Chapter 28: The Flu

Good To Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Eunhye stood outside an apartment unit she never thought she would have to enter sober. She was not sure if it was the right one, if Wonwoo still lived there with Mingyu, and whether she should go in or not. Eunhye stood there awkwardly for ten minutes and then decided she should just go home. Just when she was about to leave, a guy with bright eyes, wearing a baseball cap and a huge grey hoodie, seeming to be on his way out, opened the door. He saw her there and took a step back. 

"Can I help you?" he said in a gentle voice.

"Uh, hi," she started. She should not stare but the guy's eyes were so big and mesmerizing, she could not help it. "Does one Kim Mingyu live here?" Or a Jeon Wonwoo?

"Yes," the guy nodded and then put his head back inside the apartment. "Mingyu-ya! Someone's looking for you!"

She could hear footsteps and Mingyu came, wearing formal clothes but with a pink apron over it. "Don't shout, Jisoo-hyung, Wonwoo's sleeping." He walked to the door and handed the other guy a phone. "You left your phone."

"Thanks, man." The other guy, whose name was Jisoo, patted Mingyu on the arm and gestured he was going. He bowed slightly to Eunhye before exiting the apartment.

"Noona?" Mingyu did not expect her there. He tried to think of any reason for her visit and then remembered she was Wonwoo's TA. "Ah. Wonwoo's inside."

"Right," she said, not knowing what to do. "Is he okay?"

"He's still with a fever," Mingyu said. "I was making him some congee before leaving for class."

That explained the apron. It did not look like she was needed there so she waved him goodbye. "Oh, okay. See you around, Gyu."

"What? You're not coming in?"

And do what? She shook her head.

Mingyu pulled on her arm. "At least get him to eat something. I'm actually running late already." He put his hands together in front of him. "Please, please, please? He's fever isn't going down because he's not eating anything."

"Fine, just stop it with the aegyo."

Mingyu jumped up and down and put one huge arm around her and literally dragged her inside. "He's right there," he pointed.

He led her to the living room with one sofa and a bed that was pushed into a far side of the wall, right next to the huge window. She did not expect to see Wonwoo so soon. He was lying on that bed, an arm over his head, covering his eyes as he slept. At the foot of the bed, she recognized his black backpack, along with a camera bag. A coat hung on a corner of the window, right beside a small wardrobe.

Her heart clenched in her chest at the sight of him. "Why isn't he in his room?" she asked Mingyu.

"That's his room," he answered. "He chose to sleep there." Mingyu went to the kitchen and placed the pot on the table. "This is the congee. The plates are on the cupboard. If you're hungry help yourself to the fridge. I think we still have some ramyeon left in the cupboard, as well."

"Wait, where are your other housemates?" She looked around and noticed that the house felt quiet. 

"We all have classes," Mingyu said. "And I think Seungcheol-hyung went to his dad's." He took the apron off and folded it neatly before putting it inside a drawer. "I owe you this one, Noona. Thanks a lot."

Mingyu left, leaving Eunhye standing there in the middle of the living room, not knowing what to do. She could only stare at a sleeping Wonwoo, his hair disheveled, clad in a crumpled white t-shirt and black sweatpants. She took a deep breath before stepping forward.

She felt his forehead and winced. He was burning. Deciding to do exactly as Mingyu said, she got a bowl, warming it with hot water first before pouring some congee in it. It was a habit she picked up when she worked in a coffee shop, to keep the food warm longer. She also got a small basin and soaked a towel with cold water. She walked and sat on the side of his bed, taking his arm off from his eyes.

"Wonwoo-ya."

His eyes opened slowly and met hers, but closed them back again. She felt his neck, checking his temperature again and she frowned. A hot hand held hers, circling his thumb on the back of her hand.

"That's nice," he murmured, smiling.

"Wonwoo, wake up. You gotta eat something."

It felt like someone was squeezing her heart. How could he still look handsome even when he was sick? Her heart ached seeing him like that. She had relied on him without even knowing it, and he always looked strong and tall to her. Now, he made her want to take care of him. He pressed her hand against his face and sighed contentedly.

"Cute, but you gotta wake up," she said, patting his face gently. She pulled a small table to her and placed the bowl of congee there, then shook him awake.

He opened his eyes again, this time looking at her longer. "Eunhye?"

She smacked his arm at the lack of honorifics. "Just because you're sick doesn't mean you can disrespect me."

He looked so weak, dark circles surrounding his eyes and his pale skin looking almost translucent, but he managed to pull her to his chest and put his arms around her. "You're here."

"Wonwoo, it's hot."

He sighed and just put his arms around her tighter. Finally giving in, she rested her head in his chest, listening to his steady heartbeat. If she could take away his fever with a hug, she would. She finally admitted to herself that she missed him. A whole lot that she almost cried.

"Ya, you're burning," she complained, even though she was not pulling away.

"Just a minute more," he said. "Maybe five. Before I actually wake up."

What? Did he think he was dreaming? She pulled her head away and gently shook his face. "You are awake. Now get up and eat. Mingyu made you something."

He blinked, trying to make her face out. "You mean, you're really here?" He poked her face and then smiled.

"Ugh," she slapped his shoulder lightly and pulled herself up. He was obviously messing with her. "You seem fine, so get up. Don't make me feed you."

Wonwoo chuckled, shaking his head. "Feed me. Aaahh." She did not move and just made a face at him. "C'mon. Make that airplane thing with the spoon."

"That's it, I'm leaving." She started to get up but he pulled her right back.

"Fine, I'll eat." He sat up and pulled the table closer to him. He was pouting when he ate one spoonful using his own hand. "Just don't go."

"Why are you sleeping in the living room?" she asked, her face easily softening at how quiet his voice was. She did not know why but her heart went out to him when she saw him there. "There's no heater and you're right next to the window." Wonwoo did not answer and just stared at her. "Why are you smiling?"

Wonwoo lowered his head on her shoulder, making her heart skip a beat. She let him do that for several moments, struggling with herself because she wanted to wrap her arms around him. She patted his head gently before shrugging him off. She got the medicine Mingyu bought for him.

"Finish that and take these," she instructed. "Mingyu got them for you. Why do you trouble him so much? It sounds like he's your boyfriend."

"Should I bother you, instead?" Wonwoo asked.

"Just eat."

Wonwoo did that and winced when he swallowed. His throat was so dry and it was painful. It seemed like she guessed that because she got up and got him a glass of lukewarm water.

"Were you like this since yesterday?" she asked.

"It was a headache yesterday," he answered. "The fever came last night. It's probably just lack of sleep, really. So that's all I've been doing. Why, did you miss me?"

"You missed a quiz."

"But I already know that."

While he was eating, she took the wet towel and placed it gently on the back of his neck, at least to lower his temperature a little. They stayed like that for some time.

"I missed you," Wonwoo said quietly.

Eunhye realized s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter