if she had the flu. This time, however, she used her illness as an excuse not to go and risk seeing Wonwoo. She still had not figured out what to say or do after that tiny little kiss so she had been putting it off for as long as she could. But now he was coming to her apartment and she had nowhere else to run away to.

Eunhye lied down on her bed and pulled the cover up to her neck, listening for any telltale signs that they arrived. After what felt like hours but was actually just five minutes, she heard the doorbell, and the sound of the main door being opened and closed. She pulled the covers up to her nose.

"I just put the the chicken in," Hani told the two boys. She noted that Wonwoo's eyes wandered the whole house. "So it will be a while."

"It's fine," Mingyu said. Just the thoughts of eating home cooked samgyetang after a while was enough to make him smile. He found his hyung eyeing the huge smart TV in the living room. "What?"

"Noona," Wonwoo asked Hani. "Can I hook up my Switch to that TV?"

Hani stared at him for two seconds and then decided she did not know what he was talking about. "You have to ask Eunhye to do that. I don't know how to."

"Oh, I do," Wonwoo answered. "But can we use it?"

"Sure," she replied with a dismissive wave of her hand. "Knock yourself out. Just don't ask me to help you."

He and Mingyu exchanged looks and then went for the living room. It was genius for his hyung to bring his console with them so they had something to do while they killed time. This was better than going out in crowded places. 

Wonwoo found another computer in the living room and asked Hani about it. Hani said that it was Eunhye's old computer and was now for common use in their house. The next thing he noticed was the shelves next to either side of the entertainment set. Instead of books, one side was filled with DVDs. The other one was full of video game cartridges. Someone had arranged it first by console then alphabetically. There was only one person he knew who would do that.

"Mingyu-ya," he called his friend over. "Look at all these game cards."

Mingyu had seen all of them already since he had been over there multiple times. He was surprised that Wonwoo did not notice it the first time he came. "She has almost everything."

"No kidding," Wonwoo breathed. "Noona, can we borrow some of these?"

Hani took one second to look. "Yeah, I'm sure she won't mind if you borrowed some." 

"We'll just play here," he assured her. The two boys picked a game they both knew. Wonwoo let Mingyu choose since he knew only a few of them. Wonwoo made a mental note to ask Eunhye if he could borrow the latest version of Final Fantasy. He did not know it was already out in the market. After Wonwoo slayed Mingyu multiple times in almost an hour, he gave up and tossed the joystick at his hyung. 

"You play alone."

Wonwoo just laughed at him as he shut it off and followed Mingyu to the kitchen. They were just in time as Hani opened the lid and the whole house was wafted with the delicious smell of samgyetang.

"Daebak," Mingyu exclaimed, mouth already watering as he watched Hani transfer one chicken into a bowl. He made an attempt to pinch a bite but she slapped his hand away. "Ow!"

"Hands off," Hani snapped. "This is Eunhye's. She won't come out and eat so I'll bring it to her instead. I might need your help to force it down , though." She put it on a tray, along with a bowl of rice and some side dishes. It was heavy.

"Give it to me," Mingyu volunteered.

"I'll do it," Wonwoo said, taking the tray before Mingyu could reach for it.

"Okay," Mingyu said, giving up quickly. He turned to Hani. "Is she still out with the flu? Why is she always sick when we're here? No fun."

"Hye-ah!" Hani called, knocking on the door once before opening it. "Dinner."

"I'll eat it later," the sick person mumbled under the covers. She had covered herself with the blankets up to her head.

"It's better to eat it while it's still hot," Wonwoo said, setting it on her computer desk after tucking away the keyboard on the slide underneath.

There was a yelp and she peeked out of the sheet to see for herself it was Wonwoo who spoke. "What are you doing here?"

Wonwoo turned to Hani, who remained outside the door and winked. "I got this."

"Okay...? Hey what--" Her next words were muffled as Wonwoo closed the door with a wave and a turn of the lock. She knocked on the door. "Ya. Jeon Wonwoo!"

"Thanks, Noona!" Wonwoo called without opening the door.

"What do you think you're doing?" Eunhye asked, getting up. "Get out of my room."

Wonwoo cleared her side drawer and placed the tray there. "Oh, so you can take care of me when I'm sick, but I can't take care of you?"

Her breath hitched at as his words made her heart flutter and she coughed as an excuse. Wonwoo sat on her bed and felt her forehead. He ducked his head sideways as if he could not determine what he was checking. He leaned in and put his forehead on hers instead to check her temperature.

"Hmmm," he said after a moment but not moving away. "Slight fever."

It took all of Eunhye's willpower but she managed to move her own face away. "I know how to take care of myself. I'm a doctor's daughter."

"Why get sick in the first place?"

She glared at him. "I wonder who gave me this cold."

He bit his lips together so he would not laugh. "Should I take it back?" Eunhye's hand flew to cover her lips, making him chuckle. He took a spoonful of chicken meat, dipping the spoon

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter