Chapter 21: Bookstores & Cafes

Good To Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"We're not friends here," L said to Eunhye when she sat down on their usual table in the cafeteria, obviously making reference to a famous line in that Hiphop show, Unpretty Rapstar. It turned out he and Minhyuk had agreed to team up for the program as well. Both of them had turned it down when their department head told them they would need to participate. "This is a competition."

Eunhye hit her friend's arm. "If you were going to enter the contest as a mentor, you should have just paired up with me."

"I didn't know the fourth years still had time for this," he reasoned. L was luckily assigned to the fourth years. "Besides, they wanted the first-year-fourth-year and second-year-third-year combo. Oh, right. Tuan. Was it awkward?"

Eunhye decided it was better she start eating instead of talking to L. She used to be awkward with Kim Myungsoo, since the two of them were always neck and neck against each other in the ranks, but after their third year, they became close. They were paired for the same exact competition and their bond started there.

"Why don't the ladies sign up for these stuff?" he grumbled. "It's a four-day competion, in a hotel and we're all guys. Boring."

"I'm mentoring," she said. "Like I had any choice in the matter."

"Exactly. It's just you. And it's for four days!"

They had a small world, so it was inevitable that she would have to socialize with her ex and she thought she was prepared for that. She was a bit bothered by having to spend time with both him and Wonwoo at the same time. The latter seemed to be on gamer mode whenever Mark was around, which was why she was worried.

"Who is this kid you're dating?" L asked out of the blue. It was just the two of them since they were the only people who took the Masters in Artificial Intelligence, and the next course was for that major.

"You guys make me feel like a celebrity," she noted. "Do you run out of lewd topics to talk about?"

"Well, given your taste in men, we need to watch out for you," L answered, her hair like he would pet a dog. "You have five oppa's who got your back."

She swatted his hand away. "Oh, please."

"Is he from our department?" L spied an untouched slice of Spam on her plate and took it. "Zico won't tell us anything."

"How many times do I have to tell you I'm not dating?"

"Until you admit you are."

Eunhye felt tingles on the back of her neck as if someone was watching her and she looked around. Her eyes fell on a familiar tall figure, lining up at the counter. She quickly turned her attention back to her food, placing some of them on L's plate.

"Is that him?"

"It's one twenty five L. We're going to be late."

"We're the only two students in that class," L said. "It won't start until we get there. Don't worry about us knowing him. I won't reveal your secrets right off the bat. Oh, he's coming here."

Who said she was the only girl in her class? They gossip like a bunch of sorority sisters, it was her who was always the last to know. Well, that was basically because she usually ignore their chatroom.

"Or maybe not," L muttered, watching the hoobae pass by their table and sit beside his classmates.

"See?" she said, although it irked her that Wonwoo just went past them without looking at her. "Eat faster." To put more pressure on him, she got up and stacked her tray among the used ones.

On the another table, Soonyoung watched Wonwoo stab his steak rather forcefully. "It's already dead, man."


******


Eunhye shoved her phone back to her bag after checking it for the fourth time in the last thirty minutes. The chatroom for the "Pitch My App" competition had been silent for the last three days since she created it, except for Changkyun and Minhyun occassionally asking for details. She was expecting them to make time during the weekends but none of that was suggested.

If she was honest to herself, she was just looking for an excuse to see Wonwoo again. As much as she hated it, she had become accustomed to seeing him, talking to him, or receiving weird texts from him. The last couple of days she did not get any of that. She had not heard from him at all. It was the first weekend in her life that she did not play a single game on her computer because she would remember the last time when Wonwoo was there.

It was a productive weekend, given that she spent almost all her time on her second computer. She finished two reports that was not due until two weeks, and a short program for another homework due the Friday of that week. She also created a program that would make it easier for her to manage her calendar which was totally unnecessary, since this was the sixth or seventh one she created for that purpose and she did not stick to her calendar anyway. That time, she reorganized the data she needed for the game project she was planning on submitting for her final term.

"You're not playing?" Hani asked, noticing her. "That's new. It's Sunday."

"The server is under maintenance," she lied.

"All of them?" Hani lived with her long enough to know what that meant.

She shook her head. "Just the one I wanted to play." She looked Hani up and down. "I see you're staying indoors today. What's Mingyu doing?" [A/N: Yes, the pun is there.]

Hani's eyes narrowed. "You never comment on my schedule before," she said. "But I am staying indoors, and I don't know where he is, or what he's doing today."

She did not bother to hide her smirk. It seemed like they were in a fight. She almost thought they agreed on everything. However, she was a bit disappointed because she was hoping to get a clue as to what Wonwoo could be doing. Hani sat on the couch facing her as she put a roller on her bangs.

"So Sunmi told me she left you and Wonwoo last time," Hani began. Eunhye was wondering when this interview was going to happen. "What happened?"

"He played one game and left," she replied as nonchallantly as she could. "My computer is so state of the art, he could not pass on that."

"Sounds like just part of the story." Her friend knew her too well.

Eunhye rolled her eyes and sighed. She decided to launch into a story. "Fine. I had another episode while he was here. You know I don't like people seeing me that weak so I sent him away."

"What are those prescriptions for if you're not taking them?" And Hani went on nagging at her, knowing she forgot to take her meds and she st

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter