Our First Valentine's Day

Oh My Baby!!

"It's Valentine's Day" Liyin screeches, barging into Jongdae's apartment with the biggest grin. This was her first Valentine's day with Jongdae and she wanted to make the most of it. She wanted to take Jongdae out to the beach and just forget about school for a moment. She wanted him to take her out to dinner and knowing how romantic her boyfriend can be she wouldn't even be surprise if he manages to  book the most expensive restaurant for the night. Liyin wanted the best for her first Valentine's Day just not three drunk men sprawled on Jongdae's floor sleeping their life away. "Uh hello... Wake up! It's Valentines' Day"

 

"We don't celebrate Valentine's Day" Kyungsoo mumbles, hiding his head under his arms. There are groans of agreements from his literal floor mates and Liyin pouts their way.

 

"Well if you guys won't celebrate it" Liyin starts with a dreamy look. "Then Jongdae and I will"

 

"Hah!" Baekhyun mockingly mumbles from his place beside Kyungsoo. He takes the pillow covering his face to send the girl a disbelieving look. "Good luck getting him out of his room"

 

"What's that supposed to mean?" Liyin glares at the younger boy.

 

"Why don't you find out for yourself?" Minseok supplies, pointing to the lone mahogany door found near the kitchen. The three males on the floor goes back to sleep when Liyin finally leaves them alone to bother her boyfriend instead. They couldn't care less if Jongdae scares Liyin off. It is Valentine's Day.

 

"Hey Dae" Liyin knocks on the door with slight apprehension. It was eerily silent from behind the door and Liyin wonders if the trio was playing with him and Jongdae was away planning the perfect Valentine's Day for her. Yes, maybe.

 

"Knock harder" Baekhyun shouts from his place when he sees the girlfriend just staring at the door passively. "It would take much more than a gentle knock to get that bastard to answer"

 

"Okay stop" Liyin turns to Baekhyun. "I know you guys are just playing with me. Jongdae's not at home"

 

Baekhyun stares at Liyin for a moment before Kyungsoo busted out laughing, cutting the tense atmosphere between them. "We told you Jongdae doesn't celebrate Valentines' Day"

 

"Li--" She gets cut off when Baekhyun hops off of his place with a glare, and knocking on the door loudly with a bang. Liyin winces at the sound before telling the younger off. "Baek, that wasn't very nice"

 

"I don't--"

 

"What do you want Baekhyun?" The door opens with a crack and Liyin strains to see her boyfriend through the darkness. The darkness of the room is haunting along with the bloodshot emotionless eyes staring at Liyin. "What are you doing here?" The venom on Jongdae's voice was strong enough to kill.

 

"It's Valentine's Day" Liyin informs her boyfriend, trying to sound the least bit happy as she was before. Jongdae doesn't even bat an eyelash at the announcement so Liyin continues, "I was wondering if you'd like to spend it with me."

 

"I don't do Valentine's Day" Jongdae deadpans and Liyin's heart sinks to the ground.

 

"B-but it would be our first Valentine's Day together" Liyin smiles, trying to at least convince her boyfriend to fulfill her wishes of a perfect Valentine's Day.

 

"I don't do Valentine's Day" Jongdae reiterates, tone getting dangerously angry.

 

"Jongdae please"

 

"Go home, Liyin" And the door closes with a bang, startling the occupants in the room into silence. Liyin tries to hold back her tears and his companions looks at her in slight pity. Jongdae has a terrible experience of Valentine's day, everyone who had been with the guy for the past one year knew that, but that doesn't give the male specific rights to break Liyin's heart.

 

"I'm sorry for his behavior" Minseok apologizes in Jongdae's behalf. "It was Valentines' Day when Yi-- his ex-bestfriend left. Jongdae's still coping up from the lost."

 

"But can he at least try to spend the day with me. I can help--"

 

"What? Fix him" Baekhyun laughs bitterly. "No one can fix Jongdae"

 

"B-but..."

 

"Just drop it, Yin" Baekhyun sighs in defeat before putting up his best smile. "Why don't you just spend Valentine's Day with us. Let's leave Jongdae alone. I'm sure he'll make up for his rude behavior tomorrow. Just give him space."

 

"I--" Liyin hesitates, eyes turning to the closed doors in sadness. "Yeah, okay. I'll come with the three of you"

 

"YASSSS!!" Baekhyun cheers happily.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"It's Valentine's Day" Jongdae screams in happiness, bursting through Yixing's bedroom door, before jumping onto his boyfriend's sleeping form happily. Yixing startles at the sudden visitor before letting a smile slip form his lips at the sight of his overexcited lover. "What did you have plan for me?"

 

"Five minutes of sleep" Yixing announces before pulling his boyfriend into his arms. Jongdae squeaks at the sudden gesture before letting his over affectionate lover cuddle with him.

 

"Okay" Jongdae plays with Yixing's fringes absentmindedly. "But you have to take me out to dinner tonight"

 

"I've got that all set already" Yixing mumbles. "Now sleep"

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"You know if you didn't want to be with us. You could have just rejected our offer" Kyungsoo tells Liyin when he sees her playing with her eggs. The trio had taken the girl to their favorite breakfast place after the drama in Jongdae's apartment hoping to cheer her up, but it seems the girl had other thoughts swimming in her head. "What's wrong?"

 

"I just" Liyin stops thinking her words through. "Jongdae didn't seem to have any problems with Valentine's yesterday. His actions today boggles me"

 

"Well you have to get used to it unfortunately" Baekhyun tells the girl grimly.

 

"Why? What happened?" Liyin asked with genuine curiosity flashing in her kind eyes. The trio exchanges looks with each other, debating on whether to tell the girl about the famous Valentine's Everland Story. "Please"

 

"Okay, but don't ever tell Jongdae we told you" Minseok warns the girl, a dangerous glint on his eyes.

 

"Yes" Liyin says and Baekhyun takes a huge drink from his glass of water to start the story.

 

"Once upon a time, there was a hopeless romantic named Jongdae" Baekhyun starts, "who had a unicorn for a bestfriend and a nightmare for a 'supposed' love story..."

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"So for our first Valentine's day what do you want to do?" Yixing asked his cute lover with his dimpled smile.

 

"Well…" Jongdae seems to ponder his choices with a small pout that Yixing finds adorable. "How about we go to the beach and watch the sun set? That would be romantic, don't you think?"

 

"It is" Yixing says with a patient smile. "But then we would miss our Marco Polo reservations. I don't want that to happen"

 

"Are you planning on proposing?" Jongdae gasped in shock before bursting out into fits of laughter. "That's so sweet, Xing"

 

"I'm still so young to get married" Yixing informs the younger male, taking a hold of Jongdae's hand and placing a small kiss on top of it. "But if it's you, I won't mind"

 

"Finish your studies first, Xing" Jongdae places a small peck on the elder's cheeks. "We're still in high school."

 

"We are graduating in June" Yixing says. "I'll buy you a ring then"

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"…Jongdae's tragic Valentine's day happened last year when he was forced to wait for the unicorn in the cold" Baekhyun voice rings in Liyin's head. The normal cheery tone Baekhyun would adapt in any situation gone and Liyin can't shake off the feeling of hatred for Jongdae's former bestfriend. "I remembered begging for him to stop waiting for Yi--the unicorn but he wouldn't listen until his body finally gave up on him and we had to rush him to the hospital."

 

Liyin who has been walking around the Han River alone decides to take a sit. Baekhyun and the gang were never open about the topic of Jongdae's bestfriend and this was the most information Liyin had gotten from the group. There were still blanks from the stories but it was enough for Liyin to understand the broken look in Jongdae's face whenever he thinks Liyin wasn't looking. "Why is a beautiful lady like you alone on Valentine's Day?" Liyin hears someone say from beside her. "Did your date ditch you?" A laugh and Liyin turns to look at the male fully.

 

"No" Liyin offers as an answer. "He…He just doesn't do Valentine's Day."

 

"Bad experience?"

 

"You could say that" Liyin answers with barely concealed sadness.

 

"I guess your boyfriend and I are in the same situation then" A dimpled smile that Liyin finds a little endearing and sad at the same time. "My girlfriend haven't talked to me since I rejected her plans of a perfect date this morning."

 

"She's probably crying now" Liyin jokes.

 

"Probably" The male answers before a few moments of silence passes between the two. Liyin doesn't mind the male's silent company, it helps her thoughts wander to something that isn't Jongdae. "I almost proposed on Valentine's Day" A long pause to keep the suspense. "But then I chickened out on the last minute and I made him wait for a whole day in the cold."

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"Did you know that each flowers in this bouquet have entirely different meanings from one another?" Yixing hands the bouquet to Jongdae with his million dollar dimpled smile. Jongdae blushes a deep red at the girly yet romantic gesture and Yixing doesn't even fight his urges to squish Jongdae's cheeks.

 

"Stop it!" Jongdae bats the hands away with a growl. "My cheeks are not that cute to be abused."

 

"Yeah, you got a point" Yixing withdraws his hand back to his sides. "Minseok's cuter than you"

 

"Hah" Jongdae gasps. "You take that back. Minseok is not cuter than me"

 

"Well…"

 

"I hate you. I'm going home to spend Valentine's day with my dog" Jongdae huffs, stomping away.

 

"Hey! Hey! I was joking" Yixing laughs, grabbing a hold of Jongdae's wrist. "And you don't have a dog"

 

"Baekhyun's a beagle."

 

"But he's on a skype date with Chanyeol. You can't disturb him today" Yixing reminds with a smile. "Plus you still don't know the meaning of these flowers."

 

"Do I have to?"

 

"Yes. As Zhang Yixing's boyfriend, you have to" Jongdae rolls his eyes at Yixing before elbowing the older away to sit at the nearest bench he could find. Yixing follows silently behind him.

 

"I don't have all day make this fast"

 

"Sure" Yixing pokes the younger's nose, plucking the first stalk he lays a hand on. "This is a narcissus flower"

 

"Wow, Yixing thank you for silently telling me that I'm a narcissistic bastard" Jongdae says mockingly and Yixing flicks him on the head for jumping into conclusions.

 

"No" Yixing insists but Jongdae glares at him through his long lashes. "Okay fine, yes. But Narcissus flowers doesn't always symbolize egotism. It also says to always stay as sweet as you are now"

 

"I'm not sweet" Jongdae points out just to spite Yixing. "That's why I'm called the number one insensitive bastard in school. You're not really good at this whole romantic thing."

 

"Fine" Yixing pouts, plucking the three roses in the middle of the colorful bouquet. "It's not like I wanted a hopeless romantic for a boyfriend anyway."

 

"Yah!!!" Jongdae kicks the guy on the knee.

 

Yixing laughs at the infuriated look in Jongdae's face before he takes the bouquet off Jongdae's hold and replacing with the three stalks of roses he had in hand. "Thank You" Yixing places the pink rose on Jongdae's lap.

 

"For what?" Yixing smiles mysteriously,

 

"I love you" A red rose follows after the pink rose. "Eternally" then a green rose is gently placed on Jongdae's hold. The younger male stares at the flowers for a brief moment before laughing loudly in front of Yixing's serious face.

 

"I didn't know I had a florist for a lover" Jongdae chuckles. "But a pink rose is enough for me." He returns both green and red rose back to the bouquet and then delicately takes the pink rose in his hand. "Being romantic isn't your genre Yixing."

 

"You mean my 'thing'"

 

"No, I mean what I said. Romance isn't your genre" Jongdae smiles at the dejected look on Yixing's face. "But still thanks for the effort." He gives the pink rose to Yixing. "Thank You"

 

"Now, you're just mocking me" Yixing whines before claiming Jongdae's lips for his own. Three days wasted of flower education over nothing but, hey, it's not like Yixing's complaining.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"Do you know each flowers have their own meaning?" The dimpled male says, walking alongside Liyin, around the streets of Seoul. Its still fairly early for couples to have their dates and Liyin is grateful for that. She doesn't want to think of her own disappointing Valentine's Day. "For example, a Narcissus Flower means egotism."

 

"Better not give that to your lover then, if you don't want to sport a black eye" Liyin teases with a smile.

 

"Yeah" the male laughs. "But also it means to Stay as Sweet as You always are."

 

"That's nice" Liyin stops infront of a flower shop, pointing at the boquet of roses displayed at the front of the store. "What does those roses mean? Pink, Red, and Tea"

 

"Thank You." A sad smile. "I love you, eternally"

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"On our next Valentine's Day take me to Everland"

 

"How about we go bungee jumping? That would be fun."

 

"Everland"

 

"Lotte World"

 

"E.V.E.R.L.A.N.D"

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"Here a pink rose" The stranger says over dinner, handing his companion a single stalk of a pink rose. Liyin looks up from her noodles to stare at the flower.

 

"I have a boyfriend" Liyin states and the male bursted out into loud laughter.

 

"I know you do" The male smiles. "But this is me telling you thank you."

 

"For what?"

 

"For spending an entire day with a broken male like me" The male grins when Liyin finally accepts the flower.

 

"Thanks, I guess" Liyin says, staring at the flower in sadness. It should be her boyfriend doing the flower giving on Valentine's Day. It should be her boyfriend with her eating breakfast, lunch, and dinner on Valentine's Day. It should be Jongdae educating him about the meanings of flower. It should be her perfect dinner date but instead she's eating noodle at a random old shack in Seoul. Liyin wants to cry and she really does startling his companion greatly. "Jongdae should be doing all of this not you" Liyin cries, vision blurring from her tears that she fails to notice the look of recognition in her companion's eyes. "It's supposed to be my first Valentine's Day. It should have been perfect. Why does the universe hate me?"

 

"The universe doesn't hate you" Her companion starts, handing her a tissue. "It's just… It's just teaching you to wait. You love Jongdae right?"

 

"Yeah" She nods.

 

"Then you have to wait for him until he learns to believe in love again." Liyin fails to notice quiver in his voice or the sad look in his eyes. "Don't leave him alone because he needs an anchor and that's you. If you love someone, you are willing to wait tens, hundred, thousands of years, until he learns to love you back"

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"It's like twilight" Yixing says, gazing at the stars, tone light and happy. "I'm Edward, you're Bella. Your head on my shoulder and my head on yours while we gaze at the stars."

 

"Why am I the girl?" Jongdae teases, loving The way Yixing plays with his hair.

 

"I didn't mean it that way" Yixing laughs. "I'm sorry if I hurt your pride"

 

"I have you for a friend and a lover, I don't have any pride left in me" Jongdae says and Yixing places a tiny kiss on the crown of his head before a long bout of silence fell upon them. Comfortable silence. "Yixing, what would our life be ten years from now?"

 

"Well…" Yixing starts. "Ten years from now, I'd imagine we would be living in a large apartment with two little rascals named Zhihan and Angel. Baekhyun would still be ruining our life along with Minseok and Kyungsoo but they would hold the title of the bestest Friends anyone could ever imagine"

 

"Will you ever leave me?"

 

Yixing stiffens at the question before bursting out into laughter. "I love you. I won't ever leave you alone"

 

"You're just saying that now but somewhere in the future you'll get tired of me and…"

 

"Jongdae, I love you" Yixing repeats sternly. "And if I'll ever leave you, I'll come back. I promise you I will. If you love someone, you'll always come back no matter how large the distance is"

 

"If you really love someone…" Jongdae meets Yixing's eyes. " …you won't ever leave them alone"

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

On February 15, Liyin finds herself again knocking on Jongdae's door. There were no Baekhyun, Minseok, or Kyungsoo present to taunt her and somehow she feels grateful of being alone to talk with her boyfriend. "Dae, it's me Yin"

 

It's eerily silent on the other side and Liyin wonders if Jongdae left early in the morning to get breakfast. Baekhyun had said that Jongdae had a tendency to fast during Valentine's Day. "Jongdae, are you…?"

 

"What do you want?" The door opens to the sight of a sleepy yet smiling Jongdae wrapped in his favorite pink blanket. The gloomy aura that Jongdae had exhibited a day before was gone in exchange of the usual fake cheery disposition.

 

"I---I want to check up on you. You were really…"

 

"I'm sorry if I was being an yesterday" Jongdae sheepishly smiles, cutting through LiYin's statement. Ever since she had heard the story of Jongdae's bestfriend from Baekhyun, it was now easier for Liyin to discern the broken look in Jongdae's eyes. "It's Just that I don't do…"

 

"Valentine's Day?" A nod. "I understand."

 

"You do?" Jongdae says, shock prominent in his voice.

 

"Not entirely" Liyin smiles. "It still hurt me that you've ruined my plans for a perfect Valentine's Day but I should accept the fact that not everything would go my way. Some people just have a negative view on Valentine's Day and I want to help you believe in it again. Believe in love. Believe in us"

 

"Yin, I don't think it would be that easy to fix me" Jongdae says in sadness.

 

"I love you" Liyin smiles. "I love you and I'am willing to wait until you find it in your heart to forget the pain of the past and finally let me in."

 

"I…"

 

"Thank You" Liyin begins, presenting a stalk of pink rose Infront of Jongdae. "I will love you" She takes another rose from behind her, this time a color red, and Jongdae stares at her as if she had grown another head. And maybe she does 'cause she's educating him about flowers.

 

"Eternally" Jongdae finishes when the last rose is handed to him.

 

Liyin laughs sheepishly at being caught. "A friend taught me that"

 

"Who?"

 

"I never caught his name"

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

"I'm Yixing and I represent art"

 

"I'm Jongdae and I'm a giant bell"

 

A loud laugh, echoing throughout the surrounding  empty streets of Hangang river  at one-thirty am. "And this is our first Valentine's Day" a happy scream to the river below.