Apologies and an Engagement Party

Oh My Baby!!

“Jongdae! Jongdae! Open the door, please” Baekhyun begs to the male locked inside the bedroom. Baekhyun never meant it for Jongdae to hear. Baekhyun didn’t mean to break his best friend’s heart. He didn’t mean it. He never meant to make Jongdae cry all alone inside his room. “Jongdae! I’m sorry. I’m sorry if I was planning on keeping the truth from you but I wanted to protect you.”

“Go home, Baekhyun” Jongdae screams from behind the door, voice broken and hoarse.

“Jongdae”

“I said go home!!” Jongdae screams and if the door was open, Baekhyun would have been hit with something hard and breakable (a loud crash being a proof of that). “Leave me alone! I want to be alone”

“Jong—“

“Leave him” Luhan puts a hand on Baekhyun’s shoulder before offering a small smile. “He’ll recover in the morning but for now I think it’s best if you and the others go home”

“But Jongdae?”

“I’ll take care of him” Luhan answers the male and Baekhyun nods. Luhan then escorts the three friends out of the apartment before the door slams shut in front of them.

Once on their journey downstairs did Baekhyun finally broke down followed by Minseok. Kyungsoo never once for being emotional didn’t know what to do but instead pat each of his friends in the back. Deciding that it would be best to sit away the sadness. It took five minutes for Baekhyun to pull himself together while Minseok decided that it would be better to just stare out the distance. “I guess were not the good friends we pride ourselves to be. We made Jongdae cry and he never cries.”

“Was it wrong just to keep everything a secret, Kyungsoo?”

“No, it wasn’t” Kyungsoo answers to Baekhyun. “It’s just that everything’s crashing onto Jongdae’s head all at the same time and this is just another blow to the gut.”

“Maybe we should also tell Yixing about baby Zhang” Minseok says in a daze and Baekhyun reaches out to slap Minseok in the head.

“You are an idiot” Baekhyun spats. “You’re just making more problems for all of us.”

“I just want Yixing to share the burden” Minseok states with a very bitter smile. “He can’t just go and have fun with his life while Jongdae is here being miserable.”

“He’s right, Baekhyun” Kyungsoo agrees. “We should really tell Yixing about this. This might be karma for Jongdae but it’s still a wish meant for Yixing.”

“And you really think if we tell Yixing about this he could save Baby Zhang from being given to another?” Baekhyun asked, facing his friend, emotion devoid from his face. Minseok tries to answer a yes but he knows Jongdae is stubborn my nature. Nothing would change his decision, not even Liyin herself. Silence descends upon the three, not moving from their spots on the stairs.

“Once upon a time my bestfriend fell in love. So deeply in love that he would so everything to keep that one boy beside him. But then fate intervened and everything changed.” Kyungsoo narrates, gaze set on one lighted window with shadows moving from behind it, breaking the deafening silence. “He became the person his friends can’t remember ever meeting but they stayed anyway. And you know why?”

“Why?”

“Because they promised to be by his side through thick and thin.” Kyungsoo continued. “Because that’s what the bestest of friends do…”

“Yeah”

~~~~

Jongdae wakes up to the smell of something burning from his kitchen and loud quarrelling. He had cried himself to sleep last night and he could feel his heavy eyes obstructing his vision. “Luhan? Luhan, did you burn something?” Jongdae rises from his bed, rubbing his still sleepy, eyes before heading towards the door and his kitchen. “Lu—“

“Surprise!!” His friends screeches at his face and Jongdae blinks at then dumbly. Taking in the sight of his kitchen decorated with countless balloons and streamers. His eyes twitches at the mess but his heart warms up at the gesture.

“Wha-what is this for?”

“It’s an apology breakfast party” Baekhyun exclaims with a huge smile. “This was spontaneous but it really helps if you have a witch for a friend.”

“Huh? What does that supposed to mean?” Jongdae questions getting dragged to the breakfast table by a happy Luhan.

“He means that they forced me to put a small sleeping spell on you” Luhan answers with a grin.

“What?!”

“We wanted you to sleep for a little while longer to set everything up” Baekhyun answers, placing a placemat infront of Jongdae before Kyungsoo came in with a glass of orange juice followed by Minseok who then places a ball of soup on the placemat. “We are really sorry for what we did last night.”

“We didn’t mean to be the worst friends anyone could ever have” Kyungsoo continues and Jongdae stares at his soup which he now recognizes as an alphabet soup. The words I’m sorry floating atop the liquid with a small sad face in the end and Jongdae lets out a small grin at the sight.

“We just wanted what was best for you even if it was really y” Minseok follows after Kyungsoo and before Jongdae can blink all of his three friends are on their knees asking for his apology. “So please senpai, forgive us”

“Senpai?” Luhan snorts and Baekhyun kicks him on the ankle for being insensitive.

“You know I can’t stay mad at the three of you, don’t you?” Jongdae asked trying to pull his friends up their feet. It wasn’t every day Jongdae finds a diva, the dark lord, and a baozi bowing infront of him and as much as he wants to appreciate the sight more, he’s hormones begs him to cry and he despised crying. “I know all three of you meant well but guys I don't like being kept in the dark. So all three of you, no all four of you, should never keep secrets from me again or else.”

“or else what?” Jongdae smiles creepily at his four beautiful friends and before anyone of them could blink each of them an aching body part to tend to for the day. A sharp jab on the stomach for Baekhyun, a kick on the for Minseok, a stinging slap on the face for Kyungsoo, and a flick on the forehead for Luhan, manage to calm Jongdae's wrecked and bruised ego.

~~~~~

“Why won't it fit?”

“Try harder Baekhyun. You’re not putting that much force into it”

“And why do you think that would be, Kyungsoo?”

“Because you're a sissy” Kyungsoo grins mockingly and Baekhyun snarls at him. It was an hour before the dreaded engagement party and the gang is currently facing a serious problem. Various serious problems to be exact.

First problem of the day: Yixing had come to visit unexpectedly in the morning, being all giddy and cute. The gang caught off guard could only stare at Yixing with horror especially when Jongdae decided that it would be best time to puke out all of his organs in front of Yixing (well not really in front, but the kitchen sink was in front Yixing so…). Silence invaded the whole atmosphere of the room before Baekhyun gave out a maniacally laugh and threw Yixing out of the apartment. Yixing could only blink once when the door was slammed shut right in front of his face.

Second Problem of the day: After Yixing left there was a sudden change in the atmosphere, suffocating the whole gang. Kyungsoo in his whole life had only met a grumpy Jongdae twice. It wasn't the best experience he would want to narrate to his children, ever. Because a grumpy Jongdae would always lead to a demanding, sadistic Jongdae. Minseok was just happy that he managed to cling onto Luhan before the witch decided it was best to disappear before the volcano erupted. Upside to having a witch for a friend: They are good escape routes.

Third problem of the Day: With Minseok and Luhan gone to who knows where, Kyungsoo and Baekhyun had decided to just accept their fate. Maybe if they were good Jongdae might return back to normal immediately. They were wrong. Jongdae might not be grumpy anymore but he does get a little bit sensitive to some stuff.

“I can't believe it” Baekhyun exclaims, observing the mess they made in Jongdae's room. Different colored suits thrown in the floor, all signature branded, and a size too small for his friend. “That was the last suit and it still didn't fit you. We only have about forty-five minutes left and you're still in your underwear. This is bad”

“Well it's not my fault that they weren't made to stretch” Jongdae munches on a donut and Baekhyun took it forcefully from the pregnant male’s hold.

“Would you stop eating, please?” Baekhyun orders to pregnant male who scoffs in his position in the bed. “This is the reason why you don't fit in your clothes anymore. You’ve become too big”

“Are you calling me fat?” Jongdae gasps, heart clenching tightly in his chest. Curse these hormones for making Jongdae's camel eyes a little bit teary.

“Yes… I'am calling you fat” If Baekhyun wasn't hit in the head when he was kid, he would have noticed the sudden change of expression marring Jongdae's face. He could also have noticed Kyungsoo backing away for his own salvation. Baekhyun was never the observant type, so when Kyungsoo was finally out of the room and seated in the comfy lavender couch, did all hell break lose. “WAIT! NO JONGDAE! DON’T CRY!!!!!

---

The gang arrived to the engagement party a little late. Minseok and Luhan had come to Baekhyun's rescue just at the right time, before any more damage was done to the diva’s face. Both of them went out shopping for two straight hours and had managed to buy Jongdae a suit for the occasion. Baekhyun was ecstatic at the announcement but couldn't really move his aching face. Jongdae is just too strong.

The attire fits perfectly on Jongdae but it doesn't hide the fact that Jongdae had grown a little weight for the past three months. The friends could only hope no one would notice but if Yixing didn’t than probably nobody would. They might have also excluded the fact that Yixing was a silent observer.

“Jongdae, you’ve made it” Yoona greets the gang with her beautiful dazzling smile along with Yixing in tow.

“Of course I would. I wouldn’t want to miss the free food” Jongdae says with his own smile, showing the two lovers his plate filled with various finger foods and sweets that made Baekhyun squeak in objection. Jongdae wasn’t allowed near any sugar. “Do you want some Yoona?”

“Oh no, thank you” Yoona turns the offer down, gently. “I don’t want to spoil my appetite or maybe hurt my growing baby. By the way Jongdae, me and Yixing…”

“Yixing and I” Luhan corrects and Minseok stomps on Luhan’s feet as a warning for opening his mouth.

“Yeah Yixing and I are expecting our first child together” Yoona announces, clinging onto Yixing in delight, and if the gang was as observant as Kyungsoo they would have noticed the slight grimace in Yixing’s face. “Isn’t that great?”

“That is great. Very great” Jongdae fakes a smile. “Hope you both are good parents to your offsprings. Wouldn’t want that thing to experience having an obnoxious mother” the gang chuckles at the subtle—not really—subtle insult.

“What?!”

“Nothing.” Jongdae says innocently. “I just said congratulations and have a good life.”

“Hopefully” Minseok coughs and it was Luhan’s turn to step on his left foot hard.

“Now I need to find Liyin. Toodles!” Jongdae leaves the soon to be wedded pair with the gang following in tow. Baekhyun frantically getting the plate of sugar away from Jongdae’s reach while Luhan skips away in happiness by Jongdae’s side.

“Hey Yixing. Don’t you think Jongdae’s grown a bit of weight?” Yoona asked.

“He’s on vacation. What do you expect?” Yixing answers.

---

For the first few hours of the party everything seems to be in the proper order until the clock strike ten. Jongdae and Liyin were together the whole hour before the dreaded time with the gang following in tow. Baekhyun doesn’t want to leave his bestfriend alone for himself in case of a problem. Kyungsoo and Minseok didn’t want to leave Jongdae behind since his presence scares away possible ert. And Luhan didn’t want to leave Jongdae behind because he enjoys watching his new friends getting into trouble.

Nothing really changed between Liyin and Jongdae’s interactions but if any did it would be the lack of skinship between the two. Jongdae doesn’t want to be touched at all and Liyin was okay with that. Liyin understands Jongdae’s weird habits or tantrums and had learned to adjust herself when it comes to this types of thing. Liyin was always ready in case Jongdae decided to be his weird self but not tonight. Definitely not that night.

“Jongdae. I don’t know if you’ve noticed but you're kind of getting big” Liyin comments to her fiancé. Jongdae looks at her confusion and Liyin tries again. “I don’t know if it’s your suit but you’re gaining weight Jongdae and I’m just concerned.”

“Are you telling me I’m fat?” Jongdae whispers in horror and teary looking eyes.

“Nonononono!” Liyin denies when she senses the sudden change of aura from her beloved. “I’m just saying that you’ve grown some weight and this isn’t like you and Jongdae don’t cry”

Jongdae sniffles in front of Liyin and the older girl panics. Jongdae never cries over petty things and this is new to her. Where was Baekhyun when you need him? “I didn’t know my weight was making you sad Liyin. I’m sorry I didn’t mean to eat that much and…” another sniffle before the first drop of tear came followed by another and another and another and where the hell is Baekhyun?!

“Jongdae! Jongdae! Its alright I still love you” Liyin wipes her fiance’s tears away but they just keep coming. Jongdae blames his hormones for his current mood.

“That’s what you wanted me to hear” Jongdae snaps at the girl. One minute he was crying the next he was mad and Liyin really needs Baekhyun’s help. “Because you don’t love me anymore!” A wail and Liyin is now both confused and frantic.

“No Jong—Baekhyun!!” Liyin screams in the crowded hall, getting everyone’s attention before a frantic Baekhyun comes running towards the two lovers.

“Sorry! Sorry! I really needed to use the bathroom and I asked Luhan to be here and where is that witch” Baekhyun blabbers. “And Oh my god! Jongdae”

“Baekhyun! Liyin called me fat” Jongdae whines to his bestfriend and now everyone’s attention was finally on them. Yixing pushes himself through the crowd to help but when Jongdae saw him… “YOU! IT’S YOUR FAULT I LOOK LIKE THIS!!!” Jongdae rages at Yixing who points at himself in confusion.

“What?!”

“If you just didn’t…mmphhh…” Baekhyun clamps a hand on Jongdae’s big mouth with a horrid laugh.

“Baekhyun what’s happening here?” Yixing asked.

“Ahahahaha!!! He just had too much to drink” Baekhyun laughs dryly at the people surrounding them. “I’ll just take him home.”

“Do you want our help?” Liyin and Yixing says at the same time before looking at each other in surprise and then back at Baekhyun.

“Uh…no” Baekhyun declines backing up from the group, a hand still on Jongdae’s hyperactive mouth. “The gang and I will just take him home. No need to worry.”

“But” Liyin and Yixing chorused.

“No really it’s okay I’ll just call Luhan. LUHAN!!!!” Baekhyun screeches before a happy-go-lucky Luhan with the two others pushes themselves in the crowd. Minseok takes a still yelling Jongdae from Baekhyun’s hold and Kyungsoo didn’t even think twice in feeding Jongdae his favorite soymilk drink. “Take us home…”

“No problem” Luhan salutes before ushering the other out but not forgetting to wave at their audience. “See You Later, folks!!”

When the gang disappeared behind big mahogany doors, everyone began dispersing back to their places and Yoona lets out a very mischievous smile to her cousins. “If I didn’t know Jongdae was a boy. I would have think he’s pregnant.”

~~~

Preview: Liyin and Yixing comes to visit Jongdae at his apartment. Someone gets secretly jealous.