Chapter 71: Airplane Mode OFF

Good To Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

When Eunhye woke up, it was past lunch time. Her eyes hurt, and when she looked at the mirror, she found them puffy. Did she cry herself to sleep again? She searched her memories for what happened the previous night. The moment she made sense of the things she remembered, she reached for her phone to check it. She had several missed calls from Zico, but none from Wonwoo. Not even one message.

After she told him to get out of her room, he left without a word.

That was all she remembered. Most likely she was too exhausted and fell asleep right away. So why did her eyes look like she cried a truckload of tears?

Ah, she stared at her computer for twenty hours straight and washed her face. Stupid.

"Hey, are you okay?" Sunmi asked her when she went out to the kitchen to get herself a glass of water. "I thought I heard you screaming around dawn. Were you doing a role play? I thought you're not into that. You know, I love you and Wonwoo together, but this is getting out of hand. Just tell us if you want us to move out."

"Nope. Just a bad dream."

"I let Wonwoo in last night," her friend said, remembering. "He said he would just wait for you."

"He came here?" Eunhye shrugged nonchalantly. She opened the fridge and smiled when she saw a box of pepperoni pizza. She was the only one in the house who hated pineapples on pizza so she knew it was meant for her, saving her from having to cook lunch. She took two slices and heated them up. "I came in around four, so he probably left already by the time I arrived."

Sunmi stared at her for a few moments, before deciding she was telling the truth. "He's such a good kid," she praised. "We already gave him the combination to the door but he still rings the doorbell. It's a bit annoying, sometimes, but it means he has manners."

Funny she would say that after what happened the previous night. "I probably won't come home tonight."

"Why?"

Eunhye sighed as she took out the nuked pizza slices. She wordlessly offered one to Sunmi but she shook her head. "Our final demo slash defense for the game is tomorrow, and I have a lot of things to do. I might stay over at Zico's."

Her friend's eyes narrowed at her. "Is Wonwoo okay with this?"

"I don't need his permission." She took a huge bite off the pizza and groaned, realizing how hungry she was. The last meal she had was the jjajangmyeon with Zico the previous night. "Thanks for ordering me pizza."

"Wonwoo brought that."

Just like that, her appetite went away. "Oh."

Sunmi glanced at her sideways. "You know we order Hawaiian. He said you were craving pizza since the other day."

"I was, yeah." She always eat a whole box of pizza whenever she was craving, and it would usually be whenever it was near her time of the month. Sunmi was about to say something else but Eunhye's phone rang.

She was dreading it was Wonwoo, yet she was disappointed when she saw it was Zico. "What?"

"So are we doing this or what? You know, I already did my part. I still need to finish up the documents on my end."

"Yeah, coming."


***'


As soon as she was at Zico's, the pressure of her project went back to her and it occupied her mind again. However, she could not stop thinking about Wonwoo and how they left things with each other. Now that she had a good night sleep and a clear head, she had time to think about what happened. He was angry and just... off. She was used to his mood swings and oversensitivity about stuff, but that was different.

He made really good points, sure. She had left her phone on Flight mode but did not warn him beforehand, and she should have. But then he went from super jealous to sulky to angry to suddenly very... ? Now that she thought about it, he did smell a little like alcohol but he could have been sitting there in her room long enough to sober up.

"So why did you ask me if we ed?"

Zico's question snapped her back to the present.

"Wonwoo was there," she admitted straight away. "He got mad that I came home late without calling him."

"Did he get mad because you were with me the whole time?" Eunhye nodded in response to his question. There was no point hiding it now. Besides, this was Zico she was talking to. "Finally he acted normal. I was beginning to question him when he seemed okay with this--" he pointed to the two of them, "knowing what happened."

"I thought he trusted me."

"The guy probably thinks about ing you all the time, so he would think every other guy does, too."

She scoffed. "Not every guy is like you, Jiho."

He laughed at her. "I'm serious. In his age, is always in his mind."

"He's not thirteen."

"So what happened?" he pressed. "I was actually answering your question out of pure honesty, but I hoped that helped ease his mind. Wait, I would probably do it if he paid me enough."

She kicked him. "You're a pig."

"And you're a bully!" he retorted. "I'm sure he was not the one who suggested you call me. He's probably ashamed about it right now."

He almost forced himself onto me, and I'm the bully? She rolled her eyes. "He'll get over himself."

"So did you guys have good make up after that?"

Eunhye took the nearest notebook and hit his head with it. Is that all what really guys were think about? After being satisfied with how much she hurt Zico with his own sketchbook, she sat back down. "I was tired and needed to sleep so I told him to leave me alone."

"But did you talk it out yet?" His face went dead serious after making enough fun of her.

She took her phone and showed him it was on Flight mode. "Tomorrow is my priority. I'll worry about him tomorrow."

Zico stretched his arms out, moving his wrists as he had been using his hands too much while he typed on his computer. "Well, you're not really getting anything done while you're worrying about him."

He was right. She was distracted and she kept messing up what she was doing. At least, talking to her friend about it eased it up a little. As usual, he just knew when something was wrong, and how to help make her feel better. Why did she even think about severing ties with him again?

"I'll talk to him after the demo. Or tomorrow morning." She lied down on the bed, throwing her laptop to the side. Her back and neck ached and she tried to massage it. Her head started to go to the last time Wonwoo gave her a massage but she forced the thought away when it was replaced by the previous night.

"You mean you won't talk to him until next week?"

"What?" She sat back up and groaned when she heard a bone crack somewhere inside her body. "What do you mean next week?"

"I knew you hadn't seen it yet." Zico typed something on his computer. "If you did, you would already be out of here."

"What do you mean? I'm sleeping over."

"No, you're not." He turned his screen towards her, showing her an email. It was from their department, sent to all post graduate students, telling them that the panel discussion would be moved to Friday of the following week. "That's how I knew you were out of it, or you would already be over the moon upon seeing it."

She read it twice, checking as well on her own email to make sure he was not kidding. True enough, among dozens of unread emails, there it was on her inbox, the same message Zico showed her. Feeling relieved, she threw herself at the bed again, smiling stupidly at her phone, which was already out of Flight mode and still did not receive anything from Wonwoo. When she realized that, her smile disappeared.

"Why are you still here?" Zico asked her. "I was trying to get rid of you."

"He hasn't called me," she blurted out. By saying it out loud, she suddenly realized what she was actually mad about. After everything that happened, she still wanted to hear from him. "Not even one text. He's still mad at me."

He covered his face with his hands. "And here I thought I would be free of you because Wonwoo is so perfect. You know what, Hye? You're obviously the problem here, okay? Since you know he's mad at you, why don't you go and talk to him instead of bothering me?"

"What if he's really mad and breaks up with me?" Seeing how things ended with them, this could actually be the end, right? 

"Oh no," Zico groaned. Now, he was the one regretting that Eunhye did not cut ties with him. "Not that again, please."

"Besides, I'm still mad at him, too. He didn't call or text me after that fight. Why would I be the one to reach out to him first? He's the guy, I'm the girl. He should be going after me, not the other way around." 

She almost told him about what Wonwoo did but was luckily able to stop herself in time. That would be a different story and she knew Zico would be mad. This might mean she was way too into this guy because she was willing to look past what he did and protect him for it.

" this." Zico took his phone out.

"What are you doing?"

"Calling Wonwoo to ask him to pick you up."

She got up, panicking and snatched his phone away from him. She had to hit the Cancel button because the guy was not bluffing. "Fine, I'll go." I'll go home to sulk and feel sorry for myself, she thought.


***'


Wonwoo's phone had been silent all day. After leaving Eunhye's room the other night, he had walked home to their dorms, thinking about what he did over and over, and cursed himself repeatedly. Even when he got to his bed, he felt crushed.

First, he doubted her and her relationship with Zico. He, of all people, knew how much she had struggled when she tried to end things with such an important friend to her, as well as the reason why she wanted to do that. It was something he claimed he understood and embraced because her friends were a part of her, too. However, the thought of her and her best friend who was in love with her for years, being alone in the same room all through the night made Wonwoo's imagination go wild especially when night turned to dawn. It did not help that she was not answering her phone.

Of all the times, why did their fight have to be right after he saw Jieun again?

If he was honest, he came to Eunhye for his selfish reasons. He wanted to make sure he was really in love with her, and that it was Eunhye that he cared about and not his old tutor, who did not even remember his name if she had not read it off his name tag. He had been denying to himself that the thing that attracted him to her more after he discovered she was their TA, was because he was reminded of Jieun, even though they could never be more different.

He kne

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter