Chapter 74: Aquarium

Good To Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Seriously? Sealife?"

Wonwoo's heart finally hit rock bottom when he heard Eunhye's uninterested reaction when they hopped off the cab at Haeundae. He was still seething after she mentioned what happened before the trip and he was not happy. He thought she wanted him to forget about it, but she would always be the one to bring it up randomly and Wonwoo was becoming confused.

"You don't like it?" he said soullessly. He had wanted to check the place out and it was either the aquarium or the zoo, but since she was allergic to most of animals' fur, he chose this. "Let's go somewhere else then. Where do you want to go?"

He must have sounded a little more pissed than he intended to be because she suddenly paled when she turned to him.

"No, it's not that," she stammered. "I was actually scared you prepared an event or something seeing how excited you were."

An event? Crap. She was right. He should have done something like that. Any normal boyfriend would. He was sure he was supposed to plan something like that but nothing came to mind. He had been meaning to ask Mingyu for some ideas, but he did not get to that after what happened. 

"I didn't." He did not bother to hide the disappointment in his own voice, which was what he was feeling for himself at the time. "I should have. Stupid."

"No, no, no," Eunhye waved both of her hands in front of her in a strong refusal. "I'm glad you didn't. Thank you."

Wonwoo blinked at her. See? There would be times like this when Eunhye could be so confusing. 

"A free advice if you're dating me," she went on. "No cheesy surprise events, unless you want me walking out on you in public."

Okay, so she was saying she expected an event of some sort, but was glad Wonwoo did not do anything.

Eunhye breathed a sigh of relief when Wonwoo's lips curled up in a smile. For a minute there, she thought she would have to endure the rest of the day with a moody Wonwoo. It was true that she did anticipate something, and indeed was dreading an awkward event that she would have to fake her reaction to. Not that she would not appreciate it, but she knew expressing her feelings were never her strength and all events that her previous boyfriends turned into disasters or fights. And because she thought those things were cheesy and cringe-worthy.

"I'll keep that in mind," he said, smiling.

"What do you say we go meet these fishes?"


***'

The first group of fishes that caught her attention when they walked in was a small place for the piranhas. It was funny that it was the first species that was by the entrance, which seemed like an ominous warning.

"Are they real?" Wonwoo asked stupidly, staring at the glass, eyes following fishes that swam in the aquarium. "Eunhye-ya, try putting your hand in there so we know."

She hit the back of his head as he laughed. 

"I bet it's like that massage thing," he went on. He made gestures with his hands as if small fishes taking out the dead skin. "Come on. Try it just one time."

He even took her hand and about putting it in the water as piranha feed. Finally, it felt like her playful Wonwoo was back and everything was right again in their world.

As someone allergic to fur, Eunhye became fascinated with aquatic pets (and arachnids but that was out of the topic now), and she was relieved she could express it without looking stupid because Wonwoo seemed as amazed, too. It also made it twice as fun and they both found themselves laughing and making jokes more than they probably ever did together.

"Why do they look delicious?" Wonwoo muttered when he stopped in front of an aquarium that had fishes with bodies as thick as a human. "I don't even eat seafood. Look how plump they are. Imagine them grilled. One can feed at least three families."

Eunhye covered his mouth, giggling. "Stop. They're probably older than us, so show some respect."

He laughed, too. "Sorry, hyungnim!" This he said to one angry looking fish that swam close to them.

Embarrassed by him, she went over to the penguins, who reminded her of a high school classmate. "Kyungsoo-ya..." she called to it in her classmate's name, laughing to herself. "How have you been?"

"Is that another ex's name?" Wonwoo asked, suddenly beside her.

"Nah. Just a friend from high school, a small quiet guy whom Chanyeol was afraid of. He's a chef now. You probably know him since he also has a Youtube channel. Do Kyungsoo."

He shook his head. She was not surprised since Wonwoo never showed interest in cooking. Even when it came to food, he was picky. At least going to the gym regularly left him always hungry and improved his appetite a lot.

They went further into the place, meeting otters and more fishes, going deeper into the aquarium. She was thankful she was with Wonwoo because the further they go in, the weirder her ears felt. She could tell they were going deep below sea level, thanks to the pressure in her ears. They came to more exhibits and down a hallway with walls that looked like mirrors (this made her a little dizzy) and into a part that said "Sea at Night" or something like that.

Whenever she looked at Wonwoo, he seemed to be having a lot of fun so she kept her thoughts to herself and turned her attention to an aquarium full of jellyfish. She and Wonwoo argued about who could pronounce the English word "bioluminescent" better, which started the whole contest of reading difficult English words they found on the descriptions.

"You're cheating," Wonwoo complained, finally admitting she was better at it than him, but not without a final argument. "I didn't live in America."

"Neither did I! I just went a few weeks at a time to visit my aunt." And Mark's parents, she thought but did not add. "You just need practice."

"What about going to the Philippines next break to study English?"

"Waste of money," she muttered.  "I'll just tutor you."

"Seungheon-hyung talks about it a lot," Wonwoo said, giving her goosebumps for thinking about the same person as her. "Seems like a good place." They stopped in front of a huge glass wall where there were huge corals and some fish. "This is like a whole different world. Do you think he did scuba diving for this view?"

"I'm sure the view there was way better than this," she said honestly. She had no idea how the topic turned from English to her ex who chose this kind of view over her. Eunhye knew she was over that a long time ago, but it was still a stab at her pride. "Why else would he leave?" she said quietly.

"I like the view right here," she heard Wonwoo say. When she turned to him, he was looking at her. Blood rushed to her cheeks and she was thankful the whole hallway was illuminated blue. Biting her lip, she went ahead, Wonwoo chuckling behind her as he followed. He caught up easily. "Did I make your heart flutter?" he whispered.

She abruptly stopped so she could glare at him, making him bump against her. The contact was brief but it was probably the first time that their bodies was that close ever since they started their day. Aside from the time she cried the other night, she had never felt Wonwoo's arms around her and even that was for a short time. This time, when Wonwoo's hands went to her shoulder, it was just to steady her. He walked ahead of her, chuckling, oblivious to her wishing he would just take her hand and walk together like a normal couple.

But Eunhye kept all her thoughts to herself and pushed self-pity aside, knowing that one day she would just look back to this day without feeling pathetic. She followed Wonwoo through a short hallway that soon opened up to what seemed to be the biggest attraction of the place, which was also the biggest aquarium.

They came in the afternoon so it was feeding time and as she joined Wonwoo as he watched a couple of divers inside the aquarium feed the fishes inside. He pointed to a type of stingray.

"I found Jihoon," he said, making her burst out in laughter.

"It does look a little like him," she agreed. "Don't tell him I said that."

"Nah, I'll tell him it was your idea."

She slapped his arm and quickly retracted her hand, shoving it inside the pocket of her jumper skirt. They stood there fascinated with all the different fishes, feeling a little ignorant as if they aged fifteen years backwards and were kids again. Well, if they met there fifteen years ago, she would probably be taller than Wonwoo, and would be wondering about boy crushes in the back of her head, and he would be obsessed with a gaming console he had back home. Okay, she would probably be thinking of gaming consoles, too, but she knew she would not have given him a second look.

"This reminds me of Feeding Frenzy," Wonwoo muttered, stepping closer to her and pointing to a shark that was swimming towards the feeding diver. They watched the other diver move its head away with a pole, making it swim away.

"I was going to say that," she admitted, nodding her head. "Didn't the Orca eat the sharks at some point?"

"You look like one of the fishes there," he teased, pretending to think. "I think it was the... angel fish? Because you're such an angel. Hanbin always say so. No, it's the anglerfish."

She flicked his ear. She knew what the anglerfish was. "Say something like that again, I'll feed you to the sharks."

"See these?" Wonwoo suddenly flexed his arm and showed it to her. "I can kill those sharks with my bare hands."

"Those muscles are for show," Eunhye scoffed. She then went on a tiptoe to whisper to him, "And you can't swim."

"Neither can you," he shot back with a smirk.

She thought it was over but after a good ten minutes, Wonwoo led her further in. When they came to a hallway surrounded by glass and water, she unconsciously walked closer to him, overly aware of the volume of water above them, enough to say they were in an enclosed space. Worse, they were under water.

Wonwoo was busy taking a video of the biggest of the sharks that swam above them to notice her. A kid guest ran past them, yelling excitedly at his mom, but Eunhye could barely make out what he was saying. There was ringing in her ears. How much further in did Wonwoo want to go? Eunhye looked around, considering telling him she was leaving first but when she turned to where he had been, he was not there. She stopped dead on her tracks in the middle of the underwater hallway, mind blank.

"Wonwoo?" she called out but her voice was hoarse that she had to clear before speaking aga

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter