Chapter 66: Old Friends

Good To Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Hyung!"

Sehun got up and gave Seungheon a hug. The kid worked there part time for a few months back when Eunhye still worked there. That was how  he and Eunhye became really close. Seungheon went to their place, giving Chanyeol and Baekhyun high fives.

"Wow," Seungheon said, noticing how big their group was, huddled in a table for two. Zico quickly took over the seat Sehun vacated. "It's been a while, huh?"

The place used to be their go-to back in their early years in college, back when the store across the street that was now a ddeokbokki place, was still an internet cafe. It had been years since they went there.

"I didn't know you were back in Korea," Chanyeol said.

"I own half this place," Seungheon said, gesturing to the coffee shop around them. "Minseok-hyung almost lost it and asked for help. I happen to have been looking for a good reason to come home, so here I am."

Chanyeol glared at Eunhye who just rolled her eyes at him. "You NEVER tell us anything anymore."

"Did you guys order yet?" Seungheon asked, checking on them. "We actually serve Turkish brew now."

"DON'T order that," Eunhye warned, making Seungheon cackle in laughter at the inside joke. "He can barely brew it himself and I'm sure his workers don't know how to."

"You trained Wonwoo yourself," he reminded her. The group fell in an awkward silence and Baekhyun coughed dramatically. "He actually brews the best ones among them."

"Okay, I'll order that," she said, pushing her old mug away that Sehun drank from with a face. She smiled sweetly at Seungheon. "Put it on Wonwoo's tab, please. I don't want to waste my money in case you, two, mess up again."

"How about you, guys?" Seungheon turned to them.

"We already ordered," Baekhyun assured him. "If we knew you owned this place, we would have asked for drinks on the house."

Seungheon chuckled again but clapped once. "I'll just check with my staff and if you guys are still here, I'll come back and catch up when I'm free."

They all watched Seungheon skip his way to the counter, patting Wonwoo on the back as his form of greeting. Eunhye's boyfriend turned to their direction as his boss told him she ordered Turkish brew.

"Okay, THAT was awkward," Baekhyun said when Seungheon was clearly out of earshot. "Does Wonwoo know about you and Seungheon? About you losing your ity to him and all..."

Zico picked up the book that Eunhye was holding and hit Baekhyun's head with it. It was then that she realized her newly rekindled best friend had not said a word while Seungheon was there. The guy was probably as good as her in holding grudges, so she was not surprised.

"Wonwoo knows we used to date," she said to answer Baekhyun's more innocent question. She did not definitely lose it to Seungheon, but then only two other people among their group there knew that.

"And he's okay with working here?" Zico asked, genuinely curious. He was trying to figure this new boyfriend of hers out, but he was having a hard time. Zico had always liked Wonwoo since he met him, seeing he was a mature person that most kids his age, but he would need to pay more attention to him now that he and Eunhye were dating.

"Why not?" she asked back. "It was all in the past anyway. Besides, Seungheon-oppa's getting married. Wonwoo's more mature than to be bothered about an ex."

"Huh," Zico muttered and proceeded to read the summary at the back of Eunhye's book just for something to do. "You still read dystopian?"

Eunhye snatched it away from him. "I need it for the game."

"I told you not to copy stuff," he nagged. "You're more creative that those writers so you should stop looking at other people's works and start doing your own."

"Yes, mom."

Chanyeol eyed the two of them, thinking about Eunhye's answer to his question earlier. "If you're going to fight about it, just do your thesis separately."

"You just want in," she guessed and stuck her tongue out at him. She patted Zico's head possessively. "Look for your own artist."

"I want to eat ddeokbokki," Baekhyun muttered to no one in particular.

"Me, too," Zico agreed, then turned to Chanyeol. "Yeol-ah. Cook ddeokbokki for me."

"Sure," the giant replied. "Should we head to your place after this?"

They agreed to go to Zico's after. All except her. "I'll go next time," she said. "I have plans already."

"We never asked you to come," Baekhyun retorted. "It's all boys night. Ya, Jiho. Call Yukwon and Hyuk up, too."


*****


"She's surrounded by men," Minkyung told Wonwoo when she came back to the counter after her last break and found her coworker's eyes still glued to his girlfriend's table that was now filled with four guys.

"They're her friends."

"They're all GOOD LOOKING men," she went on. "Aren't you bothered?"

Welcome to my life, Wonwoo thought. He stood next to Minkyung on the cash register, wiping the top of the pastry shelf, and watched Eunhye laugh heartily at something Zico said. "Nope," he answered.

"You're kidding me, right?" Since there was no more customers lining up to order, she proceeded to realign the cakes in the display shelf. "You were so worked up about that random guy who sat across from her and now there's four of them."

"That was a RANDOM guy," Wonwoo emphasized. "A stranger. He could be dangerous. Two of those guys, she practically grew up with, and the other two are in the same Gaming Guild as her. And they all went to high school together."

Somehow, he felt like he had to defend her. He could finally see why Eunhye was a bit sensitive when questioned about her friends. Why can't a guy and a girl JUST be friends? he thought. He knew he was going on the defensive but he did not like the tone that Minkyung used and especially not the words that she was implying. Especially not now that he knew one of those "friends" was secretly in love with his girlfriend for twelve years.

"Whatever you say," she muttered, seeing she somehow hit a nerve. She went to an all-girls high school and she was uncomfortable with guys. It took a while for Minkyung to adjust even to their workplace.

"Hey, guys. How was it today?"

They turned to see their boss come behind the counter and put on an apron.

"It was crazy," Rowoon said. He pointed to the string of orders pasted on the counter. "This is the last batch, but we were going non-stop just before that group came."

"Sorry," Seungheon said as he put on his beret. "I had to do the cake testing."

"How did it go?" Wonwoo asked. "I really wanted to go with you." And eat cakes for free. Wonwoo actually wanted to try it out and volunteered to go with Seungheon but he ended up working and cancelling going with his boss.

"I'm thinking I should do the cake myself," Seungheon answered. He put an arm on Wonwoo's shoulder. "Eunhye wants a Turkish."

He turned to their direction and met eyes with her. Warmth spread across his chest and the smile that crept up his face was automatic. "Okay," he said to Seungheon, nodding. "I can make it in time to serve it with their other orders."

The other staff did not know about Seungheon and Eunhye's real history together. While Wonwoo was preparing the Cezve and stove, Seungheon approached him.

"Don't be too d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter