Chapter 22: That was Then

Good To Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

They walked in to the familiar cafe, not having any trouble finding the others. Changkyun, Minhyun and Mark were sipping on their coffee in a corner booth. Another tall cup stood untouched in the middle of the table, looking suspiciously like an iced americano. Wonwoo immediately took the empty seat beside Mark, pulling Eunhye to sit on his other side.

Mark placed the extra drink in front of Eunhye. "Americano, extra shot," he said, knowing full well what she would order. He turned to Wonwoo and handed him a card. "We didn't know what you wanted so you can get it yourself."

Eunhye stared at the drink in front of her, not sure what to feel. She wanted the coffee but if she was going to have another episode she did not want to do it in front of Mark. Using one finger, she slightly pushed the drink towards Wonwoo, who actually grabbed it at almost the same time.

"She can't drink coffee anymore so I'll have this instead," Wonwoo said, taking it. "Thanks, Sunbae."

Mark raised an eyebrow at her. This was news to him. "Really? You?"

"I already had one at home," she lied, just to get him off her back. She should have known not to, because Wonwoo turned to her with an annoyed look on his face.

"You what?" he asked rather demandingly. "I thought Sunmi-noona hid all your coffee?"

She stepped on Wonwoo's foot under the table to shut him up. She did not want to have to explain to Mark and the others why her roommate would do that. Let alone the reason why Jeon Wonwoo, a hoobae of four years, would know that.

"Just get on with your meeting, " she said, taking the newly bought books from Wonwoo and opening the one for arachnids. She was just there to oversee them, and help out with whatever she could, but she was not going to have an actual participation.

Unexpectedly, the three younger students did their research during their time off. They had a lot of ideas, some of which she would rule out, especially the ones that had already been pitched before. She was most surprised by Wonwoo, whom she thought was signing in just to make fun of her, but it seemed like he spent time and enough thought about the matter.

In the middle of their meeting while Minhyun was explaining one idea to Mark, Wonwoo turned to her and quietly said, "Don't you want to eat something?"

She kept to her book, already through the third chapter. She just shook her head at him. She already memorized the menu on the cafe and did not want anything from it. Maybe the cheesacake, but she did not feel like eating. If she ate something with dairy, she might throw up again.

"Are you sure?" he asked. "At least a doughnut or something?" He looked at his phone to check the time. "We've been here for almost three hours and you haven't had anything."

"I'm good."

Changkyun, who was listening in, interrupted them. "Aren't you going to ask me that question?" he said to Wonwoo. "That doughnut sounds so good right now."

Eunhye pulled out her wallet and handed Changyun her card. "Fine. Since Mark paid for the drinks, the pastries are on me. And grab me a cranberry juice, please."

"I love you, Sunbae," Changkyun said, happily accepting it.

Their programming talk stopped when Changkyun took the menu and they decided on what to order. Eunhye kept to her book, finding an interesting point on how to take care of a Mexican Red Rump Tarantula, which was the breed she was planning to get next. After taking note of everyone's orders, Changkyun got them and in a few moments came back with her juice and several slices of cakes. Eunhye spied a raspberry cheesecake and she creased her eyebrows. She and Mark used to be a regular at that cafe, and she always ordered the berry cheesecakes because she could never eat chocolate or caramel. She did not want Mark to order anything for her. When she looked at him, he seemed to be surprised to see that flavor, too. He did not remember her ordering anything.

It was Wonwoo who did. He made a little dance--not unlike the one Eunhye did whenever she was excited about the food--as he took it and placed it in between him and Eunhye. Taking a pastry fork, he took a slice and handed it to her first.

"I thought you like chocolate cakes," Eunhye muttered.

"But you don't like them," he answered as if she asked him why he wore glasses. "Say, 'Ah',"

Eunhye felt three other pair of eyes on her and she felt her cheeks burn. Stepping on Wonwoo's foot under the table again, she shook her head. Her eyes fell on Mark's hardened facial expression and she felt cold. She had seen Mark snap a few times and it never ended well.

"Tch," Wonwoo clucked his tongue, putting it in his mouth. Her eyes followed how his lips closed around the fork. "Yum. Don't ask for a bite later."

Mark did not like how Wonwoo could just casually lean over to Eunhye and whisper on her ear, asking her what she wanted to eat, or that he could feed her out of his own fork in front of the others. He watched Eunhye steal glances at Wonwoo when she thought no one was looking, and go back to her book smiling, pretending to read. He guessed she was not even aware that she would always nod in agreement whenever Wonwoo tried to argue a point to the group. A couple of times that she found something interesting in her book, she tugged on W

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter